“Certainly Excellent Service”

Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
“Certainly Excellent Service”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We tried different resorts on our most recent vacation to the Philippines. Let me emphasize that it was worth every penny spent for such top rated resort with the Filipino excellent service. We stayed in their suite room, one floor below the penthouse. The view was phenomenal. The in-room breakfast was just what we wanted. Chefs made complimentary energy booster drinks, which we appreciate. The Ibiza Bar, fronting the ocean with hanging hammocks was my favorite. It has suited to our taste of open bar. It has jacuzzi in the middle, which I literally patronize everyday. Modern and classy. The best part to it, happy hour which makes all drinks 50%. I don't think I can enjoy such anywhere else. People were friendly and anticipates our needs most of the time. Food in the restaurant were decent as well. We took a lot of beautiful pictures, since we love photography. Promoted them in facebook and it's all good compliments from my friends. Will not hesitate to spend another vacation here in the future.

From A and P

Room Tip: Get the suites, higher floors, ocean view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Arjho G
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
We are always happy to receive such positive comments and compliments about our facilities and services. We are glad you had an enjoyable stay with us and left with a overall positive impression.
We hope we can welcome you back again on a future trip to Cebu.

ones again, thank you for the high rating and your review

Knuth Kiefer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Cebu City, Philippines
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I am very pleased with my stay in your hotel last June 14-15 the reason I am sending you this E-mail.

I would like to personal commend all of your staff for being very courteous and very hospitable.

Every staff that we meet, greets us good morning/afternoon/evening and I even received a call asking me if there is anything else they could do
that could make my stay even better. That made my day!

They've help me a lot in organizing my private dinner and I feel sorry for myself that I didn't take note of their names.

There's this lady who kept on calling me to arrange the private dinner, the flowers and everything.

During the dinner, the supervisor even served as our butler and made sure that everything goes well.

I loved what they've done with the dessert. Everything was perfect!!!

I hope you can forward this to them and let them know that I am extremely satisfied with your services.

My deepest gratitude and I hope you keep on hiring good people and won't get tired of doing what you are currently doing.

I love Moevenpick! I would certainly recommend you to my friends.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cyril D
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Thank you very much for your email as well as for sharing your review on this website.
My team and myself are very happy that you had such a great experience in our hotel and that your private dinner that was arranged has left you with such great memories. Rest assured that we will share your comments with the staff here at the hotel, which is a great source of encouragement and motivation for them.

We do hope to welcome you back here again soon.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

We stayed for 3nights on a 2BR suites on the 5th and 15th floor. We enjoyed our stay in this hotel. The staff are all friendly. And I'm happy that they granted my request to surprise my hubby and my bro with a birthday cupcakes (cakes are chargable) upon arrival though it was initially a bit messed up coz the staff at the concierge was clueless about it. But still appreciated. Rooms are spacious but doors on the bathrooms are "see thru" and got no bidet lol. During our stay, d suite aircon was not cold. Free shuttle service to city are very limited timings. White
jeepney limousine are on
display.Ibiza dinner buffet would be nice but a bit pricey for me to treat my whole family of 15. The
beach is a picture perfect but not to swim at.Overall, nice hotel for couples and small families to unwind and be lazy.

2 Thank NadyaEmerson
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
thank you very much for your review and for selecting our hotel for your recent stay here in Cebu.
I am glad to read that you had an overall good impression of our hotel and especially our staff.
I have taken note of some of the comments you made and we will see how we can address those concerns to further improve.
We do hope that you will be staying with us again on a future visit to Cebu.

Thanks again

Philip, South Dakota
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

It was surely fun to be around friends you haven't seen for almost 2 years. Unfortunately, I wasn't as pleased with this hotel. I loved the fact that it was popular among foreigners but as a locale who has been away for 2 years, it didn't quite meet my expectations. The parking area by the basement was dark and congested. The rooms were small, we ended up asking them to transfer us. And the elevators? They were tiny especially when you got a big company of 8 people. Luckily for the hotel though, they have a bar called Ibiza located at the beautiful oceanfront. The drinks were mediocre. The waiter didn't carry a pen and a paper he made a mistake on getting us what we ordered. I just graciously accepted it and ordered again because my friend was about to yell at him. Besides, it was happy hour! Drinks are practically 50% off! That was the best part! As for the hotel crew, I love the smiles on their faces. Nothing beats Filipino hospitality.

• Stayed June 2014
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
I thank you for selecting our hotel for your recent visit to Cebu. I do apologize that we have not lived up to your expectations and I appreciate your feedback.
While it will be hard to address some of your concerns, like the car park space and the size of the elevators, we certainly will look into the problem you encountered at our Ibiza Beach Club.

