“Bad form from the front desk personnel” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Circle Inn - Iloilo City Center

Circle Inn - Iloilo City Center
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Iloilo City
Manila, Philippines
“Bad form from the front desk personnel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Let me start with the good, of which, to be fair, there were many.

First, location. The hotel is near the wharf. In fact, if you are looking for a jump off point for Guimaras, which is what my friends and I were after, this is definitely the place to be. I cannot judge the distance to malls since we didn't go to any, but I distinctly remember a Robinsons mall not quite far away.

Second, the rooms. I saw both the room I stayed in, a double, and the room my friends stayed in, which was a triple. Both were spacious, especially the triple room. The rooms were nice and clean. The toilets were clean as well.

Now on to the bad. Any good that the hotel might have had was definitely outweighed by the bad, hence, the negative rating.

Another member of our group could not fly out with us the night before and so had to arrive early morning the next day. They did not let her into the extra room that we had booked for her. It wasn't until later that morning when one of our group woke up that she was able to get into the room. This, despite the fact that our friend left very specific instructions to the front desk staff about this matter.

Second, when they complained the next day, instead of apologizing (even a fake one would have sufficed at this point), the front desk person was very belligerent, rude and obnoxious about the matter. She was very dismissive and had no sense at all of propriety or of good customer service.

This was strike three for us already since the extra room that we actually had was not a necessity. My friend could have stayed in one of the rooms that we had previously booked except that they refused to cancel our booking despite the booking having been made through the phone and the cancellation being asked for the week prior to our arrival.

All in all, this hotel's staff need training in customer service. For that reason, despite the good things about this hotel, my verdict would definitely be a pass on this one. If you have any other choice, which there are others in Iloilo, pass on this one and go for a hotel that knows how to deal with customers decently.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank sleepyinsomniac
SmrtTrav, General Manager at Circle Inn - Iloilo City Center, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
The management and staff of Circle Inn would like to thank you for taking the effort to point out the good points of our hotel. I am really disappointed that you came out of your visit with us irate as a result of your desire to get a refund for one of the rooms you booked thru Agoda which we did not cancel per your insistence that your friend will be arriving early in the morning of your departure date.

As a standard practice when we encounter any guest issue, we de-brief all the staff involved as well as go thru the CCTV footage. I am afraid to conclude that your recollection of events is full of inaccuracies probably to mask the fact that you were in the wrong all along but decided to ride on the maxim that guests (or customers) are always right (in your case, even if you are wrong, as long as you shout at the service staff long enough and write a bad review). As a result, I feel obligated to explain points that our other readers might be interested to note:

1. If one of your friends plans changed (as you mentioned about a week prior to your overnight stay with us), you should contact Agoda where you made your booking to make the cancellation and not the hotel. We are not allowed to cancel Agoda’s bookings without written advise from Agoda. If you wish to be refunded the cancelled booking, you should have taken it up with Agoda after you make the cancellation. Again, not with the hotel since we did not receive any payment from you directly.

2. Since you did not cancel and insisted at around 1:00 am in the middle of your overnight stay that a friend will be arriving at around 5:00 am, we checked in the room and awaited your friend’s arrival. Our CCTV footage showed no one asking the staff at the Front Desk for the room which you booked which remained vacant until you checked out that morning and demanded a refund.

3. Upon your check out, you complained why your friend was not let into her room and my staff apologetically advised you that nobody approached them for it but you will have nothing of it. We could make out in the CCTV footage you shouting “Sorry? Sorry is not good enough! …”

I agree that our staff needs training in handling scandalous and unreasonable guests but they did nothing wrong nor were they in anyway “belligerent, rude and obnoxious”. If you mean by “dismissive and had no sense at all of propriety or of good customer service”, when they kept quiet while you were making a scene, then that’s probably what many people would do to avoid inflaming the situation.

My staff try very hard and are very eager to please. I think they deserve some respect for their efforts and should not be accused in a public forum wrongly.

