“fun food faraway”

Plantation Bay Resort And Spa
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed November 15, 2012

lets be honest with ourselves this is a special place..sure it might not be perfect for all however we had lots of fun,sun,serenity and most of al a very relaxing time.Plantation Bay to me is where we all wish we could be while we hard at it at work to stop and take a breathe from the world..you dont come here to hellraise and party hard..a place where you can take you family with absolute safety and great memories and or just with your partner enjoying a real romantic break away..the swimming areas are second to none...i just loved the water everywhere..the slides are cool and the design of the pools are excellently arranged for all ..the customer satisfaction is always paramount and manners are first class...the food is cannot be faulted..prices for western standards of this quality is fair...the menu could of had some daily small changes or specials or cheaper buffet breakfast maybe...the spa section of this huge place is a must visit..we loved it..we were lucky to be treated to this because our pool area in front of us was being drained and its was well worth the small inconvenience..also very well handled by staff when we arrived that day..the rooms are spacious the bed was a little hard for me.but hey thats life..in all we had a dream time and our photos and memories are triple the worth of the money that was outlaid..well done platation bay..great in all areas of total relaxtion..thanks heaps sean..see you again i hope..ps...cebu is a very nice place to visit..if you get a chance bohol for a day is well worth the journey..bye

Room Tip: waters edge room is the best for water lovers.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sean b
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Dear sean b,

It's nice going through your photos and reading about your relaxing and romantic Plantation Bay getaway. Our chefs too appreciate your kind comments about our food.

A big thank you for complimenting our first class service and for recommending our spa as a must-see destination.

Thanks again for the kind sentiments. We look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Efren P. Belarmino

Write a ReviewReviews (1,875)

Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Okay, let's be fair, we're spoilt, have been to some absolutely great places and consequently have high expectations. Several friends have been here, 2/3rds said it was the best place EVER (always a big claim) while 1/3rd said terrible things. I'm never going on holiday with 2/3rds of my friends.

Where to begin...
The size of the resort, decent.
Layout, decent, scrunch your eyes up and it looks really nice!
Style, big lagoons, loads of greenery, trees plants, bushes etc, properties wrapped around the lagoons and pools..., endless salt or freshwater swimming, little enclaves of rooms wrapped around other pools, all very nice, and one safe internal 'trunk' road wrapping around it all, with only the resort's electric buggies which will pick and drop you if you are insanely lazy.

The rooms, ... Are ok, reasonable size, quite generous by some measures, bathrooms finished in marble and what looks like limestone, has a bit of style, shower takes an age to heat up, but hey ur on holiday so chill out, shower door leaks like crazy flooding the room around the toilet, meh. Bed, nice grand looking 4-poster bed, mattress very comfy. We did notice the rooms get a little damp feeling after a couple days, probably explains why several rooms are left 'airing out' in wait for new arrivals, but we're from hk, know about humidity and the rooms are surrounding a huge lagoon, so not that strange. The towels... Start of the pikey caravan-park management... No face towels, no had towels, no floor towels, so ur always brushing sand off u on the edge of the bed before getting in. U can't drink the water, and you are issued 1 bottle of water per day, the 'Butler' chap reinforced this on our arrival-more pikey-ness. The minibar fridge is empty, if u want from the minibar, call room service/reception... So, that's not minibar then, why? Can only presume too much trouble with bill disputes??' oh yeah, and the warning on the bathroom mirror, dont take souvenir towels home, hmm always amazes me who'd do that anyway, but the warning also says - Don't take the linen..?!! Do people steal bed sheets?? Seriously? As i said, Caravan park.

The service, there's no malice, that seems certain, the staff seem nice, maybe not all quite on the ball, but it's low season, lethargy creeps in. You ask and you'll get, eventually, you might need to go behind the counter and help them find stuff, but you'll get there! We tried room service, it was prompt and food warm, we kept it simple, burgers n sandwiches. We asked for late checkout, initially were told it will cost half a day, did point out we'd arrived at 5am having paid up the entire previous day at our choice, they quickly conceded a 3pm check out, quite decent of them, granted its low season and the resort was dead, but they didn't have to! And they let us stay on resort til our 7ish pm airport transfer, all decent and equitable I'd say.

