“what a great place and people”

Plantation Bay Resort And Spa
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Singapore, Singapore
“what a great place and people”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

every thing was perfect from beginning to start.
me and my girlfriend had one day in cebu and we got to hear from friends about this resort,so we took the chance and went there to see how is it like.
good decission.
we got a very warm welcome from the duty manager carms and all front office staff.after we discovered all the great facilities this resort has we got to choose one of the four restaurants for our lunch.wondering arround in the lagoon we meet by accident the executive headchef from malta named mario.he explained us the differnet options and we decided to go for the fiji restaurant,where the serve asian food and seafood on the highest level.was really brilliant.

we still had a few hours to spear so we wanted to have a little relaxing time before going back to singapore.NO BETTER PLACE THAN THERE FANTASTIC SPA.we took 2 different treatments and were well advised by the well trained staff.a must when you visit the resort.

at the end we had a snack in the 24 hour open kilimanjaro cafe,which is an open restaurant in the center of the resort.great selection of all different cuisines there.

there lagoons and differnt salt and freshwater pools are amazing.i have never seen something like this.
we will be soon and stay longer than one day.
highly recommended for couples,families.....actulally for everyone

Room Tip: rooms next to the water are amazing!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank leugo
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear leugo,

Thank you for the encouraging review. It's nice to read about how your friends recommended Plantation Bay to you and how your great stay had you recommending the resort to couples and families and convinced you to stay with us longer on your next visit.

We're glad too that you enjoyed your dining experience in Fiji and Kilimanjaro Kafe and found our lagoons and pools impressive.

And a big thank you for recommending our "fantastic" spa as a must-experience treat and for lauding our people. We're heartened by your kind words and Chef Mario and Carms especially appreciate your compliments.

Efren P. Belarmino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Maryborough, Australia
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I LOVE this place, food is pricey but its good. Many things to do ! Lots of places around to do nothing, GREAT man-made lakes, BYO your own Sprits,coke, chips,nuts ect.....as this stuff is much cheaper from the supermarket in lapu lapu

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank DJB408
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear DJB408,

We are delighted to learn that, coming all the way from Australia, you consider Plantation Bay the best resort in the Philippines. Thank you for the high praise and for sharing your love of our good food and the wide array of activities we have for everyone to enjoy.

Like you, some of our guests prefer to use the in-room mini-fridge to store drinks, chocolates, and snacks acquired elsewhere, and that is why we provide a mini-fridge (empty) rather than a minibar (stocked with items that most guests don't want). Still, for guests who prefer a minibar setup, we are happy to oblige with their preferred drinks.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed November 15, 2012

lets be honest with ourselves this is a special place..sure it might not be perfect for all however we had lots of fun,sun,serenity and most of al a very relaxing time.Plantation Bay to me is where we all wish we could be while we hard at it at work to stop and take a breathe from the world..you dont come here to hellraise and party hard..a place where you can take you family with absolute safety and great memories and or just with your partner enjoying a real romantic break away..the swimming areas are second to none...i just loved the water everywhere..the slides are cool and the design of the pools are excellently arranged for all ..the customer satisfaction is always paramount and manners are first class...the food is cannot be faulted..prices for western standards of this quality is fair...the menu could of had some daily small changes or specials or cheaper buffet breakfast maybe...the spa section of this huge place is a must visit..we loved it..we were lucky to be treated to this because our pool area in front of us was being drained and its was well worth the small inconvenience..also very well handled by staff when we arrived that day..the rooms are spacious the bed was a little hard for me.but hey thats life..in all we had a dream time and our photos and memories are triple the worth of the money that was outlaid..well done platation bay..great in all areas of total relaxtion..thanks heaps sean..see you again i hope..ps...cebu is a very nice place to visit..if you get a chance bohol for a day is well worth the journey..bye

Room Tip: waters edge room is the best for water lovers.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sean b
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear sean b,

It's nice going through your photos and reading about your relaxing and romantic Plantation Bay getaway. Our chefs too appreciate your kind comments about our food.

A big thank you for complimenting our first class service and for recommending our spa as a must-see destination.

Thanks again for the kind sentiments. We look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Okay, let's be fair, we're spoilt, have been to some absolutely great places and consequently have high expectations. Several friends have been here, 2/3rds said it was the best place EVER (always a big claim) while 1/3rd said terrible things. I'm never going on holiday with 2/3rds of my friends.

