“Some view of the world!” 5 of 5 bubbles

MacKenzie-Childs
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Aurora
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: MacKenzie-Childs was born of our love of home and our commitment to fresh, innovative design. Founded in 1983, our humble beginnings started in the basement of Wallcourt Hall, a building built in 1909 as a dormitory for an all-girls prep school. Several years later, we moved to our present-day headquarters just up the road. On a tranquil Victorian farm overlooking Cayuga Lake, we produce world-renowned home furnishings. Our designers and artisans have created beautiful products that add joy and grace to homes throughout the world. Colorful, handmade ceramics, enamelware, glassware, furniture, and home accessories define our collection.
Auburn, New York
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Some view of the world!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Get inspired if you are ready to re-decorate. Spend some bucks on a few inspired elements. See what is really out there at MacKenzie-Childs.

Visited July 2013

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Customer Service Stinks”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Overpriced and very RUDE RUDE Sales Help. Don't waste your time and money. Catalog is very misleading.

3 Thank Leah D
Grimsby, On, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A must see!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

If you are in the area, you must stop here! Not like any other store I have visited before. Very expensive but worth the look. Very unique and the grounds are beautiful!

1 Thank Kelly- R
Toronto, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Service is not great and the prices have gone up”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Although I have collected Mackenzie-Childs pieces for years now, I was very disappointed with our last trip to the house. The prices have definitely increased and the staff working there were not helpful at all. All of my experiences in the past with Mackenzie-Childs have been so positive, so I was surprised to find that my visit this time was so different. It is still a beautiful place to go if you are in the area (or driving by), but I wouldn't suggest going out of your way to make the trip.

Greenwich, Connecticut
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“MacKenzie-Childs on the banks of Cayuga Lake”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

On our regular visits to Toronto (my Denver daughter always drives back with me to Connecticut for a few days) we invariably stop in Aurora because she and her best friend out in the Yuppie suburb where they live absolutely love Mackenzie Childs' wares. I am not a particular fan of shopping and I'm too old and crabby to enjoy it most of the time, but I have come to welcome these breaks in what is a fairly long drive. The reasons:
1. With the possible exceptions of the House of Bruar in the Scottish Highlands and perhaps one or two of the glassblowers' shops on Murano in the Lagoon of Venice, MacKenzie Childs is the most beautiful retail establishment I have ever seen. The retail shop is itself handsome, but on the property there is an elegant old farmhouse, ducks, sheep, and a lovely view out over the lake from their hilltop property.
2. Aurora is a lovely, tiny village - - the sort of place many other lakeside towns pretend to be, with zero touristy crud (no T-shirt or tattoo shops, no fast food emporia, just nice).
3. The staff at Mackenzie Childs is exceptionally courteous and friendly.

If you're in the Finger Lakes, it's worth the detour.

Visited July 2013