“The world's best kept secret is out ! ! !”
Review of LUX* Saint Gilles

LUX* Saint Gilles
johannesburg
“The world's best kept secret is out ! ! !”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The world's best kept secret is out ! ! ! Reunion island is a unique island experience combining powerful emotions delivered in absolute French style.
It is clear, once you converse, with locals, all will confirm that the LUX Ile de la Reunion, is the best 5 star establishment on the island. This was my second visit to this grand and relaxed 5 star resort.

As a South African, i immediately realised on how the staff had geared themselves up for welcoming new English speaking markets. I don't know if i am correct, but it seemed at least double the amount of staff spoke English, since our last trip, this past May.

The service was world class and i recommend room 150, part of the newly renovated part of the hotel, and should you need anything what so ever, especially out of the box requests. Ask Christophe Adam. He organised special experiences for us, that i thought were truly impossible.

Room Tip: Ask for the newly renovated much lighter and brighter room concept.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Cyrild572, Responsable réception at LUX* Saint Gilles, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
On behalf of the LUX* Ile de la Réunion team I would like to thank you very much for you review.
We really appreciate you had decided to share with tripadvisor’s users “The world's best kept secret » !
Please don’t wait 5 extras month for your next trip.
Looking forward to welcome you back in a close future.
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Australia
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We arrived late 10.30 pm after flight delay, we were really tired, quick check in and lovely young man took us to our junior suite overlooking front beach. Room Junior Suite 148 was clean and fresh and sheets smoke free. We fell into bed exhausted.

We had arranged with Coriel helicopters a grand tour of Island, after contacting front desk, we rushed down to go and due to hotel staff errors we missed out. No worries arranged for next day but weather changed so missed out on seeing volcano.

In Australia we have a saying if you buy a new car and everything goes wrong, we call it a lemon.

Our room ended up being a lemon. Broken sliding door lock, broken safe, coffee machine flooded,
Fridge wasn't cold under it afterwards. Something walking in the ceiling evening and night.
Insects/ wasps up in opening in roof of verandah,

Now I really am concerned that occupants before us had not informed the staff. Although I have to say, that after many calls and going to front desk, nothing was done, until I demanded that the coffee machine be removed ad it did not turn off.

We have sat down and spoken to Cyril the office manager who replies on this trip advisor site. He was most concerned. we realise we can not speak French and the staff now has English lessons especially for front desk. I have never made to fell uncomfortable by staff before, so not good.

Amazingly the housekeeping staff took care of some areas, our lady had our room spotless and with sign language and faulty French we communicated. Our room is beautiful and clean, bed huge for us, hello where are you bed?

The resort itself is fantastic, the staff at pool and in restaurants made sure no smokers were near us, isn't that great? Loved the hamburgers, huge meal for us.

We enjoyed breakfast and had meal on grill night in same area. Lamb and meats were delicious, the French are excellent in this area, only thing is the kangaroo meat has to be cooked, no rawness, as Australians we know this, forget new age chefs on TV! Chef cut the meat and re cooked, it was delicious.

Now Aussies don't be put off, this is a great place to visit.

I recommend this lovely looking resort in great location. We are sure that the negative areas will be fixed by a very thorough and concerned manager. Thank you for listening Cyril.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank elinas
Cyrild572, Responsable réception at LUX* Saint Gilles, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you very much for your review following your stay at LUX* Ile de la Réunion.
I would like also to thank you very much for your attitude, I really appreciate the fact you had request to sit with me before you left and informed me about the difference inconveniences you met. We already discussed about many things so I would like, once again, to present you sincere apologies for all the inconveniences you met.
I shared of course your review with the management and I am pleased to inform you that everything in the suite is now repaired. You cannot imagine how this kind of feedback is important for us so once again thank you very much for your review.
I do hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in a close future in order to show you how we have been able to improve the quality of our service.
Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed September 20, 2013

