“Great Stay”

Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed January 28, 2010

A friend recommended Maribago Bluewater Resort last year when I mentioned I wanted to go to Cebu. I checked out the reviews from Trip advisor and decided that i will give it a try. I decided to book it through Orbitz after using the fare search tool of trip advisor. I booked the Anuma spa room for about $106 plus taxes and fees. I booked the flight from Manila to cebu separately through Cebuair pacific. The day we arrived was at the height of the Sinulog Festival so the airfare was more expensive. $175 round trip per person. Upon arriving at the Mactan airport, cabs were scarce (may be because of the festival??) I found out that Yellow airport cabs cost double even if they pull the meter down. Traditionally it would cost PHP40 upfront then PHP4 per 300 meters for a metered (non yellow) cab ride. the yellow taxi i found out would cost PHP70 upfront and PHP10 per 300 meters. If you insist on getting a white cab go up the stairs to the level of the arrival area and get a taxi where most of the local get a cab. there is a line and you can choose to decline the yellow cab if you want. We took the yellow cab and it cost us PHP175 from the airport to the Resort.

Upon arriving at the resort, the staff will hand you the plate number and name of the cab you just boarded, just in case you left an important article in the cab, you can trace it through that little piece of paper. That is true for all the cabs that enter the resort.

The lobby is a large gazebo in front of the massive wooden gate of the resort. It has an open layout with numerous large sofas. Often these sofas are occupied by guests who have just arrived waiting for their rooms or who are waiting to be shuttled someplace else. They don't have a designated smoking area, so you might find yourself sitting in a very smoky section, even though it is open.

The front desk staff will give you a cool drink and cool towel upon check in. the process was smooth and uneventful. they will hand you a map of the resort and your key The room key is attached to a very large key chair akin to a fat wallet and is very cumbersome to put in a pocket but is very difficult to lose. Our room is the Anuma Spa suite. the suites are situated closest to the gate. if you happen to be assigned to the row of rooms near the front wall you might actually hear the traffic outside. Don't pick room 349 or 345. it is closest to the front gate. Our room is 310. directly across the open spa lounge on the second floor. There are only two rooms per stairway so you won't get a lot of traffic. Nice! The room has a long open lay out. The sheets are adequate but not new. We got two queen size beds in the room so i just used the sheets of the other bed to double up at night. the AC was strong and quiet. Enough for our needs. There is a 110V outlet in the bathroom. the rest are 220V. The TV is flat screen but small (about 20 inches), they have HBO and star TV... they have the amenities one would usually find in a four star hotel, Full fridge, hair dryer, toothbrush and toothpaste. they also have a his and hers flip flops.

Towels are limited. they will not give you extra, they will only exchange the used ones. I brought my own beach towels but I saw several guests using blue towels by the pool. (blue for the poolside, white for your room)

The pool is large but does not have enough pool side chairs so get there early. Ther are three large pools, so if you don't get a place by this pool , you can always get a spot at the other pools.

The Anuma Spa suites are the farthest from the buffet but the closest to the lobby/ gate.
the Garden Suites is close to the buffet. Their pool is somewhat elevated a few feet in a neatly manucured garden. Nice.

The Bungalows are the closest to the beach and farthest from the lobby. There are a few golf carts that shuttles the guests to and from their rooms, but it is actually a nice walk. the weather in January was a mixed bag. The first day I got there it rained off and on for three days. Our room has two umbrellas.

The food at the COve was excellent and about the average price of a nice meal here in the States. Try the pork chops, it was excellent. The seafood Jambalaya was good too but they used coconut milk which later did not agree with me. I forgot that coconut is a natural laxative. Hmmm. The cove have their own tank of live seafood which they harvest from once you order so you kow your meal is fresh. We ate at the Maribago Grill, a walking distance from the gate of the resort, and was satisfied with the food. You eat inside an open hut so you still get the mosquito at nite and the flies during the day. Again, you'll discover that it is island wide and nothing can be done about it short of spraying the place with insect spray.. Another place where you can go is the Reijin Island bar and grill. much further than the Maribago Grill but you can stay inside the restaurant and not be bothered by the flies and mosquito. The decor of the palce is tacky but the food is decent.

