This is my first negative review and I had hoped to not have to write one, but the experience my husband and I had needs to be mentioned.
My husband and I were really excited about staying at this hotel. The trip was our "baby moon" and also my birthday celebration. Unfortunately, the hotel was just not the 5-star hotel that it had claimed to be. We've stayed at many resorts in our 2 years of travel as expats and this was by far the worst. Everything is overpriced and the staff were quick to turn our complaints back on us... we were the ones with the problem they said. I kept telling my husband that I felt like a third class citizen on the Titanic. If the Shangri-La boat was sinking, they'd save the Ocean Wing people first, the staff second and then us.
- Beautiful beach (a little rocky though)
- OK breakfast buffet
- CHI spa is wonderful (expensive, but worth it)
- Shuttle service to Cebu city and airport ($)
- Great gym (friendly staff)
- Room service
- Smoking (floor non-smoking, but smoking anyways)
- Rude staff
- No chairs at pool or beach (beach staff tipped to put towels on chairs for guests at 6 AM!)
- Expensive (everything costs money, even kids activities; on excursions you are nickeled and dimed)
- Hard bed
- Doors slam loudly when shut; woke us up at all hours
- Outdated room (unless you pay a small fortune and stay in the Ocean Wing)
- Felt very isolated at hotel because not a lot of options
- Very crowded when we were there
Such a disappointing trip. We have no desire to return to the Shangri-La in the Philippines and are re-thinking staying at others in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked in lush tropical landscape and with a crystalline coastline, Shangri-La's Mactan Resort and Spa, Cebu is the premier, award-winning deluxe resort property in the Philippines. It has won acclaim from both domestic and international travelers for its spacious and well-appointed 530 guestrooms and suites, the variety of its dining, entertainment, sports and recreational activities offered in its paradise-like setting and as home to CHI, The Spa at Shangri-La, one of the largest spa villages in Asia.Nestled amidst 13 hectares of lush greenery, landscaped gardens and with a 350-meter white-sand beach, Shangri-La's Mactan Resort and Spa, Cebu is the quintessential modern-day paradise. It is an exciting refuge for nature lovers and a favorite among holidaymakers, as it combines rustic surroundings, modern conveniences and genuine Asian hospitality that are distinctly Shangri-La. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Orbitz, Hotwire, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Mactan Hotel Lapu Lapu
- Shangri-La`s Mactan Resort And Spa
- Shangri Las Mactan Hotel
- Shangri La Cebu
- Shangri La Mactan
- Shangri Las Mactan Lapu
- Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa Cebu Island/Mactan Island