Facilities.... There are kayaks to take a spin round the lagoon, but is it really necessary to charge for that? Again, pikey. There's a games room, a few free games, we were killing time in a thunderstorm waiting for airport transfer, it ticked over 6pm, only people in the whole games room, had to pay for the rental of the ping pong ball... Whatever, small money, paid it, but again, pikey!

Pools... There's endless pools, water does seem clean, but the snobs among you will be hesitant on getting in because of the leaves all floating along the sides, but it is all natural debris from the nice greenery surrounding, I only saw one piece of littler in the whole time, probably blown off a balcony in the overnight thunderstorm, otherwise it was litter free. My big bug bear was the quality of finish, it's all fake sand banks and concrete pool base, u can see its all cracked, u can see the joins, and over by the sluices between lagoons this grim bit of roped off area all browny and nasty - i didt want to swim to close myself - if I had kids, I couldn't relax with them anywhere near it.
Some of the lagoon was very slimy underfoot, one area I had to give up trying to walk and just swim, mouth clamped shut as my imagination did overtime on what the slime was, bleurgh!
There are a few little water slides, this is not a water theme park though, but a few bits for kids to enjoy, and the kids did seen to enjoy themselves. My summary, I enjoyed floating as a dead man in the salty lagoon, wasn't salty as the sea but enough I mate it easy to bob around, but my impression is almost that the lagoon is disgusting mostly in aesthetics... Needs overhauled badly! While on the pools bit, let's get back to the towels issue... You need to hand a 'token' to receive one towel a day per person, apparently it doesn't matter that it gets wet and you want a dry one, though I don't know how they'd police that, you are handed back a random token when you 'turn in' your towel... But anway, again... my bug bear... it's so 'low-rent'.... PIKEY PIKEY PIKEY!!

Restaurants...
Kilimanjaro, the buffet place (also does a la carte). Breakfast buffet.... ABSOLUTELY AWFUL. 6 Bain maries of terrible food, dead lifeless burned tasteless, awful, truly awful food! If you could go -ve on the value for money on this point, my rating would be extreme. There was a nice chap making fresh omelettes, he was run off his feet, was running out of eggs and cheese.... How does an omelette stand run out of these?! His mates didn't seem interested to help run the ingredients for him, so he was struggling, but it was a nice omelette when we got it!

Later that afternoon we went wandering
Looking for juice and ice cream, harder than you would expect! Palermo cafe couldn't offer ice cream, saying savannah grill did ice cream (they thought) but not take away ('it's too hot'), oh but not til later so, fail. Carried on the walk to the Fiji restaurant, same, no ice cream, but got 2 juices to take away, something like usd6 for one fresh orange juice, and it was good and genuinely fresh, but jings crivens help ma boab!

So, savannah grill next day lunch, expecting a good steak, fail... It's a trashy burger/wings/hotdog joint. We skipped it for lunch but returned early evening as the only customers for over an hour, as the wings were quite nice! Bit worried that the woman swiped my credit card in two different machines without explanation... Watching the bill closely next few days, I'll know where it went wrong if so, should be ok though, seemed to have BPI logo on it and I was using amex, maybe needs different terminal to visa cards and staff all seemed honest ... fingers xd :-)

So, lunch option was... Kilimanjaro again, buffet... We're open minded, so gave it one more crack... The same 6 Bain maries, that's your choice for the entire lunch buffet (plus nice salad and soup), and the food this time was nice, just not much choice, can't be an off season thing either as theres no more room for other food vessels.

