“Not worth spending on!”

Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Manila, Philippines
“Not worth spending on!”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is a long overdue review. I stayed in this hotel last Holy Week and it was a series of bad experiences for us. Although generally we make the most out of any situation we're in. Let's start with the room. I booked through an online reservation site and the room category specifically said seaview. Upon checking in, I reminded Carl, the frontdesk officer, about this and he said it's no longer available and that there's just one room per floor that I had seaview. He mentioned that the Room I will be staying in has an archipelago view anyway which had a bit of seaview. Fine. I didn't want to start off with anything negative. In the room, the closet door hit the bed each time I opened it. In other words, the closet didnt even fully open- not even half. Next, there wasn't any space for the luggage. We had to improvise in order for us to have something we could put our bags on. Now the bathroom, the drainage was so bad. Our feet drowned in the water which was not a very good feeling. The shower did not work properly. The water was always just hot. It was really hot but enough for us to just let it go because again, we didnt't want to sweat the small stuff. Come good Friday, the hotel was packed! Annoyingly packed. It felt like a waterpark. For the amount we paid for it didn't feel like a premium place anymore. I was told there was a lot of visitors doing day-trip being that malls were closed then but it was just too chaotic. It seemed like checked-in guests were not thought about. It was just chaotic. Even some servers said they did not expect the influx of people then. You don't say. It didn't stop there. We decided to go to Ibiza Saturday night for some drinks. Decided to order the Signature Ibiza Mojito and all I can say is-- please review this mix as it needs a lot of improvement. It doesn't deserve to be called a mojito. Okay, at that point, we were leaving the next day (Sunday) and we just thought it can't get worse than this. We decided to hit the beach early so we had early breakfast only to find out that when we got back to our room to change into our swimsuits, our keys didn't work because that thing where you tap the key on was low batt. Employees kept going to our room, asking if this certain group already came to fix it and all that which started to be very annoying because it seemed like they were not communicating. We stayed for about 40mins waiting for them to literally drill holes to manually open the door. What a waste of time. Waste of time because we were just sitting and waiting by the elevator and it was so hot! Instead of us starting early, we started of with the beach late because of this. Really not acceptable especially for a hotel like this. I asked the Front desk officer to ask the manager on duty to call me so I can discuss the list of complaints but didn't get a call. I met the manager when I checked out and told him I was very disappointed in the stay especially the fact that I wasn't given a call back when I asked for it. I left feeling relieved that my stay was over- not a great way to end a supposedly fun vacation. It was a fun vacation because we made it to be but the hotel fell way short of even the basic of things a premium hotel should be able to offer.

Room Tip: Do not stay where we stayed which was 1710
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cookie_Cabrera
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
While I am of course very concerned about the comments in your review, I would like to thank you for bringing them to our attention and at the same time I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the series of problems you encountered during your stay.
I certainly agree with you that during the peak period of holy week we were not as prepared as we should have been and subsequently we fell short of our service delivery.
I have taken note of all your comments and we will address those individually. Please also note that I have re-looked at the recipe of our Signature Mojito and we are re-designing the drink at present.
I am very sorry for the negative impression we left you with but please feel free to contact me directly via email at: Knuth.kiefer@moevenpick.com to further discuss this.

Again my apology for the various issues you had to deal with during your stay

Knuth Kiefer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Cebu City
Reviewed April 13, 2013

The hotel on the exterior is pretty decent. The pool area and the beach is adequate, all be it a little small but considering the space they had to work with, a lot better than when it was the Hilton.

Pool is nice, a bit on the small side if hotel is fully booked but adequate. The beach is so much better now. Curving around the beachfront created a wider space for more beach activities.

We had several issues with our stay.

