“Beautiful, but badly organized”
Review of Canigao Island

Ranked #11 of 99 things to do in Leyte Island
Reviewed August 12, 2012

For an afternoon or for a couple of days, Canigao Island is a place to see (and stay) in Leyte. The island sits at about one mile off the coast of Matalom.
The islet really is tiny. At low tide, you can actually walk around the place in a little bit more than thirty minutes. On the Northern side of the island, there is a fish sanctuary where fishing is prohibited. You can swim there and see many types of fish and corals, but the current can be tricky at times, so be sure to have fins.
On the Southern end, at low tide, a long sand beach shows up, offering beautiful scenery.
The island has a few cottages to rent for the night. The local government has also set up a few shops full of junk food On weekends, it can be very messy. A lot of people come there with their families. The local "tourists" can be quite a nuisance singing and drinking loudly until late at night and not being really respectful of other people on site.
Eventually, the place can get very dirty in a very small amount of time as people prefer throwing their litter (food, plastic, bottles, ...) on the floor - or worse in the water - than taking it back on land to a proper bin. Canigao is becoming far too popular for its surface ...
It is however an island with a white sand beach, rather calm on week days, and cheap ... Entrance is less than one dollar and staying overnight in a cottage will cost you about $5.
I hate to say that, but I think Canigao should be bought by a rich businessman to turn it into a beautiful nature-orientated resort without garbage and drunk people everywhere, in order to keep the environment intact.

8  Thank Curufinwe

Reviewed April 10, 2012

the place was nice and perfect.... the only other side comment that i can say is about the maintenance of the island..... i would just propose to the local government of matalom, leyte to please ensure the cleanliness of the toilets and bathrooms.... the garbage should be dispose properly......

or maybe put warnings for all the tourists ( locals or foreign ) to keep the shore line clean all the time for the safety of all.....

overall the place was great....

we have already plan for the second visit to the island...
mabuhay philippines.... mabuhay matalom, leyte

4  Thank roseteg
Reviewed January 13, 2011

I was excited that a member of the family asked me whether I would like to go spend the day in the island while I was in Leyte. The island is very tiny! I found out that the seashells were very delicious steamed! I love this part! We rented a cottage of which it wasn't the problem. The problem was using the bathroom!!!! Aside from the entrance fee to use the island, they charged each person to use the bathrooms depending on your usage, whether you're taking a shower or using the toilet!!!! The ocean was not really clean! It had some debris and trash floating around. I was very disappointed but tasted different kinds of seashells for the first time.

10  Thank ameck9
Reviewed June 12, 2010

we just recently visited canigao Island. we were very disappointed it was very dirty, smelly, plenty flies and disgusting we found sanitary pads burried in the sand.

16  Thank tagals
Reviewed August 20, 2009

Canigao island has changed much in the past few years. When I first went there with my family, it very beautiful, and entrance was free. But recently, for our honeymoon, my wife and I stayed at Guerrero Beach and we spent one day in this island, and my wife loved it. It was still the same peautiful island, but it had changed for the better. Cottages were put up, and there is now an entrance fee, to keep the island clean. I am glad that management of this island has been turned over to the Matalom municipal government. I'm from Matalom myself, and I'm glad that our little town hasn't changed. I recommend that you go visit Matalom, Leyte.

5  Thank TopetQ