“Swiss Hospitality at it best in Cebu”

Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We have stayed in the hotel with a group of more than 30 people. It is tall story building with majority of rooms facing to ocean.Service is excellent, always smiling fluent English speaking boys and girls.
Rooms décor is excellent with all modern amenities.
"Ibiza" is in the middle of the sea with live performance and good food.
It is away from the city and situated in Machtan area which is peaceful.
The disadvantage is a tall building in a sea cost. Beach is a small artificially developed area with no waves.
Over all it is a nice place to spend a peaceful vacation.

Room Tip: Majority of rooms have ocean view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ThomasOommen
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

I would like to thank you very much for the compliments. We are happy that you and your group left with such a positive impression of our hotel.
I certainly understand your comment about the hotel actually being a high rise building, on the other hand it gives us an opportunity to offer guests unrivaled views over the ocean from nearly all of our hotel rooms.
We do hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back again in the newar future.

Knuth Kiefer

Write a ReviewReviews (2,595)

Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

What I like about the hotel: amazing, friendly staff. Everyone was welcoming and this was one of the best service staff I've come across in a very long time. Rooms were Ok, clean and nicely decorated.

What I don't like: there is nothing much around here so our dining choices were severely limited and at exorbitant prices! Dinner was about 3000php, and not worth it. Breakfast was poor as well. Quite perplexed as this is not the usual movenpick standard. The executive chef should revamp the menu!

we headed over to the Ibiza club for drinks and it was not as hip as it is made out to be.

Overall, I wouldn't stay here again..

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank samSG81
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Thank you for your review about our hotel and for pointing out the friendly and welcoming staff. I am also happy that you liked the new room designs.
I was a bit surprised that you did not find our Ibiza Beach club as hip as you expected as we generally receive rave review about this unique feature of our hotel.
I have also taken note on your comment about the breakfast buffet and we shell look into this immediately. Coincidentally we have a new Executive starting today with us who will make it a priority to further improve on this.

Thanks you again for taking the time to share your opinion on this platform

Reviewed May 26, 2013

My family and I stayed in this resort a weekend ago and we truly had a wonderful time! An invigorating lobby upon entering and the staff were ever so helpful. We had a lovely 2-bedroom suite overlooking the beach which was magical to look at night espcially with the lights in the pool, seemingly like floating chairs, beach area, and the Ibiza. Worthy to mentioned would be the wooden floor decking they utilized along the beach side, pool area ... so refreshing to look at! The shoreline was always clean and even on low tide, we were still able to swim not a far distance from the shore. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and we look forward to coming back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ToMiTan

I am happy to read your positive comments in regards to your recent stay with us. I am glad that you had such an enjoyable experience and they you liked all aspects of the hotel. My team and I hope you will be returning soon again and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back.

Thanks again

Reviewed May 25, 2013

I've been in the White House, the nicest hotels in Paris and London, and even the largest palace in the world. However, despite there being a restaurant and other money making stores at the Movenpick and I was standing there at the gate. Fortress like security denied my entry.

I was meeting a friend on that side of the island and thought the Movenpick would be a great spot to meet.

In Munich the Movenpick restaurant was my favorite one. When I am in Singapore, I eat at the Movenpick at the exclusive One 15 Marina.

However, despite the fact I am obviously a Westerner with money in my pocket, there seemed to be no way any low life like myself could get onto fortress Movenpick. What kind of place is this? While standing around the guard house I watched as each car that arrived was checked with mirrors and a guard dog. I asked the guard desk about the prison next door. He seemed confused. "Prison?" He asked. "Yes," I said, "that property just before your property with the big barbed wired fence and security dogs patrolling the path." "Oh sir," was his reply, "that is our property. We just have to be careful."

I've been on Mactan Island now 1 month. Having all these guns facing me is new to me. It is not just this hotel. At BDO Bank there were 5 armed security guards at the front door at the branch of SM City Mall.

So what was the property like? Really can't say. It was closed to me.

I so much now appreciate the Western world were I can just walk into a fancy resort and order lunch.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Hawaiiboyfriend
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

I was very surprised reading your comments to be honest. While we strive to offer our guests security and safety for their stay or visit in our hotel, we generally do not deny access to the property as many guests are visiting us to enjoy our restaurants or the Ibiza Beach Club. I therefore would appreciate if you could personally contact me to further elaborate on the situation you encountered. Some of the information seems confusing to me as we do not have a barbed wired fence around our property for example so maybe there was some miscommunication between our guards and yourself? My email address is: Knuth.Kiefer@moevenepick.com

Knuth

Reviewed May 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Movenpick Resort for 3 days. We have stayed in several resorts around the world through the years and so far this is one of the best. As we entered the beautiful lobby, I knew we would enjoy our stay here. We were given a beach view room at the 15th floor where you could see the clear blue water of the beach, a great view in every angle. we strolled the whole property from the beautiful lobby, big, open and you could feel the cool breeze from the ocean. The pool was so inviting where you'll see floating armchairs more beautiful in the evening when it is lighted. We strolled the very private white beach, very beautiful, you can just lay there sunbathing and enjoying the sight of the ocean. Then we walked to the exciting Ibiza Beach Club, an incredible entertainment with cool music, fabulous food and Manny O wine with the dinner.The food was great, with coffee and chocolate and ice cream. The staff were all friendly and efficient making sure that the guest were comfortable, very well managed.
Overall we enjoyed the very memorable and exciting stay. The best place to rest, a great 5 star experience, we certainly had a great time. We would certainly recommend Movenpick to all our friends and family and business associates.

