“Former Majestic Hotel”

Sarabia Manor Hotel
Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in Iloilo City
Reviewed March 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Sarabia Manor Hotel for one night on business. The check in was fine, we upgraded to a deluxe room, and the bell staff are very helpful A few tips will go a long way in getting immediate assistance. Airport pickup costs us 700 pesos, I think, which is about $16. I think a taxi is about 500 pesos or about $12.

Actually, the hotel was a big disappointment. The interior halls of the hotel are dimly lite, the carpet loose and badly stained in numbers of places. The interior of our room was similar with loose (baggy) old carpet with stains. The only amenities in the room were a small fridge and small cable TV. No hot water heater for coffee, no wall safe, no iron etc. The beds are old and the pillows are some kind of foam., although the sheets looked clean. The furniture in the room is old as well, but the room was a large size and we had a nice view overlooking the pool area. Housekeeping was very prompt when called which was nice.

The bathroom is in need of repair, we could not turn off the hot water faucet and it kept running a little constantly, and the fixture was also loose. The towels are old and turning kind of a pale gray color from the white. But, a towel is a towel. Washcloth was provided which is unusual. No accessories, shampoo, etc in the bathroom.

WIFI is available in the room for about $4 a day, you have to get a card at the desk, WIFI is available in the lobby and restaurant area for free.

The hotel has a large campus with many restaurants and meeting rooms and a very large nice pool area.

We had a breakfast buffet included with the room which was very average but adequate, although the service in the restaurant is not good. Service needs a lot of improvement. But those of us who are in the Philippines a lot are aware that customer service is not a priority in the country and it usually needs improving most places.

I would stay at the hotel again but my expectations would be much lower on the next trip. The hotel is in need of a complete rehab to be acceptable to me. If you are looking for a comfortable, well maintained, clean hotel, this is not it. But, if you just want a place to stay overnight, it's ok.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Sarabia Manor Hotel

Reviewed February 18, 2012

I stayed at the Sarabia in January 2012 (a party of 3 adults and 2 children).

Initial impression were great: a lovely looking exterior. This quickly faded when entering the lobby - the place is maybe 10 - 15 years old and definitely in need of a facelift. The price we had agreed over the phone when making the booking was honoured, however they decided to add taxes to it - I had specifically asked whether the price was net or 'plus plus' and they had confirmed net - a bad start.

The rooms were on the 6th floor and the corridor was decidedly grotty: stained, worn carpet badly in need of replacement, musty smoky smell and overly dim lighting.

The rooms were also disappointing: old furniture, old bathroom. There were several signs along the lines of 'if you steal our towels we will charge you', 'if you stain our towels we will charge you', 'if you burn anything we will charge you' - one of those places.

In the evening we dined at the Al Dente Italian restaurant in the hotel. Nice ambience, but very expensive by Filipino standards. The food was probably the worst Italian food I've ever tasted - I had always thought it difficult to ruin pasta, pizza etc but they managed this admirably. The wine was pretty good. The next morning I had a bout of terrible food poisoning, which could only have come from Al Dente. A very uncomfortable flight back to Manila and a lasting impression of the Sarabia.

Room Tip: Select a different hotel :)
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Hotel lobby looks nice but when when went to our room, it's like going to your OLD HOSPITAL room. . . we were 5 and stayed in two rooms. I paid for extra bed in one room at 5PM, they set the extra bed at 11:30PM (with an nth time of follow-ups). I booked through agoda and paid for breakfast, but the receptionist told me that traveller's room does not include breakfast. Good thing I had an extra print hotel voucher that it is clearly written that my accomodation includes breakfast (because I paid for it), that the receptionists and their superior decided and followed what is clearly written in my hotel voucher. That was, after 20 minutes of checking and indecision. It means, we had to wait for 20 minutes before we had our breakfast. Hotel staff are abundant but services are not efficient. We asked for table to clean and set. I ended up cleaning and setting up the table myself to make it faster. We asked for coffee cups, after 10 minutes we had it. We asked for glasses in their counter, they gave it right away but with cockroach taste. Outside the hotel building, they set up an outdoor dining and drinking area with live band. In the morning, the garbage and trash from that outdoor dining and drinking were still left scattered and very untidy just outside of the hotel building (still with the hotel perimeter) for all the hotel guests to see. Poor management.

