“Spotless”

Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Saipan, Mariana Islands
“Spotless”
Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

Without a second thought, i would recommend this hotel to my friends and family. Sure, it's not top luxury but that's not what they aim at. This is a fresh and modern hotel, with employees who try to be personal and engaging. Not the usual stiff staff you find in other places. I enjoyed the vibe of this hotel and i don't write reviews usually, but this place deserves a thumbs up in my books.
The one thing i did not enjoy so much were the three huge towers this place features. Does somehow not seem to fit the rest of the concept.

Food was good as well and the place was very well kept.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karen L
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
It is always a pleasure receiving positive feedback from a guest who enjoyed staying with us and I thank you for selecting our hotel for your stay here in Cebu.
I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again on a future visit to the area.

Thanks again for taking the time to share this review.

Knuth Kiefer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Macau, China
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We had a very pleasant stay in this gorgeous Swiss hotel in Cebu, Philippines. Very friendly and professional staff and very nice beach also.
My wife and child very much enjoyed too., especially children activities and spa for my wife was wonderful.
Food was good and the room very clean. We liked the location because close to airport and also close for island hoping tour.
Thank you very much MovenPick Hotel Philippines

2 Thank Yang Ming L
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
We are glad to read that you had a great time at our hotel and that you and your family enjoyed the various activities we offer to our guests.
We hope that you will return to Cebu in the near future.

Muntinlupa, Philippines
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I will never recommend Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu to anyone. The staff are very rude, service is really bad and the food is one of the worst I have ever tasted. Everything is priced so high. All the money my family spent during our 5 day stay was not worth it. Its like we threw money for something we did not really enjoy. Its sad that we chose Movenpick Hotel for our summer vacation, we should have stayed in other resort hotels in the area. We had an encounter with very rude staff. We actually raised this concern to higher management but it seems like they do not know how to do Service Recovery. We received a very cheap bottle of wine (what the hell am I going to do with that? I don't even drink). Also, the service is really slow and they serve really expensive and bad tasting food. We had a very terrible experience.

For people who would want to try Movenpick, if I were you think twice. This hotel is over rated. I will never go back to this place. We wasted time and money.

Room Tip: Moevenpick is not good for families or friends. Bathroom doors are see-through.
5 Thank CAGonz
I am very sorry to read that your experience here at our hotel was such a negative one. We generally get very good comments about the friendliness of our team here so I am very concerned about your comment about a "rude" staff member, for which I would like to apologize.
If your travel plans will bring you back to Cebu in the near future, I would appreciate if you could give us another chance and I would be happy if you could contact me directly so I can assist with the arrangements.

Again, we are sorry that we did not provide you with the experience you were looking for.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We had 3 nights here last week, it was our first trip to Cebu and we had a lovely time. The hotel was nice but i have to admit not exactly what i was expecting. I had in my mind that it was a very new hotel (perhaps due to the modern decor in the pictures?!) but as it turns out this was rather naive of me! They still have a fair amount of work to do (particularly in the guest rooms). We did get a 50% discount booking with Agoda and therefore we got what we paid for but I think that if I had paid the full amount i would have been very disappointed!

The breakfast was nice, and having just read another review, I will back up the hotel by saying they certainly did have eggs, my days each started with a big omelette!!

The pool was ok but rather crowded late afternoon. However, the beach and the sea was perfect! Crystal water, with tones of fish, great for snorkelling.
They offered a good rage of water sports and diving but i felt it was all very overpriced. We didn't end up doing as much as i would have with them if they had been a bit more competitive.

The highlight was definitely the Ibiza beach club. It made for a lovely place to sit and have a cocktail in the late afternoon, either in their 'spa' pool or on the hammock style decks. My only comment would that it would have been nice to have bar snacks or something served here late afternoon. During the evening they served a Brazilian Churrasco here which was superb and made for a really good night. (the pão de queijo was spot on and made my Brazilian partner very happy!!)

The service was generally ok, the receptionists and concierge staff were all really friendly and attentive but they were just let down by some of the beach/pool/kitchen staff. It seemed to always take rather a long time to get any drinks or food.

Overall it was a pleasant stay and if the rooms get a bit of extra 'TLC' it has the potential to be very nice.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Amy H
I very much appreciate your review and the observations you made during your visit. I am glad that you enjoyed our Ibiza Beach Club, which is a unique concept here in the Philippines.
I am sorry to read though that the hotel was not quite as you expected but I hope that you had an overall enjoyable time with us? I thank you for your comments and do hope you will chose to stay with us again on a future trip to Cebu.

Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed May 18, 2014

From painless online booking to a very warm welcome by friendly staff. Great service, good size of room, very flash hotel facilities. Lively night shows to keep you alive. Awesome swimming pool for all guests size but a bit small in pool size considering the hotel has 3 towers on 20 storey building. Nice beach location with fish sanctuary within. good for scuba. Great view at night especially the pool & chairs with luminous lights. Lack of lifeguards in blind area and not strict in swimming attire. Above all. Worth a try and expect the unexpected.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
I thank you very much for writing about your recent stay with us and for giving us such high marks. We are happy that you had an enjoyable stay here and we hope to see you back again in the future.
I appreciate you pointing out your observations as this helps us to further improve.

Lancing, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

This is my last night at this resort. I normally don't like to stay in overpriced resorts everytime I visit Cebu but found a good deal and was keen to just stay by the beach since I only have less than a week in Cebu and guess what? Although the resort has been recently rebranded to its current name now I find the room we have unimpressive even with the discounted price but seems you get the money's worth somewhere else of about 25% of the hotels published room rates.

The staffs are upbeat but takes ages to get back with the food we ordered..even asking for the menu! It wasn't that busy by the lounge just near the pool. I wouldn't take it on account if it happened once but that incident happened more than 5 times.

What also upsets me a bit was my friends came around to see me to have a nice chat over lunch but they were scolded straight away that they were not allowed to swim by the pool when they could have been approached nicely by the staff even though they didn't have any intention of swimming! Instead of having buffet we changed our minds and had sone drinks and snacks which like I mentioned above was pretty disappointing considering the tab on the menu.

On the upside food and drinks are great just overly priced. I like the espresso as they do it right.. nice blend of crema, smooth and it was just perfect! The only thing that puts me off is that the resort only offers the same menu though they made my porridge when I asked one for breakfast since it wasn't on the menu..but have to tell the waiter how to make the porridge which was funny.

The beach is fine. Pool is fine... I think its because I have seen better. Not a big issue here but not the best either.

I think this place is great for family as they cater for children as well. Ideal for couples too.

One thing I have noticed, the place is being marketed as posh but overall its OK. It is fancy but OK.

They must do something about the toilets nearby the lounge because its odd... I know odd in good way and this is not one of those.

The chairs at the Sails Restaurant is not made for comfort nor it does have that Mediterranean atmosphere. Like I mentioned on my title its OK.

Will I go back to this place? Yes perhaps if I want to have espresso and lounge while having lunch but not when I get shooed off like what happened to my friends.

Went to check out the Ibiza themed it was all right. At least they have entertainment. Didn't stay after checking it out because it wasn't for my taste.

Overall, I'm glad that I booked the discounted room.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank viaje_cebuana
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Thank you very much for this constructive review of yours. I am sorry for the various issues you encountered where we provided you less than what you can expect from us. Your comments certainly help us to further improve on our services and I very much appreciate you pointing it out to me.
We will look at the various points you raised to address the issues on hand. I would be happy if you would chose to stay with us again on a future visit to Cebu and if I can be of any assistance to assist, please contact me at any time directly

Cebu City, Philippines
Reviewed May 15, 2014

This is more about sharing my horrendous experience in this hotel than a writing a review, but to be fair to the hotel, I will also point out the good points about the establishment.

Product:

1. The design of the hotel, pool and its furniture is fresh and very calming. The all white and hints of blue are relaxing to look at.

2. The Ibiza Beach Club, which I think, is the highlight of the hotel. All white interiors and furniture, and a Jacuzzi right smack at the center of the beach club.

3. The rooms are tiny for a 4 star hotel, although the interior is amazing. I got a one bedroom suite, but it was no bigger than Shangrila Mactan's standard deluxe room. It felt cramped for a suite.

4. The Food was ridiculously expensive for a 4 star hotel and the taste does not compensate for the premium price.. 560php or 13USD for a cup of singaporean noodle. Or 10USD for a cup of french fries with a side of dressing.

5. They didn't serve eggs on the breakfast buffet. period.

Service:

1. The staff, except the front desk, spoke little or gibberish English. Considering Movenpick is an international chained hotel..

2. We were kicked out of Ibiza Beach Club at 4pm in the afternoon because they were preparing for "private" function. I was told that I am not able to dine or drink for the rest of the day because they have to cater to the private party.. In other words, hotel guest can't use the facility if there is a "private" function.

as I complained to the Assistant front office manager about being not able to use a facility that a guest is entitled to enjoy. I was just answered by a simple phrase.. "You can make other reservations in other establishments (outside movenpick) if you want, sir"

After the function, around 10pm, they were letting the hotel guest in Ibiza, without letting the other guest know. after ordering our cocktails, we we're informed that the kitchen is closed but we can still order drinks.. Since, my girlfriend's mom was hungry, I called up guest services to deliver our table a plate of french fries from the lobby restaurant, which they agreed. a few minutes later, the Ibiza manager named "ronald", approach me and told me that it is not allowed for other movenpick restaurants to deliver food inside Ibiza beach club. to which, he added, "if you want, you can consume your food at the lobby and come back here". Furious, I called up guest services about the insult he inflicted towards me and my girlfriend's family. as I was complaining, we could hear the manager rant to his colleagues about our complaint to the front office.

3. At the beach, there are only two visible servers, waiting 40 sun chair tables.. As we managed to flag down a server, it took one hour for our food to be served.. It took another 20 minutes for our beer to be served.

4. We decided not to swim in the hotel swimming pool because we completely turned off by the cleanliness of the pool, there were spit and dirt floating in the people. To top it all off, we were given towels with one towel having a blood stain.

This Review is not about destroying the name of the hotel, but it is an honest and detailed account of what I and my girlfriend and her family have experienced.

if you're particular with service and price, then I suggest you go to another resort nearby.

10 Thank Cris G
I thank you for staying with us and I am sorry that your experience did not match your expectation.

Some of the incidents you have described are certainly a concern and we will look into how we can improve further. However, please allow me to clarify a few points for the benefit of other readers: I was surprised that you have stated that our breakfast does not feature eggs: we have a live egg cooking station each and every morning with egg dishes prepared to order. In regards to the event at our Ibiza Beach Club, it is correct that we have occasionally larger events at this outlet that result in the entire place being booked. This is a normal practice in any hotel and we advise guests accordingly with signage placed in the lobby as well as upon reservation requests. You did not make a prior reservation on that night, hence we were unable to inform you about the fully booked situation of this outlet.

As indicated, we will look at the other points you made and will improve further.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 87 in Cebu City
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,106 reviews

Been to Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!