“No Tipping Policy! Water everywhere!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Plantation Bay Resort And Spa

Plantation Bay Resort And Spa
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Manila
“No Tipping Policy! Water everywhere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2007

plantation bay is the place to stay for people who want to stay away from the hustle and bustle of the usual vacation. in short, if one wants to hide and just rest, this is the place to book. if one wants to go shop or tour other areas of cebu, then this is not the place as it is located far from the market area. there are cars for rent for people who might want to shop and buy lechon de cebu. (i think they can even buy it for you at a certain price, of course)

but since i wanted to rest, i opted for plantation bay.

first, there really is a no tipping policy. the staff will run after you to give you back any left over coins you might have left either intentionally or unntentionally. they're all accomodating and will speak to you in english.

second, there's water all over the place so cooling off is not a problem. however, if you're looking for the beach, this is not it althought they do have provisions for diving. the human-made lagoons, however, make up for this. since 90% of the lagoons are three feet in depth or even shallower, kids were confident to swim.

third, the rooms are spacious and do give a view of the lagoons. the beds are wide enough and the airconditioning units are functioning well.

fourth, the food is pricey but one of the restaurants (the one in a lagoon) serves the best choices.

fifth, one can hitch a ride in a golf cart transformed into a jeep. there's even the calesa that can take you around the resort.

although, a bit pricey compared to other resorts, plantation bay is really worth every cent. as far as the internet photos are concerned, they'll not do justice to the simple beauty of the place. also, do remember that plantation bay has been around for sometime so do not expect a resort where every inch is new.

yes, i'll be back. i've yet to experience the "spa" part of this resort.

• Liked — cleanliness and the clean water
  • Disliked — it's a bit isolated
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank coolclam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2007

very, very good service! a friend lost 3Tpesos but later found by one of the staffs. Unbelievable! but internet pictures are alot better than what you see in reality. Great service, nontheless!

• Liked — great staff and service!
  • Disliked — too expensive foods and amenities!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
4 Thank cyrillota
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2007

A beautiful resort with a great lagoon meandering throughout. We stayed in an upstairs room overlooking the lagoons. The food was great just as wel as there are no other places in this area to eat. One need not set foot off outside the resort. A bit of bad luck having a family with kids next to us and 5am noise isn't great. Buffet breakfast is great and many themed nights for dinners. Service was excellent. A great honeymon option or romantic getaway. Kids and teens wouldf also love this place too.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KristyA
NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2007

I booked through internet for a Lagoonside and a clubroom for dates April 27-29. The clubroom states that they have 2 queen size beds and 2 bunk beds. But when we checked in, the clubroom only had 2 queen sized beds. I checked with the people at the desk and they told me they have no more rooms. I let that night pass by. But then for Sunday April 29, I was expecting more company that we booked (a few months early) for another 2 Clubrooms since there will be 12 of us (6 in each room). That morning, I specifically told the desk to make sure that I have the bunk beds and they assured me there will be. But it turned out that the 2 clubrooms (supposedly with bunk beds) are not available.I was furious with the way they advertised this in the internet. So I asked them to just extend my stay in one of the Lagoonside and still take 2 of the Clubrooms. They said "were booked to capacity, mam." So I asked for a room that would accomodate 12 people and they gave me the 2 room suite in lieu of the clubrooms. It turned out the 2 room suite could only accomodate 2 families and I ended up taking the other clubroom. I did not get into the 2 room suite till 5 pm but they let us stay while we wait for our room at our old Lagoonview room of which turned out that it was not really occupied-in short they lied to us. I saw our old Lagoonview room empty that morning when I passed by. As I checked out that morning, I found out my bill was $800++. Though the 2 room suite could have only been $300++ and I only had a bill for P1600 and P3000++ charged in my room. They have very poor service. They did not even offer to upgrade our room due to their "deceitful advertising." I would not ever recommend this place nor would even come back here. They have good activities though. But we still need good service here. 2 days prior to me checking in at Plantation Bay, I was at Shangrila Resort in Mactan,Cebu. I was very pleased with their service. Though pricey, I did not regret staying there. I did not care about tipping because its all worth it. Plantation Bay has no tipping policy but with "service charges" they really kill you with that. Check next time you check out...

