“Nice well maintained resort with balconies to enjoy the outdoor fresh air”

Plantation Bay Resort And Spa
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We booked 2 poolside rooms at plantation bay resort for a total of 3 nights. We had a great experience staying here for 1 night after a long flight from Australia, my family jumped right in the swimming pool to cool off and had a great time. The pools and lagoons are clean and treated daily. After our trip outside of Cebu I rebooked for another 2 nights at plantation bay prior to departing for Australia. Airport transfer was well managed. Breakfast at the Kilimanjaro cafe was good variety for everyone. Staff was very caring and attentive delivered paper and afternoon sweets to our door. The only downside was one of the rooms has a strong smell of cigar when we opened it. However this was quickly fixed with the cleaner coming in to freshen it up. I know there are certain tourists that are smokers they should be separated into certain rooms. Perhaps I suggest have non-smoking rooms reserved for people who don't smoke. Overall my experience was good and we will be back to this resort.

Room Tip: Poolside room with 2 double beds for family and nice balcony.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear MB930,

It's nice to know that you enjoyed your initial stay so much that after your other travels, you came back to stay for two more nights prior to returning to Australia.

Our breakfast buffet offers an astonishing range of food items and we're glad you appreciated their quality and variety.

We look forward to your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Plantation Bay Resort And Spa

Reviewed January 30, 2013

To the pastry chef who made the croissants and danish pastries for breakfast, those were simply melt in your mouth! Those were the best I've ever had! Hotel staff are very accommodating. One thing for sure, they never make their guests wait. This is why I keep on coming back. I brought friends with me, this time. And all they can say was, wow.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear TracyLegaspi,

It is always a pleasure to read about Plantation Bay's returning guests having another enjoyable stay at the resort.

Many guests who have traveled to Europe and the US agree that our croissants and Danish pastries are the best, or comparable to the best, they've ever had. From our own patisserie, these crispy-flaky treats are only two of our specialty food items available at the coffee shop’s world-famous Breakfast Buffet with different culinary themes for every day of the week.

And thank you for sharing your photo. Our pastry chefs appreciate your compliments.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We just arrived back to Australia from plantation bay and It was honestly a great hotel to be at , it made our holiday so enjoyable compared the original places we stayed at! Very beautiful place with the plants and lagoons and man made water slides/ features everywhere! Food was always great, best steak I've ever had at the savannah bar, well worth the extra bit of money! They even have special buffet nights where u can tell they put a lot of effort in for both the themed party for the night, the dances and of course the food, very enjoyable! Rooms were all great, quite interesting as we had a big group of friends there to see how alot of the rooms had a different unique touch, was very 1st class! But the stand out of this place is the customer service, it was amazing! Every door was opened for you with a smile, basically anything u asked for or needed they went out of there way to do it, one time we even went jet skiing and lost our deposable camera in the ocean and one of the staff actually went back out there to find it even know it was like findin a needle in a haystack! A special thanks to pro, yan, Israel and the rest of the crew at the savannah bar for making our trip enjoyable, any other place we would have been kicked out for being to rowdy and being bad karaoke singers lol but they all got into it with us and made our nights worth while! The only negative thing was just the price for getting laundry done, the airport lost our luggage so we needed a bit done and that totalled the majority of our bill being around $300 aud, so I'd suggest taking enough clothes for the stay or taking it outside however in saying that it did come back spotless all ironed and places perfectly in vac pac bags! And the only other negative was not being able to tip the guys, the service was that great you just wanted to tip them but it has a no tip policy, we actually bought some stubby coolers and some chocolate to try get around it and give to them but did not work! We are missing the place already, can't wait to get back there in the future, well worth every cent paid!!!! Thanks guys

Chris and Amy (ut01)

• Stayed: January 2013
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear Chris and Amy,

At Plantation Bay, it is not unusual to find people who go the extra mile to better serve our guests. We're glad you appreciated our efforts and everyone from your group had a good time.

And thank you for the high praise on our food, especially for rating our US Angus Prime Rib Steak the best you’ve ever had.

We look forward to welcoming you back here in the near future.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

From the shuttle service and greeting. I already know the hotel standards are quite good. Everyone seems to be very knowlegeable and eager to help. The restaurants were good and clean. The rooms spotless and the shuttle from one end of the hotel to the other end needs a lil bit of work interms for time for pick up. But no big deal they try to accommodate you.

This place is very expensive. A total North american price. So prepare to spend. Buffet breakfast was 950php with average set up of meals. themed dinner for 1750php for buffet. So needless to say bring lots of money if you're a family of 3-4

I would stay in this hotel again. I needed more than 2 nights to really explore this resort. I like the service overall and the warm stay.

My son loved the kalesa rides.

See you guys nextime.

Room Tip: The lagoon side is interesting to stay at. We booked 3 rooms all together.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear VancouverRho,

We're glad that everyone in your family enjoyed their stay at Plantation Bay and that you found our staff helpful.

