We stayed here for 4 nights with our family of 5 (4 yo and 2 yo twins). Arrived with a direct flight from Hong Kong. Hotel shuttle bus was waiting for us and within 15 minutes we were at the hotel. We chose the cheapest room (garden superior in the main wing) and we had 2 connecting, closest to the new Ocean Wing. Please note that most "garden views" are actually "parking lot views plus greenery. Because we were at the end there was no more parking lot and from the balcony we could actually see the ocean (and the Hilton). The rooms are fairly large with all the amenities and facilities you expect from a 5 star resort. Rooms weren't very very new, a little outdated but not in bad shape at all and very clean. Staff is everywhere and extremely friendly and helpful. One of the ladies carried our 15kg twin all the way to the room! Rooms have turn down service, plenty of towels, flip flops for the beach, etc. etc.
Pool area is also not brand new but in very good condition and well kept with good beds, cushions, large umbrellas and plenty of towels. Very nice large pool with kiddie area, water slide and also a small kiddie pool with sun protection (partly covered). there is also the Ocean Wing pool overlooking the ocean but it's deeper than the main pool so we didn't use it with the kids. Nice, cosy beach with again plenty of beds, towel service, water sport facilities, bar with drinks, etc.
Loved the breakfast buffet with large variety of food (Korean, Japanese, eggs, pancakes, pastries, fruits, breads, etc. etc.). Can sit indoor and outdoor. High chairs were never a problem. In the evening the kids also had their dinner here (free for them) at 6 pm while we sipped a cocktail, then we would put them to bed, the hotel baby sitter showed up at 7.30 pm (PHP300 per hour), and we would go out for dinner and come back 2 hours later. We had several babysitters, all in hotel uniform with badges and very sweet nice ladies (our kids were sleeping so very easy as well).
We had lunch at the pool bar twice (kids' menu available) and at the Italian restaurant Acqua where we would just share a pasta and a pizza (large!) with the kids. Prices are reasonable for a 5-star resort (e.g. Pizza Margeritha is PHP370, pasta around PHP400), kids' meal items around PHP400. In the evening we ate once at the Cove restaurant near the sea and enjoyed their seafood buffet with crabs, lobsters, squid, all from the grill. Really really nice, fresh and tasty (PHP1500 for an adult). We had dinner at Acqua one evening (a la carte) and also at the Buffet restaurant Tides (around PHP1700 per person) with a large selection of Korean BBQ, Thai food, ready made fried rice / noodles, but also sushi, sashimi, great desert, chocolate fondue, ice cream, salads, etc. Very very good quality, excellent presentation.
Overall, occupancy rates were about 50-70% when we were there so fairly quiet but still plenty of people and kids around. The kids also spent time at the Adventure Zone (socks and long sleeve t-shirts necessary) for PHP300 for 2 hours. There is also a toddler zone which is free (under 3 or 4 yo), but it's small so really for the little ones. The Adventure Zone is drop off for children over 4 yo, younger ones need to be accompanied. They also have half day programs (PH650) and full day programs. Free internet is available at the E-Zone (also computer games, etc.).
When traveling with small children bring your own diapers and swim diapers (2 for PHP550!! in the lobby store). We also brought crackers, raisins and some cookies for snack. Free bottled water is provided in the rooms daily (water from the tap is not drinkable).
One day we took the hotel shuttle to a shopping mall (SM City) for PHP100 per person (kids free). Nothing special but quite a nice, new mall with plenty of lunch options and stores like Timberland, Bodyshop, etc. (midrange, not the high end). Around the hotel is quite a bit of poverty with tight security at the gate (sniffing dogs, mirrors to check under cars, etc.), but the first night we had dinner outside the hotel just across the street at a Spanish hotel (lower priced than the hotel but still more expensive than the rest of the Philippines, but you can't blame them with the location, quality was pretty much OK, we shared a paella). There are also 2 more stores that sell beach / swim items and some snacks. Upstairs is an Italian restaurants. Also quite a few Korean restaurants closeby but they didn't look very inviting.
Overall, I would highly recommend it for a family vacation (and even for those without kids, but then possibly not during vacation periods and national holidays). Many of my friends here in HGK had already been. It's only 2 1/2 hours away, direct on CX. Staff, again, is extremely friendly, helpful and plentiful!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked in lush tropical landscape and with a crystalline coastline, Shangri-La's Mactan Resort and Spa, Cebu is the premier, award-winning deluxe resort property in the Philippines. It has won acclaim from both domestic and international travelers for its spacious and well-appointed 530 guestrooms and suites, the variety of its dining, entertainment, sports and recreational activities offered in its paradise-like setting and as home to CHI, The Spa at Shangri-La, one of the largest spa villages in Asia.Nestled amidst 13 hectares of lush greenery, landscaped gardens and with a 350-meter white-sand beach, Shangri-La's Mactan Resort and Spa, Cebu is the quintessential modern-day paradise. It is an exciting refuge for nature lovers and a favorite among holidaymakers, as it combines rustic surroundings, modern conveniences and genuine Asian hospitality that are distinctly Shangri-La. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Mactan Resort And Spa
- Shangri-La`s Mactan Hotel Lapu Lapu
- Shangri Las Mactan Hotel
- Shangri La Cebu
- Shangri La Mactan
- Shangri Las Mactan Lapu
- Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa Cebu Island/Mactan Island