“Moevenpick Resort in Cebu was awesome!”

Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed February 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed here last January/February 2012... we had the best vacation ever while staying @ Moevenpick for the 1st week of our trip...she grew up in Leyte, attended high school and college in Cebu, and had always stayed with relatives until we traveled together to the Phillipines...the resort was the best we ever stayed at in every way....safety, cleanliness, friendly and helpful employees, quality of dining experiences, ( a fabulous buffet)...great location with lots of activities....the nightly entertainment was a duet with a fabulous female singer...all the employees spoke with us in English or talked with my wife in their native dialect....safety and security was excellent also, as the concierge arranged for cab rides via an approved list of quality drivers....the pink icon rides into town were also convenient, comfortable, air-conditioned, and on time every day....fabulous place,...we highly recommend it and cannot wait to visit later this year.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rronvo
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

It is always a pleasure reading such a positive review. Although your stay took place prior to our complete transformation and renovation of the hotel, I am happy to read that you had an enjoyable time. I do hope you will have an opportunity to visit us again in the near future to enjoy the new facilities and services even more.

Thank you for sharing your comments on this platform

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Just got home from a 1 night stay there with my family. Hotel was near perfect. Great ambience, very clean, orderly, definitely near 5 star material. Seemed it was turned around 360 degrees from when it was stull under the previous management. To top it off, staff were super courteous. Best i've experienced from a cebu based hotel. I asked for a late checkout and it was given with a smile. We were able to buy the value booklet and i've got 3 more nights to avail. Definitely looking forward to those ahead. Already very excited.

I commend the manager for turning this resort around. Keep up the good work. Kudos tonyour staff. They make all the difference.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

I would like to thank you for writing about your recent experience in our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the new facilities and services provided and that you noticed the improved service attitude of our team members. As you correctly pointed out, it is the employees who make the difference and I am glad to have a team around me that is putting their best foot forward to ensure our guests will have an enjoyable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon, and please feel free to contact me directly for any assistance you may require.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Last December 17th,my husband and I were traveling without our children.It was unplanned.At first my hubby have a doubt that we can enjoyed our vacation without our two angels.Luckily ,we did!We went to Movenpick as early of 8am since we have a early flights,even there is a reminder that 2pm is check in time.We decided to go first at the hotel and leave our things except for valuable items.Before 2pm,we came back,since Rm306 still not ready,they offered us Rm307 for us to rest since they knew that we're tired from our flights.No wifi but we still used dial up that was offered at the receptions.We truly enjoyed our trip because of the staffs and their costumer service.They are very honest that renovation's still on going,so other things still not set up.We can still enjoyed the stay,Thy offer to take photos for us ,food is good.service is blissfully offered by the staffs.thumbs up :)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank enjoyfunlovetravels
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review here on this website and for the very positive remarks about our newly re-launched hotel. I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay despite some of the areas still being worked on while you were here. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We spent 5 days in Cebu Mactan. I was with 3 families that spent the New Years in Movenpick Hotel. Timely, the renovation is almost to its completion, I must say that my experience is satisfactory despite the struggle to deliver in the most busy time of the year. The rooms were clean, the food were good and the staff were cheerful and friendly, always willing to help. In general very satisfactory.

In all honesty, I see a lot of potential that this hotel could have been excellent. Breakfast was excellent every morning.There's a wide spread of Asian and continental food: the fresh fruits were juicy and scrumptious. I enjoyed their juice bar and the lady (I forgot her name - but she always manage to give me her sweet smile every time I'll ask her for my fruit and veggie juice. The egg section is also excellent, Edwin (the cook) always makes it fresh and to my liking. I spoke to Emy (one of the trainees) - Even there are more trainees than the permanent crews, the staff still manage our expectations and deliver good service. Great job guys in the coffee shop. It's ashamed that we did not experience your fine dinning on the cliff on the boardwalk as it is still under renovation. Maybe next time.

Pool section is a bit disappointing in terms of the selection of snacks at the bar. It was limited to continental choices. We are in the Philippines and we expect to eat more local food that the usual burger or pizza. I am sure you are open to improve on this. Drinks were a bit pricey but, I love the feel of the outdoor pool and hang out areas.

The positive attitude of the staff makes a great difference. I must mentioned that I was very impressed with service I received from the front desk, despite of the hot condition they are in. The lobby scene was overwhelming and congested with people checking ins and outs: the frenzy of holiday season. I feel bad about the condition of the front desk crew/staff as they struggle to keep their best, composure and cool dealing the most complex and demanding guests of the hotel. It could have been more comfortable for everyone (guests and staff) if the hotel is well ventilated and the staff could deliver better service without interruption wiping off their sweats to keep dry while facing the customer. It is not air-conditioned lobby and there's no fan to ease our uncomfortable state as we all sweats together while we wait for the process of checking - ins and we wait for our bills to check- outs. I am sure the hotel will be more considerate with their workers and guests... Mind you, this month of December is the coolest in the Philippines compare to other months. I can't imagine the holy weeks- March to June: the dry season when it reaches it's highest temperature. I am sure the hotel could give great consideration for little bit of comfort to their guests and staff.

I will rate this hotel ALMOST EXCELLENT considering the hotel is still in the process of renovation and improvement. I hope that in the completion of their renovation, this will improve and lead this potentially excellent service to it's crown.

