“Painful Experience”

Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Iloilo City
singapore
“Painful Experience”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The hotel looks nice on the outside but the rooms are very rundown.
The bathroom is old and water supply is low; beddings are bed and unclean.
I was badly bitten by some unidentified insects under the blanket. I thought nothing of it but it got worse after a few days. One week later, both my legs are still covered with big red swells and are still itchy.
Breakfast food is below average.
However, the one redeeming factor is that the service staff are friendly.
Fire escape doors were chained up.
This hotel badly needs a renovation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 23, 2013

you certainly get a grand entrance and a beautiful lobby..very good on the presentation however our room while basically good and adequate for our requirements , i just found lacking in one basic department--our bed sucked. we had reservations. the room was for my wife and i--but we were given two twin beds. i then asked for a queen or a double or something--well, their solution was to put the two twin beds together and back it by the side wall. well, this may work fine at home but i did not expect this at a hotel as grand as this place.because of this, i felt compelled to knock it down at least a full star..

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank miglovin
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights for a work trip. The hotel was basic and on the older side, but clean and everything worked. All the basic hotel amenities in the room were there -- towels, soaps, clean bedding, etc. We slept well and overall enjoyed our stay! It was much better than the other hotel we stayed at in Iloilo, and the Sarabia was also a fair price.

We always enjoyed the breakfast buffet, the pool was fantastic, and the Products Centre featuring handmade items from women around Panay Island was very cool. It was also nice to have a few restaurant choices so close by.

Staff were very friendly and helpful! The free wi fi downstairs and in the pool area was great for working. The booking had been made on our behalf which was no problem, and we arrived at 7 am and were able to check in straight away with no difficulties or long delays.

If you are expecting a four star Westernised hotel in Iloilo, think again. The Sarabia may have seen better days but it was clean, safe, and comfortable and I think previous reviewers may need to rethink their expectations as there were definitely no major issues with the hotel.

Overall, great experience! We even went back to the Sarabia to use the pool when we weren't staying there and it felt like coming "home."

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Joni F
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed January 17, 2013

There I was in IloIlo City and the 1st thing i did even before checking-inn to the Hotel is eat Batchoy at one of the best store. Ok after i enjoyed my Batchoy and a slice of Cake from the same shop. I headed to the Hotel owned by the affluent family of Sarabia. I didnt care about the Pool because I know i am going to Guimaras next few days. My Room is OK. the AC is working well and really cold ( i need AC to sleep - I am a Polar Bear as my Mother said ) The Room is clean though you know that its old. the ceiling, walls have markings of age. The smell of the Room is also something to be improved but that would mean removing all the carpet and buying a new one. The Breakfast is OK. simple but enough. I mean I know i am in iloilo. you dont see 5 Star Hotels here so Benchmark must be adjusted. This Hotel is fine compared to the others. afterall most of the Time you will be outside eating. The SPA downstairs is Good btw, and the Toilet in your room is clean so its fair enough.

Room Tip: Try to see the room first and then request another one if you think its not Good. Its an Old Hotel s...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank BrawnJoeBlack
qc
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I DEFINITELY AGREE with the previous reviews of these hotel. Terrible room, terrible staff, terrible hallway, etc.!!!

In addition to those mentioned previously, let me share to you, dear reviewers, about my experience during my "checking -in" on these hotel.

Here it goes...

My friend booked me in this hotel a few weeks earlier for a team gathering. Booking was done 3 weeks ahead of time.

The event came and I arrived at Iloilo City around 2pm but I decided to eat lunch first before checking-in.... Then, I went straight to Sarabia hotel to check-in. I gave my FULLY PAID reservation slip to the lady on the front desk. She asked me to wait for a few moment while they check the room. So I waited....

After "30 minutes", I went back to the front desk to ask if the room was already okay... But surprisingly, the lady said "Sir, we are very sorry but there are no more rooms available..."
So, I told them, "I reserved this room like 3 weeks ahead of time and you'll tell me that there are no more rooms available? How come? Please, you have to do something..." She replied, "Okay sir, we'll try to do something. We will call you a little later...."

After 20 minutes, I went back again at the front desk asking, "How's the room? Is it okay now?"

The lady replied, "Sir, there is one available room, but can you go back around 6pm? Because that room might be vacated by that time."

I said, "6pm? "MIGHT" be vacated?.... Do you mean to say that there is no assurance that the room will be DEFINITELY VACATED by that time? She answered, "Sir, we still have to call the person occupying the room because he is out somewhere" ..... (What!!!! Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!)

(WHAT KIND OF HOTEL IS THIS!!!! THEY SHOULD CLOSE THEIR BUSINESS!!!)

Based on my experience, if the room that you reserved is not really available, the hotel management should "upgrade" your room.... They NEVER did that not until I suggested that they upgrade me to a better room. They were hesitant at first. But since I was already VERY ANGRY, I really insisted that they upgrade it if they can no longer think of other solution!

FAST FORWARD....

Finally, I had my room around 7:30PM! Just imagine imagine how many hours wasted since 2:00 pm!... They upgraded me to a family room with 1 queen bed and 2 single beds! (But who needs 3 beds anyway, if I'm just alone!) The room as the previous reviewers told, was really terrible!

Checking-out was also terrible! It will take you 30 minutes! After ocular inspection of the room, the lady on the front desk called me, and told me that I have to buy for the breakfast! (What!) I told them that the reservation was inclusive of buffet breakfast! (that was clearly printed on my reservation slip). Hence, I did not pay it! ... Really terrible!

DEAR REVIEWERS, IF YOU WANT HAVE HAVE A TERRIBLE STAY AT ILOILO, TRY THIS HOTEL!

"It's more fun in Sarabia Manor!"

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
9 Thank hotelcritic88

Travelers are raving about these Iloilo City hotels

Asia
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The hotel was old, cheaply made, musty and run down. To think we were set up in the "new wing". The only good thing was the bed was clean and I didn't see any bugs crawling around (although I was sure they were there). I couldn't wait to get out of that place!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank WnaTrvelMor
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I chose this hotel despite the mixed reviews as it's the venue of a large family reunion and I just wanted to be close by. Likewise, the online photos looked nice and so were the rates. So I felt lucky that I was able to get a room despite the hotel being booked because of the reunion. I was obviously deceived! Little did I know that my stay would turn out to be a big disappointment. The room I was given was basic and clean but run down and made from flimsy materials. The hotel complex itself looked like it was stuck in the 70's. About the only thing nice I can think of were the housekeeping staff who were always polite and friendly.

I wish I can say the same thing about the Front Desk personnel and the service crew at Cafe Salvatore and banquet service. Front Desk people were cold and unprofessional. I tried requesting for a late check-out and was told that I can stay until 1pm without charge. Which is actually pretty standard in almost all hotels I've stayed in, plus I used to work for a large 5* hotel in Manila. Since I had a late flight, I requested if I can stay until 2pm. The lady then spoke to her supervisor and when she came out, informed me that I can only stay until 12nn because they are expecting early arrivals. Wth! More than half of the hotel was checking out at that time since most were reunion participants. Service at the cafe was very cold and impersonal...that's if you can catch their attention. Another worse experience was the banquet. We had two buffet meals during the reunion proper. The buffet lunch spread was truly horrible but at least dinner was edible enough. Service was another issue as they were obviously undermanned. Just requesting for water took ages and no one even bothered clearing the tables unless you ask for it. I just can't find any reason for messing up this function when there are prominent business and political people present.

There are newer hotels in the city that even at triple the price would still give you better value. Stay away from this so called hotel! I never felt welcome at all!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family