“My residence in Cebu” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Manila
“My residence in Cebu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2010

I have been to this resort 2 years ago but back then it was only the two of us enjoying the resort like honeymooners. This time around we brought along our 1 year old kid and have a family bonding of sorts.

I'm glad we chose Shangri-La as it has a lot of things to offer, i love the fact that they have a toddler zone where my kid can play while my wife and I can have our relaxing massage at Chi or swim at beach. We were also able to eat at all of the food outlets, love the food offered at Acqua specially the parmaham with arugula pizza, also had a great lunch at Tea of Spring and a delectable buffet dinner at the Tides.

We had a deluxe sea view room which overlooks the Mactan channel and the swimming pool, my son loves the view so much that he always peek out the window to see the view of the pool. I can't say anything negative about the room since it catered to all our needs, a comfortable bed big enough for the 3 of us, complimentary water replenished everyday and a clean bathroom. The complimentary broadband is a plus as it keeps me connected online.

The staff in the resort were all helpful, they even went out of their way just to provide what we need. In one instance the server at the buffet went in the kitchen to get some congee for my kid. In another occasion, the lady at the beach assisted us by providing a shade tent like structure since there were no more shaded cabanas available. The guest relations officers were also very helpful specially with all the queries i had during our stay and i had a lot of them and all were answered with a smile.

Overall, we were very satisfied with our stay with Shangri-La's Mactan Resort and will do it again next year for another family bonding. As what is stated in their business card upon check-in "My Residence in Cebu"

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank dbtgo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2010

After a 24 hour flight delay, were we glad that we checked into the resort. The receiving staff picked us up from the airport and checked us in immediately. Over the next few days, the business center was extremely helpful coordinating with the airline to ensure we receive our confirmation of delay for travel insurance claims. The hotel also provides shuttle to the city center for a minimal fee.

We were at the hotel for a friend's wedding and it was magical..setting was perfect, view was breathtaking from the ocean pavillion, impeccable service and diving was excellent (we didn't go with the hotel dive centre which was much more expensive!).

Cebu was definitely worth the flight delay and $$$. We will recommend Shangri-la Mactan for its impeccable service which is second to none!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnnaLiew
Seoul
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2010

We stayed here back in 2006 and absolutely loved it. Food was great, price was reasonable, great staff and service, nothing to complain about. Our flight was late at night and our little girl was barely 2 years old by then, so the lady at the club desk was nice enough to extend our check-out time until 7pm(for a small fee). We had been planning to go back and finally did this past summer only to find out a lot had changed. We couldn't go out snorkelling because there were jelly fish in the water and unexplainable amount of seaweed floating around.

Price for food has skyrocketed since 2006 and everything seemed twice as much. Food was still great though at Tea of Springs and Acqua, pool area had been improved but that was pretty much it. Staff at Acqua were extremely friendly btw.

We had to wait in line for breakfast and the selection wasn't that great. Lots of food but not much to eat. Service wasn't that great either. We asked for a late check-out since our flight again was late at night and we were willing to pay the extra charge. And the answer we got was "no, we are fully booked" I'm sure there are people checking in later since most travellers are from Asia and the flights arrive usually at night, but still "no, we're fully booked" and "offered" us to use the pool and the shower in health club as if we're supposed to appreciate it. As far as I know any guests are allowed to use their facilities after checking out.

So after checking out we lounged around the pool, took a shower, stayed at the game room while our daughter played in the kids club where all the staff are very very friendly by the way, and spent another 1/2 hour or so at the game room until the shuttle took us to the airport.

Shuttle out to the city was not free of charge anymore but we were left with no choice since taxis are rare at the resort and I've heard most taxi drivers will rip you off and it is not the most safe place in the world.

It was really sad because we had such good memories from our first trip and were really excited to come back yet our experience was somewhat different. It still is a good place for families with little kids esp. since the kids club is so well-operated, but no more Cebu for us.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Providenciales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2010

I am two thirds done with an 11 night stay at the Shangri La Mactan. This is certainly a great resort to stay at with kids and it's not so bad for the adults either.

The Good:
* We missed our connection in Manila so arrived a day late. Shangri La didn't charge us for the missed night.
* We booked a corporate rate through our company travel agent but the rate we booked was inadvertently for one person - not a family of four. Shangri La honored our rate anyway.
* Staff are incredibly nice and friendly without fail. I never once felt like I was imposing on them when I asked for something - they always seemed more than happy to help with any request.
* Tons to do with kids in the resort - Shangri La have given this some thought for example : beach toys and water toys available at no charge and nice big cabanas providing shade on the beach for the little ones to play in. Adventure Zone, Toddler Zone, E-Zone, two swimming pools - one with slide, games, swings etc. Our twin 2 year olds are having a fantastic time.
* Shuttle service to the airport and into the city for a reasonable fee.
* Hotel restaurants, while not cheap, are priced fairly for a hotel of this class with the possible exception of the dinner buffet but since my wife and I are not buffet people (we are vegetarians for one thing) this didn't bother us. Also reasonably priced tasty kids meals available (or they eat free at the buffet if you are eating).
* Plenty of vegetarian options at the restaurants.
* Warm generally clean sea water (occasional pieces of garbage were in the water) with tons of tropical fish that you can feed and see even in waste deep water.
* Nice pizzeria right outside the resort gates for a change and some cheaper food and beer.
* The CHI spa looks amazing but we didn't partake of the services on offer there.

The Not So Good
* Location - the hotel is a long way from much of interest. I recommend an evening stroll down to the Magellan Shrine. Also Mactan Acquarium is 4kms and it's convenient to the airport but Cebu proper is close to a one hour drive away. So if you like to get out of the resort a lot this isn't a good choice.
* The hotel is just beginning to look slightly tired. Maybe the furnishings are 2/3rds of the way through their useful life and will need updateing relatively soon. Also we looked at upgrading our room but the room shown to us for the upgrade didn't smell too hot. This might just be because the door hadn't been opened in a while and it needed some fresh air. Also, our room in the Ocean Wing only had a standard bath type shower. At this price point I would have expected a dedicated walk in shower.
* I get the feeling that the amenities will be very crowded if the hotel is full so I would avoid this place at peak times. The morning breakfast buffet was extrememly busy the first few days we were there and all seats on the beach were taken by 10am. In contrast now it is not so busy and you can get beach chairs anytime.
* There are a LOT of kids here so if you don't have kids you may not find this place particularly relaxing or romantic.

Finally just a personal observation - we like to experience places and people when we travel. We have been able to do that a little here because we have some friends in Cebu who showed us around a little. On the other hand, if you come to Shangri La and stay in the resort most of the time, you are really not going to experience the Phillipines or Cebu in any meaningful way. This is the first time we have ever done a resort type hotel - it makes more sense for us now that we have little ones but with that said I'm not sure we would book into a large resort like this again. In February we booked into a boutique hotel in Vietnam and had a much better overall experience.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank seatrump
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

I'm so inlove with this place... we stayed in Shangri-La Suite and the view is just magnificent!!! Love the food and service... but i do have a complaint since most of their personnel are new (it's because the old personnel was moved to Shangri-La Boracay) it's just to be more kind, polite and SMILE!!! coz it's a must... people are their to have fun and enjoy the moment and not seeing 2 to 6 personnel not smiling or not greeting their customers. And yes i had a bad experience in one of their boutique since i love to shop... these lady seen me as i'm about to go inside the boutique (souvenir shop of the hotel)... guess what.... she NEVER say good morning ma'am or smile at me at all. I was dissapointed with her and i also found out that they were two in the counter and the other one seen me too ... but unfortunately they've got the same feather at all. And Suprisingly my husband just came in the boutique and they stood up right away to greet my husband "good morning sir!" and of course with a "smile"... and again their surprised! coz the foreign customer that just came in is my husband!. After that they looked ashamed to themselves... and i didn't buy anything from that boutique. There's a lesson here ....people shouldn't under-estimate on your color of your skin nor the way you look if you are rich or not coz you'll never know what you get. I hope there manager will read this review.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LadyBond1
Staines, Surrey, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

Although I was staying here for a conference in the hotel, I did get a chance to go snorkelling (which is excellent by the way) and use the facilities. This is a good sized hotel. There is always spaces at the pools and beach so never have to Save your place early on.
Staff are super friendly and helpful. Food selection was pretty good.
No contructive critism to say about this place. I give it a high recommendation.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank DanMagousha
Warsaw
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

Was a lucky to be there during my vacations. The hotel is around 20minutes from the city. The staff was very friendly and smiling all the time - this is how pinoys are :) I got a room with the view of garden with swimming pools and beach with balcony. Room was big and in continental style. The price is not important here - the climate is worth the money and the quality you get is extremely high.

• Stayed November 2009
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
#9 of 41 in Mactan Island
Waterfront Airport Hotel and Casino

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!