“A good choice for Cluj-Napoca” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Opera Plaza Hotel

Opera Plaza Hotel
Ranked #9 of 56 Hotels in Cluj-Napoca
Virginia
“A good choice for Cluj-Napoca”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed in this property for five nights on business and would recommend it highly. The hotel is recently opened (two years maybe) in what was once a communist candy factory. The rooms are clean, spacious, and well equipped for the business travler (free wifi, in room safe, largish bathroom, etc.). The location is excellent -- just around the corner from the university, and just a five minute walk from the main tourist attractions of the city (cathedrals, etc.). The staff is very attentive, especially the front desk reception staff, speaks English well, and goes out of their way to provide excellent service. My organization had a meeting here and I especially recommend the 6th floor conference room, with its full views of the city center and large windows. I would stay here again and would hold a meeting here again.

Room Tip: Stay above the 3rd floor if you can. There was a wedding in the hotel on Saturday and being on the 4...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel_Opera_Cluj, Front Office Manager at Opera Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear tkelly7,

I hope my email finds you well and I want to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is always such a delight to hear that our guests enjoyed their time with us.

It is such a delight to find out that you have enjoyed the cleanliness of the room, its dimensions as well as the facilities provided. Moreover, I am very glad that our location was suitable to your schedule and that you were pleased by our staff's attitude, I will make sure to share your comments with the team. Nevertheless, I am so sorry to find out that you did not have a proper rest on Saturday and I wish we would have know about it then, your room would have been immediately changed to with another one located at an upper floor. I will communicate this matter to our Events department so that from now on, measurements will be taken during all future events.

I sincerely hope that this inconvenience will not diminished your contentment towards our level of service.

Yours sincerely,
Alina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

didn't stay at this hotel but spend several hours in the restaurant as i participated at a wedding here. the hotel is situated just 2 min from the center of the city.

what i can say is that the service was perfect, the lobby and the restaurant looked very good. they have a big menu, both romanian and international types of food, very well cooked but some dishes looked better than they tasted unfortunately. i'm not sure about the rooms prices but from what i've seen i would stay here

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank deired
Hotel_Opera_Cluj, Front Office Manager at Opera Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor member,

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am glad to read that our location corresponded to your needs, that you were satisfied by our service and that overall you have enjoyed the menu. However, I sincerely apologies that not all dishes were cooked to your liking, perhaps we will have another occasion in the future to better serve you and then you will also benefit from the other services an facilities that OPERA Plaza provides.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Opera Plaza Hotel we would like to thank you for the high scores you have awarded us and we truly hope that you will return.
Mountain View, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stayed 6 nights at the Opera Plaza Hotel, one of the two "5 star" hotels in Cluj. Though it may be 5 star by Romanian standards, I'd rank it more like a low 4 star or high 3 star by American standards; maybe comparable to a nice Hilton or Hyatt but with more personality. Things I really liked about the hotel:
- location. A convenient 10 minute walk into the heart of Cluj's city center
- room size. I had an upgraded room, and it was HUGE!
- quiet. Perhaps the most remarkable thing was that the room was very quiet. I rarely heard any outside noise, and I didn't hear any internal noise at all. Given how noisy most European hotels are, and given this hotel's location so close to the city center, its soundproofing was amazingly successful.
- breakfast (included in the room rate). The breakfast was extremely generous and served in a very nicely decorated room.
- fast Internet WiFi. That always boosts my feelings towards a hotel!
- price: 60 Euros/night (heavily discounted because it was a conference rate), an amazing bargain by European standards.

The hotel had several other amenities, such as an indoor pool, fitness center, business center and cheap massages, that I didn't take advantage of.

I knocked the hotel's grade down because, despite its efforts, some of the amenities weren't up to snuff. Examples:
- incredibly overworked mattress, worse than what I'd expect at a Motel 6
- air conditioner wasn't powerful enough for the large room
- something (the shower?) leaked a lot of water onto the bathroom floor

Also, like most European hotels, the bed didn't have a top sheet (I ended up using a towel) and the hotel didn't provide shampoo or conditioner (I now always bring my own to Europe).

