“Best food in town”

Ranked #7 of 242 Restaurants in Timisoara
Cuisines: Romanian, Eastern European
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Casa Bunicii has lot to offer in terms of local cuisine, traditional food and traditional cooking technique. We produce almost everything in house and we don't use any artificial or ready made ingredients.Our interior is designed in a warm and homy way. For the kids we have an indor and outdoor playround and a special train animator who play with them durrind dinner time.In the sommer we move out to our green, luxuriant garden.
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best food in town”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I travel a lot and every time I want to experience something new about the local food. Casa Bunicii was the perfect choice for Timisoara. I will definetly come back.

• Visited April 2014

• Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Madrid, Spain
“good place to rest and have lunch or dinner”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

the environment at Casa Bunicii is very comfortable and quiet, which makes it ideal to rest after a long day walking in Timisoara. Food is great, and attention is good, also in English. The only problem is if you are in a hurry, as it takes a while to get the food and pay afterwards

• Visited June 2014
Timisoara, Romania
“This ain't my Grandma's home :(”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

The only good thing about Casa Bunicii's experience was that next to my receipt I was given a small business card to leave my feedback. So here it is:

1. I went there with my 4 y.o. son to grab a quick dinner at the suggestion of another father who told me it was the best place in town, perfect for children. Yes, there is an outdoor playground, but you cannot monitor your child from the table.

2. The waitress (Larisa C.), did not put a smile on her face at all. I have lived abroad for several years. There, a restaurant without a smile means bankruptcy; in Romania however people still act impassible to the elementary rules of cuisine--both customers and staff.

3. Although we were seated on the terrace, I find it unacceptable that in CASA BUNICII (Grandma's Home), people can smoke next to children, even their own ones!!! I could not protect my son from the smoke coming from everywhere, from wealthy fathers to middle-class nose-up mothers who seemed to have come for a parade, rather than eating.

4. The seats are not designed for children! My son had to eat his food standing(!!!), because he is beyond the age of a high-chair, yet the restaurant did not have boosters. In a grandmother's house a grandchild is the most precious guest. But not here, apparently!

5. The soup bowl was so deep, so much so that my son could not eat out of it. So he resorted to bread, although the soup was tasty, but inaccessible.

6. Last but definitely not the least, the prices were ridiculous!!! Maybe a foreigner would not care or have the ability to compare, but as seen below in the attachment, while the soups were all great and fair in pricing, the other little things that we ordered were offensively priced:

- 1(one) pickled hot pepper, 2.90ron (almost $1)
- several slices of bread 1.99ron (you can buy a whole loaf of bread for 2.40ron)
- 1 Prigat Nectar orange juce 7.90ron (!!!), almost 2euros. You can buy it from the corner store for less than 1 euro. Ok, grant it that it is a restaurant, but the added value is a complete rip-off. A grandma who steals from her grandchildren... who has ever heard of one or loved such one person?
- same goes for the sourcream 2.99ron, another $1, when you can buy a whole 200g one for that money.
- the eggplant salad was another disappointing experience. You could probably spread it on one slice of bread (not sure if two), and I paid for it 9.99ron, $3 or 2.5euros, for what??? It is the same price as a soup!

So, if you are seeking advice about your trip and you have children, and do not care about facades, status and the high-life, I would suggest you reorient yourselves.

Once again, I understand it is a restaurant and yes, the maintenance costs are different, including the sitting experience and what not, but still, a juice equal to a soup, an entree as expensive as a main dish, that is bad policy, rip-off, a short cut into making profit to pay off all the investment, and a sure way to lose customers.

To me that is NOT the grandma I knew. It is more like the wolf in disguise.

Cristian from Timișoara.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank Cazacii
Scottsdale AZ
“Great food, reasonable prices and a nice location”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We enjoyed the food at this restaurant. It was a very nice atmosphere with outside seating in a garden, is located pretty close to the old town and very near our hotel. We had local specialties as we would do in all our restaurants in Romania and everything was wonderful. The prices were reasonable though the service was somewhat slow. But it was such a nice atmosphere and the food was so good that we could forgive that.

• Visited May 2014
“Delicous food”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We had a few things of the menu, including desert and we weren't disappointed. The duck breast, one of their specialty, was delicious, although I would have love a bit more garnish. Overall a very good experience.

• Visited May 2014