“Just an OK experience”

Ranked #42 of 55 Lapu Lapu B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Just an OK experience”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

As part of our stay in Cebu Mactan Island, we chose the Island Stay Hotel given the nice prices we paid. Since this was going to be a budget stay, we didn't expected too much from our stay experience.

Located within 5 minutes driving distance from the airport, Island Stay Hotel had a nice location in Lapu Lapu City. There were a couple of eateries and supermarket opposite the hotel. The Cebu Yacht Club was within walking distance too. It gave us a chance to get near the waters even if we are not hitting the beach.

Our room at ground level was spacious as we selected a large room. There were 2 big beds, a small TV, a separate kitchen tap and a working air-conditioning. There were a couple of small insects in our room. It was very quiet though since it faced the car porch and away from the busy road. After our fantastic stay in Manila, it was back to basics in Cebu. The staffs were generally pleasant but not too helpful on some occasions. Room requests were responded quickly though.

Given the low prices we paid for our stay, this was an OK experience for us. There was nothing to rave about. I've stayed in worse places before. Island Stay Hotel in comparsion was average, basic accomodation to end our Philippines trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ground floor if you are not prepared to take the stairs. Also, away from the m...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Suffern, New York
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Last year I gave this place 5 stars for budget accommodation's in Mactan. A year later there are still some great things going for this hotel but also some issues as well. I can not speak about the smaller rooms but their deluxe rooms are nice and big.

The rooms are clean... the staff friendly and the location can't be beat. Walking distance to the Marina mall and several restaurants and located on the main drag, minutes to the airport or new bridge into Cebu. The televisions have excellent cable and many English channels including movie channels like HBO and Stars etc..

The issues I had were simple things that should have been addressed but were not. My room was not cleaned on several occasions when I left the key with the desk and clearly was leaving for the day. I specifically had to ask the desk to clean the room each and every time that was done.

The Wifi Internet was down for over a week and a half. As a business traveler this is just not acceptable and it did not seem to be a priority to the staff either. However once it was fixed, the speed and the signal were both great.

The seal between the aircon and the wall was non existent and the large gap allowed mosquito's, a lizard and other beasties into my room. Some silicone calk would have been a wise option here. This is a problem in all of the rooms.

The beds kinda suck. Medium thickness foam doesn't cut it for some of us with larger frame's.

Overall still one of the best values on Mactan. Just wish they would take care of those little things.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank gotham845
Bacoor, Cavite, Philippines
Reviewed August 13, 2012

me and my bf are leaving to manila at 440PM when we decided to hit SM Mall in mandaue we plan to leave the mall at 4PM since that is my 3rd time in cebu i was ok with it but unfortunately we stuck on a trafic so we end up staying in islands stay for our flight tomrrow morning since it is near the airport and we can't be late anymore

the room they only have was this deluxe room that is too narrow for two person and good thing we don't have any proble with small spaces. it has a TV with cable and the room is with aircon good thing cause they room don't have any window/s.

- the night light is not working.
-bathroom is not well clean
-don't have any "tabo"
-the room paint will plain white that's scary me a bit :(
-aside the reception is a resto, good thing they have a resto cause the place it a bit far from any food service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank simplyelai
Gimhae, South Korea
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I stayed single room of that hotel for 1 night, for the next day, I take the first departing Oceanjet for Bohol. Just next to the Marina mall Mactan, It is very near from the airport.

Positives
1. Cheap price - one room for one night, single traveler, it costs only 950PHP
2. Clean comfortable room - decor with bright color - white, the room looks clean, but has cable TV, air-conditioner, phone, and free WIFI-even I do not use that..;)

Negatives
1. Toilet/Shower room is not perfectly sealed - it has sliding door, so smell-sensitive person like me, can feel bad smell inside the room.
2. If you are taller than 175cm - that's my height -, choose another hotel. I guess the length of the bed is only about 180cm, no extra space- I do not check other rooms, so It may the small room's problem only-.
3. There is no elevator.

Anyway, This hotel is my second best budget hotel in Cebu. If you arrive Cebu in night time, finding only one night staying hotel, this is yours.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank 꿈꾸는사람
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed July 10, 2012

stayed in this budget hotel last april27-30,2012 with my mom and daughter.strategically located near airport, savemore however very hard to get a taxi as taxis are with passengers coming from airport. rooms are big with kitchen.flat screen tv and not so big bathrooms. the staff we're all nice from the security guard , front desk clerks except for the bell boy who refuse to help us carry our bags going to taxi during our check out, he saw us from afar but immediately hide under the stairs.there's also a resto at the lobby for our meals.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank marge1017
Philippines
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Islands definitely gives you more value for money than most hotels of a similar price point.

Basics are there--AC rooms; hot and cold shower; cable TV; and free wifi (though I found it intermittent).

Staff were also very accommodating, and would provide you with requests such as hot water etc.

I've stayed in hotels costing more but are not as clean. The hip modern vibe adds to the appeal, and is actually so simple you'd wonder why others haven't done as well as they have.

I've made a full review on my website>>http://nikkacorsino.com/2012/04/boutique-on-a-budget-islands-stay-hotels-cebu/ including photos.:)

Whenever I'm in Cebu I'll make sure to stay here (or in their Cebu City branch).

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank pnc_148
Muntinlupa, Philippines
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Clean rooms, convenient location if you have an early morning flight, great food in the lobby (Cebu lechon!!) - and best of all - great service!!! No matter what time of day, the staff always greeted with a huge smile!!!

Sleep was easy - although as other reviewers have noted, the blinds/curtains are not very effective in keeping out light so it was very bright in the morning as the windows face the sunrise and also bright at night from the lighting on the corridor. But I brought an eye mask sao was able to sleep in peace.

The rooms were very clean and the staff is very meticulous in keeping the rooms clean - sometimes a bit too eager. I came back to the room once after a quick breakfast to find the staff already hard at work cleaning up my room!

the only negative thing i can find about this place - and i had to think awhile - was the shower curtain was not all that clean and the room service the restaurant in the lobby offered was more like take out and not really room service - but i guess that's not really the fault of the hotel....

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
#11 of 55 in Lapu Lapu
Islands Stay Hotels Uptown Cebu
Islands Stay Hotels Uptown Cebu
#197 of 327 in Cebu Island

Been to Islands Stay Hotels Mactan? Share your experiences!