Where to begin...
The size of the resort, decent.
Layout, decent, scrunch your eyes up and it looks really nice!
Style, big lagoons, loads of greenery, trees plants, bushes etc, properties wrapped around the lagoons and pools..., endless salt or freshwater swimming, little enclaves of rooms wrapped around other pools, all very nice, and one safe internal 'trunk' road wrapping around it all, with only the resort's electric buggies which will pick and drop you if you are insanely lazy.

The rooms, ... Are ok, reasonable size, quite generous by some measures, bathrooms finished in marble and what looks like limestone, has a bit of style, shower takes an age to heat up, but hey ur on holiday so chill out, shower door leaks like crazy flooding the room around the toilet, meh. Bed, nice grand looking 4-poster bed, mattress very comfy. We did notice the rooms get a little damp feeling after a couple days, probably explains why several rooms are left 'airing out' in wait for new arrivals, but we're from hk, know about humidity and the rooms are surrounding a huge lagoon, so not that strange. The towels... Start of the pikey caravan-park management... No face towels, no had towels, no floor towels, so ur always brushing sand off u on the edge of the bed before getting in. U can't drink the water, and you are issued 1 bottle of water per day, the 'Butler' chap reinforced this on our arrival-more pikey-ness. The minibar fridge is empty, if u want from the minibar, call room service/reception... So, that's not minibar then, why? Can only presume too much trouble with bill disputes??' oh yeah, and the warning on the bathroom mirror, dont take souvenir towels home, hmm always amazes me who'd do that anyway, but the warning also says - Don't take the linen..?!! Do people steal bed sheets?? Seriously? As i said, Caravan park.

The service, there's no malice, that seems certain, the staff seem nice, maybe not all quite on the ball, but it's low season, lethargy creeps in. You ask and you'll get, eventually, you might need to go behind the counter and help them find stuff, but you'll get there! We tried room service, it was prompt and food warm, we kept it simple, burgers n sandwiches. We asked for late checkout, initially were told it will cost half a day, did point out we'd arrived at 5am having paid up the entire previous day at our choice, they quickly conceded a 3pm check out, quite decent of them, granted its low season and the resort was dead, but they didn't have to! And they let us stay on resort til our 7ish pm airport transfer, all decent and equitable I'd say.

Facilities.... There are kayaks to take a spin round the lagoon, but is it really necessary to charge for that? Again, pikey. There's a games room, a few free games, we were killing time in a thunderstorm waiting for airport transfer, it ticked over 6pm, only people in the whole games room, had to pay for the rental of the ping pong ball... Whatever, small money, paid it, but again, pikey!

Pools... There's endless pools, water does seem clean, but the snobs among you will be hesitant on getting in because of the leaves all floating along the sides, but it is all natural debris from the nice greenery surrounding, I only saw one piece of littler in the whole time, probably blown off a balcony in the overnight thunderstorm, otherwise it was litter free. My big bug bear was the quality of finish, it's all fake sand banks and concrete pool base, u can see its all cracked, u can see the joins, and over by the sluices between lagoons this grim bit of roped off area all browny and nasty - i didt want to swim to close myself - if I had kids, I couldn't relax with them anywhere near it.
Some of the lagoon was very slimy underfoot, one area I had to give up trying to walk and just swim, mouth clamped shut as my imagination did overtime on what the slime was, bleurgh!
There are a few little water slides, this is not a water theme park though, but a few bits for kids to enjoy, and the kids did seen to enjoy themselves. My summary, I enjoyed floating as a dead man in the salty lagoon, wasn't salty as the sea but enough I mate it easy to bob around, but my impression is almost that the lagoon is disgusting mostly in aesthetics... Needs overhauled badly! While on the pools bit, let's get back to the towels issue... You need to hand a 'token' to receive one towel a day per person, apparently it doesn't matter that it gets wet and you want a dry one, though I don't know how they'd police that, you are handed back a random token when you 'turn in' your towel... But anway, again... my bug bear... it's so 'low-rent'.... PIKEY PIKEY PIKEY!!

