If you are looking for a resort to relax, unwind, and just do nothing, the Shangri-la at Mactan is the place to be. Located on Mactan Island, the resort is a 15-minute drive from the Cebu airport. After a long journey, a short ride to the hotel is always a welcome. The resort staff were friendly and always available to help. They upgraded us to a suite, which included a living room, a maid's room, which was the smaller than what I would call a walk-in closet in the US, two bathrooms, and a very large balcony with two lounge chairs and resting area. I could have been happy just to spend the vacation in our room ordering room service around the clock.
However, I was in Cebu to take a GUE dive course, which took place at Scotty's dive shop, located on the grounds of the hotel, and I did not have time to enjoy the amenities of the hotel much. If I hadn't been there for a dive course, I would have lounged by one of the two pools, worked out in the fitness gym, sipped cocktails in several of their bars, or just read and napped in a lounge chair in the privacy of our living-room sized balcony. Because the dive course required almost 12hours of theory/diving, I was a little disappointed that I could not truly enjoy all the hotel amenities. However, we made it back to the hotel a few evenings to catch the cocktail hour in the executive lounge and the staff members were wonderful. They kept our wine glasses full.
Just a few minutes walk outside the hotel entrance there are a few restaurants that offer a change from the resort restaurants. We tried Michelangelo's for their pizza. It was okay, but not good enough for us to leave the resort again for another meal. Both Acqua and Cowrie Cove were okay hotel food - nothing spectacular but easy and convenient. We had a list of restaurants we wanted to try in Cebu, but because of our late finishes each evening and the bad Cebu traffic, we opted not to venture out into Cebu late for dinner. After a full day of diving, all we wanted to do was have a glass or two of wine, eat a few bites and go to bed. However, if we were to go back to stay at the resort, without other commitments, we would definitely try the Cebu restaurants recommended by others.
There is a marine sanctuary just off the beach from the hotel. Because visitors have taken to feeding the fish, it's easy to step into the ocean and have a swarm of fish swimming around you, hoping for a morsel of food. I have never experienced that before-shooing schools of fish away from my face. The resort has all the water-activities you could want-scuba diving, snorkeling, banana-boating, jet skiing, etc. Although my husband and I were there as a couple, the resort is perfect for families because there are lots of activities for kids - water slides, jungle gyms, kids activities - and an area where you can drop off your kids, if parents need an "adult' break.
I recommend the resort for couples, families, friends and business travelers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked in lush tropical landscape and with a crystalline coastline, Shangri-La's Mactan Resort and Spa, Cebu is the premier, award-winning deluxe resort property in the Philippines. It has won acclaim from both domestic and international travelers for its spacious and well-appointed 530 guestrooms and suites, the variety of its dining, entertainment, sports and recreational activities offered in its paradise-like setting and as home to CHI, The Spa at Shangri-La, one of the largest spa villages in Asia.Nestled amidst 13 hectares of lush greenery, landscaped gardens and with a 350-meter white-sand beach, Shangri-La's Mactan Resort and Spa, Cebu is the quintessential modern-day paradise. It is an exciting refuge for nature lovers and a favorite among holidaymakers, as it combines rustic surroundings, modern conveniences and genuine Asian hospitality that are distinctly Shangri-La. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Mactan Resort And Spa
- Shangri-La`s Mactan Hotel Lapu Lapu
- Shangri Las Mactan Hotel
- Shangri La Cebu
- Shangri La Mactan
- Shangri Las Mactan Lapu
- Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa Cebu Island/Mactan Island