“Pleasant stay on a very busy period”

Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Manila, Philippines
“Pleasant stay on a very busy period”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I joined the Ironman 70.3 Cebu with this hotel hosting the event. They did a great job considering the volume of people. we all had bikes and big stuff with us and I did not see any big degradation of service. 2500 athletes plus family and support teams.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I have stayed in several Shangri-La hotels in the past few years and none of them prepared me for what I encountered at this one.
Within half an hour of arriving I honestly felt like I was at a Butlins Holiday Camp in the 1980s, albeit one of their posher ones. I had always considered Shangri-La to be a grown-up luxury brand but this property is quite definitely geared towards children, from the flumes and other toys in the swimming pool, the E-zone for teenagers and the fun zone for younger children. The beach too was full of activities for children.
I tried to find a sedate restaurant for dinner and failed on day one - they were all over-run with children. Day 2 I discovered Cowrie Cove which was excellent.

My room was more in line with expectations although they could do with better soundproofing on the doors as whenever a bunch of people walked along the corridor I could hear their entire conversation.

I think it is safe to say I won't be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Skatexplorer
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

When talking about Hotel and its standard; for me, nothing beat Shangri-La.

The hotel has ambiance of "summer" because of its aqua color which is very relaxing.

Upon checking in, hotel will offer you juice as refreshment while waiting for your turn.
The room is big enough for a couple that will stay. We received a complimentary cake for celebrating our anniversary in their hotel. The staff are very friendly and approachable.

I really enjoy their pool. The water is not that too cold. They also have kid's pool.

And the most, exciting part... the buffet breakfast! yehey!

Different cuisine was offered and its very delicious. Standards of hotel both in province and in Manila are maintained.

Tip:
Hotel offer van transfer to/from Mactan airport. It is not included upon checking in.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Puerto Princesa, Philippines
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Everything went smoothly front airport transfer to breakfast. I just love hanging at the beach front and swimming in their crystal clear water with corals and fishes.

Food is expensive, taste is ok. There are a lot of activities for the kids. So if you're willing to splurge and you love the beach. I would recommend Shangri-la!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 4, 2014

My family stayed here for 4 nights for the Ironman event. The hotel and its surroundings are really beautiful but what made this stay not so perfect was the check in process.

There were about five people ahead of me in the line and I had to wait for an hour before my turn came. Yes, there were a lot of people checking in but considering that the rooms were already prepaid (through the Organizer) we were all wondering why they were taking soooo loooong to check us in. The lady in the check in counter kept on leaving her post to go inside a room behind the counter several times.

We had the deluxe seaview room and the view of the pool and the sea was really beautiful. Staff were nice and friendly. The buffet breakfast was good with lots of selections but they're basically the same everyday.

We had a great stay with all the festivities happening for the Ironman event despite the not so good check in experience.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Tonypet1
Marco V, General Manager at Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Dear Tonypet1,

Thank you for staying with us during the last Ironman. We are glad to hear you had a pleasant stay though we apologize for the long wait at check-in.

We certainly will look into our procedures to ensure guest comfort and convenience are not compromised. If there is anything else you wish to share, please do not hesitate to email me directly at marco.vazzoler@shangri-la.com.
Naples, Florida
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We came in last minute due to some issues at another hotel in Cebu. We were able to find rooms even though the hotel was showing 100% due to the Iron Man Philippines competition. There were over 5,000 working the event which had over 2,600 competitors. I really expected chaos, you can imagine the crowds of spectators there watching all the competitors. But somehow the management handled everything if top order.

I have to give a shout out for Terrance who met me many times everyday to make sure all was in order thank you sir! In addition, Marie Cess went way out of her way to make sure a special planned full day excursion to watch the whale sharks went off perfectly, so for that we than Marie Cess.

The hotel is situated on a small beach which is adjacent to a marine wildlife preserve which sports hundreds of species of fish, giant clams and a coral reef. Excellent snorkeling right off the beach, will yield an amazing view of marine life in a natural habitat. There is also a PADI dive center on sight offering a multitude of dives with skilled dive masters. There are various pools for swimming and other recreation.

The restaurants were good and the ambiance was incredible waterfront, pool side and in the lobby area. We had access to the club lounge which had a nice complete breakfast every morning and cocktails from 5 to 7 each evening.

There were poolside dinner performances on several nights. We had reservations for the Hawaiian Fire Dancers on Thursday evening. It was as good as any I have ever attended and I am a big fan of the good ones and this is one of the good shows. The dancers were enthusiastic and the drummers didn't miss a beat as for the fire!!! Wow! And my wife thought the buffet was the best meal she had on a trip that was into it's 24th day in several countries. There was evening entertainment in other venues as well nightly.

We also enjoyed the facilities of the Chi Spa on location. Private spa services, private pools and sauna's, professional massages and treatments.

This is a full service, well managed Five Star resort. One of a few select hotels I will plan to return to while not on a trip assignment.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Very beautiful hotel with nice friendly staff, great place to snorkel. Restaurants and food is mostly ok. Morning buffet is excellent but the Italian restaurant (Acqua) has average food (food is nice and fresh and nicely served but misses any real Italian taste).
On the other hand, some points were very annoying. The hotel is under reconstruction and there are construction works undergoing in at least 3 places at the time we stay there. Service is very late. At 12.00 I had a 15 minute foot massage but at 12.15 I was still waiting> Then I went to restaurant and I had to wait 50 minutes for a pizza even though the restaurant was only 10 % occupied, Then I went to the diving instruction and again staff was 20 minutes late.
The evening buffet is a challenge because they don't have enough umbrellas so you are experience the rain and can not relax eat. I explained all these points to the manager of duty but he did not really take seriously my comments.
And there were many other small issues that were annoying. So I don't want anymore to book holidays in Shangri-La hotel in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Stefaan C
Marco V, General Manager at Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Stefaan C,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience in the hotel.

We apologize for the service delays that you encountered during your stay and have discussed your experience with the relevant departments involved. We hope you will reconsider giving us another opportunity to demonstrate our genuine Shangri-La hospitality.

Please email me directly at marco.vazzoler@shangri-la.com should there be anything else you wish to discuss.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lapu Lapu
#9 of 42 in Mactan Island
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#12 of 31 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!