1. Before check-in we requested for 2 rooms to be on the same floor, both king size beds. We were 2 couples in 2 separate rooms. WE DID NOT GET OUR REQUEST. The front desk said, it was a request but not fulfilled. We checked in at 4pm. Room was not available. They said there was something wrong in the bathroom. After 15minutes, they said room was ready and plumbing would not be a problem. This will haunt my stay (strike 1)
2. After waiting 15minutes for our room which was supposed to be ready, we got up to the room only to find out the keycards given to us DID NOT WORK. We had to go back down and have the keys reprogrammed. (strike 2)
3. After dinner at a nearby hotel, we came back to the hotel to use the lifts back to our room. There were 50-60 people cramming the 1 elevator they had functioning. Its funny because at around 4pm I distinctly remember seeing 3 elevators working. By 8:30pm, only one of 3 was working... Bummer, it took 10minutes just to get the lift to open its doors to us. We were in front of the 50-60 people luckily.
4. My companion room ask me where are our complimentary drink coupons for Ibiza Bar. I said they didn't give me any. I had to ask for them at the front desk. Fine. No problems there but when we approached Ibiza, it was closed off for a private function. We wanted our drinks to go with our ordered desserts... so we proceeded to the poolside restaurant where we asked to use our coupons. The staff politely said, we had to go back to Ibiza and get it there... confusing specially since they said it was closed off and now we had to go back there just to get our drinks??? If that were the case, they shouldn't be offering coupons for something they can't serve... I spoke to the duty manager and she cleared it up for us.
5. On ordering desserts, we had selected several. One in particular we were told would take 20-25minutes. It took 45 minutes. That was fine since we were enjoying our drinks. It was a Chocolate Lava cake, ironically, it was the best I've every tried. Well worth the wait.
6. Going back to the room after desserts and drinks, we noticed, again 1 elevator was functioning. But this time it was the unit across the one that worked before... I was seeing a pattern of a hotel skimping on the costs of running multiple lifts. I hope I'm wrong but that SHOULD NEVER be allowed in a hotel of 4 or more stars. That's something we would expect in a 1 or 2 star establishment. NOT a MOVENPICK.
6. I took a shower at 11pm. The bathroom flooded. The drain was clogged. I knew the faulty plumbing would be a problem for the room they gave us! The staff at front desk should have known better. (LOTLOT was her name) I overheard that the problem with the room was the shower and even knowing that, they still gave us that room. It takes a total of 4 door bells on the room between 11:10pm till 11:40pm before they get it fixed with a toilet plunger! I commend the staff for being as discrete as possible, on the 3rd and 4th visit, they knock ever so subtle. (strike 3!)

I can overlook the faults between 3-5, but I can't forgive an establishment that forces BAD ROOMS onto guests. My biggest mistake was thinking Movenpick was a Swissotel brand. I later realized that its not the same group... Big MISTAKE. I prefer to stay at Langham's, Swissotels' and Hilton's.

I do have some good comments about the staff. They were all very polite and still continued to smile even with my being angry with what was going on... in some cases, really not their fault and yes, I did tell them its not your fault but the HOTEL Managements.

Employees were very helpful and was always offering service. The desserts we had were surprisingly very good. The drinks were a bit of a miss though. An iced tea should be served cold. Not room temperature. I also noticed that the hotel was understaffed on the F&B outlets... not a very smart move given the hotel was fully booked.

Another good point I need to say. On entering bathroom, there were no toothbrushes. So I requested for one. It was bit later that I realized the DO NOT DISTURB sign was hanging on my door. Instead of removing it, I decided to test the staff. Would they knock or call to say it was on my door. They called and said that the staff was outside the door with my toothbrush. Kudos to housekeeping and guest relations.

We can try to be understanding sometimes but for this hotel, 3 strikes is out. I would NOT recommend this hotel. Only saving grace is FILIPINO hospitality. For that, I still gave the hotel 3 out of 5 but would NOT recommend it. FIX UP or SHIP OUT.

