“Surprisingly hard to find”

Waterfront Airport Hotel and Casino
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Though right next to the airport we had to ask about 5 people and eventually found our way in via the car park rather than carry are bags up the stairs. This probably should reflect badly non us and our sense of direction rather than the hotel. The room was nice and the staff very helpful only wish wed had chance to try the pool.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank rrddaa
Write a ReviewReviews (2,066)

Reviewed November 20, 2012

When they say that this hotel is 'a stone's throw from the Airport' they really weren't kidding. You can't get closer. You cross the street after exiting from the Arrival Terminal, and you're there. If you're transiting Cebu, it can't get more convenient than this.

With the inaugural Ironman 70.3 Cebu Philippines getting well deserved rave reviews, I will write this with my fellow triathletes who are thinking of coming to the 2013 edition in mind.

Full disclosure: I only took this hotel because of all the official Ironman hotels, this was the cheapest, and the event hotel itself (where the swim start was), the Shangri-la Mactan, was fully booked.

As mentioned before, location is directly across the airport so you can literally roll your bike box over to the lobby, build the bike and be out cycling in Cebu in less than 15 minutes.

There is a shuttle from the Waterfront to Shangri-la Mactan and that was a great convenience for my wife and kids. For me it was a leisurely 8km bike ride.

Room was spacious, amenities were simple but not lacking, service was great but its what I always expect when in the Philippines as the people there are probably the warmest and friendliest on earth. Lunch / breakfast at the hotel all day dining was good (although the breakfast was better) and surprisingly cheap.

There were glitches in my booking as the first room they gave me, which they called 'deluxe pool view' or something, was actually unsuitable as it was a walk up, and the narrow corridor made it very difficult to negotiate carrying my bike. The second room was in the main building but on a smoking floor, which was an absolute NO for me. The third room hit the spot. Fortunately I had gone a few hours ahead of my family, or else transferring rooms 3 times would have been a huge hassle. I was in race mode at the time so I didn't really let this unexpected snafu ruin my mood. The staff were also quite helpful and apologetic about it all so that helped.

Final Verdict: If you are going for the race, stay at the Shangri-la because the convenience of actually staying at the race site is worth the extra $35 or so per night. If youre seeking a convenient and cheaper alternative, this hotel is good as long as you don't expect a super-luxurious stay.

Room Tip: There are two Waterfront Hotels in Cebu, so when getting a taxi from elsewhere, be sure to specify...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mpua66
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I've stayed here a few times mostly because the flights I usually have either leave at 1am or come in at midnight. The hotel is walking distance from the customs exit (maybe 100-150 feet) and yet there is very little noise from in-coming or out-going planes. It is an upscale hotel, but it ain't the Ritz. The rooms are large, clean and comfortable and the employees are always willing to help with any little problems. The restaurant is very nice and has a wonderful breakfast buffet. The lobby is a bit open (maybe "spacious" is a better word) and because of that it seems pretty loud with all the echoes from guests and workers, etc. Merry Ann and I have our own place in Cebu so I don't "do" hotels very much there. Our place is pretty far from the airport so it's always nice to get a good night's sleep before, or after, the trek to the house.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Brian G
Reviewed October 17, 2012

stayed there for a 2nd time, the location is 50m away from the airport (just across the street), which is convenient. Food is a bit expensive for what you get, I expected Cebu to be less expensive than Manila, but it's not.
Also had some trouble to get the safe operating, finally got it to work, but at my departure it was closed and remained closed, so i could not withdraw the stuff I put in. After several attempts it worked again, fortunately.
Staff is friendly and helpful.
Vast choice for breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 29, 2012

If you have a short overnight between flights (say, 8 hours) and you wish to make the most of every minute to get some sleep - choose this hotel. Otherwise, take a little of your precious time and go somewhere nicer. I had 16 hours between my flights - I wish I'd gone elsewhere!
If you are going to Cebu on holiday, PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE. There are so many much nicer places in Cebu! You will get quite the wrong impression of the place in this hotel :(
The rooms are old with tatty carpet and chips in the bath. The wifi is sporadic and only connects in some areas of the room. The bed was comfortable enough although pillows were like rocks. View is of the airport terminal. The breakfast buffet had about 20% of what you would expect for each type of cuisine - ie eggs and bacon but no sausage or tomato or hash browns; cereals consisted of two types of sugary confection; one choice of bread; waffles were precooked (not well) and left to go cold.
The fitness centre is dire - not a single piece of cardio equipment - the rest is weights machines all stuffed together in a tiny room with ill-functioning aircon and set up for male weights only - I'm fit female but I had to use the lightest weights because of the stiffness and setup. The pool is 3 ft deep in all places, otherwise pleasant.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I just want to tell you that my experience here was great. The hotel might need a little work but the staff more than makes up for this. I have never been to philippines and I was a bit nervous. The staff from the hotel clerks to the bellhop were great. I felt so comfortable when I arrived. Even the security guy was friendly. I felt so good here. The breakfast buffet was excellent. The chefs were professional and provided the best customer service I ever received. I would recommend this to anyone...Yes the hotel needs renovations but with the staff it more than makes up for these shortcomings.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for the room with hdtv or you will get the old style tvs that tend to be very blur...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I have had the worst experience ever in a hotel on my whole life. Rooms were not ready while we requested them before to be early ready and we paid an extra of 1000 php for that. However no rooms were ready. Airport shuttle never showed up and I Had to call the hotel 3 times to assure me that shuttle and we ended up taking a cab. However shuttle was requested prior as well.

You need to order the thing 5 times to get it. They have no steak knife, no fresh pepper grinder, no Tabasco, and very old place not as you see on the website and their casino is full of video machines. Nothing real.

The only good thing is the location near to the airport and as well away from the city corruption.

• Stayed: September 2012
Eloisa Royal Suites
#6 of 32 in Lapu Lapu
5 mi away
Waterfront Cebu City Hotel & Casino

Been to Waterfront Airport Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!