Room Tip: Request a room on the beach view of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rveeint
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Positive reviews such as yours are always a great motivation to our entire team here at the Moevenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, as it confirms to us that our services and facilities are appreciated and that our efforts in training our employees are bearing fruit. I am very happy about your high marks throughout and we certainly hope we will have an opportunity to welcoming you back again very soon. I appreciate you recommending us to your friends and family and I hope they will have an equally enjoyable experience with us.

Thanks again,

Reviewed May 23, 2013

A long time coming weekend getaway in Cebu and had the oppurtunity to spend it with my wife at this fabulous resort hotel in Mactan Island, Cebu. The place stands out from the rest of the resort hotels I have seen and/or stayed here and abroad. Sophisticated but casually elegant ambiance and decor compliments the property. From the lobby/lobby lounge to the pool deck, the beach and the Ibiza beach promenade renders a unique experience exploring the amenities of the resort. Every staff is friendly, approachable and pays attention to your daily needs and preferences. Concierge staff even arrange for your tour of the city if so desired. And wow, what an incredible dining experience we had at the Ibiza beach promenade 'Churrasco'. Make your all you can eat salad and be served with freshly grilled seafood and meat medley. Good job Chef :) Love it with the Manny O wines served to compliment. After dinner, a cup of Cuppochino or Moevenpick ice cream. Yummy. Enjoyed immensely the experience. A true destination and will be back sometime soon definitely.

Room Tip: Rooms fronting the beach is tops.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FrediVee

I am glad you and your family had an enjoyable and relaxing experience while staying with us on your recent visit. I am glad that our team here at the hotel has succeeded in meeting your expectations and they you had a positive impression of our hotel throughout.
I am also happy that you enjoyed the dining options at our hotel and we certainly hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your review here on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

This place is not the Shangri-La. Not even close!

I'll start off by explaining that I am giving this hotel, a hotel at which I would not stay again, 2 stars, only because there is no 2.5 option, and my personal requirements for 3 stars include a willingness to stay at a hotel again. Given that I would be highly unlikely to stay here again, I'm opting for 2 stars. Our experience at this hotel was not good, but I will say that the service staff, from the housekeeping services to the general manager, was really friendly. It's just that they don't have much to work with.

When we first checked in, we were given a room that had many problems, including tiles falling off the shower wall, mold/dirt around the corners of the bathtub, sheets that didn't completely cover the mattress underneath (yuck!), a faucet that kept coming off in our hand, and a shower that offered "barely lukewarm" as the warmest water setting! Between that and a few other problems we had, we were ready to check out the very next day! I complained to the manager, however, and we got our room changed. (Again, everyone who worked there was really friendly and tried to be helpful!) Our new room was much better, but it was also a more expensive, top-floor room, so it should have been better!

I think many of these problems are indicative of an old resort that was quickly renovated and given a fresh coat of paint, without actually fixing some of the underlying issues with the building. Tiles should not fall off of walls. Faucet handles should not come off in your hand. The corners of the bathroom should not have permanent grime in them. This is especially true at a resort which claims to have 4 or 5 stars! Even the cleanliness issues, I think, are age-related---there is no way a regular housekeeper would be able to get rid of all the grime that has settled in the corners of the bathroom. The place feels like it used to be a low-end, run-down hotel, but Moevenpick bought it and put a fresh coat of paint on it and added trendy pillows in the rooms; the underlying "run-down" hotel feeling is still there, lurking just under the surface.

The food at the restaurants was reasonably priced, but fairly mediocre. For true foodies, I recommend getting a reservation at the nearby Abaca resort---we ate there several times during our stay! Abaca has really delicious food!

The pool and beach area at the Moevenpick is lovely. I had a couple of spa treatments. While it's not the best spa I've ever been to, the services were good. I was pleased with my spa treatments.

The staff, from the luggage handlers to the managers, were incredibly friendly! They went out of their way to let us know that they were happy we'd chosen to stay at their resort. Again, the staff, were they transported to a better facility, would really contribute to a 5-star experience, but they can only do so much at a place like this. The phrase "you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still just a pig" keeps coming to mind. That was my experience of the Moevenpick in Lapu-Lapu---it had a lovely coat of lipstick. But it was still a building that needs work.

We stayed here because both the Abaca resort and the Shangri-La were fully booked. If the same thing happens to you, I would not discourage you from staying at the Moevenpick, if your plans require you to be on Cebu Island, but don't go there thinking that you'll get Shangri-La quality, or anything near it. You won't. But you will encounter some very friendly, helpful staff, which always brightens the day!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AEKBS
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

While I am of course happy that you have pointed out the friendliness and willingness to help by our employees, the simple fact that you would not opt staying at our hotel again is of course an indication of our failure to provide you with the experience you expected. I would like to sincerely apologize for this and take this as a lesson for us to improve further, particularly in the areas you pointed out. We are constantly working on improvements is regards to maintenance issues at the hotel but evidently we still need to catch up on areas like the ones you listed.
I am however grateful for your positive remarks about our team members as this is an important asset in any hotel and despite the lapses you encountered in regards to some of the physical aspects of the hotel, I hope we have, at least in part, contributed to some positive memories in our hotel.

I would be happy to further discuss this with you and therefore can be reached at my email address at: Knuth.Kiefer@Moevenpick.com

I look forward to hearing from you again and thank you for sharing your comments, which are essential for us to further improve.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#1 of 92 in Cebu City
BE Resort, Mactan
BE Resort, Mactan
#15 of 32 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!