“plantation bay resort”

Plantation Bay Resort And Spa
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed June 3, 2013

expensive.....this a resort you don't need to leave....unbelievable....lot of stuff to do but you pay for it.if you are not short of a dollar I highly recommend this place..there is four restaurants if I remember right.there is a pool between each set of units and a lagoon style pool what covers the hole centre of the resort..lots of activities to do hear but like I sad you need lots of cash....

Room Tip: take heaps of money/they do have atm machines...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

Dear Don S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

There aren't many hotels and resorts in the world where you can enjoy various leisure facilities and activities (most of them free) as Plantation Bay. The next time you come back, make sure to try these: archery, wallclimbing, water volleyball, golf pitch-and-putt, fish-feeding, billiards, air-hockey, foosball, bicycle… And if you still have the time (and the strength), join our organized activities too like yoga, swimming lessons, Wii challenge and botanical tour, which are also free of charge.

There are newer reviews for Plantation Bay Resort And Spa

Reviewed May 30, 2013

My friends and I went to this hotel as daytrippers.

The staff are very much accommodating, the food was at its best, the place was clean and everywhere you go gives you a very relaxing ambiance.

It was such a great experience!
We were very much satisfied, and we'll surely be back on this hotel (spend the night to check out their rooms).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear SheM1227,

We're glad that you and your friends enjoyed your initial visit to Plantation Bay so much that you're planning to come back. A big thank you for sharing how you found our staff accommodating and the food excellent.

Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My second time actually and Plantation Bay never failed to impress me again.

The trip was a surprise invitation by my best friend. A day prior to the departure, I checked if the resort had something new to offer. But I saw same old stuffs…pools, lagoons and cottages. But when we arrived at the resort – everything looked new.

Plantation Bay, a resort set in a private waterway in Mactan Island, just 30 minutes away from Cebu City. The resort is laid out village-style, with its buildings spread out across the sprawling 11.4-hectare property.

My friend took the Quantum Villa for the entire weekend for her family. What is so nice choosing this part of the resort is the special handling of the staff…of course with the $1,000.00 per night rate. The villa can accommodate groups with 8 adults and 8 children or 12 adults.

Checking-in at the Quantum Villa is never an issue too. You don’t need to see the front desk officer and wait for the 12:00 checking-time. The van will bring you right at the gate of the villa and the resort staffs are waiting with all these shell necklaces and canned juices. And before you know it, your bags are delivered in your respective “house”. The service is superb and flawless.

The place looks like a shrunk villa. It has four rooms that look like houses in Tuscany. A big receiving/dining/bar area…a gazebo that sits in front of a pool made of black “stones”, but I call it a black pool. It feels homey and welcoming.

While everyone was busy unpacking their things, one staff ushered me to my suite… the Iguasu Lodge. It has a spacious sitting area with its own powder room, a bedroom with two comfortable full-size beds and a very spacious bathroom. The back door welcomes you to the veranda or an open-air lounge in front of the man-made beach. The spot is cool and shaded by mature acacia and kalachuchi trees: picture perfect for a postcard.

The breeze was cool even though the sun was at its peak. While majority of the guests preferred to stay in their respective cottages, few Korean nationals were seen frolicking. After I unpacked my things…I decided to try the Kalesa for a quick tour. Well, you have two other options, you can take the bicycle or the tram…or take a walk.

Plantation Bay is child friendly. The pools are not deep and warnings are everywhere. One can choose the man-made beach or the pool. I preferred the man-made beach just right in front of my veranda.

If you are the sporty type – you need not worry. The resort has lawn tennis court, firing range and a gym with indoor sports activities. Or you can jog around the resort. I had my first try on the treadmill. We had table tennis lessons and few tips on firing.

For water sports, Plantation Bay has one nice and deep area for jet skiing and snorkeling. You can play with the fish too. Just don’t forget to bring some bread crumbs. The beach area is short and it gets crowded during weekends.

The food is ok but I recommend the Fiji Restaurant or Kilimanjaru. You can also avail of their buffets; affordable and the charming. But on weekends, I suggest you take your meal at any of the restaurants and order ala carte as day trippers usually crowd the buffet areas.

I completed my weekend adventure with a foot massage at Mogambo Springs. It was so relaxing. The place is a reminiscent of one of my travels in Japan. The ambience and the accommodation are synonymous to bliss.

And bliss as I may call it, Plantation Bay just gave me the chance to plant good and lasting memories.

