“The bed was heavenly - slept like a princess!!!”

Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Los Angeles, California
“The bed was heavenly - slept like a princess!!!”
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Let me just say that traveling with a 3 month old infant all the way from Los Angeles can be tiring BUT it all went away when my husband, little daughter and I decided to go to Cebu for several days. The service was great, food was good and our room was nice. The king sized bed was just amazing that I almost didn't want to leave our room! We went on a high season (Easter Week) so it was a little pricey but still it was worth the trip!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Fashion_Jetsetter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (649)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manila
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Went to Mactan Shangrila with my husband, 7 year old and a 2 year old. It's my 4th time to stay at the resort. My kids LOVED the pool slides and the water playground. I really liked that the resort had different water features for different age groups. They had a wading pool for babies, another pool area for toddlers, and another for bigger kids and another for adults!

If you've had your fill of the sun, the pool, the beach and water activities, the hotel also has a Kids Zone which is a 3-level indoor area for bigger kids. You can leave your kids here for hours :) They also have scheduled arts and crafts for kids. A separate room for arcade and video games are also available for a small fee.

They have a different playroom specially designed for toddlers and simple art activities for kids below 3 years old. This is free :)

The hotel is very attuned to the needs of families with younger kids. When we ordered room service, they asked how many we were in the room. They provided kid-friendly utensils and cups. I found it very thoughtful!

The lines during check in time was very long...as a Golden Circle member (hotel loyalty card), we were able to check-in inside our room immediately and the hotel staff even took our family photo and sent it to us via email when we got back.

The hotel was fully booked when we stayed there and they were renovating some parts of the hotel (coffee shop, lobby). We had to have our breakfast in the ballrooms. There seemed to be a never-ending stream of hotel guest. BUT despite that, the hotel staff NEVER seemed overwhelmed and served everyone with a friendly smile and with an efficiency that is hard to find elsewhere.

I highly recommend Mactan Shangrila for a beach family vacation if you are looking for more than just water activities. Couples? Not so much.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank puffy91
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Finally away from the family, Relaxing, shopping and spa time..
nothing extra ordinary. Some staff are not very helpful. Love the resort.
I was here on 2008, I heard there is a lot of improvement. We will go back to check it out again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank phephot
Las Pinas, Philippines
Reviewed August 19, 2014

I stayed in the Shangri-La Mactan Resort some time back, so this is a late review - which means that it could only have improved more since then.

Every minute spend in the resort: in the room, the lobby, the restaurant, the beach... was always time well spent. The staff were always delightful to deal with - from the airport pick-up to the check-in and all the way to the transfer to the airport brought me face-to-face with smiling men and women who seemed truly sincere in their desire to give you the best service possible.

A great place to stay in whether or not you are in Cebu for work or leisure. Don't forget to try at least one of their massage services - it's to die for!

Room Tip: If you can, choose a room on their Club Floors, facing the sea/ocean - the view is something you wou...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank tynejr
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

Just checked out of this fabulous resort and had the most wonderful birthday imaginable. From the welcome at the airport, the swift and comfortable check in, the amenities and birthday cake in the room, and so many of the staff going out of their way to make us feel special... It was just amazing.

We spent every moment of our weekend in the resort enjoying the facilities. We used the miniature golf, the regular golf, the spa, the pools, the ice cream shop, windsurfing, the fitness centre, and the restaurants of course. Everything was great, but highlights were as follows:

1. The snorkeling is breath-taking and there are so many types of colorful fish and coral just in front of the resort. Bonus was that I saw my very first live Nemo! Definitely do not miss the snorkeling!

2. Dinner at Cowrie Cove. The seafood was fresh and tasty, very well cooked, great presentation, and they have a wine buffet for 600pesos! Amazing!

3. The Ocean Wing Club. It's absolutely worth to pay the extra for this exclusive place to have a drink, snacks, and breakfast. The staff are wonderful there (especially Vanessa!) and it's the perfect place to hideout if the rain hits!

4. The fitness centre. Wow... Of course, it's a nice view to run with the ocean in the background, but the staff were just incredible. The moment I finished my workout, they were ready with a refreshing cold towel, an extra bottle of water, and a huge smile! Friendly and so helpful! They really made an impression!

Overall, the best birthday I've had in years! Special thanks to Marco Vazzoler, Alex Castaldi, Ghislaine Le, and their whole team for making my stay so memorable. Can't wait to be back!!!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SRG2215
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed August 17, 2014

I went to Shangrila Mactan with my wife and my 2 daughters one 6 year old and one 2 year old. The first day we were there it was raining so hard. My kids still had a great time as the hotel has a large kids zone. The Kid Zone area is a large indoor playground perfect for kids to burn some energy.

The next day the sun was out and we spent time at the beach and also went swimming at the pool. The swimming pool has a great kids play area has a water play ground. They also have fun slide.

We had a great stay and our kids had a great time. Great Job Shangrila! Worth every peso spent

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Raj S
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed August 16, 2014

First off, I'd like to mention that I understand sometimes during high season, things can get hectic. Also, I understand if a hotel caters to group tours, it's their business so I can't tell them what to do. Having said that, the following complaints should be addressed despite these.

1. Check-in : We arrived at 2am, with 2 young kids in tow. Although there were 4 staff members working the check-in, all 4 were handling group tours. There were 2 couples in front of me, not part of a group, and we were just waiting and waiting to check-in. We could see a huge stack of passports that the group guides were checking in, and they had to call a member of the group to come and sign something etc, so it was taking forever. Please, I understand the need to cater to group tours, but at least have 1 staff member dedicated to individual guests. We ended up checking in at 3am.

2. Towels : There were 2~3 instances when at the pool or the beach, you ran out of towels, and we were told to wait 20~30 minutes until they could get new ones. Unacceptable.

3. City shuttle bus : We took the bus out to the city, and when I was making the reservations, I specifically asked 2 times when the last bus was coming back. Both times I was told 8:20 pm, but when we got there, the driver told us the last bus back was 6:20 pm. The time we arrived was 6:15 pm. Again, the staff need to know the bus times.

4. Breakfast : We were told that the regular breakfast restaurant Tides was closed to renovation. What you failed to mention was that breakfast was also served at Aqua, but we were only directed to the Grand Ballroom, which was basically a large hall converted to a breakfast place, no windows very stuffy. Why did you not mention that Aqua was open for business in the morning? Don't understand.

5. Check-out : I called ahead for someone to come and pickup our luggage. we waited 10 minutes, nobody showed up.

We loved the beach, the staff otherwise were attentive and always smiling, never a "hello" unsaid, the wifi was easy to log into and fast, but the above mentioned complaints really spoiled it for us.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank BarryChoi
Marco V, General Manager at Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear BarryChoi,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We regret that we failed to demonstrate the Shangri-La service and hospitality that you have come to expect from us.

Your comments have been shared with the relevant department heads and we shall work together in the areas we certainly need to improve on.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to show better service in the future. If there is anything else you wish to discuss, please email me directly at marco.vazzoler@shangri-la.com.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#9 of 41 in Mactan Island
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#12 of 30 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!