“Stay at Ocean Wing”

Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The Ocean Wing benefits are quite good. You get to enjoy the Club Lounge access before you check-in to the room and after you check-out of the room. All day Beverages & Snacks are decent, but the fun part of it all is the 5-7pm Cocktail hour. The food was sumptuous and the free flow of alcohol made us merry! Had to skip dinner!

There is free use of the Water Pavilion Chi - nice hydrobaths and jacuzzis. You also get to enjoy free snorkeling equipment and motorized sports. For kids, there are 2 complimentary tickets to enjoy some kids-oriented stuff (can't remember what it was, coz we didn't use it)

After checking out, we continued to enjoy the beach facilities (fantastic staff service) and had a nice jacuzzi and bath in the Health Club. Just before we boarded our complimentary airport shuttle, we raided the Club Lounge for a quick meal.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Recently stayed in Shangri la , mactan island with my family and we all enjoyed ourselves. Great service by the friendly staff. It's quite expensive to stay and dine here compared to the other resorts. The private beach is pretty and relaxing but not really that good for swimming as its quite shallow and full of sharp rocks and coral. The setting is great and very family friendly. The buildings are starting to look old but it's still well maintained.
Overall it was a good 4 day break, just bring your wallet.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I lived in Cebu for 6 years (I am a 11 years old). My parents took me alot (But I didnt always stay for the night, I just visited for the day) and it is amazing! The beach is beautiful, you are allowed to feed the fish. Me and my Best Friend used to go there like every 2 months with our families. You can pick out life jackets and, if you fancy an adventure, you can kayak and/or go on a Jetski!!! The oceans are safe and the most dangerous animal you can find is ether a sea urchin or a lion fish (Lion fish is extremely rare and can only be found in the deep water). There are tons of different types of fish dotted all ove the sea. Its spectacular! If you want, you can kayak over to a wooden platform away from shore, and you can jump off it! Also you can often see jumping fish in little schools jumping over from the middle of the ocean.

The rooms are beautiful. Most of them have balconies, which usually over-look the sea. Its cool because most of the hallways are open, not rooms, they have rails on the side so you can look into a mini garden. There are a few roomed-hallways, which has red carpeting.

Food: The best restsaurant by far was the main buffet (I apologise, I dont recall the name). It had a variety of different cultures (food) and had indoor seatings as well as out door.

There is an adventure zone for children up to 13 I think... It has a firemans pole and a side into a ball pit. Also includes 3 floors of diffrent adenturous activities! including a rope based bridge with wooden planks to step on, four ropes "Vines" to swing on to get across "lava" (Matty-thingie) plus many more (I know from experience!!)! Also there is a game room with a pool table, fooz-ball table, arcade games, and much, much more.

Shangrila Mactan has many more wonderful features. If you want a) a resort b)excellent service c)Wonderful food+rooms d)Lots of activities plus many more, Shangrila Mactan is your best choice. The only problem is that its quite a drive from the main city, but if you stay there for a few days, you wouldnt need to leave the hotel. I now live in Dubai and last visited it there 2 years ago. I must say that it has not in any way disapointed me, if anything its improved!

Note: I didnt visit in April 2012, its just that it didnt say " July 2011"!

Room Tip: I recommend upgrading to a higher-standard room as they are more modern then the others.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Yorkshire_Las4eva
Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is probably one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in! It is certainly quite dear per night but well worth it.

The rooms are spacious with a huge bathroom. Although they are a dated in terms of decor it is still very comfortable to stay in. Rooms are clean and well looked after. You do of course receive free complimentary bottles of water. The beds were large and soft and the A/C very quiet. Our room had a little balcony overlooking the edge of the swimming pool. It was nice to relax outside but the resort itself is beautiful so didn't spend a lot of time on our balcony.

As for the resort itself, well, it's stunning! There's a lot of garden areas and they have a large spa area called the Chi Spa which is beautiful and relaxing. Although I didn't get any treatments there I did look inside and I can only imagine how relaxing having a massage or treatment there would be!