How to get there:
From Mactan Cebu International Airport, one can take a cab or a jeepney to Marigondon Beach Road. Plantation Bay Resort is on the left side of the road.

Room Tip: The resort is so honest. What you see in the internet is what you get when you check-in.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear GilKelly,

We are always adding something new to Plantation Bay and we're glad that on your second visit, you found it even better than you remembered.

Thank you for specifically mentioning how impressed you were with our VIP Express Package, which allows guests to check in and check out in the privacy of their room without passing through the lobby. It is an add-on service that many guests find convenient.

Thank you too for recounting the many ways to have fun in Plantation Bay. We're happy to learn that you made the most of your 3-day stay here, and even tried one of our soothing treatments at the Spa.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I will start by saying that we did not spend the night at this resort as we have a house nearby. However, being my wife's birthday, I decided to treat her and her friend to an afternoon at the local (and much talked about) Plantation Bay Resort. Yes, for P2000 ($50) each, you can enter the resort and enjoy all they have to offer without spending the night. Which isn't bad compared to their standard room rates of P10,000 ($250) per night double occupancy with breakfast. Also, with dinner reservations, admission is free and you are able to walk around the grounds, but can't use any of the facilities. Our stay lasted approximately 8 hours from 2:30 til 10:30pm.

Perhaps it being Philippine summer vacation, I found the amount of kids running around to be noisy and even disturbing at times while trying to relax or eat dinner. It seems that this place is somewhere to take your kids rather than escape them. Even at 10:30 when coming out of the bar, kids were still running around, shouting and playing in the sand.

Our lunch upon arrival consisted of 3 hotdogs with fries and 3 sprites at Savannah Grill. Although delicious, the portions seemed small and overpriced at just under P400 ($10) each. Dinner was at Kilimajaro Kafe, they have a full menu of international and local dishes. Prices and portions seemed more normal here, but the food quality was inconsistant and definately not what you would expect from a 5 star resort. The Philippines boasts beautiful fresh seafood, fish and fruit... no fruit garnishes, the jumbo shrimp was freezer burned and the fish was overcooked. On the other hand, my pancit with mussels and oyster sauce was perfectly done and was enough for 2. The staff then collectively sang a happy birthday song to my wife and presented her a candle lit COMPLEMENTARY slice of delicious chocolate cheesecake. After dinner, we walked to a small lounge that served huge martinis.

In closing, I would like to say that this place has many pros and cons alike. From their water slides, beautiful scenery, scuba/snorkeling, massive swimming/wading pools with sandy beach areas and friendly helpful staff. Along with the overpriced, inconsistant food, hyperactive kids, triple priced hotel drivers instead of taxi service and boarder-line groundskeeping. In my opinion, this place would suit families more than romantics or adult lifesyle tourists and is not worthy of the 5 star rating it claims to have. However, the "NO TIPS ALLOWED" policy is a bonus and my wife had a happy birthday there, so that counts for something.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank daveintoronto

Dear daveintoronto,

Definitely, Plantation Bay is not a place for people whose main mission is to get away from children. It is a place for people - whether families, couples, businessmen, or friends - who want to enjoy each other's company. We are sorry, therefore, that your eight-hour visit didn't meet your requirements for romance. (As we gather from your review, on your wife's birthday you came for a light lunch and hung around until past dinner.)

However, I would add that, were you to actually check in and stay here a few days, you would find all the romance anyone could want. Plantation Bay is quite large, and there are many secluded corners where lovers can relax alone during the day; or they can engage in more sporty activities at sea. Many of our swimming pools feature whirlpools, caves, or other features that invite snuggling. At sunset, many couples enjoy a drink on their private balconies overlooking our lagoons. On several evenings a week, there is either a saxophone or piano serenade.

Our rooms, too, are conducive for romance, with mahogany four-poster king-size beds and dreamy toile canopies. (Rooms for families have two queen beds.) If you are average Filipino size, you will also find that our custom-designed bathtubs are good for two and are - ahem - very well-designed indeed, if you have some imagination and initiative. (Almost all our rooms have this bathtub, but not all.)

Since as you say you live in the area, come by and we'd be happy to give you a personal tour which highlights the romantic aspects of Plantation Bay. Please send an email to: pr@plantationbay.com, citing this review.

