We decided to spend the long weekend bonding with the kids and we definitely booked at the right place. The hotel is very child-friendly and this not just the opinion of a mother of two young children (6 and 3) but a general observation from a parent. There were many activities (for very reasonable prices--given that it is a 5-star hotel) to choose from.
Our room was on the 5th floor of the old wing. We were supposed to have a garden view but we were too low to see anything but the top of the canopy of the hotel frontage. Plus a view of the Hilton next door. This wasn't a big issue though since we only retired to the room to sleep at night or for the kids to take catnaps. Room was well-maintained. The bed was very comfortable. Toilet was very clean.
The food was very, very good. We had buffet breakfast and dinner at Tides, a buffet breakfast and a la carte lunch at Acqua and an a la carte lunch at Tea of Spring. Almost everything was perfectly prepared. The selection was not as extensive as what other hotels offered but it was impressive none the less and the food quality (freshness, presentation and taste) more than made up for this fact.
I tried the Chi Spa while the kids were taking an afternoon nap. I booked a two and half hour treatment -- Enchanted Journey, I think it was called. The spa complex is about a 3 minute walk away from the main hotel through lush greens. The unimposing gate leading to the complex sets you on a path direct to the main building of the spa which has a pyramid/fountain surrounded by a carp pond at the entrance. I had already made a booking at the spa desk in the lobby and was expected. My therapist, Noemi led me to my treatment room/suite which is an experience all by itself. I felt very indulgent the whole time. A private toilet, foot wash, a bath in coconut milk outside in the garden, a private sauna followed by a massage and a body scrub. Everything was very discreet and Noemi alerted me to her approaching with the use of a bell. That was one of the best spa experiences I have ever had and I was sorely tempted to extend my treatment. My husband also had the foot reflexology massage and he swears it was great as well.
The kids also enjoyed themselves. Like I said, the hotel is very child-friendly. They have Adventure Zone for children 0-12 years old with different age-appropriate activities scheduled hourly. There is E-zone (billiards, internet, videoke) and Time Zone (arcade games) as well. The swimming pool/s are of varying depths with a water slide, basketball hoop, volleyball net for more water fun.
We didn't get to swim at the beach because the waves were a bit strong. However, we hung out at dusk. My husband and I lounged around while the kids played in the sandcastle area. We also did some fishfeeding.
Most important of all was that the service was impeccable. The staff were always smiling and ready to serve. My husband and I were very, very impressed!
My 6-year old probably said it best, "I want to live here forever and ever!"
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked in lush tropical landscape and with a crystalline coastline, Shangri-La's Mactan Resort and Spa, Cebu is the premier, award-winning deluxe resort property in the Philippines. It has won acclaim from both domestic and international travelers for its spacious and well-appointed 530 guestrooms and suites, the variety of its dining, entertainment, sports and recreational activities offered in its paradise-like setting and as home to CHI, The Spa at Shangri-La, one of the largest spa villages in Asia.Nestled amidst 13 hectares of lush greenery, landscaped gardens and with a 350-meter white-sand beach, Shangri-La's Mactan Resort and Spa, Cebu is the quintessential modern-day paradise. It is an exciting refuge for nature lovers and a favorite among holidaymakers, as it combines rustic surroundings, modern conveniences and genuine Asian hospitality that are distinctly Shangri-La. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Travelocity, Agoda, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, Hotwire, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Mactan Resort And Spa
- Shangri-La`s Mactan Hotel Lapu Lapu
- Shangri Las Mactan Hotel
- Shangri La Cebu
- Shangri La Mactan
- Shangri Las Mactan Lapu
- Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa Cebu Island/Mactan Island