“A surprising Gem in Cluj”
Review of Deja Vu

Deja Vu
Ranked #23 of 56 Hotels in Cluj-Napoca
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I booked this pension by chance (I wanted to stay in the street in which my mother was born many years ago), without any expectation. I was glad to find a beautiful little property, decorated in Gaudi style. The room was spacious and pleasent (though simple). We had an excellent dinner. The staff consists of lovely and pretty girls from whom I and my wife parted with kisses. If ever I get back to Cluj I'll stay in Deja Vu for sure.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Deja Vu

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Despite some bad reviews, I've decided to take the chances... It worth every penny! Good location, clean and nice room, well equipped, very friendly staff, good cuisine, my room had a private little garden, so I warmly recommend it to others!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Constantin-Hori... B
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Just back from a break in Cluj-Napoca where we stayed in a simple pension - this is not a hotel and doesn't claim to be.

Location: Distance from airport 20 mins in a taxi price 20 RON. Distance to city centre - It would be a good 20 minute/half hour walk to the centre - but a taxi takes a few mins and costs 5 RON - £1 sterling - work out your own rate of exchange. it's not far to a very good park which houses a lovely restaurant and bar overlooking the boating lake and a casino all a good 10 minutes stroll away. If you search out there are plenty of other bars nearby and even an italian restarant 50 yards away.

Rooms - are adequate. The double bed is two singles pushed together - with two sepatate duvets - what's the problem with that at least you don't spend the whole night with someone hogging the duvet. It has air con so you can adjust room temp to suit your needs - it was 32C when we were there and thankful for aircon as the skylight windows do not open. Small tv - well I don't understand Romanian anyway so what's the point but I did find 2 english channels from the 15 or so. Plenty of storage and space in the room and even a fridge. The bathroom is clean and tidy though the hot water takes 6 minutes to arrive just let it run whilst you clean your teath before taking a shower! The room was cleaned twice out of the five days - well we did sleep in and it was nice not to have maids banging on the door every 20 mins to get you out. Just remember it's a pension not a hotel.

Food - we did have breakfast on two mornings - awful coffee and couldn't make a decent cup of black tea as the water wasn't hot enought but fruit tea was fine - usual basic selection of cheese and meats, yougurt and cereals, there was a small hot selection of eggs, frankfurter and eggy bread, a few cakes and the dreaded cheese pastry - a delicacy I won't be trying again. It was adequate but nothing to blow your mind - it was afterall a continental breakfast in a pension not a five star hotel so surprised that we even had so much choice.

Back to the pension - the staff were very helpful and spoke english - and went out of their way to make us have a great stay. They looked things up on the internet for us and helped us with map reading. And even made us a packed breakfast on our last day. Wifi I think is available now but check - many, if not all bars and cafes in town have free wifi.

I noted that there was not a lot of parking but you can park on the street so no problem there.

Sorting out the bill - no problem.

I would recommend the Deja Vu as a place to stay if you are on a budget. We had friends who were paying twice as much for a night as we paid for our whole stay and the only difference was they were further out of town, more noise and a rather posh trendy interior.

Room Tip: Maybe splurge and have a suite I think there were some rooms with extra space - thought our room No...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank getaroundkaty
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel is hard to review. It is a strange place. Having read the reviews in advance our expectations were low but it was the same price of a hostel, so we took it. It is very weird that in 2012 they don't have wifi in the rooms, only hard wired ethernet! The decoration of the outside and downstairs is beautiful and modern. The rooms were OK as far as decoration, but without windows. As far as I could see from peaking at other rooms, no rooms have windows on the side, only a strange hard to reach ceiling window. There was a tiny TV placed in a corner at a low level, hard to watch if you lie in bed. There was a fridge. The smell of smoke unfortunately was everywhere. We asked for a king size bed as shown in expedia as an option but got two beds put together. The beds were good, not soft. The bathrooms were small and the faucett was falling out. The staff was very friendly. Breakfast was good, some fruits, coffee, milk, eggs, only white bread and fried bread, saussage, cheese, cereals, non-natural juice, ham, jam, butter, real honey, a tasty spread, some simple bag waffles and I am probably forgetting something. Coffee was cold and even colder when mixed with the cold milk, but they warmed it up on the microwave at my request on the first day and the second day the girl offered it before I asked. The location is not central but 15 minutes by foot through a nice park to the center and 2 euros by taxi from the train station. Definitely a place that has potential if they only invested in a wifi router a TV stand and a chair with back support for those that want to work on the desk.

