“Disappointing. Would not recommend.”

Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Shanghai, China
“Disappointing. Would not recommend.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is my first negative review and I had hoped to not have to write one, but the experience my husband and I had needs to be mentioned.

My husband and I were really excited about staying at this hotel. The trip was our "baby moon" and also my birthday celebration. Unfortunately, the hotel was just not the 5-star hotel that it had claimed to be. We've stayed at many resorts in our 2 years of travel as expats and this was by far the worst. Everything is overpriced and the staff were quick to turn our complaints back on us... we were the ones with the problem they said. I kept telling my husband that I felt like a third class citizen on the Titanic. If the Shangri-La boat was sinking, they'd save the Ocean Wing people first, the staff second and then us.

Pros:
- Beautiful beach (a little rocky though)
- OK breakfast buffet
- CHI spa is wonderful (expensive, but worth it)
- Shuttle service to Cebu city and airport ($)
- Great gym (friendly staff)
- Room service

Cons:
- Smoking (floor non-smoking, but smoking anyways)
- Rude staff
- No chairs at pool or beach (beach staff tipped to put towels on chairs for guests at 6 AM!)
- Expensive (everything costs money, even kids activities; on excursions you are nickeled and dimed)
- Hard bed
- Doors slam loudly when shut; woke us up at all hours
- Outdated room (unless you pay a small fortune and stay in the Ocean Wing)
- Felt very isolated at hotel because not a lot of options
- Very crowded when we were there

Such a disappointing trip. We have no desire to return to the Shangri-La in the Philippines and are re-thinking staying at others in the future.

Room Tip: Apparently you need to stay in the Ocean Wing to get the best quality and service possible. It is a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Littlegrl401
JuergenDoerr, General Manager at Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for giving your feedback. We are very concerned to hear about the issues you raised, and would appreciate if you could share more details so we can effectively address these. Please contact me directly at juergen.doerr@shangri-la.com.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (632)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

This hotel is by far the BEST property I've ever stayed at. We upgraded to the Ocean tower so that we could get a beach & pool view. Also, we got access to the ocean club which gave us snacks all day long and cocktail hour from 5:00-7:00pm along with some canapes. Daily breakfast was included with our package. The food was fantastic and the service was even better. I was craving cuchinta - A filipino rice cake. I asked the chef if they had it and he said "sorry ma'am, we don't have any" Within 10 mins he came to my table and handed me a plate of cuchinta. I was impressed that he even remember what I looked like.
They do have a shuttle that takes you into the city. If you are comfortable with taking a taxi and have more than 3 people in your party, it is cheaper to take a taxi.
They have everything from minigolf, to a full on golf course. Jet ski, tennis, numerous pools, a gym, games room, ping pong, WiFi all over including the beach area and the list of amenities goes on an on.
I recommend this hotel to everyone. It is a bit on the higher end of the price scale, but it's worth every penny.

Room Tip: UPgrade to the Ocean tower and ocean club with a panoramic view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sunnytravelgirl
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Great hotel at Cebu you can comfortably spend a weekend with good foods, nice beach. There are about two signature restaurant serve Italian food and seafood, and one pool side and beach side cafe is also a great place to hangout. The beach offer difference water sports and its not difficult to swim out a bit for more coral at the bottom.
In-room facilities are standard chain hotel group type, do not expected much. Free wifi is also becoming standard offering.

Avoid going there in the first weekend of August since there is ironman race in Cebu you will see lot of sweaty athletic rushing for foods or walking with bike for their preparation. Or you will be motivated by the spectating the race.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank charlescyhui
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed the hotel facilities, great beach, snorkeling, mini golf and children's pool activities. Everyone found something interesting every day. Also used jet skis, island hopping tour and para sailing as reasonable paid activities. Tended to use AQUA for most meals including breakfast buffet, dinner risotto excellent as well as lamb and pasta dishes, some excellent wines found but fully priced. Key to all stays at Shangri la chain is the attentive and pro active staff, they always excel in making each stay an experience. Highly recommend Macatan Island Shangri La for family vacations or short breaks.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

The hotel and grounds are spectacular. I stayed for 5 days recently and contrary to my usual travel behavior I not once left the hotel grounds. Snorkling, Jetskiing, relaxing by the various pools, swimming in the sea with the tropical fish it pretty much sums up paradise for me.