• Liked — their activities
  • Disliked — false advertisements
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Aljas
Oakland, Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2007

Plantation bay hotel is the most wonderful hotel experience my wife and i have been to. We have stayed at plantation bay many times and have enjoyed it more and more every time. At first site after you enter the gates you see what appears to be a swamp ( as i looke di was wondering if we took a wrong turn). As you enter the lobby you see why the hotel is rated so well, the lobby is simple but very elegant in a style you would expect from a tropical resort. At first we where greeted by many people to help with any needs in exiting vehicle and getting baggage. All the staff greet you with a smile and a generous greeting. Check in flows with very helpful and organised manner, and are able to put you intouch with any needs you may need.
As we enter the resort we found a very beautiful tropical four section lagoon with beach sand walk areas lined with tropical plants, palm trees, gazebo's, and hamocks(the view took my breath away). The lagoon is lined with plantation style buildings with first floor rooms having a swim up deck. The transportation around the large resort road circles around the outer ring of resort with a cart or horse drawen carriage. the road is lined with signs pointing to many extra features from fitness center,fish pounds, batting cage, shooting range, climbing wall, putting green, and many other.
The rooms are very large with very simple but elegant furnishings. The linens where mostly white and very clean as if we where first people to use them. The bathroom is very large lined with marble with unique style bath with seperate shower. the room decks have very beautiful views of the lagoon with comfortable ratton furniture.
The best part of this resort is the service. the staff goes out of there way to remember guest name and greet you with a mr and mrs and a smile. our first stay with this hotel was for my wife and my engagment the hotel staff went out of there way to help me design a private beach dinner with a special non menu request, the staff added many ideas to the special night that i had not thought of and made the special evening go very smooth. We where so impressed with that service we also had our wedding reception at plantation bay. they helped us design a excellant menu in our budget for 160 plus guest and also went as wonder.
There is only one disadvantage to this resort the beach is very small and disappointing, but does have features of a dive shop and sports center for water activities.
We stayed in several rooms from two bedroom suite ($300) to lagoon view room ($120). There are four restuarants savannah grill (sandwich food two people average under $15) ,fiji( beach side seafood asian mix style mostly japanese two people average $50),kilimanjaro kafe (filipino food along with breakfast buffet two people average $20) palermo ( italian food two people $50 dollars plus).

• Liked — customer service
  • Disliked — beach
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jessicanrichard
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2007

I was in Cebu for a little under 2 weeks for my Brother's wedding. In this time we stayed in 2 places (one resort, the other a hotel), the first week was Plantation Bay on Mactan Island and then closer in the city for my Brother's wedding, staying at the Marriot.

A group of nine of us inhabited the presidential suite at Plantation Bay for a few nights and then onto standard rooms. Reading some other reviews, I have to agree that Plantation doesn't exactly live up to its five star/superior billing, however is a very good place to stay and is probably best described as 4 star service/quality with five star design and scenery.

At times and in certain places the resort did not have the attention to detail that you would expect of a five star facility.

The resort itself is however brilliantly designed and as picturesque as any. The lagoons provide a significant amount of water to laze or swim around in, so even in the busiest times you don't need to worry about bumping into anyone.

The water is pumped in straight from the nearby beach/ocean and appears pretty clean. Draining and cleaning of the vast lagoons take place on wednesday/thursday and is completed a section at a time so you always have somewhere to swim.

The presidential suite is ideal for a group travelling together. You get in an enclosed compound within the resort, including 4 villas, a nice shelter/gazebo and a large living area, with a huge dining table and unstocked bar. The central area has a private swimming pool that is more a sitting/wading pool, but nonetheless good for sipping cocktails in.

The standard rooms in the windward lodge were pretty average, but then again they are alot cheaper than the presidenital suite. The wading pool (3 ft at its deepest) in this area was pretty dirty and doesn't seem to get much attention. Can I suggest that if you stay at plantation, don't get the cheapest accomodation. Pay a little extra for a lagoon side room or if you are a large group the presidential suite.

This resort is a great place if you like to laze around, swim and tan. The restaraunts are pretty decent, expensive compared to outside the resort but still decent value.

The Fiji restaraunt is at a good location overlooking the beach, so go their for dinner and get an outdoor table if possible. The italian restaraunt was great quality, you should try the crab meat ravioli....it is delectable.