Emmanuel Gonzalez
Managing Director

Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

we had a day tour last sunday and i had a grand time.the pools wer perfectly safe for my 3-year old son (on floaters).my hubby was kayaking and swimming through the pools.we ate burger at one of their restaurants near the pool w a volcano.the service was so personal as if we were the only customers there.it was like celebrating mother's day all over again.thanks plantation!we'll save up for a much longer stay in your resort...

• Stayed: May 2013
Plantation_Bay_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear Gracemon,

Thank you for the enthusiastic review! We are heartened by the fact that you especially felt pampered by our staff during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Plantation Bay soon.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Plantation Bay is the best of the Philippines. An easy 90 minute flight from Manila, and a free hotel shuttle takes you to the resort, and back to the airport. The resort is huge, with salt and fresh water pools the size of football fields. Swim up bars for adults, and water slides for kids. Most pools are 3ft deep so safe for children. Deep waters are clearly marked. Whirlpool/jacuzzi are integrated with the pools. Wade through 3ft water to an island hammock to relax. The spa goes on and on with all services. It is an adventure in relaxation by itself. Wireless internet is high speed (25Mbs) throughout the resort. Easy to upload FB photos. The rooms are comfortable, air conditioned, with soft beds. Bath is excellent. Electric taxis take you around the resort. The restaurants are plentiful and delicious. Every night is an island show spectacular. Brazil one night, Hawaiian the next. The ocean view/beach is inspiring. All around the best of the Philippines. The staff is plentiful, helpful, and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Jesse H,

We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your recent family holiday with us, and that you consider Plantation Bay the best resort in the Philippines. And yes, with the resort’s various leisure activities and facilities and our having an environment that truly feels away from it all, we literally are "an adventure in relaxation by itself."

Thanks again for the high praise.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Let me start by saying how disappointing I am because my first review here was deleted for unknown reason.

I've been hearing good things about the resort and so we decided to visit this. The resort is definitely beautiful especially the lagoons, but it doesn't stop there.

Place is dirty and not maintained, a lot of dead leaves around the resort and lagoons. Very dangerous especially if guests stepped on it when walking.

Food is poor. I am in Cebu, I dont understand why they are serving poor quality food.
Here are the complete list of food served when we stayed here.

Canned Sprite
Greens ( Salad )

Dessert:
2 types of cupcakes
Leche Flan

Worst food for a 5 Star Resort. Cebu offeres delicous FRUITS and NONE was served, not even Mangoes or Bananas.

I've been to several 5 Star Resorts in the country but this is the only one that is charging fees for using bike (Non Motorized) and Wii and other electronic devices.

BTW again, Php 130.00 for a small bottle of Gatorade is too much, you're staff don't even want to sell it because he knows himself that the price is way over than the SRP.

Very few staff for Summer, not to mention, it was a Sunday. Staff are unfriendly, won't even look at their guests to check their needs.

Will definitely not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
16  Thank roadlesstravelled1
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear TripAdvisor Reader:

This person's first review was deleted by TripAdvisor because it was abusive and non-factual.

This second review is equally intended by the reviewer to misrepresent the facts. This person did not stay at the hotel, but only had lunch here, based on the menu cited.

Our bicycles are free for guests (for the first hour), but not for those who are just patronizing the restaurants.

Most resorts in Mactan almost exclusively feature coconuts, which don't shed leaves. To create an immersive "plantation" atmosphere and to achieve a 2-degree Centigrade cooler air temperature than other resorts on the island, Plantation Bay is heavily-planted with acacias, narras, mahogany, breadfruit, talisays, banaba, jacarandas, flame trees, calachuchi (frangipani), rubber, mangrove, and even a few specimen Palawan cherries (filled with white blossoms every spring, just like the famous Washington DC cherry blossom trees). There are some coconuts, too, as well as many species of bamboo (yes, we know that bamboo is a grass, not a tree), and assorted vines, like jasmine and Lady of the Night, which emit a haunting fragrance for all our guests to enjoy. We rake leaves continuously, but there are always some leaves on the ground and in the lagoons.

Anyone who considers this a negative should absolutely avoid Plantation Bay, and book at just about any other resort in Mactan, where you can be sure of 100% leaf-free grounds landscaped entirely with lovely coconuts.

Our Gatorade is indeed priced at P130, about $3. To someone like this reviewer who claims to be outraged that we charge more than "SRP" (Suggested Retail Price, in a supermarket), we can only say that this comment is unreasonable and would not be shared by most people.

Emmanuel Gonzalez

#9 of 43 in Mactan Island
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 91 in Cebu City

Been to Plantation Bay Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!