None of these limitations materially diminished my enjoyment, but they were inconsistent with a "top-of-the-line" hotel offering.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hotel_Opera_Cluj, Front Office Manager at Opera Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Mr. Goldman,

On behalf of the OPERA Plaza I would like to express our gratitude for your time taken to submit your review on the Trip Advisor website after being accommodated here while traveling to Cluj.

I am so pleased that you have enjoyed the upgraded room offered; as many time possible, we are trying to give superior rooms to our guests, especially when having a long stay reservation; it is such a satisfaction to know that the room was quiet enough for you- indeed the peaceful area where we are located in as well as the soundproofing of the hotel are of great help in having a proper rest when staying at the OPERA Plaza. So nice to hear that the location of our property, right in the Old City Center/ few minutes walking away from main attractions of the city, was also convenient for you!

Thank you for sharing with us and with all Trip Advisor readers your appreciation for our breakfast menu and Wi-Fi facilities, both included in the room rate for all travelers choosing to stay at the OPERA Plaza. The rate applied to your reservation was a Conference one and I am so content that it has corresponded to your budget. Likewise, it will be our greatest honor to have you back if ever returning to Cluj, we will make sure that you will benefit of rewarding rooms rates as we always have special deals in place. Perhaps, with another occasion you will have more time for recreation and you will enjoy the free access to our health center (indoor swimming pool, sauna, fitness room) and the massage service as well.

I would also like to thank you for summarizing the aspects that have not met your expectations completely. Your observations will give us the opportunity to make improvements, where necessary. I have already informed our Housekeeping Manager about your remarks; all mattresses will be verified and where needed, they will be replaced. The bathroom of your room was already inspected by our maintenance staff: a better isolation of bathtub was done, so that cause of water leakage was terminated. Indeed, as you correctly stated, to use a top sheet is not common practice here. On the other hand, we are always willing to find out more about our guest’s preferences: thus, if we would have known earlier about this, we may have prepared a second sheet in the room, for your convenience. For all that, I sincerely hope that the lack of the top sheet did not cause too much inconvenience for you. Among toiletries that we are daily provide to our guests’ there is also a 2in1 shampoo/conditioner; the chambermaid who was responsible for maintaining cleanliness of your room will be questioned in this matter. Kindly ask you to take into consideration the fact that this sort of negligence does not normally happened.

I appreciate your honest feedback, which enables us to continue with the Opera Plaza standards of service for all our Guests or make improvement if necessary. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back to the Opera Plaza in a near future where we can meet or exceed your expectations.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

We spent few days in July 2012 as part of our heritage trip to Romania and it was a most pleasant stay.
We enjoyed the swimming pool and the staff recommendations for visiting the city were useful.
Breakfast was delicious. Not your jet set 5 stars but truly old time Central European experience.Nice rhythm break.
My teenage children were delighted.

Room Tip: We were advised to book an apartment for two grown-ups and 3 kids. It came out as a good deal an...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 84Andrea84
Hotel_Opera_Cluj, Front Office Manager at Opera Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Andrea,

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your review and for the maximum scores that you have awarded us with on the TripAdvisor website. It is always such a delight to hear that our guests enjoyed their time with us.

It is a contentment to hear that you were satisfied by the staff`s attitude towards our guests, by the information they have provided and that you have enjoyed our services and facilities: breakfast service, the indoor swimming pool and the accommodation proposal.

On behalf of our entire team here at the Opera Plaza Hotel we would like to thank you for your kind thoughts and we truly hope that you will return.
BELGIUM
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

I have been staying several times in this hotel. It is not a big 5 star complex but rather a small hotel. All personel is very friendly and professional. They do give you all the attention you need.
The rooms are big and comfortable. The free wifi does not work in every room but there is internet by cable available. The bathrooms are very nice and very clean. I did not try any other hotel in Cluj yet. So I am not sure this hotel is the best option. But I can assure it is a good option.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest from PR Interiors,

I would like to express our gratitudine towards yourself for having chosed to stay at the Opera Plaza every time when traveling to Cluj. Furthermore, on behalf of the property that I represent, I would like to say "Thank you" for your time taken to submit your review about Opera Plaza.