The statue pf LapuLapu is a jeepney ride way (about PHP7) per person. a historic site for the island.

The island of Bohol is a day trip you can book through the fron desk it would cost you about PHP 3000 to PHP 4000.

The Aquamania is their water sports store. I booked a I day scuba dive for my husband and he was very satisfied with the service. He had a one on one instruction which included two Dives. Look for Nelson when you get there. He let me borrow his camera cover since we have the same camera so my husband was able to take some nice underwater shots.

The beach in the resort was like what other reviews said. it was not meant for swimming. I don't like salt water anyway so this was no issue for me. i just like the shore.
There is internet access (wi-fi) in certain areas of the resort, but you could also use a computer at the gift shop to check you email and post pictures at facebook.

The buffet have enough food for everybody and enough seats for everybody. The flies however are equally numerous BUT it is true all over the island not just in the resort. Most of the guest at the resort are Filipinos, Koreans and Japanese, and it reflects on the food selection. There is steamed buns, sushi rolls, congee, dried fried fish to name a few. BUT they also have american fare like omelet and toast and fresh fruit and cereal. (no oatmeal though).

I did not try their spa services but i looked at the price and it is slightly inexpensive than a 90-min massage here in the States. I think it was $70 inclusive of the use of the steam bath and jacuzzi. There is a massage place just outside of the resort but it pales compared to the ambiance of the Anuma spa, although it was considerably more inexpensive (about $20 for 60 minutes. )

The best thing about this place is the scuba dive for my husband, the food at the Cove, the breakfast buffet and seclusion of the place.

The least best thing is the island is about 30-45 minutes away from the city proper so going out at night is limited. Also the pool is closed between 8pm and 8am.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank blueskkyflakes
There are newer reviews for Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort

Reviewed January 9, 2010

Great, friendly, helpful staff.
Recent renovation, but some items missed out (our bath tub was showing its very old age).
Noise from neighbouring resorts can be a problem.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AndyCapp69
Reviewed November 13, 2009

Nice place, very private, very quiet. Provided us with a customized birthday cake upon request - prepared and served it to us within hours and even went the distance to make it complimentary for us! Breakfast buffet was okay; wide spread of varieties but not very tasty. Our room's toilet flush broke down on our last day and staff were gracious about it.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank nessa_11
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Our stay in this resort was arranged at the last minute due to our flights from Boracay to Palawan being cancelled by Seair. I only found out about the cancellation 2 days before we were due to leave Boracay so I was forced to find accommodation on Mactan Island (which is where we decided to go) at very short notice.
I purchased a map of Cebu from the airline office on Boracay & had to make a decision without knowing anything about the place. My map at least showed that there were a cluster of resorts/hotels to the south of the airport.
All of the usual booking sites on the net came up 'No Vacancy' at any of the hotels I had chosen from the map.
As a last resort I tried the Rates To Go site which I had never tried before.
Bingo! They showed the Maribago having just 2 rooms left!
I quickly booked one of these rooms even though it was way over my budget & was not really the sort of place I would usually book into. (By this time I was thanking God for credit cards & netbook computers!)
Upon arrival at the Mactan International Airport I noticed a fellow with a sign which read 'Maribago Bluewater Resort' He had our names on a list but told me that we had not booked our transport through the hotel. He then gave both of us a shell necklace as our welcome to Cebu.
He was quite willing to include us in his vehicle for around 500 pesos if we were agreeable. I thought that I would rather try a meter taxi, believing them to be cheaper.
I knew from my map that the resort was only about 10 to 12 kilometres from the airport so I thought that a taxi would charge way under 500 pesos.
Even though I had refused his offer, this fellow escorted us to a waiting taxi & instructed the driver to take us to the resort. This was a nice, personal touch & I began to think that we had indeed made the correct decision to book into the Maribago.
Upon arrival we were given a refreshing drink & the booking procedure went smoothly.
I asked the clerk how much I was actually going to pay (having booked the room in US Dollars) & he did a quick conversion into pesos which I then converted into Australian dollars. This young fellow told me that if I had any problems I could approach the administration office the next day & they would explain the details. He also explained that we had been given a room in the Amuma Spa wing of the hotel & that we had been upgraded. This didn't mean much to me at the time but I thought that I was being treated extremely courteously & was able to relax, having had quite a trying few days previously.
Our bags were loaded onto a golf cart type transporter & we were driven to our room. I say room but it was like a suite. The room was spacious & the toilet & wardobes were at the back of the room through some wooden louvre doors. You entered the bathroom through sliding doors. The bathroom is actually in the open air but totally secluded & private. I suppose it is a Japanese type design because the floor is comprised of pebbles & the shower cascades like a waterfall.
This was luxury on a scale we had not yet experienced in the Philippines & it was just what we needed.
The pool was right in front of the room & the main breakfast area was about 100 metres away. (Breakfast selection was as good as it gets & plentiful, as you would expect but get there early if you want to sit in the airconditioned room.)
There was free WiFi in the Amuma Spa coffee shop as well as a free desktop internet connection in the gift shop.
The resort boasts its own private beach & there is a fresh fish restaurant at the end of the private jetty as well as the Cove Bar on the same jetty.
Like most resorts of this class, the food prices are usually outrageous compared to what can be found outside.
With service charges & taxes on top of the cost of food it can become quite expensive to eat in the resort, which probably explains why a great proportion of this resorts' guests found their way to the Maibago Grill restauarant (just a short walk up the road) for their evening meal.
Here could be found wonderful food for a reasonable price in an Al Fesco setting.
We ate there every night for 4 nights.
The Maribago Bluewater resort is typical of 4 to 5 star resorts & has what it takes to ensure that a comfortable relaxed ambience is enjoyed by its guests. If this is what you are after it is certainly one to try.
(Further hint)
If you are after a great massage, try the little place just adjacent to the main gates.
Can't remember what it is called but those guys & gals can sure fix your aching limbs.
(Much cheaper than the resort also)