Room Tip: For a little more money, book a room at the Shangrila right beside. I did for the following weekend.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
I appreciate your frank and honest comments on your recent stay with us. I would like to sincerely apologize for the various issues you encountered and I fully understand that based on this experience we do not deserve a higher rating from you. I will certainly investigate the various points you raised as it is vital for us to improve on those.
Just to clarify though, we are not switching off elevators to conserve energy, this was an unfortunate situation where two of our elevators had some maintenance issues and we had to cope with this situation. As you probably noticed though, this was only on one day during a specific time frame.
I fully understand your dissatisfaction in regards to your visit here, however, I would very much appreciate if you could contact me directly at my email (Knuth.Kiefer@moevenpick.com) to further discuss this.

Thank you very much and I look forward to hearing from you.

Singapore
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The Ibiza-style concept of the hotel is great, sitting at the jetty bar you could easily think that you were next to the Med and not the South China Sea. Everything looks good, but on closer inspection the rooms are not vey clean and little details like the bedside lamps are really not 5*, you have to reach behind the headboard to turn off the lamp. The restaurants are ok, the bread is particularly good, but not value for money and the service whilst polite and friendly is not efficient. Management need to focus on getting the details up to standard, because the hotel deserves to be better.

That said, other details were great, the kids play area was really nice, both for adults and children and providing bread to feed the fish in the morning was a nice touch. The loud aerobic activity in the afternoon, would be better away from the beach, so that it doesn't disturb everyone.

All in all, I would definitely go back and given the choice between here and Crimson, this place definitely gets my vote.

Room Tip: The one-bedroom suites are comfortable and spacious, great if you are travelling with kids.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
I thank you for your constructive and very helpful review of our hotel. I am glad you had an overall enjoyable stay and pointed out to me some areas of improvement, which we will address immediately.
While we are constantly training our team members, there are apparently still lapses in the delivery of our service and we are eager to improve on this with urgency. Your comments are vital for us to help ironing out those problems and I hope you will already notice a great improvement on a future visit.

Makati, Philippines
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My family and I (and an array of friends) stayed at Movenpick Cebu for the holy week break. It normally isn't a good idea to head for the resorts during the Holy Week as they are surprisingly full. But why waste a good break?

Some of our comments:
- Location was great. Punta Engano in Mactan is definitely a wonderful location. White sand beaches, clear waters and surprisingly present marine life.
- Check-in process was fast. When we arrived our check-in process took no greater than 5 minutes. As an added bonus, the rooms were already available! The fun in the sun didn't wait!
- Renovated lobby was beautiful. I have to say the new lobby with its bright modern colors blended with nice furniture (Cobunpue?) was large, spacious, windy and beautiful. I do also like the retro working espresso machine in the middle and wished I could take it home.
- Service and staff was excellent. My wife made a general comment that service staff seems to be trying to "guess" what we wanted all the time. They were very responsive and smiled all the time. I even bumped into a Korean speaking receptionist who thought I was Korean!
- The Crispy Pata was wonderful. The traditional heart-stopping leg of pig was very well seasoned and cooked. It was the tenderest Crispy Pata I have ever eaten! Being Cebuano, I am impartial to Lechon so this Crispy Pata is MY "Best Pig Ever!".

If this is what a soft-launched hotel has to offer I can't wait until it is fully operational.

Room Tip: The suites are pretty good and spacious. Like the rest of the hotel, it is filled with fancy furnitu...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
It is a always a pleasure reading a positive review of our property here on Tripadvisor, as it indicates to us that our efforts in providing our guests with a great experience are bearing fruits.
I appreciate your high marks for our hotel and the service aspects you pointed out.
There are only very few areas of the hotel we are still fine tuning, so the hotel is actually no longer in soft-opening status. We do hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review