Back to Palermo cafe, we stopped off for a cuppa, a 10 minute farce ensued trying to teach the difference between tea bags, again no malice just blatantly no idea what they were doing. We had a pork pie there too, I struggled not to sick it out, but my mrs seemed fine.

What else... There's a spa, apparently decent, but this comes from the same group of soon to be ex-friends. We didn't try, though it had a decent gang outside keen to get in. Prices were as 5*, which I strongly insist this place is nowhere near.

Karaoke room over by the grill, dead when we there. Pitch n putt, tiny, would have tried if weather was better. Climbing wall, archery etc, so some entertainment stuff. Beach, small, clean, calm water, didn't try though.

There is no way whatsoever or howsoever that this is or ever was a 5* resort. If it sorted itself out wth extensive pool/lagoonthen vs the competition I'd concede it can be a 4* family destination, right now it's 3.25-3.5*, so u probably round down... 3*. It's size is great, The idea is great, if I came here as a kid I'd have a blast!

Overall, none of my friends will be going here on my referral. We went to Crimson before and had sent a very demanding friend there who also supported our opinion of Crimson as 'very small but infinitely better finished' resort. The crimson food was really great, pool side waiting service, cleanliness all great, towels, rooms were mostly smaller with inferior views tho, my mrs tried the spa at crimson saying it was ok, just so-so, and although there was a kids crèche area there, I think kids would have more fun at Plantation... My parting thought, if you can afford the time and money, go to Bali! Good luck choosing your holiday!

• Stayed: November 2012
10  Thank RC_SK_12
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear TripAdvisor Readers:

In this lengthy commentary, the reviewer admits that almost everything about her stay was very satisfactory or better. Yet, she managed to turn every positive comment into a negative. For example, she asked for and was granted a late departure, yet she was displeased. The lagoons were described as clean, yet she focused on some floating leaves. The bed was a wooden 4-poster and the room was clean, the bathrooms were marble and stone - yet she contrived to make it sound as if she was still faintly dissatisfied. Our room service was prompt and efficient, yet she sniffed that the hamburger was "warm", as if this is supposed to be a minus. She acknowledged that our spa looked inviting, yet she refused to try it.

Upon checking her only other TripAdvisor review, we discovered that it was for a suite in Bali that may have cost 3 or 4 times her room in Plantation Bay. Indeed, her standards must be very high.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed for 3 days at this resort with my family. Its not a new resort but its well maintained. Since its quite far from the city center, we hired a van to take us for a city tour. But being far from the city is not a let down for this resort, it has lots of activities for the kids and adults to enjoy. My first time to do archery here.

Room was clean, service was efficient. Had the toilet fixed coz the storage tank is not filling quickly and it was fixed promptly. Food in restaurant was quite expensive for my standard. Aircon was cool, linens and pillows are comfortable. A good place to do lots of activities or just relax by the man made beach.

2  Thank Derreck R
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear Derreck R,

Plantation Bay does its best to make sure our guests need not go far to relax and have fun and we are happy that you had such an enjoyable experience during your stay.

A big thank you for mentioning that our service is excellent and that we have a lot of activities to entertain the whole family.

Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 5 days here at Plantation Bay Resort is nice Surrounded with waters well done gardens, our room is romantic with green plant around our terace & infront of the pool really peaceful ,and staff are so kindly, and after 5 days my boyfriend decide to visite Bohol, so during our checkout i asked the receptionist if we could book a room for the next 2weeks so we could stay and celebrate Sinulog after visiting Bohol and she said Yes i will book for you and of-course with credit cards detail as a guarantee, so for the mean time we really enjoyed our permanence at Bohol and i decide to call Plantation Bay Cebu to exchange the date of our arrival into the next 5days and she answered me, Yes Mom but keep notice that the payment for this week of stay is already made.. And no other way to take it back.. Hhhmm was really bad feeling to give my money so easy and i said okey then we come on that date no need to change...so for next time i know not to give my credit card detail....

