“Clean and simple layout”

Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Tamuning, Mariana Islands
“Clean and simple layout”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed here in September for 4 days after checking out of nearby Shangri-la. Facility felt a bit old but was clean overall. Restaurant which is a churassco (Brazilian style barbeque) is beachside which is nice. My room was at least clean but some of the power outlets did not work and the bathroom shower door did not close properly. Hotel car is relatively cheap at PHP 500 and convenient as there is a wait at times for a taxi. The hotel is at the end of the road past Shangri-la and about 15-20 minutes from airport and Cebu City. There are some restaurants right outside main entrance but I did not get a chance to visit them. You will need to rent a car (not recommended if you have never driven a car in the P.I.) or take a taxi to get anywhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Cable_Guy671
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
I would like to apologize that some of the experiences you had at our hotel, like the malfunctioning power outlet, had a negative impact on your overall stay. We will be working on improving in those areas accordingly.
I was a bit surprised about your comment that the hotel felt "a bit old" as we have just undergone a major renovation recently and most guests commend us on the fresh and modern new look.

I am glad that you had a good experience at our Ibiza Beach Club and enjoyed our Churrasco dining.

Despite some of the areas where we fell short of your expectation, I do hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Knuth Kiefer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

I used to stay quite often in this hotel when it was still called Hilton towers. This is the first time i have stayed in this place since its makeover and I must say it is impressive. The lobby is so much better and the entire feel of the place is light and fun and relaxing. The rooms have always been excellent and this has not changed thankfully. We got a 2 bedroom suite in the resort club side and it was very spacious and well designed. The bathroom is clean and there is a jacuzzi inside. The tv could use an upgrade but it's not a deal breaker. The pool area is beautiful, and they made an effort to leave warm fresh towels poolside. I wish the pool was heated for when it gets cold at night. The beach is very small and there's not much of a view but I like that that it's not crowded and it is perfect for lounging under the sun. They also have staff walking around the beach area who are very attentive to your needs. The IBiza is the redesigned restaurant (I think it was manny o's before) at the end of the dock. It's gorgeous with an all white seating, and nice lighting at night. They have a happy hour from 5-630 with buy 1 get the other drink free and I must say, the value is excellent for a Hotel bar. There's a dj and live performance at dinner time. the meal menu offering is limited but they have good sized tapas. All in all, I was pleasantly surprised and I had a truly enjoyable experience at movenpick.

• Stayed October 2013
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
I am happy to read your positive remarks about our hotel and appreciate you sharing this on this platform.
considering that you have stayed at this hotel prior our transformation and rebranding, your comments reflect the vast changes we have made to the hotel.
I do hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Thanks again

general Manager
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I recommend this hotel to any fellow traveller to Cebu based on the outstanding service I received. The place seems new or newly renovated and the facilities are 5 star. The steam room was disappointing as it looked a bit like an afterthought but the Spa, pool, beach and the beach entertainment restaurant were all fantastic.
Special mention should be awarded to the great professional and friendly staff.

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you very much for your high marks and for pointing out the service levels you experienced during your recent stay with us.
I have taken note of your comment on the steam rooms and we are currently working on upgrading this area to better fit with the overall new look of our hotel.

Again, thank you very much for your positive words.

Shanghai Region, China
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The Movenpick in Cebu was a really nice place. It was recently renovated, and has beautiful amenities such as the pool, bar, spa, night club, beach area (small), lounge chairs, and work out room. Outside of the hotel, not much is going on. There are just a bunch of resorts on a street full of tuk-tuks, cabs, and motorbikes. My husband and I walked over to the Shangri-La resort, and we were glad we were not staying there as it was a kid haven!! The Movenpick was much quieter. The prices for beer and food was a bit higher than expected for the Philippines (we had just come from Boracay), but cheaper than the US and expected in a resort ($3.00 for a beer, $7.00 for a glass of wine). Not sure where people were eating, but the restaurant seemed dead most nights. We had room service.

Cab from airport was about 210-250 pesos ($5-6 USD).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
I am thankful for the positive review you have shred here about our hotel and I am glad you had an enjoyable time.
I have taken note of your comments about our prices in our restaurant, which are however in line with all other hotel in the market and reflect the general pricing in hotels of our standard. I believe though that we are offering very good value for the prices we charge as they are generally lower than in other countries with similar offers?

I do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back again soon

San Jose, California
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We originally had a hotel booked in the city that turned out to be not what we were looking for, so we moved to this hotel on recommendation of a friend. Great choice I have to say. It did cost us a bit more than the city hotel but as we only stayed two nights it wasn't a problem and we really enjoyed it.
Staff was friendly, food was great, entertainment was fun and the rooms were clean.
We had excursions booked prior to moving to this hotel so we could not use the beach but it looked very clean and inviting.
Internet was free and adequately fast. Good TV program selectio and good entertainment program during the day for guests, especially for the kids (which we kept at home on this trip though)
If ever we will be back to Cebu (no plans so far), we surely will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
I am happy to read that we were able to leave you with such a positive experience.
It is a pity that you did not get to enjoy our private beach during your short stay with us due to your schedule but we do hope that we will be able to welcome you back again soon so you can enjoy the rest of our facilities.

Thank you again for taking the time to write about your experience with us

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 1, 2013

The first feeling I experienced on arrival at this hotel, was the beachy, relaxed feel to the place.
The welcome at check in was nice, cold drink and cold towel were a nice touch, and the receptionist was efficient and friendly.
The rooms are nicely appointed, nice colour pallette, but they are small, not small as in HK small, but still smaller than many others in Philippines. They do offer all the things you will need, all have views, and it was clean. Separate bath and shower in the bathroom.
The pool is small, and is in the middle of the traffic flow to the other places in the resort, like the beach or Ibiza.
The beach area is nice, small, but clean and the well maintained.
The breakfast buffet is not the most extensive I have seen, and on one morning there was a very long wait for bacon. Try to get a room booking that includes breakfast, as its not a cheap breakfast, and this surprised me. Breakfast price was more in keeping with cost of breakfast at an Australian hotel.
There is buffet or a la carte for lunch or dinner, and this is quite good, and very well priced.
Staff are pleasant, friendly, and responsive, but not up to the same standard as the staff at Shangi-la or Crimson.
A good hotel, reasonably priced, nicely located, and worth a viist.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I thank you for your review here on tripadvisor.
While I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay overall, I have taken note of some of your comments in regards to lapses in our service which we will address and improve upon. I appreciate you pointing this out to us so we can make the necessary changes.
It is through reviews like yours that

MANILA
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed here last Sept. 20-22, 2013. I instantly fell in love with the place. The pool, Ibiza Beach Club, our room with the beach view, all of it... The hotet staff were friendly and accomodating. I especially would like to thank Miss Aizel for being so nice and amazing to us during our stay. I would definitely wanna go back here. :)

Room Tip: beach front view rooms are great. If you love to contemplate on the beauty of sunrise and sunset (li...