My advise to any traveller is to book directly with your hotel. If you find a better deal with other travel agencies, then go ahead and book with them. Most important is you have to communicate with whoever you book with if you have any concerns or amendments. I am sure we could have addressed your concerns thru your travel agent to your satisfaction.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cainta Rizal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

The hotel was very accessible to and from Ortiz Wharf and major malls like Robinson's and SM.Check in/check out was very fast and seamless. We didn't have any problems going around the City Proper coming from this hotel. Just didn't like one Front Desk person who wasn't very welcoming when we arrived though the friendliness of the other hotel staff more than made up for it. We got a room with balcony, which was huge enough for 4 people. Don't get me wrong, i loved the space :). There's WIFI, swimming pool and jacuzzi. Will stay in this hotel if and when I go back to Iloilo.

Room Tip: Get a room with balcony, facing the pool area.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thornton, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is a newer smaller hotel. Front desk staff is excellent. Housekeeping very good at cleaning. Good value for your money.

Some rooms have views of the sea, others just street or pool view.
I had room with balcony over looking the pool. Only problem, the bar at night, sounds would vibrate thru the floor even though had at least one floor separating from the room.

Hotel restaurant is just a basic restaurant. Food okay. Service is good except if they get busy. Some food would come cold.

Location is city proper, not hard to find. Close to public market and Robinson Mall. A little off of main street. Not to noisy.

Better just to get taxi from airport to hotel. Hotel transfer service more expensive.

Room Tip: Choose room on 4th floor with sea view. Morning sun could be problem with sea view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

this hotel just gave me so much trouble. As a write my reviews I'm still here standing and just had unfinished bath:(((((( the water got out and it became black. They are doing this maintenance in the morning when very body is using it. And I called up front desk is ther any other way that I can my bath? And she advise me to use the shower downstairs at the poolside. Wow thank you very much. Went downstairs had my bath. In the middle the water started getting black again:((((( and its gone. So sorry:(((( I ask her the front desk. What happend? And she told me its also going for maintence. What the hell? You should have told me that this shower room is going for maintenance as well. So I should have not embarrass my self. Walking in the lobby w/ unfinished bath. You ruin my day.until now I'm still waiting for the water to come back. Now it's been 1 hr.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank junie101
SmrtTrav, General Manager at Circle Inn - Iloilo City Center, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
My sincere apologies for the inconvenience we have caused you due to the failure of our water pumps resulting in low water level in our overhead tanks. This normally results in fine particulates that accumulate at the bottom of the water tank to be stirred up and pass thru the supply pipes. We will be installing new early warning system soon to prevent this incident from occurring again. In the meantime we have instituted stricter monitoring of our water systems.

Again, my sincere apologies and if you checked out prior to our giving everybody a discount for this inconvenience, we will be more than happy to defer the discount for your next visit.
Makati, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed here last May 3-4, 2013 for a work related trip. The room is clean, with LCD TV and hot shower. The wifi is fantastic even inside my room! Although, I booked for a double deluxe with a view of the sea, they gave me a room opposite from it!

The location is so-so. I always need to take a cab because the jeepney routes are confusing to go around the city and to find a good place to eat because there's none nearby. The hotel cafe is not worth your money so if you want to eat good food then you have to go out!

Room Tip: Get the one with the view of the sea!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Cebu City, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights last May 8-9,2013. We had a great time in Iloilo Circle inn its quite simple yet so elegant.
My partner and I loved the food and the place as well. Looking forward to stay again in your place :-)

Room Tip: must try folks !:)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed for 3 days and 2 nights.
Business related

Like:
1. Location - near everything such as mall, airport, schools, banks, food outlets etc.
2. Housekeeping - daily housekeeping, new towels daily
3. Facilities - new hotel so everything is still in order. AC is functioning as well as hot and cold water. Has small swimming pool. Has restaurant so meals are served hot and fresh. No foul odor in the room. WELL MAINTAINED HOTEL.
4. Rate - reasonable. ideal for business travelers and family. THIS IS NOT A RESORT so do not expect beach near in the area. Even meals in the restaurant are priced reasonably.
5. Security - has guard 24/7
6. Staff - helpful and knowledgeable

For improvements:
1. Pls add safe in the room as well as fridge (Standard room)
2. Pls add toothbrush and toothpaste (Standard room)
3. If they can add more amenities like: gym, spa etc then itll be great!

VERDICT:
My room is spotless. Quiet, price is reasonable, well lit lobby and has pool. The location may be so-so but generally we had a good and pleasurable experience in this hotel. Recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles