“Expensive food”

Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Manila, Philippines
“Expensive food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

Hotel overall is very nice. Food though is expensive and for your own comfort, there is no other choice rather than to go out. Sadly, Ibiza beach club was closed for an event when we stayed here so we were not able to try the food. Room is also small especially bath tub.
P.S. Their chocolate hour is nothing to be excited about. There is only one guy in lobby giving a bite of chocolate. They don't even allow you to get 2nds even though there were only a few people and a lot of extras. Just lame.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JJtravelbuds
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
I thank you for taking the time to share your experience in our hotel and for the overall positive rating you have given us.
I am sorry that you were unable to enjoy our Ibiza Beach club as it was fully booked on the day you visited.
I have taken note about your comment about our chocolate hour. We will see how we can further enhance this service, however as it is a free offer from the hotel which we do not charge our guests for, most customers appreciate the unique little treat we give out complimentary.

I do hope that despite the down sides you pointed out, the positive aspects out weight the negative and you will give us another try on your next visit to Cebu.

Knuth Kiefer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hudson, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

The staff and service was 5 star- friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and we had a great balcony overlooking the beach and pool area. Overall, a beautiful hotel and plenty for couples to do from relaxing at the beach, a bar/nightclub overlooking the water, or chartering a small boat for sightseeing.
The resort is about 20 minutes from the airport at Mactan and the shuttle service is not included. There is not a lot to do within walking distance so plan to stay onsite during your visit, unless you rent a taxi.

Room Tip: I would request a pool side room with balcony for a great view of the sunrise and the pool and ocean...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
The entire team here at the hotel is happy to read you positive feedback, particularly on the friendliness of our staff and the service provided by them.
I am also happy that you pointed out the various activities we offer for our guests to chose from.

We do hope we will see you back here again soon on a future visit.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

Service is outstanding in all regards. They are quick attentive and very forthright. I never had to search for help and felt I could call them at all hours of the night for anything.
24 hour room service is a plus. A la carte breakfast menu is a nice offering if you want to avoid the buffet and all the calories though it did look pretty tasty.
Not much to do outside of the resort and Cebu city isn't much worth the long traffic-filled taxi drive. But with the pool, private beach and Tree Shade massage next door it's more than enough to relax for 3-4 days.
Their snorkeling costs were fair and service was very good to take you 30 minutes out on the boat to the fish sanctuary.
Didn't get a chance to eat at Ibiza but the lobby menu was delicious with a great club sandwich and appetizers. Abaca, just down the street, was were we had our great dinners though we heard good things about Ibiza. The chef was very nice to take some time and talk with us.
The layout of the hotel is comfortable though highly windy. Enjoyed the various levels seperating the pool from the beach from the restaurant from the hotel.

The service of the staff and availability of anything I asked for would easily make me return.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank LaurenceAllen
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
I highly appreciate you taking time to write about your experience and impressions of our hotel based on your recent visit. I am glad that especially the service of our employees was creating positive memories for you.
It is a pity that you did not have the opportunity to try our Ibiza Beach club during your recent visit as it is one of the most unique outlets in the entire Philippines. We do hope though that you will be returning for another visit shortly and enjoy a dinner or a few drinks there.

Thanks again

Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

Definitely a pleasant surprise and memorable stay.

The lobby is very cozy and makes you want to relax right there! Design and atmosphere of Ibiza club is amazing. Those hammock type nets on the side allows you to star gaze comfortably, listen to the sound of the waves and enjoy your cocktail all at the same time.

All employees are very accommodating. We had no issues when we wanted to check in early and to check out late on our last day.

Restaurant is a bit pricey though but serving is good for two.

Will definitely recommend this resort to friends and stay here again on my next Cebu trip.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
I highly appreciate your positive comments and the "excellent" rating here on Tripadvisor.
I m glad that our team here left you with such great memories and that you are planning to return on a future trip.
If there is anything we can do to make your next trip even more enjoyable, please feel free to contact me at any time directly.

Thanks again

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have stayed at the Movenpick Resort 3 times since August 2013. The service is excellent and the staff are always available to help guests with any request. The food at the restos is very good and not too expensive generally. They double-charged me for my room but we sorted it out.
My only gripe is that breakfast is $30 per person or $60 a couple. If you stay a week this is over $400 which is too much just for breakfast, especially when you are already paying well over $200 per day for your room. I suggest they reduce the breakfast rate somewhat. Other than this it is a great hotel and a good experience.

Room Tip: Island view room is best because ocean view room (more expensive) gets all the noise from the DJ dis...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
We highly appreciate your loyalty and positive comments about our hotel. I hope that you were also able to notice the changes we made to our entertainment program and music levels, which you pointed out on a previous review?

In regards to your current review, I am happy to ready your comment regarding our food quality and the generally fair pricing. I have noticed that you are booking through an online channel and have the option of pre-booking the breakfast inclusion, which would be cheaper than paying the breakfast separately during your stay.

I invite you to make your bookings personally through me for any future stays if you so which. You can reach me at my email address at: Knuth.kiefer@moevenpick.com

Thanks again for your continued support.

Beijing, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed here for a few nights through New Year's and the place was fully booked. Earnest and smiling staff who weren't particularly efficient (it took us about 30 minutes to receive our luggage in the room after check-in and two calls to the front desk) but that could've been because of the crowds. Breakfast buffet had a pretty good spread, but lacking vegetarian and custom-made options for lunch and dinner. Reasonable prices for food. Great massage and spa and also for a reasonable price. Right next to the beach with a nice pool that's perfect for families. A bit cheesy of a New Year's party, but festive atmosphere. Overall we had an enjoyable stay and would recommend it not during holidays.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheVeggieVoyagers
We know, that there are many choices on where one spends the New Year's celebration and I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us over this special period.
I am glad to read that you had an overall good experience during this period and that we managed to leave you with a positive overall impression.

We had generally very good comments about our New Year's Eve Gala event and I would be interested to get more feedback from your end based on your comment in order to possibly improve further for the future. I would appreciate if you could contact me at my email at: Knuth.Kiefer@moevenpick.com for this reason.

Cebu Island, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

Had dinner at Ibiza last week with our team for our Christmas celebration . The food and service were really great. The waitress and the chef were always smiling. She even suggested what dessert should I get - swiss chocolate and I loved it!

On the other hand, I wish they could have extended the time limit for the unlimited wine :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
I am happy to read that you had such a positive experience at our Ibiza Beach Club and that you enjoyed the dinner and the service provided.

We do hope that you are planning another visit again soon.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on this website

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 87 in Cebu City
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,038 reviews

Been to Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!