Restaurants...
Kilimanjaro, the buffet place (also does a la carte). Breakfast buffet.... ABSOLUTELY AWFUL. 6 Bain maries of terrible food, dead lifeless burned tasteless, awful, truly awful food! If you could go -ve on the value for money on this point, my rating would be extreme. There was a nice chap making fresh omelettes, he was run off his feet, was running out of eggs and cheese.... How does an omelette stand run out of these?! His mates didn't seem interested to help run the ingredients for him, so he was struggling, but it was a nice omelette when we got it!

Later that afternoon we went wandering
Looking for juice and ice cream, harder than you would expect! Palermo cafe couldn't offer ice cream, saying savannah grill did ice cream (they thought) but not take away ('it's too hot'), oh but not til later so, fail. Carried on the walk to the Fiji restaurant, same, no ice cream, but got 2 juices to take away, something like usd6 for one fresh orange juice, and it was good and genuinely fresh, but jings crivens help ma boab!

So, savannah grill next day lunch, expecting a good steak, fail... It's a trashy burger/wings/hotdog joint. We skipped it for lunch but returned early evening as the only customers for over an hour, as the wings were quite nice! Bit worried that the woman swiped my credit card in two different machines without explanation... Watching the bill closely next few days, I'll know where it went wrong if so, should be ok though, seemed to have BPI logo on it and I was using amex, maybe needs different terminal to visa cards and staff all seemed honest ... fingers xd :-)

So, lunch option was... Kilimanjaro again, buffet... We're open minded, so gave it one more crack... The same 6 Bain maries, that's your choice for the entire lunch buffet (plus nice salad and soup), and the food this time was nice, just not much choice, can't be an off season thing either as theres no more room for other food vessels.

Back to Palermo cafe, we stopped off for a cuppa, a 10 minute farce ensued trying to teach the difference between tea bags, again no malice just blatantly no idea what they were doing. We had a pork pie there too, I struggled not to sick it out, but my mrs seemed fine.

What else... There's a spa, apparently decent, but this comes from the same group of soon to be ex-friends. We didn't try, though it had a decent gang outside keen to get in. Prices were as 5*, which I strongly insist this place is nowhere near.

Karaoke room over by the grill, dead when we there. Pitch n putt, tiny, would have tried if weather was better. Climbing wall, archery etc, so some entertainment stuff. Beach, small, clean, calm water, didn't try though.

There is no way whatsoever or howsoever that this is or ever was a 5* resort. If it sorted itself out wth extensive pool/lagoonthen vs the competition I'd concede it can be a 4* family destination, right now it's 3.25-3.5*, so u probably round down... 3*. It's size is great, The idea is great, if I came here as a kid I'd have a blast!

Overall, none of my friends will be going here on my referral. We went to Crimson before and had sent a very demanding friend there who also supported our opinion of Crimson as 'very small but infinitely better finished' resort. The crimson food was really great, pool side waiting service, cleanliness all great, towels, rooms were mostly smaller with inferior views tho, my mrs tried the spa at crimson saying it was ok, just so-so, and although there was a kids crèche area there, I think kids would have more fun at Plantation... My parting thought, if you can afford the time and money, go to Bali! Good luck choosing your holiday!

• Stayed November 2012
10 Thank RC_SK_12
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear TripAdvisor Readers:

In this lengthy commentary, the reviewer admits that almost everything about her stay was very satisfactory or better. Yet, she managed to turn every positive comment into a negative. For example, she asked for and was granted a late departure, yet she was displeased. The lagoons were described as clean, yet she focused on some floating leaves. The bed was a wooden 4-poster and the room was clean, the bathrooms were marble and stone - yet she contrived to make it sound as if she was still faintly dissatisfied. Our room service was prompt and efficient, yet she sniffed that the hamburger was "warm", as if this is supposed to be a minus. She acknowledged that our spa looked inviting, yet she refused to try it.

Upon checking her only other TripAdvisor review, we discovered that it was for a suite in Bali that may have cost 3 or 4 times her room in Plantation Bay. Indeed, her standards must be very high.

Makati
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed for 3 days at this resort with my family. Its not a new resort but its well maintained. Since its quite far from the city center, we hired a van to take us for a city tour. But being far from the city is not a let down for this resort, it has lots of activities for the kids and adults to enjoy. My first time to do archery here.