During a recent trip to Reunion I spent the last two nights at the LUX and from the moment of driving into the hotel it showed some pedigree but on closer look also some areas where improvements can be made.
An imposing porch made way for a an equally impressive reception and lounge area. Check in was unproblematic, no forms to fill though included in the 'welcome pack' and expected to be returned to reception at a guest's leisure.
The rooms, in units of 8, four ground floor level and four on the upper level - though I gather there are villas available which due to time constraints I was unable to actually see - were adequately furnished but lacked in some areas like socket availability. To work on the desk I had to unplug the desk light from the wall socket and push the plug into the TV socket, effectively turning the TV off which mostly featured French programmes anyway. That was the only way to use my own adapter and extension cord to charge batteries, phones (no roaming at all with MTN or Airtel phones but I used them to take pictures) and keep my laptop powered up. That lack of sockets I have often observed in hotels and resorts and it is of concern that room designers and planners pay so little attention to such crucial details.
The room size was adequate though I lacked a little table next to the arm chair, which would have come in handy to put my tea cup and snack plate down which ended up on the bed.
The bathroom space was rather too small for comfort and while well finished again showed the lack of thought by the designers. WHERE would a lady find the space to put up her cosmetics stuff when I had problems to fit my limited selection like shaving cream and a few more bits and pieces? The basin is well sized but has no real space on the sides or behind to put up things and a soap dish was missing, probably for lack of space. With the tap rather low it required some acrobatics not to splash water everywhere when only trying to aim at the face. The separation of loo and bath may have some merit but clearly resulted in less than adequate space remaining in the bathroom, separated through a thin room divider wall, and perhaps a good sized shower cabin would serve a better purpose than a conventional tub, which always poses the risk of slipping when having to climb out with wet feet.
Otherwise I must complement housekeeping for keeping the room very clean, everything working and the fabrics looking fresh. The room safe worked with ease, not like some contraptions found elsewhere, and the wardrobe had enough hangers to to take jacket and trousers out of the suitcase. A kettle allowed me to make tea - I bring my own supply of tea bags from East Africa when I travel - and a limited amount of sweetener, sugar and creamer is available in the room and replenished when the room is made up. In my case, house keeping came late to add more creamer within the space of a few minutes.
During my stay I had two dinners, one being a special function in form of a buffet dinner, offering a wide variety of well presented dishes, both cold and hot, at a beach side restaurant which provided a nice setting with an outdoor feel to it.
The second dinner was in the main dining room, buffet style, with a selection of starters, deserts and some main course options in between. What I missed was a cheese selection, and being a French resort this was somewhat of a miss. The food was well prepared, tasty and while the selection, compared to for instance resorts in Kenya, on Zanzibar or the Seychelles in similarly rated properties was a bit on the frugal side, it was quite sufficient to see other guests ponder what to pick or to come back for second helpings.
For breakfast my regular test run with Egg Benedict - which earned me a curious look from the waiter - ended in opting for the selection of cold cuts and cereals which were readily available and needed no French language skills to get.
If there is a challenge with language it is that English is still not too widely spoken but those staff I encountered and did not understand were swift to find a colleague who would - problem solved.
For my departure morning I arranged with reception for a take away breakfast which was served just moments after I came in at half four in the a.m. to check out, and full marks for that to the kitchen who had prepared two tasty sandwiches and fruits. Tea bags and hot water, plus milk also appeared just moments later.
Sadly there was not enough time to fully explore the hotel and its grounds and facilities, or see the villa rooms or a suite to compare. The LUX appears to be one of Reunion's best resorts, and apart from the issues I mentioned it does surely deserve this attribute. While not 5 star, at least in comparison with similar resorts in say Mauritius, on Zanzibar, Seychelles or even in Mombasa, it is still a very good place to relax, enjoy the beach, the good food and a location from where one can even walk into the nearby town, or is it a village rather?