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Brooke G

Dear Brooke G,

We're glad that you found your room romantic, the gardens lush and the landscape well-done, and the staff kind. It is nice too that you experienced Cebu's acclaimed Sinulog Festival when you were here.

For non-peak dates, Plantation Bay allows changes to or cancellation of one's reservations 2 days before arrival whereas other hotels require at least a week's notice.

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed at Plantation Bay Resort for one week mid October with my husband and 18month old. As my husband was in Cebu for work, we wanted somewhere that I could stay with my daughter that I wouldn't have to leave for much. Plantation Bay certainly delivered in that sense.
From the time that we arrived, the service was standout. As it was my birthday the day that I arrived, my husband had presented me with a bunch of flowers. At check-in, the staff asked the reason for the flowers and I told them. About 1hr later there was a knock at our bedroom door and two staff presented me with a birthday cake, with my name on it and a candle! I was so touched! This great service continued throughout our entire stay. The staff were the loveliest I have ever come across, and they were all completely in love with my daughter as well and she lapped up the attention!
Our room was in the Lebron Hall block on the first floor, and we found this room to be of a decent size. The bathroom was nice although the bathtub was a little bit odd shaped for bathing a toddler in, it was a lovely shape for a bath for one! We loved the balcony area, and sat out there most nights overlooking the lagoon.
The facilities were great - my daughter loved the children's room and the park, plus the fish pond and bird in the lobby. We also rode a horse and cart back from the lobby to our room one day! How fun! They are extremely family friendly, even loaning us a pram for our stay and never being short of highchairs for us to use in the restaurants.My husband and I loved the main swimming pool and the swim up bar. We didn;t get to go to any of the themed nights, due to having a little one in tow, but they sounded like they were fun.
There is also free internet in your room, if you have a laptop. It was very fast too.
The only negatives about the place were as follows:
The food was quite expensive, especially by Filipino standards. It was also not that good. The best meal I had was at the FIJI restaurant, but I had a lot of way better meals at quite upmarket Cebu restaurants for far less. The breakfast was especially expensive at close to $25AU/head. It was good, but other hotels have included buffets similar to this as part of the overall room price. In the end, we got room service continental breakfast most mornings at about $12/head but was substantial with yoghurt, fruit, coffee, a croissant and 3 danishes.
The lagoon pools were also a tad slimy on the bottom (the main pool, with the bar was very clean though). We just skipped the lagoons and swam in the main pool.
Overall, we had a great week here. It was like a giant hotel funpark! I didn't mind the fact that it was all man made at all. Loved the theme and thought they did it well! It's just a shame about the food and the pricing of it as if I was to stay in Cebu for longer than a few days again I may look elsewhere as our final bill was quite high.

2  Thank NNY264
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear NNY264,

Thank you for sharing how touching your birthday celebration went and how your daughter had a great time at Plantation Bay. It was our pleasure to provide you with the "standout” service that made your week-long stay memorable.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

As with most of my reviews, I give both the good and not-so-good information but we will definitely return to Plantation Bay and it is now our favourite place to stay in Cebu.

THE GOOD:

We preferred Plantation Bay to the ShangriLa Mactan for the following reasons:
1) More variety in the restaurants and their offerings - the breakfast buffet and evening buffet changes countries every day so you don't have the same old things day after day (France was the best followed by Mexican)
2) Great a la carte menus - everything we ate was delicious and of good quality (Great job, executive Chef Mario)
3) It felt like a resort or theme park rather than a hotel
4) More activities for our active 4 and 6 year-old boy - kayaking in the lagoon, cliff jumping at diving rock, waterslides, hide and seek in the water caves, archery, children's center, children's play area, games room with air hockey, ping pong, etc., fishing, hanging out at the beach, my husband did rock climbing and went out on a hobie cat.
5) Liked the lagoon concept, caves and waterslides - it was very theme-oriented
6) No tipping - felt so relaxing not having to worry about it and the service was exceptional
7) Very responsive to my son's treenut allergy to the point where they made sure to communicate it to all of the restaurants and had ingredient information ready for us (also great that a la carte is available so you don't have to worry about cross-contamination and they also made meals that were not on the menu for my children)
8) Spa massage was one of the best my husband has had (shiatsu)
9) The shuttles were great and constant so if you felt like being lazy you could be
10) The 24-hour Kilimanjaro restaurant was great - especially if your children are early risers like ours were.

