“New Year's Eve getaway”

Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed here for a few nights through New Year's and the place was fully booked. Earnest and smiling staff who weren't particularly efficient (it took us about 30 minutes to receive our luggage in the room after check-in and two calls to the front desk) but that could've been because of the crowds. Breakfast buffet had a pretty good spread, but lacking vegetarian and custom-made options for lunch and dinner. Reasonable prices for food. Great massage and spa and also for a reasonable price. Right next to the beach with a nice pool that's perfect for families. A bit cheesy of a New Year's party, but festive atmosphere. Overall we had an enjoyable stay and would recommend it not during holidays.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheVeggieVoyagers
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

We know, that there are many choices on where one spends the New Year's celebration and I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us over this special period.
I am glad to read that you had an overall good experience during this period and that we managed to leave you with a positive overall impression.

We had generally very good comments about our New Year's Eve Gala event and I would be interested to get more feedback from your end based on your comment in order to possibly improve further for the future. I would appreciate if you could contact me at my email at: Knuth.Kiefer@moevenpick.com for this reason.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Had dinner at Ibiza last week with our team for our Christmas celebration . The food and service were really great. The waitress and the chef were always smiling. She even suggested what dessert should I get - swiss chocolate and I loved it!

On the other hand, I wish they could have extended the time limit for the unlimited wine :)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

I am happy to read that you had such a positive experience at our Ibiza Beach Club and that you enjoyed the dinner and the service provided.

We do hope that you are planning another visit again soon.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on this website

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Arriving in Cebu for the 1st time after a weary flight, I'm glad that I chose moevenpick to un-wind!. Being met by a fresh looking airport rep named Florence and driver joel was such a relief!...I guess they saw how tired I was with an infant, the whole process of being met and taken cared of really helped. The check in was done in a jiffy....the room overlooking the beach was such a nice get away...the bed was huge and the pillows were soooooo fluffy....the housekeeping person alfred arranged a nice crib for my baby plus to my surprise, he creatively arranged a turtle and an elephant out of towels!..I took pictures of it as it was the first time I saw such creativity plus being thoughtful..the bathroom toilletries were luxuriously chosen, and so was the next set which was a Japanese brand...equally good!....the food regardless if you ordered it from the forum, room service or sails were in large portions and the prices reasonable. The Lobby which overlooked the pool area and the beach was another added relaxation for me....the bartender there named Bangs knew her stuff very well, being a coffee junkie I asked for her advise what to have, she whipped up a nice and rich iced coffee with Swiss espresso and vanilla ice cream on top was a glazed caramel brittle, it was really yummy!...I love the breakfast at the sails...chef loey was sooo personal ...realizing it was my first time she showed us around the breakfast Buffett which is an assortment of Asian and western cuisines plus she made sure that she whips up a native chocolate drink which was presented in a clay pot and some native Cebu longganiza and fried rice!...and the spa....the interior was really made for real relaxation...seeing that the prices were reasonable and surprisingly not steep...I went for 3 treatments...I was met at the reception and was taken to my private room which had an exterior bathtub and petals all around it....it was the cleopatra bath... The milk temperature and the water pressure was soothing...the facial treatment was relaxing and really softened my burned face....and the last one was the best one... A foot massage treatment which jezza used small wooden sticks to entwine each tired toes with it!...I still actually wanted to extend but the bookings were back to back...and I'm not surprised at all !...on my last evening...I went to Ibiza out of curiosity and really had a fun time, they have a huge selection of wines and cocktails....the tapas are equally good...the next day...I ordered my breakfast via room service and had coffee by my veranda overlooking the nice sunrise ...with a heavy heart I had to check out soon.....the check out was efficiently done by a gentleman named maverick..and we were whisked to the airport by a driver- porter named Simmons...I was amazed when Simmons endorsed us to the porter and he made sure that we're inside the airport before he took off!.... Such caring staff....I wish I could thank them enough....hopefully I will see them soon for another get away!....thank you!...

Room Tip: High floor and overlooking the beach. The way the rooms were decorated made them really look spaciou...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Victoria M

The entire team here at the Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu is very happy receiving customer feedback such as yours. Your experience and observations indicate that our efforts in providing our guests with an excellent experience.
I would like to thank you that you pointed out so many employees in your review, which is always a great motivation for the individual team members mentioned.
We do hope to welcome you back again soon to our hotel and please feel free to contact me at any time directly if I can be of assistance for a future booking.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

stay from Dec 26-29. Notice of big difference (physical side ) , gone are the pink color building and jeepney , entrance to the resort is enchanced , the pool is much bigger with new concept , and total renovation of Manny o which is now call Ibiza ( which we love it ).
now the negative side , service need more improvement.

1. check in no problem, I just want to be sure , I ask the receptionist if my room include 2 breakfast , which I book and prepaid together with my room , she said yes. but on the following day , when I went to sails to have my breakfast, the lady in the door ask for my room which I
gave her my room no. , she look up to the list and can't find my room and told me that my room package doesn't include breakfast. I was surprise , and have to go back to the reception area and have a somewhat long discussion , which later they found out my prepaid breakfast fall into other category.

2, service
dec 26 , our family decided to have an ice cream at Ibiza during the evening , we place our order I think around 8:15 pm and after several follow up and my last follow up , i told the waiter he they can't produce our order , we will be cancell it out , since the kids are getting sleepy, only then we got our order pass or near 9:00 pm. and when I got mine , the ice cream is already soft and it start melting,( I think my order is already ready before they serve it to me ).

3. shuttle service
i book complimentary shuttle service a day ahead for 4 pax thru the concierge, we went to the lobby 15 minutes before the time and report our present to the concierge , which he noted in the list. when the time come for us to board , they inform us the regular shuttle is down due to the a/c belt problem and will be using a smaller van, which force 2 families ( 8 passenger ) to be left behind. it took almost 30 minutes before alternate tranpo is provided to us. which during that time , the other family ( Korean ) , I think the father is getting anger and pointing his finger at one the lady staff, complaining aloud that they are wasting their time. Movenpick should have a immediate back up plan, which I believe they didn t implement immediately

4. beach towel

during the my 3 nite stay, their is always a severe shortage of beach towel, which is usually happen during the afternoon, when I ask for beach towel from the life guards or pool staff, they always tell me it's still in the laundry area, and they will just bring it to me once they receive the fresh towel. and also in the beach area their is no towel station , you need to go to the pool area to get one. just a short walk .

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

I appreciate the constructive feedback you have provided in your recent review and I thank you for pointing out a number of problems, which we clearly need to address in our operation.
We are constantly striving to improve our services further and your experiences have shown that there is still work to be done in this regard.
On a positive side, I am happy to read that you like the look of our hotel after the renovation and I do hope that despite the various negatives, you will give us another try on a future visit.

General manager

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Stayed there last November. Moevenpick was not part of our itinerary as we were supposed to stay in Bantayan Island but couldn't due to the recent typhoon. I was very glad we stayed there though. The place was perfect! More than what we have expected. The staff were really nice, helpful and approachable. The resort was huge but you won't have a hard time locating a staff as they will always be there to assist you. They're always smiling :)

The room we got was not facing the beach but it didn't matter. We could still see it and we didn't plan to waste a day staying in the room anyway. The bathroom isn't my fave amongst all the hotels i've stayed at in the past but at least everything was functioning well.

My fave part of the hotel was the Ibiza Beach Club. The place was such a prefect treat for a couple on a holiday. Loved the setting, the music, the food, people and everything about it. There was a cultural show when we were there and it was very entertaining.

You would appreciate the whole resort even more come breakfast time. They basically have everything and even more than what you expect. Lots of variety!

Thinking of sending my parents to that place next year. It would be a lovely treat for them! :-)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BucketLister101
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

I thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We understand that as a customer, you have several choices of hotels, and I appreciate your trust in us by selecting our hotel.
I am happy to read that you had an overall great stay here and I am glad you enjoyed our unique Ibiza Beach club in particular.
We do hope to see you back here again in the not too distant future

Reviewed December 28, 2013

This place was so great. The restaurants were excellent, the staff was incredibly friendly. I LOVED the Brazilian BBQ. Literally one of the best meals I have ever had in my life. the entertainment was also great.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

We are thrilled to read you positive review, especially that you consider our Churrasco at the Ibiza Beach Club one of the best meals you ever had. We are proud of the quality of food and entertainment we provide to our guests and we appreciate you mentioning this in your review.

We hope to see you back here in the near future.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We were on our Rest & Relaxation holidays which are once a year and this year was Cebu & Boracay. We were to spend 5 nights in Cebu in Mactan Island and our first stop was Movenpick. My wife was very excited about this trip especially after staying at Movenpick Hanoi which is amazing. We were expecting the same here. But what we got was completely opposite. The lobby and room design is tacky. We had to wait for 45 minutes at the lobby even though we arrived at 4 pm. The reception people had no courtesy, manners. May be they do not welcome Asians in Movenpick Cebu. We experienced similar experience at their restaurant as well.However, housekeeping team was excellent. Overall, never again Movenpick.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Parmar S
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

I appreciate you bringing your disappointment to our attention and I would like to sincerely apologize for the problem you apparently encountered during your check-in. I would appreciate if you could personally contact me at my email (Knuth.Kiefer@moevenpick.com) for further details on this.
I agree with you that our hotel is very different from our property in Hanoi, which is a city center, boutique style hotel, vs, our very modern beach front property.
I look forward to hearing from you and again, my apology for not meeting your expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#1 of 91 in Cebu City
BE Resort, Mactan
BE Resort, Mactan
#12 of 32 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!