“Amazing!”
Review of E.B. Morgan House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aurora
E.B. Morgan House
Ranked #2 of 5 Aurora B&B and Inns
Lindenhurst
“Amazing!”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful weekend at the E. B. Morgan House. I cannot say enough about our time there. The room we had was beautiful! Warm, inviting and comfortable. Our innkeeper, Dale, went above and beyond to make our stay perfect. The coffee and muffins in the early morning were a wonderful touch. Not to mention the wine and cheese in the late afternoon! The views of the lake were beautiful. I would highly recommend a visit to the E. B. Morgan House.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Reviewed April 27, 2012 via mobile

I absolutely adore this Inn. The eclectic, decor is comfortably opulent. We especially appreciated the striking pieces of modern at every flit of the eye. The warm, attentive, charming Inkeepers, Dale (evening) and Cat (overnight and morning), were the icing on this very special confection. Separately, they each indulged our curiosity for quite some time with colorful stories and anecdotes about the Inn, it's sister businesses in town, and the town's history, as well as just engaging in easy conversation with us. When we crooned about the artwork, Dale brought us a list of each painting, it's location in the building, and pointed out some of the more notable pieces. Charming! Dale's personal respect and love for the property was apparent, as if he himself were the owner. Instead if keeping to our room like the other guests, we found ourselves playing scrabble at the table in the absolutely gorgeous dining room, by the fire. Sweet, accomodating Cat came to check on us, and we ended up keeping her up late with fun chit-chat. Our morning conversation with Cat was just as engaging.

We spent a night at the nearby Aurora Inn, EB Morgan House's sister property, earlier in the week. Our night there was also exceptional, but there is something extra special about the EB Morgan House. What impressed us about both properties is that the staff is great at making you feel welcome without overdoing it. We find it uncomfortable when the staff in upscale establishments fall all over us. It feels artificial. If you like to treat people like servants, you might not find the staff at the Aurora Inn to your liking - a few front desk associates come off as a bit chilly at first, but with a little friendly treatment, they are the warmest group of people you would ever hope to meet. When we encountered a group of them having dinner at Fargo across the street, they greeted us like we were locals and friends. Charming! I can't wait to visit sometime in the Summer.