If you are into cocktails, try the Plantation Bay Colada. I must of drunk dozens of these. They are basically Pina Colada's with banana, but I think there must be secret ingredient, because they are addictive. I was a couple of dozen more coladas away from figuring it out (the secret ingredient), but alas we had to leave before I could figure it out. I often wake up at night craving the smooth, creamy taste.

One of the best things with the resort if the strict no tipping policy. This takes much of the ambiguity out of what to tip and when. It is adhered to strictly. I bought a can of drink from the bar and left a couple of pesos there. The lady serving practically chased me to the other end of the resort to give me the change.

If you are interested, the Marriot is okay in Cebu City. Clean and okay value. Only really for the business traveller or someone who has something to do in the city. If you are in Cebu to laze around, stick to mactan island and the resorts.

As an aside, if you get a chance, catch the ferry over to the nearby Bohol island. Spend a couple of days here. You can visit the chocolate hills (large mounds of earth that look like breasts and spread out as far as the eye can see), tour the river that snakes through the Island, take a cruise to the waterfalls (not significant, but quaint and pretty) and visit the Tarsier enclosure. Tarsiers are the world's smallest monkeys and can fit in you hand. They are a cross between a monkey, a rat, a possum, a gremlin and an ewok. They have amazing possum like eyes and look like something out of a cartoon.

If you get a chance stay or visit the bee farm. this is a little hotel/restaraunt/shop/farm on the ocean. The food at the restaraunt is organic and is delighful. Try the pesto or mango spread, you will buy barrels of it to take home. The view from the restaraunt is also amazing. If you want a nice isolated spot I would recommend this place for a week of two for peace and relaxation.

• Liked — The lagoons/swimming areas
  • Disliked — Doesn't really live up to the five star billing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank AnthonySydney
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2007

Hmm....what can I say?

Recently stayed here for 9 days in the "Penthouse Suite". Recent reviews gave me cause for concern but I made an assumption that since we booked the supposed 'top" room in the place things would be alright.

Check-In/Check-Out
Opted for the "VIP Express Service" which provides you with airport transfer both ways in a BMW SUV and drives you directly to/from the room without having to pass reception. This was an excellent service and personally found it good value.

Room
This was one of the more disappointing things for me. It's not that the room was terrible, it was actually alright, but it was so sad to see such a waste of potential. With it's central location, sheer floor space and octagon design providing near 360 degree views in could easily be one of the top rooms anyone could stay in anywhere. Unfortunately, the room had an incredibly tired and old feel to it. Everything, (including the tacky wallpaper and seemingly homemade embriodered pillows), looks like it has been there for 30 years.

Overall design of the room seems to be an afterthought as well. From the entrance that makes you feel like you're sneaking into the kitchen of the restaurant, the outdoor balcony that would have been much cleverly placed facing the main pool and beach area rather than the top of the kitchen/restaurant, to the placement of the master bedroom/secondary bedroom which should obviously be swapped.

During our 5th day there, the AC unit in the upstairs room (secondary bedroom) froze up and began leaking. This was actually discovered by housekeeping and we were informed by a technician who was in our room when we got in one afternoon what had happened and that he would come back later when it was de-iced to fix it. Now; being from Canada, I don't have a lot of experience with AC's.......but I do know if you want it to de-ice, you don't leave it running. Since we really didn't need the upstairs.....i decided to keep my mouth shut just to see how long it would take to fix for curiousity's sake. When we left four days later, the A/C was still iced up and leaking on the floor. It did make a quite a mess since the carpet was soaked and a musty smell was definitely present when you went upstairs, so I'm sure it's happened before. Sorry to anyone staying in that room after me and having to put up with the musty smell.

This one took me awhile to figure out. As mentioned in previous posts; there is a "strict" no-tipping policy at the resort and in place of this; the resort takes it upon themselves to charge a 10% service fee on every cost you incur, (this includes a 50php game of air hockey). Although the restaurant staff are all very friendly and helpful if you can catch their attention, the service lacks severely and there wasn't one meal where we weren't waiting around at the end of it for 10-20 minutes trying to grab someone's attention to bring us our bill. This of course doesn't apply as a blanket to all waitstaff as there were a few good ones.

