“Best of the bunch”

Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed August 4, 2013

having stayed in 3 hotels here in Cebu for the past 3 nights, this one takes the top spot. They were very busy due to the Ironman event that took place that weekend but they were still able to be always friendly and customer focused.
The rooms at Radisson I found more posh and five star but the one here were ok as well.
The staff truly makes the difference here I have to say and we hope to come back again soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ADayrit
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

I am glad to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us despite the hectic weekend here during the Ironman event. The credit goes to my entire team who have worked long hours over this very busy weekend but still kept up their smiles and service focus.
Unfortunately the weather was not the best during this period but we hope to welcome you back in the future for another stay with us so you might enjoy it even more.

thanks again

There are newer reviews for Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu

Reviewed August 3, 2013

My family and in-laws had a wonderful,wonderful vacation time at Moevenpick Hotel,Mactan. I highly recommend this place to everyone for these reasons:

1. Creativity

= they have chic,modern decor without being intimidating
= IBIZA Lounge has the best sound system out there,a live band no less,
jacuzzi,and their 12-course Brazilian Churrasco dinner gets an extra star
( you got to taste this...AAA!)
= Reception area has tall pillars and has just the right touch of color around
= the bedrooms have decent sizes and reasonably priced ( that see-through
closet wall to the bathroom is interesting,though)

2. Ambiance

= I got "the bang for my buck" here especially at night at the swimming pool,
with "LED seats". The seats have changed the dynamics of the pool,made it
fun and welcome for non-swimmers like me (super like them...unique and
special!, I find)
= and the grounds' view is quite gorgeous from any vista point at night.

Kudos, Moevenpick Hotel,Mactan and staff for making our stay truly delightful and memorable.

I would surely stay here again next time and happy to share my family's experience at Moevenpick to others.

Room Tip: Rooms may have1- 2 balconies, Other rooms may have bigger living room than the bedroom.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JAG m
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your experiences and comments on this platform. I do hope your comments will be useful for other travelers, considering our hotel for their visit to Cebu.
I appreciate the positive feedback and I am glad to read that you found the overall experience a positive one.
I do hope we can welcome you back again on a future trip to Cebu.

general Manager

Reviewed August 2, 2013

As mentioned by the previous review, I too have stayed in this establishment when it was still the Hilton, and I recently stayed here, now as Moevenpick. When I got in the hotel, the lobby is totally diffferent. From the old looking pinkish mediterranean look, its now the predominantly light colored modern looking motif. Unfortunately, the space is still the same. Limitied space in the check in counter makes it very cramped. They also only have 3 elevators that are not well synchronized. Imagine this, when you are at your room floor and you press the elevator button, the elevator located nearest to you is not the one that activates, but somehow the other elevator. What a waste of time and electricity. And since the hotel building is over 20 floors, 3 elevators have to move fast, and synchronized well. We got room 1501 while we also occupied 1601 and 1701, the two bedroom units. The aircons were good, except I had to call engineering to have one of the bedroom's aircon unit cleaned. I am not a fan of above counter sinks, and our bathroom counter faucet had a slight leak everytime you use it and it flows on the counter and onto the floor. The counter is always wet in an above table sink, regardless if the faucet has a leak or not.

Breakfast was chaotic. The whole place is cramped. Too many people, too little space available.

I love the way they have set up the bar and beach restaurant. Its just my bad luck that it rained, so it put a damper into the party atmosphere. Great DJ mix. I also noticed the seawater is clear, and no seagrass as what I would see at shangrila mactan. What did you do to have clear seawater, moevenpick? Great job! Now, you need to increase the perimeter wall that separates the side of the walkway to the public pier beside. Its disconcerting when there are people who stand on top of the roofs of the public terminal under construction oggling at whoever they see at the beach area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank al22tecc
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

I am very happy that you, like the previous reviewer, appreciates the major changes we have made at out hotel to make this a truly unique place.
I appreciate you pointing out some of the problems you encountered so we can look into this and rectify those issues. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you .
In regards to your question on how we keep our seawater clear: We basically have constantly staff members taking out floating sea grass on the surface of the water but most importantly, our Ibiza Beach club forms a protecting cove that keeps debris largely out of our beach and sea water areas, resulting in very clear water most of the time, unless of heavy weather conditions.

I understand you comment as well in regards to the perimeter wall. however, we have consciously reduced this wall to allow guests to enjoy the surrounding sea views and add a sense of place. The current construction next door will be completed very shortly and therefore this problem will not occur in the future.

Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you back here again soon.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

i used to stay at the Hilton Cebu many times, until its closure in March 31, 2011. I finally decided to visit the Moevenpick, after it had been remodeled. They certainly did a great job, with the new Reception, the Executive Lounge, the rooms, the swimming pool and the beach. But the best part is the Staff: many are still the Staff they had at the Hilton, and others are new: they are extremely polite, they make sure that you are satisfied, they are polite, educated, caring and make you feel comfortable and being in a "home away from home". Most of the guests, as it was before, are Koreans, and the rest are Japanese, Russian and other European clients. The remodeling was, I guess, expensive but it was excellently planned and makes you want to stay longer. Congratulations for the remodeling, for the attention to details of the staff and making the hotel a delightful place to stay. Dr. J.C. DETATA

Room Tip: I recommend visiting the Executive Lounge: it is expensive but it has been made comfortable, with at...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jcdt
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

It is always great to receive a review from a guest who has previously stayed at the hotel prior our renovation, as it showcases the changes we have undergone during our transformation.

