“Love the activities”

Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We were composed of 2 young families and 4 female friends. Personally, I love the daily activities the resort had offered during our stay. We tried the snorkeling safari and beat the pro tennis session. Our kids played in the daycare-like playground and stayed on the gaming area before we leave. We had also experienced transplanting corals with the marine biologist even though the sea was a bit rough. Our overall experience was really great (food, amenities, room, activities). However, before we leave, my friend's Cebuano father who was driving a multicab went to the hotel to give us take-home lechon and other pasalubong, was not given courtesy by the security and my friend interpreted it as "belittling" her father. I just hope it won't happen anymore.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 12, 2014

I am writing this review so others will not have to go through the extremely disappointing experience that we had!

1. Arrival - Front Desk was short-staffed and there was a long queue.
We had made reservations for 2 Rooms (1 Suite and 1 Deluxe). It took 2 hrs. for the Deluxe Room to be ready, and another 2 more hrs. for the Suite Room to be ready. A total wait time of 4 hrs after the official check-in time is absurd!

I requested Front Desk if we could temporarily have a Room where my elderly aunt, who was traveling with us, could rest but to no avail. We were very disappointed to say the least. We were so looking forward to check into our Rooms after a very tiring day of travel, clean off and relax. Instead, we were told to go and wait at the Lounge while our Rooms were readied.
To make matters worse, I had the unfortunate experience of dealing with an ill trained Hotel Staff, who as I understood it, was the "Manager" on duty at the Lounge.

There was only 1 Bathroom outside the Lounge, and it was occupied. As I stood there waiting, she happened to pass by, and she asked me if there was a problem. I told her - Yes, such a huge Hotel and there is only 1 Bathroom. She snapped at me, and answered in a condescending tone - "This is only the Lounge and not the entire Hotel". To which I asked her - isn't the Lounge part of the Hotel? She answered back in the same condescending and patronizing tone - "I will tell the General Manager", and then left.

I found this insulting. No words of assurances that the matter will be looked into! Such attitude from a Manager is setting the bar too low for the rest of the employees. A manager should have the knowledge and skill to handle a complaint effectively. The Hotel Staff should put an effort into making sure that they provide each guest equally with a good Hotel experience possible.

2. Wheelchair - When I made the Reservations, I specifically indicated that we have a physically challenged individual traveling with us.

The wheelchair that they gave us had a broken footrest. When I asked that it be changed, I was told that there was NO other wheelchair available. They assured me that they will come to our Room and replace it first thing in the morning. When nobody came the next day, I decided to call and follow up on it. It took them 3 hrs to bring in the replacement. But the situation did not get any better, because one of the locks of the replacement wheelchair that they brought in, was also broken. And once again, we were told that it was the only wheelchair that was available!!!

As to why this Hotel continues to offer broken wheelchairs for guests to use is beyond me! The cost to repair a wheelchair is very little, but the cost can be dire if an accident were to happen from using a broken wheelchair. These wheelchairs are very dangerous for anyone to use, much less for a person with a disability.

3. Front Desk Safe Room - Not secure.
I opted to check my personal valuables at the Front Desk safety box. I noticed that the Safe Room door is left open and unlocked. I called the attention of the Staff to it, how it was so easy for anyone to gain entry into the Room. He was nonchalant with his response, and said to me -"Just close it".

4. Departure - PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR HOTEL BILL! Erroneous Bill was sent to our Room.

I had to go to the Front Desk, and wasted a lot of time discussing the Bill with them. Their explanation was - "It was an error in our system" (whatever that means!), followed by a generic one liner apology of "Sorry for the inconvenience". Well, finally, my FIRST ever and ONLY apology from this Hotel!

We normally stay at Shangri-la properties because of their competent and outstanding service. However, the service at this Hotel is spotty at best. This Hotel could have been a nice go-to place for a little R and R, because of its proximity to Manila and to the local airport. However, it is NOT up to par with the other luxury Hotels, including the other Shangri-la Hotels, in the Philippines or abroad.