Room Tip: I guess the rooms in the main buildings, offering 4 / 4 on ground and upper level, are all the same...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you very much for the time taken to share your experience of LUX* Ile de la Réunion.
Your review is very much welcome as it’s an extremely well detailed one.
I have been extremely delighted to read it and very proud to share it with my colleagues, you cannot imagine the positive impact of it.
I do hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in a close future for a stay of 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 nights…
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Arriving at Lux Ile de La Reunion is like stepping into another world. I find that hotels play a huge part in our holidays so we usually try to pick hotels according to their charm and I do tend to opt for luxury, and Lux Ile de La Reunion has plenty of that. The Creole Villas are beautiful, reminiscent of another time. We spent a full day on the grounds of the hotel. It was a plus that the hotel was right on the beach. I enjoyed my time on the beach, although the current is a bit rough for a swim it's still worth it. The grounds of the hotel is whimsical, they had some cats as well which made the hotel pretty homey. They really thought outside the box. I truly enjoyed walking the grounds, which is enveloped with beautiful fauna and fun things like table tennis and giant chess board. I found the location excellent because it felt private and secluded although the town centre is within walking distance. We were worried about the language barrier but the staff were just so accommodating and helpful that we felt at ease. Breakfast was included in our rate, it was buffet style, it was rather average but they did have a good selection. I loved their brioche. The three restaurants in the hotel were sufficient, we enjoyed dining at the bar. One of our favourite dishes were the Creole pizza, the ambience especially at night at the resort was excellent. The room was beautifully appointed and opened into the garden. My only criticism is that the bed is a bit firm for my liking. We used the hotel's concierge service in booking a day trip on the island. Our day trip to Piton de la Fournaise was nothing short of spectacular and was truly a highlight of our trip. Philippe our tour guide was engaging and really made the most of our day. It was an unexpected bonus to explore the island in a Porsche. The only real disappointment here is that we didn't have enough time in this remarkable island.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Cyrild572, Responsable réception at LUX* Saint Gilles, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Guest,
What a wonderfull review !!
Thank you very much for it, you can be sure it will help us a lot.
We are now expecting to welcome you back in a close future.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Just back from Reunion, i have been before, and every time there is more to see, to discover and enjoy! This time we stayed at the LUX* Ile de la Reunion and really enjoyed the hotel. Great location, between the city (close but far enough not to get the noise) and the sea, with the beach right outside the bar area. We had a good room, such quiet! And I like the way the rooms are spread out in small bungalows it does not give the feeling of a big hotel but rather a feeling of space. Friendly staff, always happy to help, and they could all speak either good English or sufficiently to assist. the three different restaurants give a nice selection to choose from. Nice location for families as well as honeymooners!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you very much for the time taken to write your review after your stay at LUX* Ile de la Réunion. You cannot imagine how it's important for us.
I have been delighted to read you & to share your feedback with my colleagues.
I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in a close future.
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Definitely the number 1 hotel in Reunion .......we first went there a few years ago when it was 'Les villas du Lagon' and we have noticed the subtle changes brought in by the LUX Resorts group. The Mauritian experience/approach to hospitality is evident nowadays and as a client paying 'top-dollar prices' for 5-star treatment, you certainly want to feel special during your stay.

We stayed in the PALM Hotel last year but were disappointed with a number of things there - the remote location (good for honeymoon though), restaurants and generally it did not feel like a 4.5-star hotel.

Being used to Hotels in Mauritius, my primary question for ANY hotel in Reunion is :
Why do hotels in Reunion not offer any sort of water sport activities / limited other ones too ?
Apart from the cost, surely this will be something which can attract holidaymakers ......

Just a thought if RUN hotels want to compete with MRU ones ......!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Hob56nob
Cyrild572, Responsable réception at LUX* Saint Gilles, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Guest,
There are not many things to say except thank you very much for the time taken to share on tripadvisor.com your experience of LUX* Ile de la Réunion.
I have been delighted to read your review & to share it with my colleagues.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in a close future and you can be sure we will do our best to be above your expectations.
Haslemere, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I wrote an email before we left from london determined to make my husband's birthday a special day in the hotel but no reply. Got through over the phone and through a bad line, tried to explain in English was hard enough. Told them twice again at the reception but i give up at this point. I have travelled extensively and one has to mention once, of any special occassions and they will provide a complimentary something to make it special. When we arrived, we were not briefed of anything only when we asked a questions that was. We had two rooms during the 3 days we stayed. We found cockroach in our room, no hot water and the bulb in the toilet went. I was late for my husbands birthday dinner and looked worst for wear. When we asked a passing staff to call roomservice to request for liquid cream milk, she cldn't manage that, what chances have we for not speaking french. Lux hotel seriously need to change the powder milk in their rooms as they curdled even in hot water and they taste ghastly..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Cyrild572, Responsable réception at LUX* Saint Gilles, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Guest,
It seems we haven't been able to meet your expectations, we do regret it & feel sorry.
Very seriously, we shared your feedback with the management in order to improve our service.
Once again, please accept our sincere apologies.
We do hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in a close future.
Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Gilles-Les-Bains
Hotel Le Recif
#4 of 5 in La Saline les Bains
Iloha Seaview Hotel
Iloha Seaview Hotel
#2 of 3 in Saint-Leu

Been to LUX* Saint Gilles? Share your experiences!