“Wonderful city beach resort” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort

Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
“Wonderful city beach resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here as a couple for four nights.
Given welcome drinks on arrival and made to feel part of the family.
Stayed in a beach hut close to the beach. Which was of a good standard clean modern and very peaceful.
Hotel restaurants were of very good standard with exellent breakfast buffet.
This is a peaceful hotel spa which was relaxing. The seafood restuarant and bar were exellent. The staff being so friendly i felt like i had been coming here for years.
The beach although small was kept clean and tidy whilst we stayed here. I did not have any hassle with the staff pushing for teips and jetski. If anything i found them friendly and polite.
Well done maribago. Great resort and we will be back again.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Will812002
princesa013, New Media Marketing Officer at Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for staying in our resort and taking time to write this review. Our people, indeed, are our brand. We make sure that our guests will feel at home when they stay with us. They are part of our family.

Spread the word!

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Bluewater Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Paranaque, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed in the Amuma Spa Suite for 2 nights.

My room:
While the room is large with it's own veranda, it is in need of renovation in terms of decor, fixtures, linens and furniture. However, I believe the wing I stayed in is older and the resort has more modern rooms in other areas of the property. One wall of my room was done with capiz shell windows which lets the light in during the day and night. There are no blackout curtains, so don't choose this room if you need total darkness to sleep.

Layout
The resort consists of 2-story building clusters that are spread out on the property, so it doesn't feel crowded. The Amuma Spa Wing in particular is set away from the restaurants, main pool and guest rooms. It has its own pool and cafe, so you don't have to join the rest of the guests from the other clusters if you don't want to.

Staff
All of the staff I encountered were very helpful, courteous and efficient. My room was cleaned daily and I had no problem leaving valuables in plain sight. The restaurant staff were particularly friendly.

My room came with buffet breakfast and dinner which admittedly didn't have a selection as varied as the large hotels, but were perfectly adequate. The theme nights they ran while I was there were All Steak and Italian night which both had pretty good choices.
The only thing I didn't like was the band that played during dinner which I thought was noisy/tacky. I would have appreciated if the band was set-up farther away from the diners.

Beach
Easily the weakest aspect of Maribago Bluewater. Generally speaking, the beaches in Mactan are nothing to call home about, especially if you've been to the better beaches in the Philippines (Boracay, Bohol, Palawan, etc.). Maribago's beach is very small and the waves are blocked by a large sandbar. I took one look at it and went back to the pool.

Massage
My room came with a free 15-minute "intro" massage which was so good that I ended up booking a full treatment.

In a nutshell:
I can recommend Maribago Bluewater to couples and solo travelers who want a quiet getaway to relax and don't want to stay in a high-rise hotel. It's not on the level of the Shangri-La Mactan, but it's notches above your run-of-the-mill beach resort. I enjoyed my stay because I was there to de-stress and enjoy the silence.

I don't recommend it to people who want to party and/or are looking for a stunning beach and lively beach scene.

Room Tip: The Premier Deluxe Rooms are newly renovated
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank vanilla_bean
princesa013, New Media Marketing Officer at Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and giving time to give a critical review of our property. We will take into consideration the points of improvement that you have mentioned. Guest comments are very important to us as guest satisfaction is our top priority.

We look forward to welcoming you again in our resort.

Bilbao, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

The hotel is very pretty, there is a tropical garden on the premises, very nice swimming pools, great food and efficient staff. So if you’re a fan of staying in the hotel all the time, that’s something for you. However, the nearby “beach” is an area covered with concrete and 3 centimetres of sand and the “lagoon” is a smelly bay in which I dared not wet my feet. The area surrounding the hotel resembles a slum, and the hotel is guarded by armed security guards (it makes you wonder why).
So, even though the hotel is basically impeccable, I can’t recommend this place as a holiday destination.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank trvlgrll
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Bluewater is a nice resort with outstanding gardens, layout and location but facilities are getting a little worn out and tired. Holes and patches missing in pools, paint peeling from walls and ceilings in our room, doors don't close properly in shower room, bath room and front door (we stayed in a Amuma Spa room).

All Staff very friendly and helpful but are typically not very professional compared to standards set in a 1st world country.

Unfortunately, majority of guests are Korean or Japanese and they are very rude and think nothing of making lots of noise at night. They get cheap flights if they arrive at 2am in the morning and the resort think nothing of allowing newly arriving guests yelling and laughing to each other to wake you up as they check in to the the room next to you. This happened on out first night (12am) and when we complained, they did offer to move us but we decided to stay put, however, they still allowed it to happen again on our last night (2am).

Also, the resort is surrounded by Roosters in adjoining properties so you will be woken up at 4am or 5am every morning as they crow for hours.

Resort pushes on selling at every opportunity from not telling you they have fresh chilled filtered water for free while they sell you bottled water in all the restuarants up to a massage for 3000 Pesos when you can get one across the road for 350 pesos.
Buffet's are an amazing rip off at at least 1200 Pesos each when you can order ala carte for around 400 - 600 pesos.

All in all, a nice resort with great staff but just not worth the hassles and sleep deprivation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Richard F
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

I travel a lot both for work n leisure. This is one hotel where their reception staff kept repeating "standard check in time is 2 pm".

When I reached hotel at 5 am, I was told that. So I waited. The last time I was in the Philippines, ppl greeted me with mabuhay.. This time, I don't feel any mabuhay. When i asked again at 11 am n at 12 noon, i received the standard answer from different staff. This is definitely a very different resort experience at reception.

A walk at the beach of the resort, I was kinda surprised to find some rubbish floating in the water and it was definitely unwelcoming.

I supposed this is because it is a budget resort.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Timoso
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

My boys and I stayed at the resort (4-days / 3-nights) and was quite satisfied with the service and staff. The resort is well maintained and quite clean. The breakfast buffet was awesome and future visitors should consider adding this option to your stay at Maribago. The food is no doubt pricey and there is certainly an alternative; Maribago Bar & Grill. The restaurant is located right outside the resort; less than 5-minutes walk from the resort. We ate lunch and dinner there and I was surprised how inexpensive it was to dine there. You should consider staying at the "garden wing" if you want peace and quiet. The beach area gets a little bit noisy at night and during dinner (the resort has different dinner theme). The only issue we had was the shower did not have enough pressure and the water was a bit cold (not sure if the hot water was working properly). Overall, our experience was positive and we would not mind staying there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JBWanKenobi
bluewatermaribago, New Media Marketing Officer at Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking time to review our resort. Thank you so much for giving a high rating for us. Any comment about us is welcome as this is our basis on how we will improve our services.

We look forward to welcoming you again in Bluewater Maribago.

Cebu Island, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

It is a very nice resort where I want to enjoy the sun, the beach, the food and the very cozy rooms.
The staff are very courteous and a matching very good service with a smile. It would be nice if the beach front is always monitored since there are waste that come ashore now and again and it is not a good sight for the guests especially coming from abroad!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your suggestion about the beach front. We will act on it immediately and make sure the place is always clean.

Looking forward to your return to our property.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#16 of 30 in Lapu Lapu
Cebu White Sands at Maribago Beach

Been to Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort? Share your experiences!