YOU ARE DEFINITELY AND CERTAINLY NOT GETTING YOUR MONEY'S WORTH!!!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank Zen313
Marco V, General Manager at Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Zen313,

Thank you for letting us know how your recent stay with us went. We are sorry to hear of your experience and apologize for the service lapse that you encountered. Clearly, we should have handled this better.

We have discussed your experience with the relevant departments involved and hope that you will give us the chance to restore your confidence in us. If you wish to discuss your concerns further, please get in touch with me directly at marco.vazzoler@shangri-la.com.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

We had such an amazing experience with this hotel and its exceptional staff. From the moment you walk in, you immediately feel like in another world, ready to relax and just enjoy all the resort has to offer. Every part of this resort is well maintained and tastefully decorated to give an island feel.

Our room had everything you would expect from a 5 star resort, and then some. The rooms are spacious and the bed is luxuriously soft and comfortable, as well as a bathroom equally large with separate shower and bathtub. But the other great things with the room are the turndown service, fruit on arrival, water bottles topped up twice daily, great quality bathroom amenities from l'Occitane and lots of it, loofahs and bath salts to help you relax, in room slippers and flip flops for the pool and beach, free in-room wifi, laundry powder, dental kits, pillow menus in case you're fussy about your pillows and every plug in the room is an international plug.

When you leave your room, there is absolutely lots of stuff to keep you occupied. This is true for both adults and kids. The pool area occupies a big space, with water guns, a waterfall, kids wading pool and 2 separate separate waterslides for kids catering for different age ranges. You may also be tempted to sleep in one of a few hammocks scattered around the pool. Plenty of deckchairs are available and the staff are so attentive and set up your chair with towels to ensure maximum comfort. This is also true if you decide to relax on a chair on their exclusive beach. The beach also opens out over some coral where you can enjoy some snorkelling. When you're not swimming, there is a 9 hole golf course, 18 hole mini-golf, arcades with games, a Wii and Knect, all for a small fee. There are free pool tables in the arcade or outside by the pool, plus table tennis, a library or if you're up for it, their modern and fully equipped gym.

For eating and drinking, there is no shortage of options. Depending on the cuisine you're after, there are restaurants for Chinese, Italian/mediterranean, grill/bbq, seafood, Filipino and burgers. Breakfast is a large assortment of everything, from local Filipino items, Japanese and Korean, cold cuts and general Western items. Breakfast venues have omlette stations and noodle stations as well. Although we were booked in the Ocean Club and had access to breakfast in the lounge, the options were much better in Acqua and Tides. Try the seafood in Cowrie Cove, with their generous, yet delicious serves. Plenty of bars are dotted on the property. Find one by the beach, the pool, up by the pier or in the lobby with live music. Since we had access to the Ocean lounge, we made use of the peace and quiet the lounge offered during the day, as well as the afternoon pre-dinner drinks and food offered complimentary.

For those that want the ultimate relaxation, the Chi spa connected to the resort is out of this world. It is a 1 hectare property, almost as if it's a completely separate resort, with individual treatment rooms.rices are much cheaper than what you pay in Europe or Australia, so definitely try for the experience.

Finally, the other factor that made our experience truly the best was the friendly service. Everywhere we went, we were greeted with a smile by courteous staff, even the ground maintenance and gardeners. We noticed how good staff were with the kids, entertaining the, by the beach, the pool and restaurants. For those with kids, there are also kids activity centres and staff there are also fantastic with the kids.

I can not recommend this place enough. Definitely come for an enjoyable and relaxing time, with or without kids.