I appreciate you pointing out the smiles and hospitality of our employees, as we believe they truly are our most important asset.

I do hope, that despite the various shortcomings you pointed out, you will give us another try on a future visit to Cebu.

Thanks again

Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I stayed at the Moevenpick Hotel while on business in Cebu. I had reserved a suite room and was surprised that it was a little on the small size. I had stayed at this hotel when it was a Hilton and was on the Executive Floor then. The bed was comfortable and the a/c was great. When I got up the next morning, I found out that my Shower did not work, so I was forced to use the hand shower in the bathtub. I ate at Ibiza and the food was good but a little on the high end. I thought breakfast was also a little pricey. I would say that the staff is a plus and that they seem very helpful. Overall, I would probably stay there again but not because I really want to but because my other choices are not as good.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
I thank you very much for sharing your views about our hotel on this website.
My apology for the apparent problem you encountered with the shower in your room.
Overall you seem to be satisfied with your stay but we hope that your next visit will be even more enjoyable. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance for a future booking. You may want to try our new Executive Lounge next time as well to experience the improvements we have made.

Again, thank you very much for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon

Reno, Nevada
Reviewed June 16, 2014

So far all I have tone is check in and for a Movenpic resort I expected a whole lot more. Let's start with transportation, they will not allow taxis in and if you have to call one you are calling on your own. They do have a car that will take you to the airport but they charge you an additional 600 pesos. The ride from Cebu city was only 300 peso. The rooms are old and musty and small. After staying at the Marriott last night this hotel is a major disappointment.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank reddogsailor
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
I appreciate you sharing your observations with us as this helps us to further improve. I am sorry to read that your initial impression was below your expectation.
I was however a bit surprised about your comments on Taxis as we certainly allow taxis to enter our property and also call taxis for our guests from the street level. I therefore would appreciate if you could maybe personally contact me for further details so I can understand the concern better. you can reach me at: Knuth.kiefer@moevenpick.com

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

The hotel lobby is impressive. I really like how they styled the lobby. We checked in after lunch and the rooms were already available. We booked a suite and a regular room. The receptionist was accomodating and nice. The beachfront of this hotel looks beautiful But the beach is rocky. It is difficult to swim around. Shangri-La Mactan's beach is way much better. We have tried the food both in our rooms and in the restaurants. They have advertised this hotel as a 5 star in service but it is not.
Here are the bad points:
-our suite sink leaked and flooded our bathroom. Service was available and quick tho.
-we ordered advanced breakfast using the one hanging on the doors. The kitchen didn't inform us that both the main and the dessert had some side dishes not available. Guess what, we had lots of rice cakes and mangoes. No one even called us to inform us that what we ordered were not available that maybe we would like to change it. The rice cakes taste gingery. No one liked it.
-all restaurants share the same menu. We took a cab and had our lunch in Shangri-la instead.
- service in the restaurant is not a 5 star, not even close. Sails, the restaurant, was the only restaurant who never provided a placemat and put the utensils just above the table. The chicken we ordered, 4 out of 4 had some raw parts inside. Too bad, chicken was delicious.
The bill took a bit long too. The receipt mentioned some complimentary appetizer, guess what, they forgot to bring them to our table! My goodness!

The rooms were clean and beds were comfortble. The bathroom was spacious but I find it dark. They should have used light colored walls. Dark walls don't show you how dirty they are already. Toiletries were generous. Housekeeping was also very helpful to us.

Having stayed both in Shangri-la and Moevenpick, I will still recommend this hotel but not my first choice. Expectations never met. It is a beautiful hotel but needs a lot of improvement especially on restaurant service.
Also, I wonder why a luxury hotel sells pouches, mobile phones cases that can also be found in the streets of Manila sold by street vendors? I am referring to the shop on the right coming from the entrance. What's funny, they have logos of high end brands. Cute but no thanks.
Best part/s:
-My thumbs up for the housekeeping personnels.
-the receptionists were accomodating.
-Beef caldereta, crispy pata and molten cake were amazing. Try them!
-Fastest check out ever! Amazing.

Our stay wasn't perfect but we still had a good time. It could be a lot better though.

1 Thank Azsha
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
I appreciate you taking time to share your observations with us and I thank you for the constructive feedback.
My apology that some of the experiences you had were not up to your expectations and certainly not up to the service levels we set out to provide to our guests. We will look at the various points you have raised so we can address those areas accordingly.
I do hope that you will give us another try on a future visit to the area in order for us to hopefully leave you with a much better impression than we did on your recent stay. Please feel free to contact me personally at any time if I can assist with a future booking.(Knuth.kiefer@moevenpick.com)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#12 of 31 in Lapu Lapu
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 91 in Cebu City

Been to Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!