“Its got what it takes”

Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Our stay in this resort was arranged at the last minute due to our flights from Boracay to Palawan being cancelled by Seair. I only found out about the cancellation 2 days before we were due to leave Boracay so I was forced to find accommodation on Mactan Island (which is where we decided to go) at very short notice.
I purchased a map of Cebu from the airline office on Boracay & had to make a decision without knowing anything about the place. My map at least showed that there were a cluster of resorts/hotels to the south of the airport.
All of the usual booking sites on the net came up 'No Vacancy' at any of the hotels I had chosen from the map.
As a last resort I tried the Rates To Go site which I had never tried before.
Bingo! They showed the Maribago having just 2 rooms left!
I quickly booked one of these rooms even though it was way over my budget & was not really the sort of place I would usually book into. (By this time I was thanking God for credit cards & netbook computers!)
Upon arrival at the Mactan International Airport I noticed a fellow with a sign which read 'Maribago Bluewater Resort' He had our names on a list but told me that we had not booked our transport through the hotel. He then gave both of us a shell necklace as our welcome to Cebu.
He was quite willing to include us in his vehicle for around 500 pesos if we were agreeable. I thought that I would rather try a meter taxi, believing them to be cheaper.
I knew from my map that the resort was only about 10 to 12 kilometres from the airport so I thought that a taxi would charge way under 500 pesos.
Even though I had refused his offer, this fellow escorted us to a waiting taxi & instructed the driver to take us to the resort. This was a nice, personal touch & I began to think that we had indeed made the correct decision to book into the Maribago.
Upon arrival we were given a refreshing drink & the booking procedure went smoothly.
I asked the clerk how much I was actually going to pay (having booked the room in US Dollars) & he did a quick conversion into pesos which I then converted into Australian dollars. This young fellow told me that if I had any problems I could approach the administration office the next day & they would explain the details. He also explained that we had been given a room in the Amuma Spa wing of the hotel & that we had been upgraded. This didn't mean much to me at the time but I thought that I was being treated extremely courteously & was able to relax, having had quite a trying few days previously.
Our bags were loaded onto a golf cart type transporter & we were driven to our room. I say room but it was like a suite. The room was spacious & the toilet & wardobes were at the back of the room through some wooden louvre doors. You entered the bathroom through sliding doors. The bathroom is actually in the open air but totally secluded & private. I suppose it is a Japanese type design because the floor is comprised of pebbles & the shower cascades like a waterfall.
This was luxury on a scale we had not yet experienced in the Philippines & it was just what we needed.
The pool was right in front of the room & the main breakfast area was about 100 metres away. (Breakfast selection was as good as it gets & plentiful, as you would expect but get there early if you want to sit in the airconditioned room.)
There was free WiFi in the Amuma Spa coffee shop as well as a free desktop internet connection in the gift shop.
The resort boasts its own private beach & there is a fresh fish restaurant at the end of the private jetty as well as the Cove Bar on the same jetty.
Like most resorts of this class, the food prices are usually outrageous compared to what can be found outside.
With service charges & taxes on top of the cost of food it can become quite expensive to eat in the resort, which probably explains why a great proportion of this resorts' guests found their way to the Maibago Grill restauarant (just a short walk up the road) for their evening meal.
Here could be found wonderful food for a reasonable price in an Al Fesco setting.
We ate there every night for 4 nights.
The Maribago Bluewater resort is typical of 4 to 5 star resorts & has what it takes to ensure that a comfortable relaxed ambience is enjoyed by its guests. If this is what you are after it is certainly one to try.
(Further hint)
If you are after a great massage, try the little place just adjacent to the main gates.
Can't remember what it is called but those guys & gals can sure fix your aching limbs.
(Much cheaper than the resort also)

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DougFromAlbany

Reviewed August 19, 2009

Pro:
Water sports centre - provided excellent service with safety in mind. Lovely staff!

Cons:
Breakfast - no variation, low quality food.
- I sat at a table that consisted of two smaller tables joined together and
waited for 3 other family members. Female staff came along and
whisked one table away, dragged the remaining table to one side with me
rushing to stand up with cutlery in hand. There was no communication at
the beginning. Why? An American guest + girlfriend required a table. My
impression of the staff member - she was attempting to dazzle the
MALE. I thought she was utterly rude AND disrespectful to both parties!!
(16th August 2009)

- Be sure to finish eating before 9-50am. Breakfast time is up to 10am but
the staff shut the lights on diners. Management staff have to eat at this time
and they get priority over paying guests.
- Prefer to sit inside with aircon....... forget it. Approaching the 9-30am mark,
staff try to shunt you to outside seating.

Pool - guests spit + urinate (adult male and his toddler) around the pool surround
& staff say nothing
- guests walk on mud and then straight into shallow pool with flip flops
still on.

Taxis - hail a taxi from the hotel and the driver immediately informs you their ''hotel''
taxi should be twice the rate of a metered taxi. These taxis wait just outside
of the gate for fares! Be wary, some do not want to
let you out of the vechicle if you are unwilling to pay their scam rates.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank HippoX4
Reviewed August 14, 2009

The smiling happy, friendly staff are the hotel's best asset. The hotel has three good swimming pools and 2 proper restaurants with a smaller cafe serving Italian style food. (A new Italian restaurant is under construction). The seafood restaurant is in a fantastic location although I didn't eat there.
I booked while in Cebu and got a price better that any on the internet. (5000 Peso including breakfast and dinner).
There are a few negatives however. The beach wing rooms only have single beds and there are no coffee/tea making facilities in these rooms. At this stage there is no night-time air conditioned dining venue available. I hope that the new restaurant will have air conditioning. All in all however it is very good value for money.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank johndborg
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Not so much a 5-star resort as some of the websites claim it is, but still nice and comfortable. This was our second visit to Cebu and we stayed at Maribago again, mainly because of their dive center, Aquamarine. We obtained our scuba diver license this time. The training was professional. The dive trips were always fun with full attention from the dive master. Unforgettable.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pik Ki H
Reviewed June 6, 2009

I liked this resort. The staff were really friendly-they'd practically run across the road to say hello to you!It was really clean and well kept. It was a bit pricey and as we were uncomfortable straying to far afield we spent a lot of money here on drink and food. Dont expect late night drinking sessions though-they dont like to stay open much after 11pm, they will because they are very accomadating but they wont look very happy about it!!! Watch out for the lifegaurd with a gun!!I would recommend and stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank galwaygirlIreland
Reviewed May 21, 2009

This resort has good spacious rooms, friendly staff, nice pool & the best of all their breakfast is great! I'm not fascinated with the beach, it very grassy & small.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank cresil
Reviewed March 14, 2009

The staff were very courteous, however I wasnt so impressed with the rooms. I was traveling alone and probably wouldnt return unless I was bringing a group as the families there seemed very happy.

Ate the Turkey Mango sandwich at the restaurant, took quite a while to come out but it was exceptional. The beach was ok, fairly small and in a few areas the sand washed off the concrete it was placed over.

The absolute best part about the area (and the only reason I would return) is the amazing "Oyster Bar". With beanbags around tables with chess and other games I relaxed with a warm gentle breeze blowing through the circular bar. There was also an amazing view from "The Cove" seafood restaurant however I had already eaten. I would like to return to try this restaurant out.

When returning from the hotel, the Taxi's dont turn on their meter and will overcharge you. The driver wanted 300 php, tell them 150 which is more than fair.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
#12 of 43 in Mactan Island
BE Resort, Mactan
BE Resort, Mactan
#12 of 32 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort? Share your experiences!