Room Tip: If you have the spare cash, get the Ocean club room with Ocean lounge access. Well worth it, great w...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 11, 2014

This is my 3rd stay at shang mactan and it is indeed an excellent stay as always. From the airport rep and the driver who picked us up, they're very courteous and polite. The gsa who welcomed us, she's really nice and very much willing to assist. And to the concierge for their initiative to help. The service is impeccable, the facilities are very clean and luxurious, the wifi is totally awesome, u have signal everywhere even on the beach and while walking around the resort! Amazing! Though the price of the room is a bit expensive but its actually reasonable because of the facilities and service, but the food and drinks prices in the outlets is outrageous.. Better eat outside, there's a sutukil nearby.. It was also my belated gift for my sister and the guest relations team have done a very great job in fulfilling our small requests and going beyond our expectation. A very special thanks to Julie for taking care of us through out our stay, she's an asset to the hotel as she always looks after all the guests not only us (as what ive noticed while we were waiting for our transpo to the airport) and she knows how to deal with each one of them. I myself is also a manager in the front office that's why i kept on observing each and every staff :) in my opinion, i think she deserves to be on a higher position. Will definitely stay here again on my future visit in cebu.. Cant wait!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 10, 2014

A beautiful resort that far exceeded my expectations. We were travelling with family and our three year old granddaughter. There is nothing this resort had not thought of for our total enjoyment and comfort, and for a child of any age there were so many activities to entertain them constantly. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed, the garden is very beautiful, it is truly a paradise. The staff is delightful and looked after us so well. Our granddaughter's third birthday was made so memorable by these beautiful people.

Room Tip: A sea view is preferable.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Spent the weekend here after a busy conference. Beautiful hotel in a beautiful location on the best part of the island. Not too far from the airport. It's on the beach and has some excellent cane furniture. I actually liked a design so much I had a chair made when I got back to India. Despite a few reviews about the food I actually liked it and they had some interesting cocktails and mocktails on the menu that were well made and a nice place for seafood. Although I was alone there seemed to be plenty to do for the whole family. The staff were top notch and the room was tidied within a few minutes of me going down to lunch! Will definitely choose this place if i visit Cebu again with my wife.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We had done some research for our first family trip to Cebu and we were glad that we had chosen the Shangi-La. The resort is just a short trip from the airport and has an (artificial) beach and lots of fish in the sea. The family room was excellent, even it was not in the nicer ocean wing as we had booked. It seems our room had just been renovated and apparently re-classified. We went to all restaurants and food was good, but there seems to be a large price difference between locally available items such as chicken and imported food such as steak. The resort is ideal for kids with several pools, a small 'waterpark' and an indoor kids area with playpark (fee) On the other hand, the Spa was 'off limits' to kids. We also checked out the Moevenpick next door which has only a small beach and is next to a kind of port, but has a disco.

Though the resort is spacious, it felt very crowded during our stay around Xmas, even before the peak season on New Year. There were long waits to get an available table for breakfast, even though they had set up additional facilites in the ballrooms (!) which were naturally not nearly as nice. Also there was no chance to get any sunbed by the pool after 9 am or go to dinner without a day's prior reservation. Some of these issues could be easily sorted out by e.g. not making breakfast mandatory or setting up more sunbeds or parasols during peak times.
The other thing we noticed several times was the apparent better service for some locals, such as being allowed to jump the long queue at breakfast or much more attentive service, while we had problems even to place an order. Still not sure whether these are regulars who know how to 'game' the system (e.g. by calling 15 min earlier to have a table ready), high-class people who are used to 'boss around' the locals or staff who shys away from English speakers. My hunch is that they are known as better tippers as I gave a "baksheesh" to the pool attentant when I secured the last available sunbeds for the family and he kindly offered to 'reserve' these for us also for the next day...

Other points :
+ Strangely, I could not withdraw cash from the ATM at reception, but the ATM (from BPI) at the parking lot worked.
+ When we could not get dinner at the resort, we went outside. Just opposite the staff entrance behind the parking lot is the 'Hola Espana' restaurant which was good.
+ While the Shangri-la offers almost everything, I recommend to see more of the island and also do a shopping trip to a mall in Cebu City.

Room Tip: Family rooms are great.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
#9 of 43 in Mactan Island
Marco Polo Plaza Cebu
Marco Polo Plaza Cebu
#3 of 92 in Cebu City

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!