The resort has their own private beach area which is lovely. They have a pagoda overlooking the sea with lots of loungers on the beach itself. They offer a wide range of water activities and we took up the jet skis which was quite expensive for the hour but worth it all the same. I did take a look at the neighbouring Hilton hotel and their beach wasn't nearly half as good as the Shangri-La's. The hotel also has an infinity pool which overlooks the beach.

The reception area is extremely large and very luxurious. There's plenty of places and space to walk around without feeling enclosed in any way. The staff at reception are very welcoming and polite. There are a couple of bars and restaurants dotted around the hotel. Our package had complimentary buffet breakfast and the selection was exceptional! A lot of different nationalities of food available and all fresh.

The only problem I had with this hotel is that it's quite far away from the city. You will need to take the shuttle bus. If you stay in the hotel you end up eating in the hotel which is quite expensive and dinner served in their restaurants wasn't as good as their breakfast! There are some restaurants at the entrance to the resort which you can walk to. But although they were cheap you get what you pay for, to put it politely.

Overall a fantastic hotel with large beautiful open grounds and excellent private beach. Staff were all courteous and friendly. Great selection for their buffet breakfast and good choices of water activities available. I would recommend a stay for only a few nights as Cebu has so much to offer than just the resort.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stay on this hotel for business trip. overall I am very pleased with the service.
the room is very comfortable and clean.
food quality is good, but I would like to recommend the Chinese restaurant inside the hotel. they provide a good food and very good services.
the staff are very nice, there are even dedicated staff for foreign languages (such as Korean) standby in the reception area - I don't know if they still have it or not, but that's what I have last time I stay on the hotel.
The hotel is outside of the city, but there is shuttle bus from the hotel to some shopping mall in the city. I cannot remember if it is free of charge or not, but I think I paid some money for the shuttle services (return).

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank AndriasWibowo
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I wanted to have a relaxing, worry free, wonderful vacation by the beach. The Shangri-La Mactan delivered all of these. As we entered the lobby, the openness made one feel so relaxed. As we entered the room and we saw the ocean view we knew we would have a grand time. The resort had so many activities. One can choose to learn to dive, jet ski, banana boating, para sailing and swimming in the different pools, but we chose to check out the Marine Sanctuary.
For me, this is a MUST for any visitor. The staff by the beach gave us free "fish food" and we walked slowly into the water. There were several sharp rocks so do not forget to bring your "reef/beach shoes" to avoid any injuries. We snorkeled and fed the fish. It was amazing! It was like swimming in an aquarium. We saw several species of colorful tropical fish swimming around us as we released the "fish food" slowly from our hand. It was an unforgettable experience. For a non diver like me, this would be a rare chance to see all these fish up close. It is a must visit resort and a must try activity!

Room Tip: It is more pricey but worth it, choose the Ocean View Room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is the only Shangri-la Resort I've stayed in that doesn't live up to expectations. I booked a suite in the Ocean Wing and when we arrived, the room wasn't really in the Ocean Wing. We just had access to the Ocean Club Executive Lounge. It was old and I felt like I wouldn't be comfortable staying in it. We decided to upgrade to another suite. We paid more but at least the room was modern. But still, it is overpriced for its kind. I've stayed in more luxurious resorts for less price. The food in the restaurants are ordinary. What is most unbelievable is after paying so much for the room, they charged us for the shuttle to the city! To think this is their bus that takes in passengers to and fro malls and the resort in a set schedule. What hotel charges for that?! They even make you wait in the bus while you wait for other passengers and for the set departure time. It's not a private shuttle and you would save more time and money taking a taxi!

There are many things for kids to do, there's an adventure zone and pools are child friendly. But this resort is too overrated and overpriced for its kind.

Room Tip: Ocean wing rooms are better than the atrium rooms or those in the main wing.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
#9 of 42 in Mactan Island
BE Resort, Mactan
BE Resort, Mactan
#12 of 31 in Lapu Lapu

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!