This was the second LUX hotel we stayed in as part of our holiday, and we expected the same if not higher standard as this was billed as the only 5 star hotel in Reunion. We were sadly disappointed.
Check in was strange, our bags were left at the drop off point and we were advised to walk down the short path to reception, where we stood around until a member of staff appeared, who asked if we had booked a room! It was tempting to say no!
We then sat and waited some time before a different member of staff asked if we would like a drink. After waiting again, we were advised our room was ready, we asked about booking the restaurants for dinner because we knew they had limited space, and were told that everything woudl be explained - but it wasn't. we were then taken straight to our room with no explanation of the facilties, layout or availabitiy. We asked again about the restuarants and we were told they would find out - which they did, although what we were told was incorrect as the Orangine was closed for the film festival.
Our deluxe room was what I'd call a standard. No bath robes, limited toiletries, broken bed side lamp, art work missing (lights where they should be but no pictures) and safe locked 'open'. We asked and did get bath robes, although no extra toiletires (moisturiser) the light was fixed and the safe reset. However, this is supposed to be 5 star hotel and you would like to think these things would have been checked before any guest arrived.
Location was on the beach front although the clubhouse (which we eventually found), for water sport equipment and beach towels was behind the bar, some way from the beach.
Food - as previous reviews have said was ok but nothing special.
Evening entertainment, although advertised was limited to two guys playing guitars during one of the evening meals. The bar, which was apparently the hub of the entertainement (hotel description) was usually empty with no entertainment.
Staff - this depended on who you got. They ranged from either being very friendly to totally ignoring you. One night we must have had the 'naughty table' as we were to one side, away from the other guests and had to wave (politely)to get service.
Check out was a vast improvement, we were given a shower room. But when we were picked up the only person to say 'au revoir' was the security guard.
If we visited Reunion again this woudln't be our first choice of hotel, which is a shame as our previous experience of the LUX brand (4 star) had been exceptional.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the western coast of this lush volcanic island, LUX* Saint Gilles (formerly LUX* Ile de La Reunion) faces a shimmering expanse of aqua-blue waters, fringed by a stretch of immaculate sands. Tucked away in acres of beautiful tropical gardens, Creole villas sit in the shade of coconut palms and filao trees, just steps from the coral-sheltered lagoon at L'Hermitage. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your LUX* Saint Gilles reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lux Ile De La Reunion Hotel Saint-Gilles-Les-Bains
- LUX* Saint Gilles Reunion Island/Saint-Gilles-Les-Bains