“Great concept, but not quite there yet.”

Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Singapore
“Great concept, but not quite there yet.”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The Ibiza-style concept of the hotel is great, sitting at the jetty bar you could easily think that you were next to the Med and not the South China Sea. Everything looks good, but on closer inspection the rooms are not vey clean and little details like the bedside lamps are really not 5*, you have to reach behind the headboard to turn off the lamp. The restaurants are ok, the bread is particularly good, but not value for money and the service whilst polite and friendly is not efficient. Management need to focus on getting the details up to standard, because the hotel deserves to be better.

That said, other details were great, the kids play area was really nice, both for adults and children and providing bread to feed the fish in the morning was a nice touch. The loud aerobic activity in the afternoon, would be better away from the beach, so that it doesn't disturb everyone.

All in all, I would definitely go back and given the choice between here and Crimson, this place definitely gets my vote.

Room Tip: The one-bedroom suites are comfortable and spacious, great if you are travelling with kids.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
I thank you for your constructive and very helpful review of our hotel. I am glad you had an overall enjoyable stay and pointed out to me some areas of improvement, which we will address immediately.
While we are constantly training our team members, there are apparently still lapses in the delivery of our service and we are eager to improve on this with urgency. Your comments are vital for us to help ironing out those problems and I hope you will already notice a great improvement on a future visit.

Knuth Kiefer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My family and I (and an array of friends) stayed at Movenpick Cebu for the holy week break. It normally isn't a good idea to head for the resorts during the Holy Week as they are surprisingly full. But why waste a good break?

Some of our comments:
- Location was great. Punta Engano in Mactan is definitely a wonderful location. White sand beaches, clear waters and surprisingly present marine life.
- Check-in process was fast. When we arrived our check-in process took no greater than 5 minutes. As an added bonus, the rooms were already available! The fun in the sun didn't wait!
- Renovated lobby was beautiful. I have to say the new lobby with its bright modern colors blended with nice furniture (Cobunpue?) was large, spacious, windy and beautiful. I do also like the retro working espresso machine in the middle and wished I could take it home.
- Service and staff was excellent. My wife made a general comment that service staff seems to be trying to "guess" what we wanted all the time. They were very responsive and smiled all the time. I even bumped into a Korean speaking receptionist who thought I was Korean!
- The Crispy Pata was wonderful. The traditional heart-stopping leg of pig was very well seasoned and cooked. It was the tenderest Crispy Pata I have ever eaten! Being Cebuano, I am impartial to Lechon so this Crispy Pata is MY "Best Pig Ever!".

If this is what a soft-launched hotel has to offer I can't wait until it is fully operational.

Room Tip: The suites are pretty good and spacious. Like the rest of the hotel, it is filled with fancy furnitu...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
It is a always a pleasure reading a positive review of our property here on Tripadvisor, as it indicates to us that our efforts in providing our guests with a great experience are bearing fruits.
I appreciate your high marks for our hotel and the service aspects you pointed out.
There are only very few areas of the hotel we are still fine tuning, so the hotel is actually no longer in soft-opening status. We do hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review

HK
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed for 4 days right after holy week to relax and get some sun. Rooms may not be 5* (phone not working, no wifi) and if you get a room to the back (though with very nice ocean views) where the hotel borders all the local houses with roosters up at 5am and dogs barking all night, you will need some earplugs. Not something the hotel can control, just be aware.
However, the grounds with swimming pool and beach are wonderful, thoroughly enjoyed them. The place was not very busy and it felt like the staff was relaxed and happy to have holy week behind them. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, made for a good experience.
Outside the hotel in walking distance there are a few restaurants and some spas. Also the hotel provides a daily shuttle bus into Cebu city.
Would definitely recommend for a few days at the beach.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
I would like to apologize for the fact that the phone in your room apparently did not work. While we do have internet available in all guest rooms, we are currently working on the implementation of a brand new Wifi infrastructure which will provide complete coverage of all areas of the hotel.
I am glad that overall though you had an enjoyable stay with us and I hope we have an opportunity to see you back at the hotel in the near future

Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Checked in the place on Monday, literally after Easter holidays to stay away from the crowd. All marketing collateral said the Ibiza beach club (which was what attracted me to book this place over last beachfront resorts) opens from 11am but real experiences in first 2 days told me staffs do not provide service until 5pm. A shame to such a good-looking beach club with all the jacuzzi & net beds, etc.
There was one evening you got 2 young kids (4-6 years old) at Ibiza beach club playing kids' fight in the jacuzzi and you had the beach club staffs baby-sitting the kids instead of servicing other customers' drinks. If you want to name as a true Ibiza beach club, run like one.
This property also comes with a residence end which means residents with kids become regular guests to the pool once they finish school or work. Starting 4pm and all in sudden the very peaceful poolside chilling environment got disturbed by non-stop screaming kids playing hide-and-seek by pool area.
Tried food at both Ibiza beach club and the Forum. Zucchini chips and spicy crab meatballs were marvelous! The forum got super slow service that we eventually gave up on our orders. Sails replaced the baby spinach in my lobster salad with roman lettuce without asking me first...
Gosh - I like this place and wish to be able to come back, shall it be much improved or ready.
I am still staying here for 2 more nights so hope the experience would be improved. Will also try out the spa tomorrow and report back.

• Stayed April 2013
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Unfortunately we did not get a chance to personally talk about your experience here at the hotel prior your departure due to your schedule. I do however hope that the remainder of your stay was positive and I appreciate you mentioning the potential of our hotel and that you liked the overall concept. I very much appreciate you pointing out the various shortcomings and suggestions. Based on your comments I have already made some adjustments in our operation, one being the Ibiza Beach Club Jacuzzi being reserved for adults only after 5.30pm.
We are also working on addressing other issues you pointed out and I am confident that you will see improvements if you give us an opportunity to welcome you back again on a future visit to our property.

If I can be of any further or future assistance, please feel free to contact me directly at : Knuth.Kiefer@Moevenpick.com

Macau, China
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Just return from my holidays in this where we stay from 25th out 31st Mach

We have a great time thanks to Aizel, Carl, Rem and Dainty in the front office. Outstanding breakfast served by all the staff but I cant stop mention Isagni, Melin and Roldam always provide the double expresso in the morning, Cristyl keep attentive to my coffee in the lobby, Elma from housekeeping keep the bathroom in the lobby spotless, Richie gret in Ibiza and Suzell on the SPA
A special thanks to Joel and Rexnam for the very special attentive service and hard work.
Sorry to all I don’t mentinon here but to much names in 6 days, all the STAFF IS 6 STARS.

Just a small thing, no turn down service on the last 3 nights, the light bulb over the Jacuzzi in room 1403 is almost fooling down, and the paint in the bathroom is in a bad shape.

Thanks to All the Staff
See you soon

1 Thank José L
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
I would like to thank you for the high marks you have given our hotel, and especially our team members, based on your recent stay with us. I shall certainly share your praises with the entire team and the individuals you highlighted in particular. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to welcoming you back if your travel plans bring you to Cebu again.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

staff are ever attentive to your needs. the very moment you step out of your car to check in you don't have to tell them to get your bags. though the place is so pricey but it is worth it.

it a perfect place to just rest and hide from the busy city life.

Room Tip: be very clear that you need a room with a sea side view and not the ones obstructed by another build...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank wickedvet
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thanks a lot for your review and the positive remarks. We are glad you had a relaxing stay with us and I do hope we will be able to welcome you back again sometime in the near future.

Kyoto, Japan
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The hotel is actually quite a bit smaller than we shought, considering there are three large towers. I believe though that not all belong to the hotel and some are residential.
The hotel was newly refurbished and looks crisp and modern. The employees tried very hard to please and I observed the General Manager to be very engaging and mentoring the staff.
Will certainly bring nice memories back home.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beatrice U
I am glad to read that we have met your expectations on your recent trip to our hotel. While our grounds are not extensive as you pointed out, we believe the compact size and feel of the resort is an added advantage for people having all outlets and facilities in relatively close proximity, without long walking distances.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review here on this site.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#12 of 30 in Lapu Lapu
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 87 in Cebu City

Been to Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!