“Fabulous restaurant”

Ranked #1 of 5 Aurora B&B and Inns
Nashville, Tennessee
“Fabulous restaurant”
Reviewed September 5, 2006

This was my third dining experience at the Aurora Inn and every time, the food seems to get better. The scallops are to die for......however they prepare them. The produce is so fresh. Soups are imaginative and delicious. Whether your dining inside or out, the view of the lake is glorious surrounded by the adirondack chairs. Luckily, all the times I've been here the weather has been beautiful. This last time there was a gorgeous sunset which made our dinner even more special. I'm even thinking of hosting a dinner gathering for family for my daughter's upcoming high school graduation----it's that special of a place.

Stayed August 2006
4 Thank Proseco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Reviewed July 23, 2006

We visited the Aurora Inn for brunch. The food was fabulous! My husband said that his eggs Benedict were the best he had ever had. My omelet was also very good. Both meals were less than $10 each and came with homefries, toast, and slices of 4 different fruits! We were very surprised at the reasonable price. We both had orange juice (served in a large 8 oz glass- not a tiny juice glass) and coffee. The coffee was served in charming Mackeznie-Childs mugs that feature the Aurora Inn. The server was very attentive, and when I mentioned that I had spilled coffee on myself, she promptly brought over club soda and a cloth for the stain without having to ask for it.

The manager let us take a peek at one of the rooms (Room #5 which is on the village-side) and we were very very impressed. The room was very spacious, clean, and very well-appointed. We were told that all of the rooms have flat-screen TVs. The marble bathroom was gorgeous. This room also had access to the balcony overlooking Main Street, which was very peaceful (although of course a Lake view room would have been nicer!).

After brunch at the Inn, we walked across the street to Jane Morgan House, which is a womens/mens clothing store. Found several cute pairs of earrings. Also visited Mackenzie-Childs Odds N Ends store, which is right across the street from the Inn. We later drove to Treleavan winery and "Home Again" which is the store featuring true and authentic pottery from Victoria and Richard Mackenzie-Childs (they are no longer associated with Mackenzie-Childs Comp, which was bought from them).

Overall the Inn was one of the main highlights. We plan to go back for a weekend get-away. I can't wait to stay in one of the rooms at the Aurora Inn and curl up all day with a book and eat their great food!

• Liked — High quality everything!
  • Disliked — I wish I could have stayed longer!
  • Tips/Secrets — Request a lake view room!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank syrurs1
Boston MA
Reviewed July 20, 2006

We stayed one night at the Aurora Inn. Beautiful restoration of an old in a quaint little town. Our room overlooked the village and we had a large but not private deck. Coffee delivery in the morning was a nice touch. We had dinner and breakfast at the Inn. The food was not wonderful and a little below what I had expected but not bad. Overall the experience was fine but there were so many little things that could have been done to make it wonderful that we wondered where the management was.
I felt that the woman doing the check-in was more interested in showing me the details of the restoration than making sure that we were comfortable. At dinner, although there were other tables available, we were seated at a small dark table next to a group of rather noisy golfers. It could have been worse, the next table over was in a doorway and the wait staff kept making a short cut through it, frequently passing within inches of the diners. It rained overnight. When we came down for breakfast it was a beautiful day but the outside tables were not available for breakfast because the staff, who were not otherwise occupied, didn’t take the ten minutes it would have taken to wipe down the tables. We were seated in front of French doors that were l covered with mist so that we couldn’t see to the beautiful lake below. Again, a little wipe down would have made all the difference. These are all small things but if this inn is trying for a very upscale image, I think that a little more attention to these details and better food is called for.

