“Good place, bad service”

Circle Inn - Iloilo City Center
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Iloilo City
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I went there for Dinagyang Festival. Booked the family room since there were supposedly 5 of us. Since my other friends were unable to make it to the trip due to work, only 2 of us went. I was looking forward to going to this hotel because it had good reviews here.

The pro's: they let us check in early. We arrived at the airport at 6am (the hotel charged us 800 pesos - about $20, for one way shuttle from the airport to the hotel), they let us check in at 7am. The room we got, as expected, was huge. Too big for 2 people but then again we rented a room for 6. Place was clean. It was very near where the festival parade will be so it was a plus for us. Very easy to take a cab from there to anywhere in the city, basically.

Wifi. Oh internet. Thank you.

The con's:

Like I said, the hotel charged us $20 for the shuttle, per way. So we paid $40 total for airport transfers.

The first night we were there, the hot/cold shower didn't work. Water was too cold for me. I really wanted a hot shower but it didn't work. I had to call maintenance twice to get it fixed.

There wasn't a fridge in the family room, so I had to always order a bucket of ice when I need to drink.

The 2nd day of our trip, we came back from the festival and found that there was a cockroach in the room. It fell from when the aircon turned on.

Also on the 2nd day, for breakfast (we didn't order any since we knew Iloilo food trip was inevitable outside the hotel), someone kept calling our room saying that we did have breakfast downstairs at the buffet. Because this person insisted, we got up early and went down. When we went down, they just told us that we had to buy breakfast. I said no someone called and told us there was breakfast for us. But I said okay, I'll just pay for my breakfast then. When we were ordering our breakfast, they told us that we cannot order ala carte, only the buffet. I found this absurd! Do they expect all guests to take the buffet? I don't intend to indulge for breakfast so why are they forcing me to buy the buffet - which was double the price of what I wanted to order. I just wanted bacon.

We arrived back at the hotel after touring around the city. I was waiting to go back to the hotel to use the bathroom. I was so surprised to see that the toilets in our room (there were 2), had black, dirty water in them. We had to flush the toilet 10 times before they returned to normal.

I went to the reception to go online, try to print my tickets for our flight back home. I thought since the wifi was free, they wouldn't charge me if I use the internet on their desktop to download my ticket. I was surprised when I asked the lady at the counter that she was asking me not only for printing services but for the internet as well. HAAAYYY. But I was able to reason out with this woman. So she let me just pay for the printing. Besides, I used the internet 1 minute - just to download my e-ticket. Why ask me to pay 60 pesos for that!?

So anyway, that's it. I really promised I would write a review of the place. I liked the place but the service was so bad. To think, we were paying for the biggest, most expensive room in the hotel. In other hotels, they would have treated me better.

Well that's it. I think that's all I have to say about this place.

Room Tip: Get the room with a view of the pool.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Karmela88
SmrtTrav, General Manager at Circle Inn - Iloilo City Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Thank you for your candid and balanced comments and my sincere apologies for the service lapses and miscommunication that occurred during your visit with us. I have debriefed all the staff involved based on your comments and we hope to do better next time. Just some points of clarification:

1. We have fixed our airport shuttle service pricing to a per van basis instead of per head and our rate is quite competitive with other hotels in Iloilo. This is a private shuttle therefore our guests do not share the same ride with other guests. The van can accommodate up to 10 passengers. Taxi's are also available from P400-P500 per trip but can only fit 4 comfortably with limited luggage space. Our guests can pick which options they feel give them the best value for money.

2. We employ many strategies including the use of delayed-action insecticides to prevent insects of all types from entering our premises from the outside. It is often difficult to preempt where they come out to die and so my apologies for your encounter. Trust that they do not reflect the cleanliness of our rooms and premises that we always strive to perfect.

3. The dirty water in the toilet bowl was caused by a failure of one of our pumps which made the water level in our tank very low and therefore stirred the iron and other mineral deposits that normally sink to the bottom to enter the piping system. The water that we use to flush our toilets are not the same as the water used for our showers and faucets. They run on separate lines and are stored in separate tanks as well. I hope this gives everybody a peace of mind.

Again thank you for your comments and we look forward to your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Circle Inn - Iloilo City Center

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Iwas very pleased with this hotel large double room very clean nice bathroom, only hing it needs is a fridge in room but was stil first class, Ground floor had a small pool great for children if you have also restaurant again very clean and very nice staff, I

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
SmrtTrav, General Manager at Circle Inn - Iloilo City Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate knowing that the efforts of all our staff did make your stay enjoyable and pleasant. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed in Circle Inn for one night last October. We never expected that this hotel is really good. The room is clean and very classy. It's worth the price we pay. They have a very nice swimming pool though its a little bit small as compared to other hotel but who cares..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jlpcruz04
SmrtTrav, General Manager at Circle Inn - Iloilo City Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Thank you for sharing your pleasant surprise. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

There are several hotels in and around Iloilo city to stay at - with varying prices and access to wifi and complimentary breakfast. I chose Circle Inn primarily as it was very close to Ortiz Wharf/port (to Guimaras). It didn't kill as well that the hotel was also very new (less than a year old).

