We went during the 25th anniversary of the resort, which probably contributed to everything and everyone feeling quite festive. As soon as we arrived at the airport, a nice man offered to help us with our luggage and ushered us to the Bluewater Maribago coaster for its free transfer service. The ride to the property took no more than 30 minutes. When we arrived, we were greeted by a handful of their staff, handing out fresh lemongrass coolers and cold towels, and they gently placed blue beaded leis around our necks. With all their wonderful, smiling faces, it was a really warm welcome.
We arrived on the first flight to Cebu, but they managed to arrange for early check-in. Half of our group had to be temporarily accommodated at another suite while our actual rooms were still occupied, but some hotels don't even offer to do this "so we can lay down while waiting" so we appreciated the initiative. We also didn't mind because the breakfast buffet was already open, so we got our first taste of their fare.
Their offerings were pretty extensive, with plenty of choices for proteins, starches, soups, salads, yogurts, cereals, and sweets. Coffee was excellent. It must be noted that their menu probably has a three-day rotation period, and since we stayed for four, we noticed a "repeat" of the same dishes on the last day. I didn't mind at all, because there were some dishes that were worth having again.
The beach was unimpressive, as with most of the inland shores of Mactan, as they are unnaturally manipulated into man-made lagoons and sand bars. (On good weather days, you have the option to go island hopping to better beaches, made available at their activity shack found on the beach. You can ask their boat men and dive instructors for suggestions.) On the other hand, the resort is unique with its little pockets of villas, each with their own swimming pools. The swimming pools were all impeccably maintained, and very enjoyable. The pool closest to the Allego dining area and bar is so pretty, surrounded by trees and vibrant bougainvilleas! (It was unfortunate that there were some foreign guests at the time whom I caught spitting in the water of the pool near Amuma!)
My most favorite part of my entire stay was the sauna cabin and jacuzzi in the Amuma Spa wing. I stayed there for hours, just alternating between the cool jacuzzi with water running down from rocks, and the steam cabin right behind it. For me, it was a picturesque and delightful experience. I've never seen and had anything like it in all my travels.
It rained for most of our stay, but there were may activities around the resort, like free use of the billiards and table tennis tables in the recreation area. Across from it, there was a pond where they had shark feeding daily at 4:00 (which I regrettably missed!)
I wish I didn't have any substandard things to say, but I honestly did not get a good night's sleep the entire time; which was surprising since the beds and pillows were comfortable enough, the surroundings were peaceful, and the temperature of the A/C was pleasant. Also, though most of the staff were one of the reasons why our stay was so fantastic (they had a really personal manner of serving, and just made me feel like a part of their family -- kudos to Ronaldo and Rolando? The server at the seafood restaurant and the boatman? -- some of them seemed blank and lost. But they were definitely a minority to an overall wonderful trip. Happy anniversary, Bluewater Maribago! Excited for your many more years of Amuma!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Imagine the sweetness of doing nothing and the satisfaction of doing everything. It is an art you can discover and perfect at Bluewater Maribago, a lush 7-hectare tropical paradise of pure intimate pleasure. Here we put thought into every details of your stay, from the moment we greet you "Mabuhay" to the time we bid you "Farewell".Here, your options are countless: 158 well-appointed rooms, 110-meter beachfront of pristine sand, a private island, 3 lagoon-shaped swimming pools with waterfalls, children's playground, recreation and water sports center, full-service restaurants and bars and the pampering treatment of Amuma Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Agoda, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Cancelon, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Travel Book Philippines, Inc., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maribago Bluewater Beach Hotel Lapu Lapu
- Hotel Maribago Bluewater Beach
- Maribago Bluewater Beach Resort
- Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort Cebu Island/Mactan Island