Stayed July 2006
9 Thank Burke108
NewYork
Reviewed June 30, 2006

I have just returned from a quick trip to Aurora,NY, but I am sure I will be returning.I was dropping off my daughter at Wells College,and didn't want to drive all the way back home on the same day.I was at first disappointed to learn that the 10 room Aurora Inn was fully booked for the night.The helpful reservationist referred me to the E.B. Morgan House, a mansion managed by the inn and just a few doors down.I was very pleasantly surprised by the beautiful accommodations,and warm welcome extended by the innkeeper,Sue. She gave me a tour of the common areas,which included a library,parlor,dining room,and guest kitchen,as well as lovely front and rear porches.The furnishings were elegant and comfortable,with premium linens,a flat screen TV,cordless phone (with no charge for calls,even long distance), and terry robes. Guests may help themselves to coffee,tea,bottled water,wine, or an assortment of snacks.There are a few places to shop in the village,and Mackenzie-Childs is just about a mile away.I opted for a burger at the Fargo Grill,just across the street from the Aurora Inn, which, served with a glass of local wine, made a delicious casual dinner. When I returned,my bed was turned down,some classical music was playing on the bose radio, and there was a little silver tray with chocolate and an inspirational quote.I ended the day by watching the sunset from the back porch directly overlooking Cayuga Lake.In the morning,Sue had coffee ready,and an assortment of muffins,but I walked down to the inn for a full complimentary breakfast. I had to get back home,but there are many things to do in the area,such as tour the wineries or historic sites,or do some browsing in the shops.I would recommend this as a destination for a romantic weekend,or girls-only getaway. It would also make a lovely setting for a small wedding or private party.

• Stayed June 2006
8 Thank beatfeet
Atlanta
Reviewed March 30, 2006

We stayed at the Inn for three nights in October of 2005 and were very impressed with the quality and attention to detail in the rooms, public rooms and restaurant. It's not every place one stays that has Bose wave radios in every room. Though the Inn is small at 10 rooms, the rooms are very spacious and impeccably appointed.

The staff was friendly and helpful, and the meals we had in the restaurant were excellent, with the chef popping out to check on our dinner. While there are not many activities in Aurora, it was convenient to visit some of the local vinyards, (though most are on the opposite side of the lake). It was an easy drive down the lake to Ithaca for the day, and we did get in some shopping at the famous MacKenzie-Child's headquarters just outside town, where visitors may tour their studios.

• Stayed October 2005
2 Thank jmyers6670
Fayetteville, New York
Reviewed February 13, 2006

We just had a wonderful weekend at the Aurora Inn with seven couples on Feb. 11 to celebrate Valentine's Day. We booked the entire Morgan House, a refurbished estate house which is part of Aurora Inn and sits on the edge of Cayuga Lake adjacent to the inn. Each couple had a beautifully decorated bedroom and marble bathroom, and we all shared the use of the parlor, library, dining room and kitchen. We were impressed by the exquisite furnishings, original artwork, marble fireplaces, ornate woodwork, high ceilings, etched glass windows, etc. and the overall magnificance of the Morgan House. There was an antique piano in the parlor that a member of our group played to add to the ambience. We spent Saturday touring the nearby Finger Lakes wineries and returned to the inn during late afternoon to share bottles of wine and hors d'oeuvres. It was so convenient to have access to the guest kitchen and we loved that all of the dishes were MacKenzie-Childs. A member of the staff was on duty the entire time to take care of everything we needed. We ate dinner in the main dining room of the Aurora Inn and then returned to the Morgan House where we played games in the parlor to finish the evening. Sunday morning we enjoyed a complimentary continental breakfast at the stately dining room table overlooking the lake. We couldn't bear to leave, so we booked another weekend and left knowing that we'd be back. Although we traveled only one hour to the Aurora Inn from Syracuse, it seemed like we had been very, very far from home.

• Stayed February 2006
5 Thank Pamela2222
New York
Reviewed February 5, 2006

We spent one night at the Aurora Inn to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Overall, the place was beautiful and comfortable, but the service was chilly -- the staff were polite, but not the least bit welcoming.

Before we arrived, we called to ask about things to do in Ithaca (south of Aurora). The person at the front desk made no effort to help us -- he said he really didn't know much about Ithaca, and I felt that I was imposing on him by even asking. Once we arrived, we were thrilled with our room, which was beautifully furnished, and had a view of the lake (Cayuga). Dinner that night at the Inn's restaurant was very good -- my husband's entree was excellent, but mine was a bit ordinary for the price.

When we left, the staff at the front desk were chatting with each other, and no one said good-bye as we checked out. A minor detail, but overall I felt that the staff was lacking in warmth, and were a bit perfunctory in all their interactions with us.

• Stayed November 2005
13 Thank painai
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aurora
The Gould Hotel
Geneva on the Lake
Geneva on the Lake
#7 of 11 in Geneva
Cayuga Morning Star Bed and Breakfast

Been to Aurora Inn? Share your experiences!