“Nice stay - Friendly service”

Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Hong Kong, China
“Nice stay - Friendly service”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stayed in suite room on the 19th floor was good quality with all fittings and clean spotless, with two small balconies and sea view. Modern bathroom with jacuzzi. Free wifi.

Overall service was very friendly and welcoming.

Would also recommend the Ibiza beach club restaurant where we had a nice buffet. Also ordered pizza few times on the beach over lunch and this was really nice thin crust style. Generally room service & beach food was fresh and good quality ingredients, would say that in comparison much better than similar meals we have tested in Shangri-La.

If you use the Hotel's SPA treatments, be prepared to hear some noise from the Ibiza Beach Club in the evenings.

Breakfast was good - Only thing noticed that the standard breakfast coffee tasted watery, like instant coffee. But when ordered double espressos, cappuccinos, etc - these were excellent. So if coffee is important then perhaps specify what kind of coffee you like. Great freshly squeezed juice too and good selection of both continental & asian style brkfst items.

Hotel also have fairly large and modern gym.

Beach itself is clean but in comparison it is much smaller than Shangri-La (which is hard to beat anyway).

Even if you are not staying in this hotel, would suggest to try their Ibiza Club for happy hour and dinner buffet!

Room Tip: ask for high room with direct sea view (for lower level rooms, street/nearby residential noise is mo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HANVEST
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Despite the average rating, I am happy that your comments are generally all positive, which leads me to believe that you had an enjoyable stay with us.
I have taken note about your comment on the coffee in the morning and we are currently looking for a better option for this. I appreciate you pointing this out to us.
I thank you as well for pointing out the quality of our food and our unique Ibiza Beach Club.
I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Knuth Kiefer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Panvel, India
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I recently stayed for 2 nights here for my business trip to Cebu. No doubt, it is one of the best hotel I have stayed. I was bit worried as I was visiting immidiately after super typhoon but found that there was no signs of it here. The staff is very friendly & always ready to help you. My room was on 11th floor & I was able to view the hotels private beach from my room balcony. The room was very specious & having all necessery amminities.
The beach is very clean & they do also offer sporting activity here. The food was okay. The spa in the hotel is good but I found it bit expensive.
Overall goo experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your time here at the hotel.
As you outlined, we were fortunate that the recent super typhoon has caused very little damage in the area of Cebu in general and the hotel operation was not affected.

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Movenpick Resort is the best resort we’ve checked in to so far in Cebu. The aesthetics of the resort are absolutely fantastic! Predominantly white with pops of colors that were a refreshing sight – it felt like we were in another country (perhaps Ibiza or Bali or Greece). The staff provide truly world-class service: we booked ourselves a 2-Bedroom Deluxe Suite and upon arrival in the room, we were surprised to see birthday cupcakes already on the table (it was my birthday)! We had a 6-month old baby with us and they provided him with a Nemo squeaky bath toy, lollies and beach pail and shovels for playing. Their rooms have see-through shower rooms but the staff had already thoughtfully placed a white bathroom sheet over the glass door. The rooms themselves are tastefully decorated; relaxing dim lighting, well-curated modern artworks on the walls and really really really comfortable beds with two pillow for each of us. The master toilet had a huge bath tub and their free toiletries for guest use is by Chopard (fancy schmancy!).

Each room, the master, 2nd bedroom and living room all had flat-screen (LED) TVs, there were iPod docks for music, they provided adaptors for most of the sockets. We had two balconies: one in the living room and the other, in the master bedroom with a cozy table for two – both were really good for chilling out with a beer or wine in hand while looking at the views. The separate living + dining room overlooked Mactan Island and offered 180-degree views of the ocean and its surroundings – we were billeted on the 18th floor, corner suite (1810), so the views were just beautiful! You can see the edge of Mactan Island and white boats lazily bobbing on or plying the ocean. At night, you can see Ibiza Club and the pool chairs all lit up in fancy colors. :) To fully enjoy our room, we had breakfast via their in-room dining and even though the prices are typical resort ones, we all thought that, with the quality of the food, the bill was totally worth it (we ordered beef salpicao and organic chicken adobo for 5 pax). Wifi connection was also fantastic - from anywhere in the resort area!

The amenities in the resort are truly world-class as well – very luxurious! The pool was decked out with white glow-in-the-dark chairs: they were in the middle of the separate wading pool so it’s good to have when you’ve got toddlers or babies wanting to splash in the pool – no need to worry with them (or you) accidentally stepping into the deeper end of the pool (my nephew thoroughly enjoyed the pool). They provide separate pool and beach towels so no need to lug around your wet towel from one point to the other - they also have lifeguards on duty all day, so that's a big plus. The beachfront itself is also beautiful – again, laid out with white deck chairs & umbrellas overlooking a cordoned-off swimming / snorkeling area. The sand is golden and fine – swept to absolute perfection by their staff (no errant twigs or trash here). And yes, even though the beach is just a limited section, I think it’s one of those resorts where you wouldn’t mind that it’s not a 7KM stretch of sand – the view of the Ibiza bar and the clear waters is enough to make your stay here blissful. The beach area here is not bad at all for a city beach, just 15 minutes away from the airport, too.

The Ibiza Club is their pièce de résistance, in my POV. It made me reminisce my stay in the island of Ibiza – some of the most beautiful resorts there look exactly like Movenpick! The club is open only on evenings but during the day, you can still explore it and can hang out in the netted wooden booms that dangle from the side of the club, just above the water. The club also provides a very picturesque vantage point of the entire resort.

Overall service was a two-thumbs up (10/10 rating!). There was a bit of a hiccup during check in: when we approached, there were 5 staff members there but we had to wait since the (only?) one who could only check us in was with another guest. Anyway, it was ironed out and it was smooth sailing from thereon, so we could totally overlook that detail. My only regret is that we didn’t get to avail of their spa services – just the spa entrance itself looked divine! Maybe next time. :)

Many friends have asked me which is better: Movenpick or Shangrila? I would choose Movenpick! Shangrila has its own merits and has that old-world luxurious charm, whilst Movenpick is more modern & vibrant; we all felt like we were not in Cebu and were in Europe instead (think Ibiza or Greece)! :)

Room Tip: We stayed at room 1810: a 2-bedroom deluxe suite which is the most luxurious right after the Preside...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
It makes all of us here at the Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu extremely happy, reading such a positive and detailed write-up about our hotel here. We are very pleased that we left you with such positive memories and experiences that resulted in this high rating.
Coming form a guest who has travelled to many destinations in the past, this validates our efforts even more.
Rest assured that I will share your review with the entire team here at the hotel and we do hope to have an opportunity to welcoming you back again very soon.

Thanks again for choosing Moevenpick.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Mövenpick for 4days with friends.

I was bit worried to visit Cebu because of super typhoon Haiyan but it was ok.

Breakfast was great especially lots of bread selections and freshly squeezed orange juice. Staff was very friendly and helpful to provide extra for my friend who needs special attention.

Beach and swimming pool are not too big but managed very well.

Room is spacious enough and comfy. Loved the view from the balcony.

Overall I will definitely go back for my next holiday!!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
We are glad to read that you loved your experience in our hotel. I am happy that you rate your stay so high and that you found our services and facilities up to your expectations.
As you mentioned, the recent super typhoon that struck the Philippines has done only very little damage in the area of Cebu and we were fortunate that our hotel operation was not affected by it.

We look forward to your next visit

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We stayed here on the way back from a diving trip to the south. We had stayed at the nearby Shangri-La on this trip as well, for a similar price. The Movenpick has very friendly and helpful staff and that improved our stay, which was otherwise disappointing and poor value, especially in comparison.

When we arrived, the water for the tub/shower was only lukewarm - too cold to give our daughter a bath. Someone came to look at and provided us with an explanation hat made no sense but said it would be fixed in a few hours. At this price, hot water is a pretty basic requirement, but we were too tired to go elsewhere. We went downstairs for dinner at the outdoor restaurant but ended up getting it to-go back to our room as the music was deafening. Even from the room we could hear the loud music. We had trouble with the light switches and ended up unscrewing bulb to turn some of the lights off. The plugs in these rooms are not well designed. The breakfast buddet was good but over-priced and the pool (while really nice) was too small with too few chairs for a hotel this size. Overall not what I'd expected based on other Movenpick hotels.

For the same or slightly more money, stay at the Shangri-La.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jctokyo
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
We always aim to provide our guests with a positive experience and to meet their expectations. I am very sorry to read that we have not succeeded in this during your visit.
Our Ibiza Beach club does feature live music, DJ performances and dinner shows each day, which is a unique and generally very appreciated feature of our hotel. I do understand that on this occasion the music may have been a bit too loud for your enjoyment and we will look into this. We do have other dinner venue available though where we serve dinner in a more quiet environment.
My apology for the problem you encountered with the hot water as well. This was due to a technical problem which we have fixed in the meantime.
Again, my apology for the various points you mentioned that did not meet your expectations. I would be thrilled if you would give us another chance on a future visit and would like to invite you to contact me personally at : Knuth.Kiefer@moevenpick.com if I can be of any assistance

Makati, Philippines
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Regretfully Moevenpick, where I spent 3 days with my fiancée, could not match our expectations.
The service was friendly and the owners really made an effort to renovate the building and to update the rooms but the ambience is simply difficult to deal with. The hotel was crowded of student-trip groups, all-included kind of tourists and families who fought to access the micro beach in front of the hotel.
The food was as well mediocre and we had to avoid the schedules of the aforementioned groups of guests. Finally, we decided to use the hotel only to sleep and seek asylum in the neighbour-hotels.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Francisco R M
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Let me start by apologizing for not having met your expectations on your recent trip to Cebu. We generally do not cater to large tourist groups and therefore the timing of your stay was very unfortunate as we were hosting an educational tour which may have caused some congestion during certain times of the day. Needless to say, this is of no concern to you and it had a negative impact on your overall experience.
I would like to invite you to personally contact me at: Knuth.Kiefer@moevenpick.com

Manila, Manila, Philippines
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Trip there was a present for our parents a day after our wedding in Radisson and to celebrate my Birthday.

We were there a day after the super typhoon Haiyan, they were able to clean up and set-up well.

Ambiance:
Relaxing and inviting. Its a breath of fresh air.

Room:
Booked 2 Br suites for our parents. They loved it! Very spacious! You would want to live there. Layout is perfect. Sofa is comfortable. Beds are very inviting. Our parents were are senior citizen. They were able to relax

Service:
Would have rates them 5/5 except that the flowers ordered by my husband for me was not delivered on time.

• Stayed November 2013
I am very happy to read that your second stay with us was much more pleasant. I appreciate you writing a second review based on your latest experience and I am happy that it turned out to be positive.

I do have to apologize though that there was a delay in the delivery of your flowers due to a problem we had with our flower delivery. This should have been handled better from our end and we will take this as an opportunity to improve further.

We do hope we can welcome you back again for another visit soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#12 of 31 in Lapu Lapu
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 91 in Cebu City

Been to Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!