We arrived in Iloilo city in the morning to head to Guimaras for a day trip. We thought we'd try our luck and see if the hotel would allow an early check-in (regular check-in time is 2pm). Luckily, the front desk assistants were able to make an exception let us check in early - at 9am. (I think it was a quiet day at the hotel). Thankfully, we were able to freshen up and leave our luggage in the room before heading to Guimaras.

The Standard room was clean and pretty spacious. It had the basics - a cozy bed (great sheets), an LCD TV, a desk and chair and an open closet. It also had, as requested, a view of the hotel pool.

Extra towels and requests for a hairdryer come with additional fees. I was a bit disappointed with this, but I'm guessing this is a standard for 2- to 3-star hotels.

The Standard room for two doesn't include a mini bar/fridge and coffee/coffee maker. We were aware of that. A deluxe room (for three) would include these amenities for an additional fee of at least P800. The room rates do not include free breakfast (which is a shame), but it did include free Wifi inside guest rooms and around the hotel facilities. (The wifi connection, sadly was crappy in the evening, but came back the day after - it was a pretty fast connection). I noticed the room lacked a power socket near the bed. If you have a laptop, you'll have to settle on just using the desk area.

The hotel is located in an area may look 'unsafe' or raw at first (it's a 2-minute stroll to the Iloilo Public Market and a few local canteens just across the main entrance but we didn't encounter any issues). We were able to stroll to the Ortiz Wharf/Port just fine. The hotel is also a 2-3 minute jeepney ride to Robinsons Place mall - which is a great place to shop and dine.

The hotel also has a cafe near the pool area.

If you just need a basic clean room to stay in and plan to visit Guimaras (and still want to stay in Iloilo), this hotel would be a good pick.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the pool (or a room with a view of Guimaras island - for a different r...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank LGR_1118
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I am currently in the hotel as I type this review. On my arrival after prebooking a room, i was informed the P1900 room that I booked is not available and I have to take the upgrade at P2400 at my own cost. Even though they made the mistake the receptionist is not willing to take the responsibility. The best offer was that she book me for three days into this room but the other days I have to check into the more expensive room. I am shocked that I have to pay for their mistake!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Pvleroux
SmrtTrav, General Manager at Circle Inn - Iloilo City Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you for your comments and my apologies for the aggravation that the miscommunication has caused. As a result of this event, we are rethinking our room labeling.

My investigation and debriefing of my staff showed that the booking was indeed for the Premium Room (also with balcony) for the promo rate of P2,400 as the Deluxe Balcony rooms were actually not available for the duration of stay requested during the time of the booking. The confusion I think arose during check in where our staff "forgot" that the Premium room had a balcony which is bigger and with a beautiful view of the Strait of Guimaras. Of course we are open to changing bookings per guest request during check in as long as the new room requested is available. Unfortunately in this case they were not since they've all been booked earlier than this particular booking. As such, I understand the frustration.

I hope that you will give us another chance to show you our kind of hospitality which you must have experienced while with us for a few days even if the room confusion dented that experience.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

loved the place the room service was excellent the food was great the house keeping was exceptional and we loved the 6 days we stayed there great deal thanks Circle inn our honey moon was one to remember

Room Tip: don't eat the cheese burgers they don't understand our food so well
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JamesLejeune
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Our first trip to Iloilo happened last SEp 7 to 9, 2012. From airport, we were greeted with a big tag bearing my name and rode at least 30 minutes more before we reaching the hotel. I was glad to see that the hotel I booked through Agoda was nice, new and clean and the staff accomodating. Our family didn't check in the first day because we planned to stay in one of the hotel/beach resort in Guimaras but they allowed us to check in our baggage.

With the cost of 2k per night, our room - panaromic balcony was quite spacious, very clean and smelled fresh, all towels were new and clean as well. Our room which was located at 3rd floor faces the swimming pool and with a balcony, one can view people swimming and chilling around.

At night, you can chill out at Wave, same owner of hotel, the acoustic band play there if you're into music. The food was same as those served in the hotel but they ddon't accept credit card-cash only.

The kids enjoyed their stay in this hotel because of the basic amenities but very clean and spacious room, food were affordable as well.

Room Tip: Panaromic Balcony- spacious and very clean
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank IamShandy
SmrtTrav, General Manager at Circle Inn - Iloilo City Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Thank you for your review and we appreciate your sharing your positive experience with our hotel. With regards to credit/debit cards, Wave Lounge like the hotel and coffee shop do accept all major issuers. We have interviewed all our staff and they know that we do accept credit/debit cards so I'm really sorry if there was some miscommunication from our side.

Again, thank and for sharing your thoughts and we look forward to your future visit.