It means a lot to us that you have enjoyed the attitude of my colleagues, the room dimensions as well as the cleanliness. Concerning the Wi-Fi Internet, thank you for informing us about the connectivity inconvenience that you have experienced sometime during your repeated stays and let me mention the fact that we are now at the stage of improving and adding extra access points on every floor of the hotel in order to obtain a better signal. I hope all will be in place for your next stay with us.

Once again, thank you kindly for your high scores that you have awarded us with and for the positive review. It is always the feedback of our guests what enables us to continue with the Opera Plaza standards of service for all our Guests or make improvement if necessary.
Doha, Al Jahra, Kuwait
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

My stay in this hotel for a week was more than comfortable. Although not "5 star" by usual Western standards, this hotel is clean and comfortable. Boutique in size, it also has a pleasant atmosphere. The staff are lovely and whilst they don't tend to anticipate your needs, once asked they are more than accommodating. Most of the staff have very good English skills and those that don't try their best and will find an English speaking colleague. Free wifi is available throughout the hotel.

The rooms are spacious, clean and well maintained. Fluffy bath robes and slippers are provided. The window in my room also opened which scores extra points from me as I like the fresh air.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the breakfast buffet is simple but you are more than able to find something to begin your day. Freshly squeezed orange juice and omelettes made to order are available. The room service menu is extensive and the quality of food is very good; prices are very reasonable also.

Overall, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hotel_Opera_Cluj, Front Office Manager at Opera Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Dear Ms. Fennelly,

It was our greatest pleasure to have you here as our guest. Thank you for taking the time to submit your review as well as for the high scores that you have awarded us with and the kind words. We are always grateful when we receive feedback from our Guests, as it gives us the opportunity to continue the level of service that we provide, or make improvements, if necessary.

We are very glad that you have enjoyed the cleanliness of the room and of the hotel in general, especially taking into consideration the fact that this is one of our priorities and we strive to maintain it at a high level, as we are well aware that it is an important aspect to all travelers. Furthermore, thank you for appreciating the atmosphere, the size of your room, the Wi-Fi connection and the endeavor of our staff. Ahead, we will do our best to try and better respond to our guests' needs and improve the English level for those who need it. I do hope that we were able to offer you sufficient options for breakfast as you have had a long stay; when you will be back next time-which we sincerely hope will happen- if you will not find what you wish for that morning or if you would like to have something in particular, just let us know and we will try to provide it on the spot for you.

I wish you to have a safe trip back home and we truly hope that you will return.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

More expensive than most hotels in Cluj but probably one of best upscale options in the city. First room had no wifi access, we were moved right away to another room. Excellent breakfast buffet with made to order omelettes, AC worked well given terrible July heat, indoor pool, free underground garage, everything spotless and new, good central location. Would definitely recommend it. Helpful staff!

Room Tip: Larger rooms facing street don't receive WiFi signal, take one on the hall even if you have to s...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, Front Office Manager at Opera Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Dear Ms. Avery,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you and your family for choosing to stay with us while traveling to Cluj. Moreover, the high scores that you have awarded us with on the TripAdvisor website as well as the kind words are greatly appreciated. We are very pleased to hear that you were satisfied by our breakfast service that you have found it to correspond to your needs, the location of the property and its other facilities such as the free underground parking, the AC and the indoor swimming pool. Should you ever return to Cluj, we sincerely hope that you will stay at the OPERA Plaza once again. We will make sure that you will benefit of our special loyalty room rates, special upgrades to superior rooms and anything else needed so that your stay will be a memorable one.

Concerning the WiFi signal, indeed at times when the hotel is fully occupied- as it was when you were here-it works a little bit slower; the wired connectivity can be used at any times without any restriction and it always works flawless. Nevertheless, there is a great need of good wireless connection for the new devices such as iPhone or iPad, therefore I have already informed our IT staff about this and we will make sure to upgrade our WiFi connection so that our guests will not have this inconvenience in the future.

On behalf of our entire staff, I would like to express our gratitude for your honest feedback and we are hoping to have you back soon.