I am particularly pleased to read that you found our employees polite and caring as this is essentially the single most important factor of any upscale hotel to successfully provide its guests the experience they are looking for.

Again, thank you for the high rating and the positive comments and I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We were a few guys on a holiday and chose to stay at the Movenpick.
I have not stayed at the Shangri-La so I cannot compare... But the 2 bedroom suite was perfect for 4 people.. which is very very reasonably priced.
The beach is small, but it didn't matter as there was sand and sea, which I am not a big fan of anyway.
The swimming pool, though not grand, was adequate and when the sun goes down, the lighting in the pool was amazing.
The Ibiza club, though we did not party at night, there is a jacuzzi which you can dip in and enjoy your drinks.
The breakfast buffet was good and what impressed me was that they can squeeze fresh fruit juices for you.
Throughout, our stay was absolutely amazing.

The cons:
The 2 bedroom suite had glass doors for the bathrooms.. Not really a good thing if you are on a holiday with a bunch of straight guys. Though my LGBT friends would have a ball!! LOL :)

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom suite for 4 people
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

It's a pleasure to read such a positive review and I would like to thank you for the high marks you have given us.
I have taken note of your comment in regards to the bathroom door glass and we are currently looking to adjust this accordingly.
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again on a future trip to Cebu

Thanks again for sharing your comments here

Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

It was my second time to stay in Moevenpick, first time was in Geneva, Switzerland.

Though I have experienced staying in this Hotel chain, It was my first time in Cebu and I, together with the whole family decided to stay in your Hotel.

First off, I was mesmerized when I saw the beautiful view from our balcony!! We had an ocean view room and were able to look out over the ocean.

I also love that the beach was very nice, and you have a lot of cabanas by the pool which provide some shade. We had a fun time staying under the sun.

The room was very nice and immaculate...the bed was very comfortable and best of all, the service from the hotel staff is impeccable. They were all so friendly and eager to serve. The General Manager and Resident Manager gives personalized service too, they would stop by to talk to us and would ask how our stay was when they see us around.

I also loved Sails! The corned beef at breakfast was so good and the riped mangoes served were the best ever!
I would also like to commend Elyn,
the Restaurant manager who made sure we were seated comfortably at all times and treated us like family during our 3 nights stay.

Please also extend my utmost thanks ang gratitude to Chardy of your gym. I forgot my iphone 5 after a workout and he personally ensured that I got it back! Your team member Chardy is an asset to your hotel.

I couldn't have been happier with my stay here and we would definitely stay in your Hotel once we are back in Cebu!

All the best and keep up the best service!

• Stayed: June 2013

I am happy that you and your family had a great time at our hotel and that you felt well taken care of. I appreciate your high marks for us and I certainly hope to see you and your family back again in the near future.
I will also ensure to pass your nice comments on to Chardy at our gym, and I appreciate you pointing this out to us.

Thanks again

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Initially i booked and paid for a Suite Ocean View room via Agoda. I cross checked the room description with the hotel website before i made the booking. However, i don't get the one describe in its own website ie 130sqm, top floors, jacuzzi. What i got was just on 8th floor, half the size, ocean view is from the small living room and the jacuzzi is actually a jacuzzi bath tub (not the triangle type i thought it would be). Therefore, i made a complain and asked for a downgrade to Deluxe Ocean Front and requested for a refund (which is on 14th floor, with direct ocean view from the bed!). This is much better than the Suite that we paid earlier. Who would have thought that Deluxe Ocean Front will be better than a Suite Ocean Front! It took me a few calls to the Manager to get this changed. They should avail immediately when a complain is made. Food wise, just a normal breakfast buffet, limited choice of food in Ibiza but the food and location are good. One funny thing is they put the jacuzzi pool at Ibiza instead of pool area. It has a small man made fine sand beach where you can snorkel. Easy booking of water activities as there are 2 counters available. Spa was also good. I had a good masseuse. Overall, if you are looking for a white sand beach, don't go to Cebu as suggested by one of the Movenpick staff - go to Bohol or Boracay instead

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

I would like to sincerely apologize for the confusion about your booked room type. We have actually checked on Agoda to see what room type or Jacuzzi you are referring to but could not see this on the page. The only room with a triangular type Jacuzzi would be our Presidential Suite, so you may have seen a photo of this instead? I would appreciate if you could forward me the link on where you saw this information so I can correct it if it is indeed incorrect.
I am glad however that the remainder of your stay seemed to have been a pleasant one and that you enjoyed the experience in our Spa.
Please feel free to provide me the information on your booking through my email: Knuth.kiefer@moevenpick.com

Thanks again for staying with us

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#1 of 91 in Cebu City
BE Resort, Mactan
BE Resort, Mactan
#12 of 32 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!