HK
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed for 4 days right after holy week to relax and get some sun. Rooms may not be 5* (phone not working, no wifi) and if you get a room to the back (though with very nice ocean views) where the hotel borders all the local houses with roosters up at 5am and dogs barking all night, you will need some earplugs. Not something the hotel can control, just be aware.
However, the grounds with swimming pool and beach are wonderful, thoroughly enjoyed them. The place was not very busy and it felt like the staff was relaxed and happy to have holy week behind them. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, made for a good experience.
Outside the hotel in walking distance there are a few restaurants and some spas. Also the hotel provides a daily shuttle bus into Cebu city.
Would definitely recommend for a few days at the beach.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
I would like to apologize for the fact that the phone in your room apparently did not work. While we do have internet available in all guest rooms, we are currently working on the implementation of a brand new Wifi infrastructure which will provide complete coverage of all areas of the hotel.
I am glad that overall though you had an enjoyable stay with us and I hope we have an opportunity to see you back at the hotel in the near future

Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Checked in the place on Monday, literally after Easter holidays to stay away from the crowd. All marketing collateral said the Ibiza beach club (which was what attracted me to book this place over last beachfront resorts) opens from 11am but real experiences in first 2 days told me staffs do not provide service until 5pm. A shame to such a good-looking beach club with all the jacuzzi & net beds, etc.
There was one evening you got 2 young kids (4-6 years old) at Ibiza beach club playing kids' fight in the jacuzzi and you had the beach club staffs baby-sitting the kids instead of servicing other customers' drinks. If you want to name as a true Ibiza beach club, run like one.
This property also comes with a residence end which means residents with kids become regular guests to the pool once they finish school or work. Starting 4pm and all in sudden the very peaceful poolside chilling environment got disturbed by non-stop screaming kids playing hide-and-seek by pool area.
Tried food at both Ibiza beach club and the Forum. Zucchini chips and spicy crab meatballs were marvelous! The forum got super slow service that we eventually gave up on our orders. Sails replaced the baby spinach in my lobster salad with roman lettuce without asking me first...
Gosh - I like this place and wish to be able to come back, shall it be much improved or ready.
I am still staying here for 2 more nights so hope the experience would be improved. Will also try out the spa tomorrow and report back.

• Stayed April 2013
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Unfortunately we did not get a chance to personally talk about your experience here at the hotel prior your departure due to your schedule. I do however hope that the remainder of your stay was positive and I appreciate you mentioning the potential of our hotel and that you liked the overall concept. I very much appreciate you pointing out the various shortcomings and suggestions. Based on your comments I have already made some adjustments in our operation, one being the Ibiza Beach Club Jacuzzi being reserved for adults only after 5.30pm.
We are also working on addressing other issues you pointed out and I am confident that you will see improvements if you give us an opportunity to welcome you back again on a future visit to our property.

If I can be of any further or future assistance, please feel free to contact me directly at : Knuth.Kiefer@Moevenpick.com

Macau, China
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Just return from my holidays in this where we stay from 25th out 31st Mach

We have a great time thanks to Aizel, Carl, Rem and Dainty in the front office. Outstanding breakfast served by all the staff but I cant stop mention Isagni, Melin and Roldam always provide the double expresso in the morning, Cristyl keep attentive to my coffee in the lobby, Elma from housekeeping keep the bathroom in the lobby spotless, Richie gret in Ibiza and Suzell on the SPA
A special thanks to Joel and Rexnam for the very special attentive service and hard work.
Sorry to all I don’t mentinon here but to much names in 6 days, all the STAFF IS 6 STARS.

Just a small thing, no turn down service on the last 3 nights, the light bulb over the Jacuzzi in room 1403 is almost fooling down, and the paint in the bathroom is in a bad shape.

Thanks to All the Staff
See you soon

1 Thank José L
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
I would like to thank you for the high marks you have given our hotel, and especially our team members, based on your recent stay with us. I shall certainly share your praises with the entire team and the individuals you highlighted in particular. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to welcoming you back if your travel plans bring you to Cebu again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#12 of 31 in Lapu Lapu
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 91 in Cebu City

Been to Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!