“Sweet Luxury in the Philippines” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa

Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Lapu Lapu
Toronto, Canada
“Sweet Luxury in the Philippines”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

We stayed in an Ocean Club room in the Ocean Wing of the resort. An Ocean Club room gets you on a more private side and you get access to a quieter breakfast and cocktail lounge which serves snacks and desserts in the afternoon and cocktails/beverages throughout the day. It is a good benefit for those who don't like rushed breakfast crowds. It is also nice to have a private check-in by the lounge so that you can sip a cool drink while they work on getting you checked in. At first, we were given a room with a pool view although we were supposed to get an oceanview, However, they switched us without complaint. The view was amazing and picturesque, but the room was pretty standard, nothing very fancy in my mind for the price we paid. It was clean and had good French toiletries but it was rather small and the TV was outdated. The service is above and beyond, and everyone was friendly.

As for the not so positive side of the resort, there is a lack of good restaurants on the property, especially Filipino food. Since it is a resort, you cannot really walk anywhere outside of the area. As everything was pretty expensive, I felt that there needed to be more casual places to eat onsite. However, the breakfast buffet is very tasty and filling, and if you plan right, you probably won't need to eat lunch at the hotel anyway. Filipino breakfasts are quite heavy by American standards, as the a common breakfast is to eat rice, eggs and fish or sausages, then follow that with fruit and pastries and more coffee. They had a lot of variety and there are Filipino, Chinese and Western choices. However, if planning for more casual or cheaper fare, plan on visiting one of the numerous shopping malls for lunch or dinner. The shuttle buses run frequently to these places from the hotel.

I also visited the Chi Spa - what a lovely experience! First, my mother and I were picked up in the evening in front of the hotel with a golf cart (yes, the Ocean Wing is a bit of a distance from the spa area, especially in the heat of the Philippines!). and we were transported to a very serene, zen-like place. The spa grounds were designed as a Japanese garden, lit up with glowing red, ambient lighting and flowing creeks that ran between small huts and pagodas. We were told to change into robes and shower if we wanted to, which we did and then we sat outside under a pagoda, sipping scented green tea. We then were brought to a large couples room where they would massage us in tandem. The massage was heavenly, and my mother fell asleep snoring, it was that good! hehehe... I had to mention the spa, as most people coming to Shangri-La are there on a special occassion such as a honeymoon, so this spa is not to be missed! You could also eat a "healthy meal" at the spa under the pagoda if desired. There are also private pools for his and her to bathe au naturale. You can tell that this place caters to the ultra-pampered guests. It was pure luxury, and a highlight of our trip!

As for the beach, while small, was not crowded at all, but we were in the off season of September. It had beautiful white sand, a few rocky formations to climb up on to get some more views, a shallow shore (with some rocky areas, so you should try to wear beach shoes in the water), and nice snorkeling. There aren't much waves here, so if you're planning to "surf" this is not the place to be at. They had a really good beachside cafe where you can order some appetizers, desserts and drinks, but it is really tiny. They also had several swimming pools. I was rather surprised, but the water temperature was pleasantly "cool" and I was rather thinking it would be very warm water. This is fine in the heat and humidity of the Philippines!

Overall, it was a pleasant, luxurious experience, with few things to complain about so long as you don't mind the price that comes with it.

Room Tip: Get a room in the Ocean Club, they have better views and an excellent private lounge for a more quie...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
QC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

Went to shangrila mactan with our 20month old baby, who enjoyed his stay very much.

1)Service was great, the staff were very friendly and well trained

2)Food- we tried the food at the tides and it was really good, breakfast had a number of choices and my son ate free for all the meals

3)stayed at the premiere gardenview-2nd floor ocean wing
the rooms are abit tired already, its carpeted but part of the room had a smell, to fix the smell they placed a humidifier in the room and it worked okay...My brother was staying at the the deluxe seaview room (newly renovated) I liked it much better as it didnt have any carpet in it thus no smell and the views were much better

they were very generous with the complimentary water and use of towels.

3) they had a kids place called adventure zone and another for toddlers called toddler zone-- bring socks for both parent and kid/s to be able to use the facility

Room Tip: -advatage of ocean wing is that it is very near the beach, infinity pool,acqua resto(italian resto...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank WGN778
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

The Good
1. Beautiful Beach (white sand)
2. Housekeeping cleaned our room and replenished our supplies twice a day
3. Free shuttle to airport and city center (only till 5pm though)

The Bad
1. Overpriced car rental and restaurants
2. Bay view and Garden view rooms are exactly the same but they charge more for the Bay view room
3. Half-board is more expensive than paying for the $30 dinner (per night)

The Ugly
1. Management doesn't allow front desk to call taxi for guests (yes you read that one right) and they don't allow taxi to enter the hotel property unless they have passengers staying at the hotel.
2. Hotel employees. Asked personal questions throughout our stay. Especially this one employee who harassed my gf while I was outside the hotel property trying to get taxi. It was after 5pm and the shuttle service was no longer available. I know they're probably just trying to be friendly but they can't seem to differentiate between casual convo vs prying.
3. Atmosphere. There are armed guards throughout the hotel. Exactly what are they trying to protect us from? Is it that dangerous outside? It made us feel secure however we felt unsure about leaving the property.
4. The clientele. People staying here seem to be a bit uncivilized. On more than one occasion men between 50's and 60's gave my gf inappropriate stares.