Yes, the lagoons are man-made as are the rocks, etc. but it didn't bother us. Yes, the food and drinks can be expensive, but the quality is worth it and it is in line with resort pricing. The resort has a lot of Korean and Japanese customers so signage, etc. is in multiple languages. They do special children's activities and even though we were leaving before the Halloween Spooky Forest opened, they did let our children go in earlier.

THE NOT SO GOOD

We were picked up efficiently by the shuttle from the airport and the ride to the hotel was fine but I didn't like that the driver was talking on his phone for most of the drive.

We were in Nile 15 - room approx 200USD / night for 4 people and stayed for three nights. The room was clean, well kept and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was nice with a separate large shower and unique bathtub. It was perfect for a family of 4. As in other hotels in the Philippines for some reason even though there are 4 people registered in the room they only provided 2 towels. However, when I asked for more towels they were quickly supplied.

While the room was great, I don't recommend this room if there are private events going on at night as the noise is really unbearable. Upon checkin my husband was informed there would be an event but he didn't think it would be a big deal (this from a man who can sleep through 15 children screaming at a kiddy party). We didn't realize how close the event was to our room or how loud the event would be. When I complained, the duty manager did offer for me to have a 'sleeping room' which I thought didn't make any sense. In the end, he did comp our room for that night so it was resolved to my satisfaction.

Room Tip: If they warn you about an event going on, then change rooms cause it can get really loud.
Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Deb C

Dear Deb C,

We especially appreciate favorable comments from well-traveled guests like you. We're pleased that you rated our service exceptional and that our massage was one of the best you've had. It was also a delight to read about how much fun your children had with our activities and how you liked our food and our daily themed buffet breakfast and dinner. Chef Mario and the rest of our chefs will appreciate your compliments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Plantation Bay soon.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Plantation bay is a great hotel as its services are top-notch. I really do not understand why there is much ado about their food prices since it is quite standard for 5 star resorts such as these. At least the no tipping policy assures you that you will get proper service even without shelling gratuity; which i appreciated very much.

The man-made lagoons are amazing and definitely make up for the actual beach which is quite small. It was likewise the safest water environment my kids had a chance to play in. And based on their happy faces, i believe that our time here was indeed money well-spent.

However, it needs an upgrade to maintain the immensely high standards it has set for itself. The initial allure of the lagoons and pool can only go so far, and after a time you would look for something new. But i wouldnt want it to turn into a cheesy theme park with more giant waterslides and wave pools; i was thinking more in the lines of a major facelift to keep up with the changing times. For one, my one bedroom suite had a dysfunctional shower, but i made do. Room service choices were likewise severely limited, so if you want a better selection, you will have to go to one of the four restaurants, order room service personally, and have it delivered to your room for an additional 100 fee. But these are just minor inconveniences and defintely do not affect the amazing experience you will have here.

2  Thank Soloflyer_Manila
EfrenPB_GM, General Manager at Plantation Bay Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Dear Soloflyer_Manila,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you found Plantation Bay a great hotel with top-notch service and child-friendly facilities. We're glad too that you found our food prices reasonable and that you appreciated our no-tipping policy.

We are always adding something new to Plantation Bay. This includes "hard assets" such as the recent addition of a coffee bar, and "software" like our new whale-shark-watching excursions to the south of Cebu Island. By the time you come back for your next visit, we hope there'll be something new and exciting for you and your family to enjoy!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#9 of 43 in Mactan Island
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 92 in Cebu City

Been to Plantation Bay Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!