I wish everyone "good luck" and Happy New Year to all!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ElsieA_63
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

I am very happy reading your positive comments and high marks on our recently re-launched hotel here in Cebu.
I shall certainly share your remarks with the team here at the hotel, particularly the ones highlighted in your write-up. I have taken note of your comments in regards of the air ventilation and selection of food around the pool and I shall see how we can improve on this for the future. I hope we will have an opportunity to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

My partner and I stayed in Movenpick Cebu from 28th to 31st December 2012. It is undoubtedly the very worst hotel in which I have ever stayed. The whole place stinks of fresh paint.The choice of food is very limited, overpriced and tastes disgusting (burgers and sandwiches with the texture of cardboard!). The hotel staff speak little or no English. The swipe keys for opening the door to my room frequently did not work. There was supposed to be wifi access in the room but it was inaccessible. My partner wanted to use the spa, but it was closed (under renovation still, I think).The rooms are very noisy because of loud sounds coming from adjoining rooms. The whole place gives the impression of being a prisoner in a concentration camp, not surprising since there are armed guards with big dogs at the entrance to the compound. One of my filipino friends came to the hotel as a day guest but the staff seemed most rude and kept asking about why she was using the swimming pool, as if they did not want day guests there. If you want a nice holiday in a great hotel in Cebu, then I heartily recommend the Costabella Tropical beach Resort and the Bluewater Beach Resort. Steer well clear of the Movenpick (Movenshit more like!).

Room Tip: Don't bother. Try a better hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank poveygc
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

I regret that you have apparently not had an enjoyable stay at our hotel. While I appreciate you bringing to our attention the various points you felt unhappy about, some of your other comments may have been exaggerated due to the disappointment of your stay, which I would like to apologize for.
I was surprised that you pointed out the English level of our employees as English is a commonly spoken language in the country and therefore we very rarely encounter comments from guests that employees speak insufficient English. Additionally, armed guards and sniffing dogs are a standard in any five star hotel in the country as it provides additional security to our guests.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were at the Movenpick resort over Christmas and it was very clear that they were not yet really ready post the renovations to cope with the amount of guests they had at the resort. The actual renovations they had made were very nice and the resort has a great feel to it, the pool area is very nice although quite exposed to the wind and there are no umbrellas there. The beach is great, and the new beach club will be great when it is opened up. The local staff were all very helpful and very friendly but the service was extremely slow. Most meals or drinks you would wait at least 30-45 minutes for and that was in most instances if you followed up with someone! But the staff always delivered the drinks with a smile so it was hard to complain! There were a number of foreign management in the resort at the time we were there and I have to say I was most disappointed with the way they handled themselves. It was clear there were some issues with the renovation and the management would hold meetings with contractors in the restaurants and seats where guests were trying to enjoy a meal which I don't think was professional at all. We had a number of issues with our room and had to move as the plumbing was not working. The room we moved to was a 1 bedroom suite with a view of the beach that was great however the air con or fridge didn't work but given the staff were struggling to cope we decided it best not to complain about those issues! We made the management aware of the issues and Jerry was extremely helpful and did everything he could to help us out with the move which was very appreciated. The foreign management however did nothing in fact they seemed more interested in the renovations than any of the guests. The restaurants (there is only 1) were disappointing, the food in the buffet was nearly always cold and the menu is very limited if you are there for a while. We made our way down to Shangri-La (about 10 minute walk) to the restaurants there as there seemed to be a lot more choice. Overall the resort has great potential and the local staff are very friendly but they weren't quite ready post renovations for the number of guests they had.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank BKKTravels
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on this site.
I certainly agree with you that not everything was completely in place during your visit and we are still finalizing some of the facilities of the resort. I thank you however for pointing out the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff. In regards to your comments on the foreign management staff, which I of course am part of, please accept my apologies. Your comments are certainly valid and in the hectic of the re-launch and efforts to complete all facilities, we may have neglected at times our focus. I thank you for pointing this out as this helps us to improve.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future as I am convinced your next visit will be more enjoyable.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

The newly renovated Moevenpick is a lot better than the old one. I've been there a couple of times but I must say, every stay was worth every cent. The staff were friendly starting from the gates. When we arrived at the lobby, there was a very warm welcome waiting for us. The lobby, I'm pretty impressed due to the modern Mediterranean architecture added with a warm vibe to it. The pool had some chairs on it which you can lounge on while soaking your feet into the water. The fitness gym was pretty first class with their equiptment, a must try. The beach, it may have a quite small area but it does not stop us from their activities. All these beautiful architecture gets better by the night with cool music by their Resident DJ straight from Ibiza. The food at Sails have some of the best cuisines you can taste. And the Ibiza Beach Club gives you a feeling like you really are in Ibiza. Overall, the place is Excellent, definitely will go back there!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tish_mt

While we are still improving and fine tuning our facilities and services, I am happy to read your positive remarks about our newly renovated hotel. I appreciate you pointing out the friendliness of our employees and the fresh new look of our resort. I do hope we will have an opportunity to welcoming you back again soon.

Regards,

#1 of 91 in Cebu City
BE Resort, Mactan
BE Resort, Mactan
#12 of 32 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu? Share your experiences!