• Stayed April 2012
Syracuse
Reviewed April 26, 2012

The 5-star reviews are all accurate: cleanliness, beautiful buildings and grounds, idyllic setting. The innkeeper, Dale, and the housekeeping staff were terrific. If my husband and I had been given the room actually booked, there is no doubt this review would have been yet another glowing one. I am posting this review under both the Aurora Inn and E.B. Morgan House, because I reserved a room at the former and ended up in the latter. Their employee couldn’t keep them straight, and we paid the price for his mistake. Before the details, here is the bottom line: If you decide to stay at one of these properties, and if you have an interest in a particular room, read your entire confirmation letter carefully; and be aware that should the actions of the inn’s employees result in an unwelcome change of travel plans for you, management is there for themselves, not you. In Feb. 2011, I bought a seemingly great deal through LivingSocial, but here’s the real deal. Before the purchase, I visited the website to see the accommodations. There was a luxurious king suite. Once I made the purchase, I spoke with Aurora Inn’s employee, Steven, and told him that was the room I wanted. He told me it was a very popular room and everyone wanted it. Because of that, he said we would have to book into the following year. That was okay with me; it looked well worth the 13-month wait, and we agreed upon the dates of March 29 & 30 of 2012. I printed the confirmation sent to me from the address “reservations@Aurora-Inn.com” and the subject line, bold print, “Aurora Inn Confirmation.” Flash forward 13 months, and the anticipated time arrives. When I called the innkeeper with our arrival time, she made an offhanded reference to “over there.” When I asked what she meant, she referenced E.B. Morgan House. I told her, no, we are staying at the Aurora Inn, room 7. She told me we were booked in room 7 at E.B. Morgan. She then went on to tell me that someone was already in room 7 at the Aurora Inn. She didn’t know what to do for us and so would have the general manager call us. Instead, we received the following email: “I’ve looked up the confirmation Steven sent you and it was for the E.B. Morgan room 7, not the Aurora Inn king suite room 7. The Aurora Inn room 7 was actually booked a week prior to you booking this reservation with Steven so it wouldn’t have been possible to have put you in the king suite. I am so sorry that you thought you were coming into that room but I promise we’ll do all we can to make you enjoy your stay with us,” etc . . . So right away, the inn’s offensive position put us in a defensive position. I can’t begin to speculate what/how/why their ex-employee Steven did what he did, but he and I never even discussed the possibility of the E.B. Morgan House, period. If you check out the websites of these properties and compare the two different number 7’s, you can see there is no comparison. Since I was dealing with a fairly small property and I had called with a room already selected, I did not read the fine print in the middle of the above-referenced confirmation letter where I discovered it did indeed say E.B. Morgan Room 07. My mistake for not reading beyond the Aurora Inn Confirmation subject line, but I had sought out and discussed only one particular room, and it never occurred to me that things could go so wrong. In light of the efforts my husband and I had both made to make this trip happen, we decided to go anyway. We hoped that the general manager would address the situation. That was not the case. She did eventually call that evening and left a voice message while we were at dinner. The whole fiasco was so disappointing and frustrating that we decided to concentrate on our time together and to deal with the unpleasant circumstance with the accommodations once we were back home. When my husband did speak with the GM, her position was adversarial. She kept asking what we wanted, as though we were in negotiations. She suggested that had we called her back, she would have bought us dinner. She certainly could have made arrangements for that before our check-in. For a service industry operation, there was a lack of knowledge of how to handle a mistake like this. They put the responsibility on us. Luckily, in our years of travel and stays at many inns, b&b’s, and hotels, nothing like this has ever happened; in other words, we have never been switched, downgraded, and/or treated this way. The question is, why would we wait 13 months for a room that was likely available close to the time of the original purchase and during fairer times of the year? Why would we go to the expense (pet sitter, time off from work, etc) and effort of visiting a tiny town on a lake in March if there wasn’t something very special about the destination? Why would I book a room I didn’t want in the first place; what would I possibly gain by that? The inn’s GM would only deflect these inquiries by saying the inn was completely booked for that March weekend (silly us to think that winter is just as grand lakeside as spring or summer!) and that the E.B. Morgan room was very nice (we should be grateful for the substitution?). She even said they’d made an exception in booking the room for us on a Friday night since the LivingSocial deal was supposed to be for weeknights. I believe we must have let them down with our lack of gratitude for these favors. What really would have been appropriate is acknowledgement of the mistake and acceptance of responsibility on the part of their former employee, expressing regret for the inconvenience and disappointing turn of events, and then setting it straight. It should be no mystery to anyone in the service industry as to how to do that. It’s likely anyone reading this would understand the care and energy that goes into planning a trip. There is an expectation that the professionals involved in these plans hold up their end of the bargain, and hopefully they value your business. This inn is only an hour from my house. It could have become a special destination for my husband and me, a place where we could come for a quick getaway, a place to celebrate a birthday or an anniversary, a place that we could confidently recommend to friends, family, and colleagues. Our experience has insured that none of this will happen.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Michelle W
Ellicott City
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We just returned from a two night stay which definitely was not long enough. From the minute we arriver, Dale the Inn Keeper, made us feel at home and anticipated our every need. The Inn and property are both beautiful! The room was decorated with whimsy and comfort and the fireplace added to the coziness. The restaurant at the Aurora Inn, a short walk from the E.B. Morgan House, was also fantastic. We are already planning our return.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We simply cannot say enough about this wonderful place!! You will compare everywhere you go to this! The host, Lynda, was absolutely the most gracious of anywhere we have ever gone. Sometimes we've had the impression at other inns or B&B's of hosts who have tried to be pleasant, but she is the real deal. No detail is overlooked here. You are treated like royalty from the moment you step in the door, and it doesn't stop the entire stay! We will absolutely return to this spectacular property!

Room Tip: We stayed in room #7, and I would highly recommend it. A semi private entrance, a beautiful view of...
clarence, NY
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I first heard about the E.B. Morgan House on "the Today Show" last year and just after in Travel and Leisure magazine. My family and I just returned from a weekend stay in this fabulous B & B on Lake Cayuga in the Finger Lakes. From the moment we pulled into this
mansion, we knew that we were going to have a relaxing stay to remember.

Our InnKeeper Dale greeted us with a well-informed tour of the property. He was always there to make sure we had what we needed and were well taken care of. He was spectacular.

I have always been hesitant of Bed and breakfasts, as I like to stay in up to date rooms with all of the emmenities. This property has it! The rooms have all been uniquely refurbished and decorated individually. The bathrooms are fabulous with all of the modern conveniences. The beds are great too.

Every morning, the innkeeper has fresh coffee and muffins in the common area just off the kitchen. It's a nice treat before the delicious breakfast that is included, just down the street at it's sister property the Aurora Inn. Both places have a rich history that is fun to discover. The history is detailed in your room's information.

It is a small town, but with the Inn and another more casual restaurant across the street - it was enough for a weekend stay. There are lots of places to explore nearby, but we opted to take it easy....enjoy the porch overlooking the lake and just relax.

We will certainly be back!

Room Tip: Book as early as you can. We did not have a lake view, because we booked three weeks out. I would...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We just got back from a perfect weekend (aside from the weather!) at the E.B. Morgan House. The rooms are beautiful and clean. The atmosphere was quiet, cozy, friendly and relaxing. The food at the nearby Aurora Inn was delicious. This would be a wonderful place to visit in the summer, but even in cold rain, we had fun. Dale went above and beyond as the inn keeper. He was extremely knowledgeable about the house and its history, extremely thoughtful and accomodating. He gave us a free local tour that was entertaining and informative. Thanks to the E.B. Morgan House and to Dale for a great stay!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aurora
The Gould Hotel
Geneva on the Lake
#6 of 11 in Geneva
Cayuga Morning Star Bed and Breakfast
10 Fitch Luxurious Romantic Inn

Been to E.B. Morgan House? Share your experiences!