It was a result of these few good waitstaff and the excellent drivers we used from the hotel that I figured something out. The fact that there were a few, (very few) staff that stood out so much above the others that by day 6 I decided I would give them a dash and see how it went. Not surprisingly, they were accepted, and the service got even better from these few. Coincidentally, service from some of the other staff also improved as I figure word was spreading. So, if you want service you'd equate with a 3-4 star resort, you'll have to pay for it, if you're happy with 2-star service, you don't have to do anything.

The room we got was also advertised with a "personal butler" service. In 9 days, I saw the butler twice.....for check-in & check-out. I did call the butler service on the phone a handful of times for queries about tours, house-keeping, etc. and my requests were more often than not were answered with a proud, "call this number" as they were obviously happy to help direct my calls.

House-keeping was poor. In 9 days, we had to call to request our room be serviced when we returned from being away all day shopping or on a tour on THREE seperate occasions. Once I can understand as an oversight, but 30% of the time? Also, on one other occasion we had someone come at 9pm to clean the room, and the second day of the A/C problem the serviceman knocked at 10:30pm to see if the A/C had defrosted yet. After the first two days of the A/C fiasco, I think they gave up and service guys didn't come over anymore

Activites
It was clear right from the first hour we were there that activites weren't a priority for the resort. There was a listing each day of some events but I never ever saw one thing happen. My guess would be the resort's clientelle is 70% package tourists from Korea/Japan and all organizing efforts go into making special events for these groups. Every night when we would do a walk around the entire resort there would be a new event on for a specific group, which more often than not; closed down that particular venue for the rest of the resort.

There is a tour desk, and if the right person is working they can suggest some good things for you. During the first three days we were under the impression that there were only two tours/sight-seeing trips that you could arrange fromt he hotel as we had asked at the tour desk. Neither of which interested us. It was only when we were sitting at the desk asking for a car to go do some shopping that we noticed a flyer for other tours. We then found out you could book several different trips, but the staff seemed confused as I don't think anyone ever booked them. We took the Cebu city tour, (complete waste of money), and a day trip to Bohol, (well worth the money).

I found breakfasts great. They rotate "themes" so you won't get tired of the same offerings everyday and there are some neat things you'd never think of. I did find it cheap that they didn't include the breakfast in the room price as most everywhere else in the world does. Funnily enough, we were initially charged the full buffet breakfast price but once we started tipping for good service, we only ever got charged for the continental breakfast, (half the price). Ahh.....corruption at it's finest.

The food at the Fiji restaurant is decent, but eating there more than 3 times could probably be boring. The Kilimanjaro Cafe is ok for a light snack, and would be a brilliant idea if they figured out that they should serve poolside nibblies from there., but it is not a real "dinner" place as most of the menu is a "fast food" type flavour. Never ate at the Italian place......aside from not knowing whether it would be open or not, it just doesn't fit the whole ambience of the place. The Savannah "Grill", attempted to go there once, only to be shown to prepackaged meals behind a glass case which we were to choose from. No Thanks.

They have a "BBQ" night once a week which is decent. They could definitely put on a little better performance and maybe make an evening of it, but it's just eat and go. Speaking of which, go early as it starts at 6 and people were wandering in at 7:30 and being told that it was over.

There is also a Filipino feast thingy once a week that apparently has some entertainment but we didn't make it to that one.

Grounds
The ground are genrally wonderful and huge. It is true you probably will never feel crowded here with all the freshwater pool and saltwater lagoons. They clean the lagoons every two weeks, (not weekly as some people say) and the "floors" do get a little slimey towards the end but are still 10,000 times cleaner than an ocean floor so I don't know how people can complain. It's sad seeing such a huge area go to waste though, they could use it so much better for activites, etc.

They need to give up the idea of the beach. It's a joke and don't know why anyone would even attempt to go down there. Maybe expand their diving operation, (no, I'm not a diver) or other type watersports.......but forget that little space they call a beach.

All in all, I had a decent time. Definitely wasn't my best holiday ever but also wasn't my worst. I probably would stay somewhere different if I ever had a reason to go back to Cebu.

• Liked — The quiet calm setting, never feeling crowded
  • Disliked — Service/Room troubles
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 87 in Cebu City
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,974 reviews

Been to Plantation Bay Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!