About the Room (Traveller's Room)

The room is standard size, but the single bed is really single (not fit for "XL"). Equipped with AC, TV (CRT 21 inch), telephone, small table and chair, closets, old curtains (no window view), and toilet (hot and cold water). Toilet bowl takes a looooongg time to fill its flush tank. Again, they are very old and not well-maintained. Services are very poor.

Hotel management and staff needs more education and training. Hotel rooms must be renovated (completely).

Room Tip: Choose other small but newer hotels. It is much cheaper and better.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank YaKsE
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Big numerous conference halls but a bit old... CR is no good very unsanitary grimes but food is good as choices are available from italian to japanese to local... Though the room is quite big but the interiors are too old

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank entengoreng
Reviewed January 3, 2012

The location of the hotel is on the less-busy part of Gen Luna St., the main road of the city ...I had a double room accommodation in the Manor wing of the hotel with a Spanish ambiance, reflecting the predominantly Spanish influence of the city of Iloilo...My air-conditioned room was quite big, more than basic with two wide beds, a large dressing table, coffee table, cabinets, cable television, and hot bath...The hotel is walking distances to famous food shops, a convenience store and a row of classy restaurants..and its a short distance from the SM Iloilo and the busy city center..........It has a small souvenir shop which to my surprise was selling very cheap souvenir T-shirts (cheaper than the souvenir T-shirts at the Malls) ...Another souvenir shop and some more specialty restaurants are found within the hotel compound....The staff was accommodating and the room service boy named Willie was very helpful with some information and my luggage that got heavier by the day.......My only complaint was that my room service phone was not working and was able to discover it only the next morning when I was about to order breakfast....I called up front desk to attend to the problem but did not really know whether it was repaired because I was out most of the time in the succeeding days touring the city and nearby towns....Anyway I did not really care much about the problem..which was quite trivial compared to the comfort, class and coziness of my accommodation...and all for a relatively lower rate......I would surely stay in the same hotel the next time I visit Iloilo

Room Tip: The Economy Room of the manor wing was more than basic
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank csaramir
Reviewed December 28, 2011

needless to say this is the most expensive hotel in metro iloilo... opened the bathroom door with rusty grimy tiles two small cakes of soap. dirty linens and a trampoline feel bed... budget rooms were really budget.... makes you feel like a second class citizen of the hotel... though the location is very strategic.... front desk seemed less hospitable since we mentioned that we were getting a budget room. cant blame them of course comparing it to the business that other folks were givng...just frustrating thought that if you book the travelers room, its like theyre telling you this is what you get for being a cheapskate... oh did i mention the roach that welcomed us with open arms in the restroom?

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank luckyethics
Reviewed December 20, 2011

I was told this "Resort" was the best facility this island has to offer. That is sad.

To start with it was difficult to get a "confirmed" reservation at this hotel. They wanted a bank transfer or a cash deposit in order to confirm the reservation. Credit card not permitted for this purpose.

The room was the third best they had to offer ( The Executive Suite) and went for over 4,000 Pisos per night, very over priced for what was provided. For this price the room was barely acceptable. The one robe & slippers that were provided felt like something bought at a thrift store.

There was no security box/safe provided in the "Suite". No Internet access available. No complementary coffee/tea provided. The best thing I could say about the "Suite" was that the king sized bed was comfortable.

My fiancée swam in the pool, and noticed after she had already entered it that the pool was filthy. She acquired an infection in her nose due to the filthy pool that almost sent her to the hospital, and did incur additional expense to visit with the doctor and purchase medications.

The one redeeming point to this "Resort" was a club/restaurant at the rear of the property named Freddy's. They put on a Thanksgiving spread that would compare with some U.S. restaurants. They provided turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes,(no sweet potatoes) gravy,(cold) and cranberry sauce, but no pumpkin pie. Over all this was a pleasant surprise.

In summation, I would recommend the restaurant, but not the "Resort".

Room Tip: Maybe the "Presidential Suite"?
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple