“A good place...”

Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed April 13, 2014

...to just have a holiday or meeting, like we had.

We arrived at the airport, all 20 of us to join other groups at the hotel for a meeting. Straight off, things were looking good with hotel reps clearly identifying themselves and sorting out our luggage and ourselves.

Arrival & check in at the hotel was the most easy I have ever experienced with us being whisked away from the other guests and into our own meeting place for registration, of course, with the attending mango juice. In 10 minutes, the whole group were being shown their rooms to freshen up and explore.

I must say, with the meeting times, we took a few days to explore the hotel with its many activities.

Lets start with the room. I had a garden (I think) facing room with a balcony. I think all rooms have balconies, but I may be wrong. I'm looking right at what seems like a nursery and the aircraft flight path. Not noisy though. Room was well appointed and if anyone has read my reviews, my pet hate is slow connection and lack of power points. My room had great connection speed and enough points, international points, I might add, so these deserve AAA rating. Bed was good as were the pillows. No stiff neck during the whole week. TV is LCD and enables me to hook up my hard drive to watch movies. bathroom amenities were more than adequate, although I usually bring my own stuff. Cleaners were very attentive and knew what to do. Good job there.

We only had breakfast at the outlets like Tides and Acqua, lunch being catered in a ballroom for us. Dinner is when we would go out and try the local fare. Breakfast, no drama. Has enough to cater for many tastes and what is there is all very palatable. Restaurant staff, like all staff elsewhere in the hotel were above par.

Catered lunch was good buffet as were the coffee breaks. I have to thank Demi & Paul for making the breaks enjoyable. They remembered how I liked my coffee exactly!!

On the subject of food, we had a gala dinner by the beach and food was great. I'm not a fussy eater, but I don't take too much. However, I found myself going back for more and more and more, tiny portions of course, it all adds up.

Activities? Anything you need....swimming, gym, spa, snorkelling, whatever....all catered for. My kids didn't want to leave even after a week.

Great live band as well, if I may add.

But as with any good hotel, staff is always the ones making the difference. This place has great people working there and they make our stay enjoyable, very enjoyable.

Would I return? You bet. My 3 year old is asking if we could have a holiday there again.

If you're the type to stay in a resort and make use of the facilities, the Shangri-La Mactan is a good place to do it. However, if you also like to explore the surroundings and get a bit of shopping done in modern malls, you'll find that its a bit far from those kind of places, like I did. But even then, the resort was lovely, the weather kind and the people more so.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Mike H

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Everthing is perfect!
It is the prrfact place for healing!
Beautiful beach. Pool. Trees. Spa.. food... everything was excellent!
Everthing is perfect!
It is the prrfact place for healing!
Beautiful beach. Pool. Trees. Spa.. food... everything was excellent!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
1  Thank Jeongseop P
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Very Good and nice to stay for business and pleasure...I had a great time during the week of stay. I recommend others to stay and conduct meetings in this hotel. I hope we can go back again here for another business meetings in the future...

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
1  Thank AnthonyMeer
Reviewed April 9, 2014

This hotel is outstanding in every way. We have been to it five times and have booked again. For the children the adventure zone is awesome. Our daughter plays there for hours and enjoys the slides and wonderful activities put on by the staff. The beach is really clean and beautiful, there are lots of pools (especially for the children too with shade, play areas and water slides). There are lots of activities for all the family to do or you can just relax. The entertainment in the evening is superb, live band in lobby bar is really talented. The staff make you feel so so welcome. Everywhere you go, even the maintenance people say hello with a smile and there is nothing that the staff will not do for you to make your stay more relaxing and enjoyable. This hotel really knows about excellent customer service! We felt like royalty most of the time. There is a good gym and the day spa is beautiful and very relaxing. The food is the best we have ever tasted, there are so many choices too so you never get bored. We can't say one negative comment about this resort, just one small and minor thing which could be viewed as good for non smokers. We can understand why you can't smoke at the poolside given sun beds close together, but at the beach there is a breeze and as long as you put cigarette buts in a bin or ashtray why can't you smoke there?? There are designated smoking areas throughout resort but if you are sunbathing, you have to keep getting up. By pool not an issue but should be more relaxed at beach. Just a minor comment as would not stop us coming back again and again and we are so thankful to the Shangri-la for making our holidays the best ever and employing such superb staff. Very very happy guests. Looking forward to our return.

Room Tip: Love the club rooms. The staff in the club are the best. Excellent value for money packages. Win...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank SarahHC9028SG
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stayed for several days. The resort had everything that we wanted. The service was impeccable. We were pleasantly pleased with a late night airport pickup when our plane was significantly delayed. We enjoyed the beach and pools. We dined poolside, beachside, in room and at the restaurants and enjoyed them all.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank waterfall9999
Reviewed April 8, 2014

we dropped by here on our way to oslob and ended up not wanting to leave as the place was like paradise. all the staff will never fail to greet you anywhere and any time you see them! super-friendly! you can see that they treasure service as they are hundreds of employees all serving you with a smiling face. all hotels should make shangri-la mactan a golden standard for service. we stayed at the ocean wing and at first we got disappointed because the view was a bunch of trees and a cemented road. the hotel was fully booked that day so we didn't have the chance to move. anyway, the room view will not really matter once you get to experience shangrila. amenities were awesome, just check out their website and all you can see there are true and more. each day they have a schedule for yoga, zumba, hikes and other stuff you can think of - its there. no, literally and i'm not kidding, everything you can think of. haha. we want to live here. all our friends tell us how beautiful it is here and now that we have experienced it, we just want to tell everybody how perfect this place is. now we understand why people stay here for weeks. prepare to be amazed. worth every penny. by far the most complete resort hotel we've stayed in the Philippines. a good upgrade would be if they have a bidet and a separate shower enclosure.
room: 5 of 5
amenities: 5 of 5
service: 1000 of 5
price: 4 of 5
food: 4 of 5
location: 5 of 5

Room Tip: take the ocean wing, lots of perks. try to get a room with a view, but it doesn't really matter...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We stayed at Shangrila hotel on our vacation is CEbu. The place is perfect, the food and everything was perfect on our stay in cebu, My family really enjoyed a lot, we went snorkling with the whalesharks, visited the cascading waterfalls and get amazed with the beauty of BOhol, We had Cebu Exclusive Holiday arranged our tour for us and everything was really awesome. Filipinos are really great no wonder lots of tourist keep on coming back in the Philippines! Perfect Vacation!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
#9 of 43 in Mactan Island
BE Resort, Mactan
BE Resort, Mactan
#16 of 32 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!