Room Tip: Note: we stayed in this hotel back in September 2006. I modified my review and the travel dates did...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank FrequentFlyer19
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

We had a great time with the excellent facilities such as the multi-level pools, health club, spa, salon, play areas and comfortable accommodations. There are lots of activities to choose from such as water sports (snorkeling, scuba diving, jet ski, etc), tennis, table tennis, mini golf, golf, game room with video games, air hokey, billards, board games or hanging out in the white sand beach. There is something to do for all members of the family.

Room Tip: The sea view room with balcony allows you to listen to the live band performing every night at the l...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Royal Oak, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

Okay, so we all know that the Shangri-La is phenomenal. The reviews are all true - the grounds are beautiful, the beach is gorgeous, the service is, in my opinion, the best you'll find. Having said all of that, here are the details for a family traveling with two small children that I know I would love to know:

1) bring beach shoes. The sand is not the powdery, soft sand. It's a little rough. And while you can walk in the water in sandy spots, it's a fish sanctuary so there is a lot of coral. I cut my foot. Also, bring snorkel gear if you've got it.

2) you can buy beach toys at a shop there. We got a bucket with sand toys and a little inflatable boat deal for my son, and all together I think it was about $20US. So reasonable.

3) If you request in advance, you can reserve a baby bed. Not the scary rickety ones like elsewhere in Asia, but a bona fide Graco pack n play, with bedding in it to soften the landing a little. I also had my two-year-old son and requested a single mattress on the floor for him and that was set up for us on our arrival as well

4) I feel like their web site doesn't really explain the difference between the Ocean Wing and the regular part. The Ocean wing is by far the closest to the beach. It has its own restaurant, Acqua (italian) and has a pool right there. The bigger pool and the kids' water activities are closer to the main wing but with small kids you're all over the place anyway. For us it was much better to be closer to the beach because we found ourselves going back and forth more.

5) The babysitting service is fabulous. For about $7 US an hour you can reserve a babysitter in advance. Our babysitter was Evangeline and she was wonderful with both my 8-month-old son and my 2 1/2-year-old son.

6) There was a minibar in our room and we could fit a pint of skim milk ordered from room service in there. The sell milk at the lobby bar but only whole milk, which seemed a little strange when we tasted it.

7) There are baby chairs everywhere at the restaurants

8) Like at any hotel, bring lots of extra bags to pack up dirty diapers and wet clothes. If you forget them, you can steal a few from the front desk.

9) We went to the SM mall. About 45 minutes in a taxi. The area around the resort is quite depressed, as you can imagine, and you can see that the living conditions are difficult (to say the least). <I should mention that you have to go through a security desk to get on the grounds, they have a sniffer dog to check each car and there are barricades). Anyway, the SM mall is like a huge cosmopolitan mall with literally every store we could imagine. In the basement are tons of kid carnival-like rides. Just being honest, we were a little more wary in the basement. It seemed different from the rest of the mall to us. I was encouraged to leave my jewelry in the hotel safe before leaving the resort and in the basement of SM, I was glad I did.

10) You can rent pretty much anything you want to by the hour; snorkel gear, kayaks, wind surfers, etc.

11) In December, it wasn't buggy at all. Perfect for sitting outside on our lit balcony playing cards once our kids went to bed. Sure beat sitting in the bathroom playing cards! (I know all parents of little kids can relate to this one)

12) Buy waters in your departure airport before coming if you want them. I got one to make a bottle once we arrived and it was outside in some crazy people-packed barricaded area of the airport and was so hard to get. No waters in the airport transfer vehicle.

I would be happy to answer any other questions if you have them! I think it's hard to find good reviews from families with small children so I'm always happy to help. Enjoy! And book it - trust me, you won't regret it :)

Room Tip: We were in room 4014. This is the Ocean wing garden view, but we had an awesome ocean view.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank JGordon
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

I was "stuck" in Cebu for a week, and the company was nice enough to put me up in the Shangri-la, and I have to say the staff and hotel are very nice, and everything you expect from the Shangri-la Hotel Group

If you are in Mactan, and need a nice hotel with good food, and good service, I think there is no way you can find a better hotel

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Berlin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

Very good hotel, not excellent. Very crowded over christmas,waiting lines for breakfast tables, not enough umbrellas at the pool. Main pool water not very clean. Simply too many rooms for existing facilities. Very good location, fantstic sea life close to beach. Service friendly and capable. Very good breakfast buffet. Cuisine otherwise not very special but prices moderate, so in sum ok. great garden. Very suitable for families with kids.

• Stayed December 2011
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
#9 of 41 in Mactan Island
Waterfront Airport Hotel and Casino

Been to Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!