The hotel on the exterior is pretty decent. The pool area and the beach is adequate, all be it a little small but considering the space they had to work with, a lot better than when it was the Hilton.
Pool is nice, a bit on the small side if hotel is fully booked but adequate. The beach is so much better now. Curving around the beachfront created a wider space for more beach activities.
We had several issues with our stay.
1. Before check-in we requested for 2 rooms to be on the same floor, both king size beds. We were 2 couples in 2 separate rooms. WE DID NOT GET OUR REQUEST. The front desk said, it was a request but not fulfilled. We checked in at 4pm. Room was not available. They said there was something wrong in the bathroom. After 15minutes, they said room was ready and plumbing would not be a problem. This will haunt my stay (strike 1)
2. After waiting 15minutes for our room which was supposed to be ready, we got up to the room only to find out the keycards given to us DID NOT WORK. We had to go back down and have the keys reprogrammed. (strike 2)
3. After dinner at a nearby hotel, we came back to the hotel to use the lifts back to our room. There were 50-60 people cramming the 1 elevator they had functioning. Its funny because at around 4pm I distinctly remember seeing 3 elevators working. By 8:30pm, only one of 3 was working... Bummer, it took 10minutes just to get the lift to open its doors to us. We were in front of the 50-60 people luckily.
4. My companion room ask me where are our complimentary drink coupons for Ibiza Bar. I said they didn't give me any. I had to ask for them at the front desk. Fine. No problems there but when we approached Ibiza, it was closed off for a private function. We wanted our drinks to go with our ordered desserts... so we proceeded to the poolside restaurant where we asked to use our coupons. The staff politely said, we had to go back to Ibiza and get it there... confusing specially since they said it was closed off and now we had to go back there just to get our drinks??? If that were the case, they shouldn't be offering coupons for something they can't serve... I spoke to the duty manager and she cleared it up for us.
5. On ordering desserts, we had selected several. One in particular we were told would take 20-25minutes. It took 45 minutes. That was fine since we were enjoying our drinks. It was a Chocolate Lava cake, ironically, it was the best I've every tried. Well worth the wait.
6. Going back to the room after desserts and drinks, we noticed, again 1 elevator was functioning. But this time it was the unit across the one that worked before... I was seeing a pattern of a hotel skimping on the costs of running multiple lifts. I hope I'm wrong but that SHOULD NEVER be allowed in a hotel of 4 or more stars. That's something we would expect in a 1 or 2 star establishment. NOT a MOVENPICK.
6. I took a shower at 11pm. The bathroom flooded. The drain was clogged. I knew the faulty plumbing would be a problem for the room they gave us! The staff at front desk should have known better. (LOTLOT was her name) I overheard that the problem with the room was the shower and even knowing that, they still gave us that room. It takes a total of 4 door bells on the room between 11:10pm till 11:40pm before they get it fixed with a toilet plunger! I commend the staff for being as discrete as possible, on the 3rd and 4th visit, they knock ever so subtle. (strike 3!)
I can overlook the faults between 3-5, but I can't forgive an establishment that forces BAD ROOMS onto guests. My biggest mistake was thinking Movenpick was a Swissotel brand. I later realized that its not the same group... Big MISTAKE. I prefer to stay at Langham's, Swissotels' and Hilton's.
I do have some good comments about the staff. They were all very polite and still continued to smile even with my being angry with what was going on... in some cases, really not their fault and yes, I did tell them its not your fault but the HOTEL Managements.
Employees were very helpful and was always offering service. The desserts we had were surprisingly very good. The drinks were a bit of a miss though. An iced tea should be served cold. Not room temperature. I also noticed that the hotel was understaffed on the F&B outlets... not a very smart move given the hotel was fully booked.
Another good point I need to say. On entering bathroom, there were no toothbrushes. So I requested for one. It was bit later that I realized the DO NOT DISTURB sign was hanging on my door. Instead of removing it, I decided to test the staff. Would they knock or call to say it was on my door. They called and said that the staff was outside the door with my toothbrush. Kudos to housekeeping and guest relations.
We can try to be understanding sometimes but for this hotel, 3 strikes is out. I would NOT recommend this hotel. Only saving grace is FILIPINO hospitality. For that, I still gave the hotel 3 out of 5 but would NOT recommend it. FIX UP or SHIP OUT.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sun, sand and sea await you at Mövenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu. Home to the hugely popular dining and entertainment venue, Ibiza Beach Club, this 5-star Mediterranean-inspired beachfront hotel is the ultimate hotspot for travelers seeking fun and comfort in a trendy setting. Surrounded by expansive marine life, and a location that is only 6 kilometers from the Mactan International Airport, the hotel is the ideal choice to jumpstart your Cebu journey. Feel the thrill of exciting water sports and adventure, or take a refreshing dip in the swimming pool or Sea. Nights come alive as Ibiza Beach Club commands the rhythm of the Mactan night scene with its showcase of live, world class entertainment accompanied by award-winning cuisine. The hotel is also the perfect choice for all kinds of occasions, from business events to weddings, with venues ranging from intimate spaces, ballrooms or lush tropical grounds, to a luxurious beach side bar and club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Movenpick Resort And Spa Cebu
- Movenpick Resort & Spa Cebu Hotel Lapu Lapu
- Hilton Cebu Hotel
- Hilton Mactan Island
- Hilton Lapu Lapu
- Lapu Lapu Hilton
- Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu Cebu Island