Most of our a la carte items are good for sharing. When you visit us next time, please remind us of your comment about prices, so we can help you make cost-effective choices on our food.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Sleeping under an elegant four-poster king-sized bed was a dream. Stepping out from the back of your room directly into the lagoon was amazing. Breakfast was delightful - quite an extensive buffet but what made it totally different was the selection of breakfast items - very different from the usual offerings. Imagine eating buttery cookies that melt it the mouth with a side of blueberry and cherry compote for breakfast! Wow. Buttery croissants and pan au chocolat were of the highest quality. Omelettes and Asian breakfast food, side by side - each one with a twist that made it really special. Homemade ice cream galore, and the freshest seafood for dinner in the most romantic setting. Something as simple as Buko (coconut hisk) came Ice cold - they must have frozen the whole coconut just to get it to that refreshing temp. I never had it like that before. The list goes on and on. The SPA experience was so relaxing especially in that beautiful, serene setting. A No Tipping policy is truly in place in this little paradise that leaves you to enjoy yourself stress free - no need to bring money around and no computations to worry about. They seem to have thought of everything to make families and friends free to bond better through the never ending activities this place offers. I need to stay longer next time.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sylvia C

Dear Sylvia C,

Thank you so much for the kind words about the food, which we really put a lot of effort into. We're glad to know that you had a gastronomic feast with our culinary treats and that you found our spa uniquely charming.

With Plantation Bay’s No-Tipping Policy, all our guests are accorded excellent service without worrying about when, how much, or whom to tip.

We look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is actually my second time staying at Plantation Bay, the first time having been way back in 1999 when I accompanied a friend and his family. At the time I was already impressed with the facilities (particularly the man-made lagoons and pools) and the friendliness of the staff, but was a little put off by the hefty price tag which came on top of our 3days/2nights junket. Like what some of the previous reviewers have already pointed out, save for the unlimited use of the pools and gym/gameroom as well as some of the sports facilities, everything else costs extra--even the buffet breakfast, which is usually included in the room rate in other hotel resorts. Now, if I had been asked then to rate the resort, I would have probably given it a 3 out of 5 stars. But, like I said, that was THEN; the present is another thing entirely.

This time around, I went back to Plantation Bay with my husband for a 4days/3nights respite from being the parents of a rambunctious, but very lovable 1 1/2 year old toddler (whom we left in the care of her doting aunt and grandmother). My choice was borne mainly out of curiosity--I wanted to see if the resort has maintained the facilities which have so impressed me years earlier. I also let myself be lured in by the spa package the resort offered at the same price per day as the smaller poolside rooms. And I must say, I was very pleasantly surprised when we finally got to the resort! Not only had Plantation Bay maintained its impressive facilities as good as new, they have improved on it as well. The room that has been reserved for us for the spa package was in fact located at the newly built (since 2006?) and Zen-inspired Mogambo Springs, the complex that now houses the resort's spa facilities (hot and cold jacuzzis, massage rooms, and saunas). The staff, of course, were just as friendly and helpful as in my previous stay. But what really made me smile is that we didn't just get one hour of complimentary massage and bath like I thought was included in the package--we got one hour each for my husband and myself, for each night of our stay! In addition, we also got unlimited free use of the jacuzzis and the saunas, on top of the unlimited use of the resort's other recreational facilities. The breakfast buffet, as with the other meals, still costs extra though... But I don't mind, especially since they also serve very good food in all the four restaurants at the resort. I would still give Plantation Bay a 5 out of 5 stars.

By the way, Plantation Bay practices a strict NO TIPPING policy. So don't be offended if the staff refuses you each time you try to give any of them a tip ;-)

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine F
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Dear katta819,

We are pleased to read that you found the facilities well-maintained, and that you were highly satisfied with your experience at our Spa.

We appreciate your well-balanced comment that, though some of our prices seemed high, this was understandable because of the quality offered. Actually, most of our charges are comparable to or lower than those of our main competitors in Cebu. For example, a typical massage treatment at Plantation Bay costs about $50, vs. $100 at a competing hotel in Mactan, and $200-300 at most 5-star resorts around the world.

Thanks again for the kind sentiments. We look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at Plantation Bay in Cebu Philippines over the Christmas and New Year Holiday season in 2012/2013. I must say it is the best resort in Asia! Chef Mario and his team are outstanding! Chef Mario made everyone feel welcomed as if he was the owner himself of this fine establishment. He cooked with his staff, walked around to greet people at their table and even sang some great music. The food was wonderful, the service impeccable and the demeanor of the staff was of the filled with Filipino hospitality, warmth, and style. The salt water lagoons with the natural vegetation made you feel as if you were living a dream come true, and you are! Western hoteliers should take direction from Plantation Bay as this is a best in class hotel. This is the hidden jewel of the Orient! My only regret is that I believe this will be a top destination for world travelers and my secret is now out in the open. Best of luck to Plantation Bay as I will be back to visit soon.

Room Tip: All rooms were outstanding
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Craig E
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear Craig E,

Thank you for the glowing review. We are very pleased to hear that you found Plantation Bay a gem of a destination.

We have passed on to everyone your comments about our exemplary service and Chef Mario and the rest of our staff appreciate your compliments.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#9 of 42 in Mactan Island
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 91 in Cebu City

Been to Plantation Bay Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!