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DougFromAlbany
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Pro:
Water sports centre - provided excellent service with safety in mind. Lovely staff!

Cons:
Breakfast - no variation, low quality food.
- I sat at a table that consisted of two smaller tables joined together and
waited for 3 other family members. Female staff came along and
whisked one table away, dragged the remaining table to one side with me
rushing to stand up with cutlery in hand. There was no communication at
the beginning. Why? An American guest + girlfriend required a table. My
impression of the staff member - she was attempting to dazzle the
MALE. I thought she was utterly rude AND disrespectful to both parties!!
(16th August 2009)

- Be sure to finish eating before 9-50am. Breakfast time is up to 10am but
the staff shut the lights on diners. Management staff have to eat at this time
and they get priority over paying guests.
- Prefer to sit inside with aircon....... forget it. Approaching the 9-30am mark,
staff try to shunt you to outside seating.

Pool - guests spit + urinate (adult male and his toddler) around the pool surround
& staff say nothing
- guests walk on mud and then straight into shallow pool with flip flops
still on.

Taxis - hail a taxi from the hotel and the driver immediately informs you their ''hotel''
taxi should be twice the rate of a metered taxi. These taxis wait just outside
of the gate for fares! Be wary, some do not want to
let you out of the vechicle if you are unwilling to pay their scam rates.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank HippoX4
Reviewed August 14, 2009

The smiling happy, friendly staff are the hotel's best asset. The hotel has three good swimming pools and 2 proper restaurants with a smaller cafe serving Italian style food. (A new Italian restaurant is under construction). The seafood restaurant is in a fantastic location although I didn't eat there.
I booked while in Cebu and got a price better that any on the internet. (5000 Peso including breakfast and dinner).
There are a few negatives however. The beach wing rooms only have single beds and there are no coffee/tea making facilities in these rooms. At this stage there is no night-time air conditioned dining venue available. I hope that the new restaurant will have air conditioning. All in all however it is very good value for money.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank johndborg
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Not so much a 5-star resort as some of the websites claim it is, but still nice and comfortable. This was our second visit to Cebu and we stayed at Maribago again, mainly because of their dive center, Aquamarine. We obtained our scuba diver license this time. The training was professional. The dive trips were always fun with full attention from the dive master. Unforgettable.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
#12 of 43 in Mactan Island
BE Resort, Mactan
BE Resort, Mactan
#12 of 32 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort? Share your experiences!