Room was clean, service was efficient. Had the toilet fixed coz the storage tank is not filling quickly and it was fixed promptly. Food in restaurant was quite expensive for my standard. Aircon was cool, linens and pillows are comfortable. A good place to do lots of activities or just relax by the man made beach.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Derreck R
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Derreck R,

Plantation Bay does its best to make sure our guests need not go far to relax and have fun and we are happy that you had such an enjoyable experience during your stay.

A big thank you for mentioning that our service is excellent and that we have a lot of activities to entertain the whole family.

Lapu Lapu, Philippines
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 5 days here at Plantation Bay Resort is nice Surrounded with waters well done gardens, our room is romantic with green plant around our terace & infront of the pool really peaceful ,and staff are so kindly, and after 5 days my boyfriend decide to visite Bohol, so during our checkout i asked the receptionist if we could book a room for the next 2weeks so we could stay and celebrate Sinulog after visiting Bohol and she said Yes i will book for you and of-course with credit cards detail as a guarantee, so for the mean time we really enjoyed our permanence at Bohol and i decide to call Plantation Bay Cebu to exchange the date of our arrival into the next 5days and she answered me, Yes Mom but keep notice that the payment for this week of stay is already made.. And no other way to take it back.. Hhhmm was really bad feeling to give my money so easy and i said okey then we come on that date no need to change...so for next time i know not to give my credit card detail....

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Brooke G
Dear Brooke G,

We're glad that you found your room romantic, the gardens lush and the landscape well-done, and the staff kind. It is nice too that you experienced Cebu's acclaimed Sinulog Festival when you were here.

For non-peak dates, Plantation Bay allows changes to or cancellation of one's reservations 2 days before arrival whereas other hotels require at least a week's notice.

Thank you for your review.

Adelaide
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed at Plantation Bay Resort for one week mid October with my husband and 18month old. As my husband was in Cebu for work, we wanted somewhere that I could stay with my daughter that I wouldn't have to leave for much. Plantation Bay certainly delivered in that sense.
From the time that we arrived, the service was standout. As it was my birthday the day that I arrived, my husband had presented me with a bunch of flowers. At check-in, the staff asked the reason for the flowers and I told them. About 1hr later there was a knock at our bedroom door and two staff presented me with a birthday cake, with my name on it and a candle! I was so touched! This great service continued throughout our entire stay. The staff were the loveliest I have ever come across, and they were all completely in love with my daughter as well and she lapped up the attention!
Our room was in the Lebron Hall block on the first floor, and we found this room to be of a decent size. The bathroom was nice although the bathtub was a little bit odd shaped for bathing a toddler in, it was a lovely shape for a bath for one! We loved the balcony area, and sat out there most nights overlooking the lagoon.
The facilities were great - my daughter loved the children's room and the park, plus the fish pond and bird in the lobby. We also rode a horse and cart back from the lobby to our room one day! How fun! They are extremely family friendly, even loaning us a pram for our stay and never being short of highchairs for us to use in the restaurants.My husband and I loved the main swimming pool and the swim up bar. We didn;t get to go to any of the themed nights, due to having a little one in tow, but they sounded like they were fun.
There is also free internet in your room, if you have a laptop. It was very fast too.
The only negatives about the place were as follows:
The food was quite expensive, especially by Filipino standards. It was also not that good. The best meal I had was at the FIJI restaurant, but I had a lot of way better meals at quite upmarket Cebu restaurants for far less. The breakfast was especially expensive at close to $25AU/head. It was good, but other hotels have included buffets similar to this as part of the overall room price. In the end, we got room service continental breakfast most mornings at about $12/head but was substantial with yoghurt, fruit, coffee, a croissant and 3 danishes.
The lagoon pools were also a tad slimy on the bottom (the main pool, with the bar was very clean though). We just skipped the lagoons and swam in the main pool.
Overall, we had a great week here. It was like a giant hotel funpark! I didn't mind the fact that it was all man made at all. Loved the theme and thought they did it well! It's just a shame about the food and the pricing of it as if I was to stay in Cebu for longer than a few days again I may look elsewhere as our final bill was quite high.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank NNY264
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear NNY264,

Thank you for sharing how touching your birthday celebration went and how your daughter had a great time at Plantation Bay. It was our pleasure to provide you with the "standout” service that made your week-long stay memorable.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#9 of 42 in Mactan Island
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 89 in Cebu City

Been to Plantation Bay Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!