We stayed 2 nights and didn't get the room cleaned, nobody knocked to clean it, perhaps because they knew I was there for a few hours in the afternoon.

Room Tip: I guess you could email making sure you get a king size bed if they have any, or a room with a windo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FlyFlyFreely
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Let's start with the location. Their website tells us that the pension(this joint is hardly a hotel) is located 5 minutes away from the center of the city. 5 minutes by taxi, that is. A walk from Deja Vu Hotel to the Center would take you 40 minutes if you know the city and 20 minutes if you take a bus. The location is pretty secluded, and there is nothing to see in this area.

Secondly, my husband and I reserved a double room that was described as having a king size bed. The room looked totally different than the one in the photos on the website and the bed wasn't a king size bed, there were two little beds joined together with two separate covers.

Needless to say, this arrangement wasn't comfortable at all for us, we could barely have some sleep on our first night(we had reserved 4 nights), partly because there was a gap in the middle of the bed(where the two little beds were joined) and because we had to cover ourselves with 2 separate bed covers.

The next day we asked the receptionist to change our room with the one that was shown in the picture when we were tricked into making reservation by the fake presentation, but she was very cheeky and disrespectful when she told us that we had to pay more if we wanted that room and that the bed we had, was indeed king size, practically calling us stupid. We asked for the manager who didn't want to speak to us at first, but after waiting for her highness for a half an hour on a Sunday afternoon. She was very rude to us, my husband and I said "hello" and introduced ourselves, but she wouldn't acknowledge my presence, like I wasn't there, before even saying anything about our issue. We explained our problem with the room and asked her for the room that was shown in the picture, the one we paid for. The pension was empty by the way, we were the only guests staying there and now I know why.

Finally, after telling us it is our fault we picked that room and that she is doing us a favor and we should be more careful next time, like there would be a next time.The fault belonged to them because they falsely promote their "hotel". We threatened to call the Romanian consumer protection institution and one minute later, we got what we paid for in the first place.

The TV screens are tiny, the TV in our first room didn't work at all, the bathrooms are tiny, you have to wait for five minutes for the water to get warm, the little fridge wasn't working either. Also, the service is terrible and the food is stale.

I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't do it :)
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank cztraveler7
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Having been to Romania before, but never Cluj, we arrived late in the evening and needed a place to stay. The staff here was very accomodating to us although we checked in after their normal business hours. Parking is limited and you need to park along the street, which is fine because the neighborhood is quiet and seems safe.

Our room was one of the ones without a window. It didn't bother us as there is not much to see outside in this area of town. Overall the room was nicely organized, clean, and even came equipped with an air conditioner and stocked mini bar!

I have only a few complaints because of the price of the room...The toilet and the sink were not properly attached to the wall/floor and were loose. This was a bit annoying every time I used the toilet as it rattled and shook. Also, the television was small and dated...again, it was fine BUT the remote control was so old I had to hold together the front and back and firmly press down, just to adjust the volume. These may be small things if you are in the room just to sleep. But, if you are spending a few days in Cluj-Napoca you may not want to spend them all here.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2011

First off, the staff was very helpful and accomodating. The rooms however were just okay. Smoking is allowed in the rooms and they filter into your room. I did not like this at all. There is no lift, so if you have heavy luggage, you will have to take them up the stairs, so be aware of this. The restaurant food quality was fine, but the breakfast was just average. Nothing really special. There is limited parking, but it was sufficient. The hotel is located in a nice, residential area and there is a nice Chinese restaurant up the street that gives a nice view of Cluj-Napoca. Overall, though, I would probably stay at a different location.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends