“Very good place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Dalian, China
“Very good place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

We really like this hotel and the service staff here.
It is very kl\\cleen and new place and the food also very delicious. We enjoy all the activities like free yoga in the morning. we never try before and it was vert\y tired but fun to do.
Also breakfast and internet very good in this hotel and we will travel here again in the future if we have vacation

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
We are happy to read that you enjoyed our activities which we provide free of charge for our hotel guests. I am also happy that you found the breakfast and internet connection we provide of good quality.
as you indicated that you are planning to return to us in the future, please feel free to contact me personally so I can handle your booking requirements.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience here with other travelers.

Knuth Kiefer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Lioni, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

a real good choice when staying in Cebu I have to say. We arrived with medium expectations and were absolutely thrilled with our stay. The staff is professional and friendly and they all seem to enjoy their wwork. they recently went through the experience of an earthquake we learned and there was a typhoon developing in the area as well but all seemed to bne positive and only had the best for the guests in mind. A real refreshing attitude which some other countries could learn from.
We enjoyed the food and restaurants and I particularly liked the small marine sanctuary a bit off the beach as it was so convenient for snorkeling as there were tons of fish to be spotted.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I thank you for your positive words and the high rating you have given us.
As you outlined, we had to go through a number of natural disasters recently including the earthquake in Bohol and the Super Typhoon a few days back. I am happy that our efforts in training our employees has resulted in those situations being handled calmly and professionally by the entire team here.
I also appreciate you pointing out our marine sanctuary which is conveniently located just off our beach.
I do hope we have an opportunity to visit us again soon

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Upon checking reviews on Trip Advisor I chose Moevenpick and discovered that it exceeded any expectations on I had of the hotel. From the moment of arrival to departure one is made to feel most welcome and "at home' by the very obliging and courteous staff.
The entrance lobby; its view, décor and ambience is second to none when one is wanting a relaxing break as one gets the holiday feeling immediately upon arrival.
The room was vey comfortable. The variety of restaurants served an excellent variety of food in more than ample proportions. The offered package for the Executive lounge enhanced the break.
The pool is of unique design, not to forget the Ibiza Club.
Indeed I discovered a "treasure".

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am delighted to read your positive review and we are certainly glad to learn that we have exceeded your expectations. It is always nice to receive positive feedback like yours and we do hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

I thought the Movenpick was great. The pool area is lovely with plenty of comfy beds (I fell asleep!! So make sure you have the sun tan lotion on). There are also plenty of beds down on the grass and towards the beach.

The hotel has a cool vibe to it and it's really nice to sit outside at the bar in the evening, listening to the DJ. The food was fairly good and the service quick.

The rooms are modern and fresh. the bed is comfy and the bathroom well stocked.

There is a shuttle service into the city stopping off at the malls which was a good way to get into the city to explore some of the sites.

We paid the extra to have lounge access which was good and allowed us to have a few drinks in the evening before going to dinner. I wouldn't recommend having breakfast in the lounge though and instead would suggest going downstairs as there are far more choices. I'm sure the staff would get you whatever you want but I felt it was easier to go to the lobby and have everything available there.

All in all a great place to stay at a reasonable price.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience in our hotel on this website.
We are happy to read that you had such an enjoyable time with us and that you appreciated the facilities and services at our uniquely "lifestyle" focused hotel.

I agree with your statement that the food selection in our main restaurant exceeds the one provided in our Executive Club. Many guests however enjoy the exclusivity of our Executive Club Lounge, and as you correctly pointed out, our staff is happy to provide them the food of their choice in the Lounge as well upon request.

We do hope to welcome you back again very soon and please let us know if we can be of any assistance with a future booking.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

We stayed here the weekend after the earthquake, not that you'd really have known there had been one. There was a little bit of damage to the facade in the lobby but certainly nothing major and it didn't appear to have had any impact otherwise. We had called up a couple of days in advance to confirm that everything was ok and they were still telling visitors to come, I did think the hotel could have been more pro-active in sending out emails to people who had bookings although we booked through Kayak so maybe they did and Kayak didn't pass it on.

In any case the hotel is quite nice, I'd give it a solid 4 star rating. The star are very friendly, always smiling and helpful. In particular the american guy at the swim/dive centre near the beach was quite good.

The food in the restaurants was ok, overpriced for what it is I thought but probably comparable to most other resorts to be honest. I wouldn't say it was outstanding quality but we certainly didn't have any issues with it. We went to the Ibiza beach club for drinks one evening where they have a 2 for 1 deal on drinks, however the second drink has to be exactly the same. I'm guessing this is fine for a lot of people but we were having cocktails and trying to mix it up a bit, so when we got told each drink had to be exactly the same instead of being able to have a different one (all the cocktails are exactly the same price) it was a bit of a surprise and seemed a bit petty. I could understand if the drinks had been different prices but they weren't, it just seems like a bit of a trap. Having said that the drinks were quite nice and even at normal prices of about $8 a cocktail it's good value, at the 2 for 1 deal it's great.

The rooms themselves were nice enough, we got upgraded to a suite (presumably because a lot of people cancelled due to the earthquake) which had a lovely view of the beach. There were a few minor issues with some power points not working and the lighting being inadequate right next to the hotel safe but otherwise no real issues there. One annoyance here was that when we asked the receptionist if it was safe to drink the tap water she said no but there was bottled water provided. Yes, two small 250 ml bottles of it, and after that you had to buy it. I'm sorry but if you're staying in a resort hotel and you can't drink the water without paying for it then that's pretty poor. There should be big bottles of water in the room and somewhere on each floor that has additional bottles for free.

All up, I think that the hotel is good but not great. The staff are definitely very friendly and helpful, the resort looks great and has a decent number of amenities, but they're dragged down by petty policies on the drinks and not having free bottled water given you can't drink the tap water. There's certainly nothing wrong with it but if I was to go back to Cebu I'd be tempted to give another resort a chance.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Let me start by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay in Cebu. We fully understand that there are various choices of hotels you can select from and we appreciating your trust in us.
Wee did in fact send out advisories to our business partners after the earthquake, telling them that we have not suffered any structural damage to the building and all activities and services are ongoing. This may have not reached you though, which I would like to apologize for.

As for your comment in regards to the happy hour. It is in face common practice on a "buy one get one free" happy hour that the exact same drink that was served originally would be served as the free drink. Receiving your comment though I have to agree with you that for a guest this really makes no sense. There are actually reasons for this policy in regards to internal processes, but sometimes one gets caught up in internal processes, forgetting the impact on the guest experience.
This being said, I have lifted this policy with immediate effect and guests will have a choice on their second drink. I am glad to receive feedback such as yours as it gives us an opportunity to re-evaluate our services and make adjustments where possible.

While I understand from your feedback that we have not necessarily impressed us on your fist visit, I do hope you give us another try on a future visit to Cebu.

Thanks again

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Family of five had a great time chilling at this wonderful hotel. Beach is small as in very small, but if you are after a relax spot in the sun this is a good option. No long walks on the beach, it must be only 50m long, but plenty of sun lounges and sun.

Draw back is price of food, others have mentioned andveyvare correct, well overpriced.

Overall a great time.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the ocean. Family room two bedroom and we put in one rollaway , plenty of space
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I thank you for the positive rating of our hotel and the experience you had with us. I have taken note of your comments on our food prices. While those prices are in line with all other hotels of our category, we will certainly look into this again. However, the selection of our raw food products and quality of ingredients do come with a certain price that, I understand is higher than in some free standing restaurants outside.

Again, thank you very much for staying with us

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I were at Moevenpick Resort & Spa at Cebu during last week's 7.2 magnitude earthquake and I have to write Moevenpick a review for the excellent service they provided. Within 30 mins after evacuation, they were making rounds and were handing out bottled water to all their guests. Not too long after, they were making second and third rounds. We had been outside for at least 2 hours before being able to go back inside to the lobby and they really took care of their guests. Even though we were not allowed to be back up to our rooms, they got one of their staff to go up with one of us to pack up our belongings as our flight out was later that afternoon and we needed to check out of the resort. They would not even allow both of us to go up, which says how much they care about our safety. The earthquake hit at 8:12am and at around 10ish, they started serving pastries and juice/water in the lobby. Then at noon, they served us free lunch as well, and it wasn't even a simple meal! There were rice, meat dishes, veggie dishes, pancakes, cakes, and fruits! I was very impressed. When we needed a taxi to head to the airport, they had gotten us one very quickly. At a stressful time for international guests who don't experience earthquakes a lot (or ever), they did a good job in taking care of us so we were more at ease.

Now, onto the basics...

Room:
- Spacious and very clean
- Bed was comfortable but pillows were a bit too flat to my liking
- Complimentary bottled water x2
- Mini bar snacks and drinks with a bottle of red wine
- Bathrobe x1
- Slippers x2
- Blow dryer
- Complimentary dried mangoes or fresh fruit platter in the evening
- They replace your towels with fresh ones again everyday at 5pm

Beach/Pool:
- Beach is really small and has maybe 10 lounge chairs
- Man made sand is alright but has many pebbles in areas
- Pool is nice and has also around 12 lounge chairs or so
- There are also many lounge chairs behind the pool on grass

Activities:
They had a wide variety of activity packages you can join and gears for you to rent from the resort. There is a counter in the lobby with booklets of activities one can do. One of the days we had joined an island hopping/snorkeling tour for PHP $5000/2 people. It was a 3-4 hour trip (so it says on the pamphlet) but our trip turned out to be 5-6 hours. They don't rush you and it's a private tour so the time varies depending on how long you stay at the island. The snorkeling on the tour was not fun at all. During the day the ocean had really low tide, and by really low I mean in the middle of the ocean you can stand up and water comes up only to your shins. Having said that, you can imagine what snorkeling is like! One can stand in the middle of the marine sanctuary. I don't know but in the past they always tell us not to touch or step on anything while snorkeling. Here, they told us to wear shoes/flip flops because when you stand, rocks will prick. This pretty much means all the marine life has no chance of surviving except the fish. After snorkeling they took us to have lunch but it was not included in the package. We had to fork out an additional PHP$600 each for a bbq lunch. After lunch we walked around on the beach for a little while but because by 2pm, it was no longer low tide so the beach slowly disappeared beneath the waters. We couldn't stay long anyway because all boats need to leave the island by 4pm so it got very isolated by the time we were done eating. Another pain is that because of the low tide, you can see the island right in front of you but cannot get there for another hour or 2 because you need to take a big detour around the island to get to the destination. I guess this is a big contributor to why instead of a 3-4 hour tour it became 6.

Aside from island hopping, you can rent gears such as jet skis. We had wanted to do this on our last morning but because of the earthquake we didn't have the opportunity to try. When we asked, they told us they will walk us through the basics and then we were on our own. 2 people on one jet ski. They also had the plastic ball kids roll around inside for rent as well.

Food:
Breakfast was not included in our room price so I cannot comment on the buffet food. Breakfast add-on is PHP$1200 per day per person, which is a bit costly I find. There was also a promo for PHP$1500 per day that includes buffet breakfast, afternoon tea pastries with unlimited tea/coffee/non alcoholic drinks, and unlimited alcoholic beverages from 5pm in a VIP lounge which would be a deal if we were staying at the resort for an entire day. We had a few meals at the resort and the food was not bad, but of course not cheap! A sandwich can cost $400-500 which is expensive for asian standards.

Tip: Next door to the resort there is an Italian restaurant and another restaurant called Fat Lobster (next to Tree Shade Spa). Prices aren't really cheap but I think they are a better deal than eating inside the resort. The italian restaurant was very tasty and pastas are only avg $350 a dish. It is only a few mins walk from the resort.

Spa:
We had also enquired about spa treatments but it was also very costly (no surprise). I cannot remember the exact amount but it was somewhere around PHP$3000 for a massage.

Tip: there is a spa right next door to the resort called Tree Shade Spa. Prices there are very reasonable, around $600-$900 for a massage.

The resort offers free shuttle to the city (Ayala mall and SM mall). The ride takes around 45 mins to SM and 1.5 hrs total to Ayala. The only complain I have is the last shuttle leaves the resort at 16:30 (17:30 pick up at SM and I guess 18:00 at Ayala), which is very early. I see other resorts provide free pickups at SM as late as 8pm. It will be nice if they can extend the hours.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
I thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review about your experience during your recent stay in our hotel.
I am also glad to read that you appreciated the professional responds and actions taken by the team here during the recent earthquake. Situations like this confirm that our constant training for emergency situations do pay off and are vital to ensure our guest's safety and confidence in our handling of such cases.

I have also taken note about your comment on your Island hoping experience. While this activity is not managed by the hotel itself, but rather by an outside company, it is very important to us that the quality of service provided by our partners is in line with the expectations of our guests, and I will discuss this with them in detail.

Thank you very much again for your review. Comments like yours help us to further improve and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 86 in Cebu City
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,723 reviews

Been to Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!