Stayed in a renovated the luxe seaside room, bed is pretty good, the room is slightly outdated in some area's but overall clean and well kept. there are several restaurants on the grounds, including two that also serve a breakfast buffet. From Cebu airport it is only a 15 car drive to the hotel, opted for a hotel car.

The staff are great, the food is excellent and for a resort not too outrageously priced. When you check in they offer you a full inclusive package, i declined this as I don't like buffet dinning but for couples traveling with children that could be a good option (it is a great place for children for sure).

I will most certainly go back again.

Room Tip: Go for the renovated sea side rooms, the view sitting on your balcony is breathtaking
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

We spent one week over New Years eve at this hotel. The facilities for children are awesome, they even organised their own New Years eve party for the little ones, and this is why I rate this hotel up to average overall. But, on the other side, the service...well...I would be kind to them and just called it below average. Granted, a couple of months before we had been at the Abaca hotel, a boutique hotel just a couple of hundreds of metres for them, with impressive service but not an easy hotel when you are travelling with 4 children 3 years of age and under. We took a total of 4 bedrooms, 5082, 5096, 5097 and 5117. I wont bore you with every detail, I just will give you a couple of examples of things I found very poor regarding the service. (1) My husband is member of the Shangri La Golden Circle, which usually entitles you to a late check out up to six pm. Additionally, my helper (who arrived a couple of days later) checked in at 12 but was not given a room until 5 pm, as there was no room available. My husband left one day before the rest of the group. On the check out day, I requested a late check out, which was denied. When I mentioned my husband was a golden circle member, I was told that we had lost the right to late check out because he left the day before :-o. They also disregarded the fact that my helper was not given the room until 5 PM. All of it on the grounds the "they were fully booked". Upon my insistence, the lady at the desk said "she would speak to the manager and come back tome" She did not, so I went to the front desk at 11 am and was again told they were "fully book and I needed to leave the room vacant". To which I responded that I understood that they were busy but We were catching a flight at 8 pm and, with so many children, we needed a room until five. And then the unexpected happened! I was told, a room would be available until 5 pm if I was to pay half a daily rate! My jaw dropped to the floor, I could not believe what I was hearing, but as we really needed a room that I just got my Visa out and paid! (2) another detail: in all the restaurants they have a note indicating that if you have a dietary restriction to let the service know. One of the persons in the group is allergic to gluten. On day one we asked if they had gluten free bread. Amswer: No. Maybe then gluten free cookies? Answer: No. Any other thing gluten free? Answer: No! Any chance to get it, since we Re going to be here for a week? Nope!...well still wondering if they just meant to say the liked to HEAR about the dietary restrictions but not do anything to help.
Finally, the rooms we stayed in really needed some updating. having to wait until 3/4 pm to have them done did not help either.
Would I come back? if your priority is to have your children entertained inside the hotel, definitely, this is the place. If you travel without children or their entertainment is not the priority, I would suggest you look for other options.
Hope this helps.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lourdes V
JuergenDoerr, General Manager at Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Lourdes,

Thank you for letting us know about the challenges you encountered during your stay. We are concerned as this is not representative of the Shangri-La experience that we are committed to delivering to all our guests. We will be looking into the points you have raised and taking the appropriate actions. I would also appreciate if you could contact me directly at juergen.doerr@shangri-la.com so we can discuss your feedback further.

We hope to welcome you and your family back one day.

Thank you.
Manila
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

for the price of the hotel, i expected luxurious rooms, new bathrooms and very good entertainment and dining facilities. The resort was okay but not special enough for me to want to go back to. Food was expensive , serving very small and options limited. Eating outside the hotel was a little difficult as the hotel is far from the city and other eating options. The thing i liked about the resort is that it was sprawling so that you could find your own private spot. However, 3 day stay is more than enough as there really was nothing much to do in the resort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
#9 of 41 in Mactan Island
Waterfront Airport Hotel and Casino

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!