“Always read the small print”

Restaurant Shanghai
Ranked #57 of 424 Restaurants in Cluj-Napoca
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: Shanghai Restaurant opened in Cluj in April of 1998, through the efforts of three partners - two Romanians and a Chinese. From the very beginning, we have been committed to providing guests with a truly unique experience - fine dining and quality service in a pleasant atmosphere. Throughout all these years, we continued to perfect our restaurants to surpass guests' expectations, thus managing to gain a special place among Cluj's varied restaurants.
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My lack of attention to detail is something that I can get criticised for at work and indeed Mrs O can get frustrated that I sometimes don't know minor details like which airline we are flying with, what time the flight is and so on. I thought the restaurant adjacent to our hotel would be the last place to expose this flaw in my makeup. I'd taken a risk in tempting Mrs O out of our very very comfortable suite to go to the restaurant rather than take room service. To be honest my expectations were pretty low, the only Chinese restaurant in a city with hardly any Chinese community meant that I expected either a tourist Chinese like you get in Marbella or maybe something that leaned towards its Romanian location. What we got however was a very agreeable restaurant with impeccable service a very welcome no smoking room and food that was very good. Chinese food is so much part of British life so has become very emotive and I am still yet to find one that betters the one near my student digs in the north of England. I couldn't tell you this was the best Chinese in Romania or even Cluj but it is very good and the best Chinese within 100 yards of that very comfortable suite and national geographic channel. Was the Bismarck sunk or scuttled? Who knows.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Reading previous reviews it appears people object to the Fusion aspect of this restaurant, but I had a good experience so you can only tell it like it was. I agree that some of the dishes on the menu were a bit strange but when I went with colleagues we ordered more or less standard Chinese dishes with beef, pork, chicken and seafood dishes from Szechuan and other cuisines, served with rice, and were not disappointed. Unlike a lot of chinese restaurant in Europe, the waiter showed no surprise when bowls and chopsticks were requested by a couple of our number. The food appeared to be of high quality, beef dishes in particular can vary greatly in different chinese restaurants but the beef was from a good cut, tender and tasty, and served quickly. My colleague who paid the bill thought it very reasonable but I don't know the details so can't comment on value other than by hearsay.

Altogether a good experience and I would and will certainly go back.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

This restaurant should be avoided. If they were to advertise that they are serving fusion food, i would understand cooking spaghetti with Chinese food or the fact that the decorations are Japanese.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This seems to be "just" a Chinese restaurant, but I must say that it is an elegant, warmly welcoming, high quality restaurant. This is the place where I bring my closest friends, and all are surprised finding a totally different place - in the best sense of the word - than traditionally expected.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

The food and the services are good, well located, but a little bit overpriced. Full of guests in the evening.