If you are debating between the Shangri La and here, hands down, choose the Crimson. We spent a week each at both places and couldn't have been happier ending our trip at the Crimson.
Pros at the Crimson:
It's beautiful, newer, and relaxing. You walk in, and it's ahhhhh. Vacation has begun.
-Staff are genuinely happy and helpful. We sat down at Cebueno night, which was their buffet for Cebu street food. Didn't realize there was absolutely nothing for my vegetarian husband. Instead of our waiter saying, sorry, we can't help you, he got a menu from another restaurant so he could order a la carte.
- Medic center was very helpful. My son got sick and my hubby ran out of blood pressure pills and the doc was easy to consult with. Plus doc fee very reasonable.
- Mini bar prices very reasonable, 85 php for a coke.
-Free shuttle to the Malls/city. We didn't realize Shangrila charged until we checked out! 300/per person round trip.
- Nice little note w today's activities outside door every morning. We never even saw a newspaper at the other hotel! Plus they don't charge for the gym/ pool activities.
-Overall food is pretty good, def better than the other place.
-Loved the 'movie on the beach' night. So much fun!
-Does the Shangrila have cool water slides/indoor gym for the kids? Yes. But I think if you are in Cebu for a few days, your kids will have tons of fun here too. (you can also go to the shangrila's indoor slide and pay to enter, it's only a tad more than what a hotel guest has to pay)
-Charging for bottled water at gym. Not cool. 120php!
-Not enough lounge chairs at the pool and beach.
-Room was ok. Not great, not shabby.
- Only ONE white wine by the glass available, the same one in all the restaurants! Ugh.
- Our standard room was quite a walk to the pool/lobby.
-If you stay more than 3 days, the lack of food variety will def get to you. Breakfast is the exact same, every day. Room service menu is the Saffron cafe menu, etc. If you are a vegetarian/ vegan, it will be tough. Not a single bean at the resort ( falafel, hummus, etc) Veggies are not big in Cebu overall.
-Ice cream! I can't believe this place has no decent/real ice cream! And when I mean decent, it is a CRIME to be selling cheap-o/not even made of real milk/doesn't melt, 'ice cream'! My son couldn't even eat it, it was so gross. The first 3 ingredients on the wrapper are--water, sugar, and stabilizer. Seriously, get some New Zealand Natural, Ben and Jerry's or something with real ingredients!
---On a side note, I really hope the hotels educate/put up a sign for hotel visitors about respecting marine life. We saw way too many cigarettes butts in the sand, trash in the water, and feeding of the fish breads and 'lunch leftovers'. Worst of all, we saw a boy using a live starfish as a shovel for his sandcastles, and using it as his 'hammer'. Even after I asked the mother to put the starfish back in the water, she just said, 'oh, he's just having fun', and continued on. Just made me want to cry.....
--Also, we were highly dependent on going to Abaca to eat (we were in Cebu for over 2 weeks). It's a great place for dinner (with a great breakfast as well) and ice cream! It's only a 80php or so ride, one way, and totally worth it. You must make a reservation!
-- Bring lots of mosquito repellant and hydrocortisone. Even though we came during rainy season, it didn't rain once. But mosquitoes were everywhere and were out all times of the day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Synonymous with luxury and personalized service, Crimson Resort and Spa is the new destination and resort to experience. Nestled in one of the country's most prestigious tourist destinations, this exclusive piece of paradise is just 15 minutes away from the Mactan International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd and Travel Book Philippines, Inc. so you can book your Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crimson Resort And Spa, Mactan Hotel Lapu Lapu
- Crimson Resort And Spa, Mactan Cebu Island/Mactan Island